Thread: Rand Paul Stands Out in Courting Black Voters (NY Times)

Rand Paul Stands Out in Courting Black Voters (NY Times)

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/us...ue-speech.html

Rand Paul Stands Out in Courting Black Voters

CINCINNATI — After Mitt Romney received just 6 percent of the black vote in 2012, the Republican Party said that it could no longer afford to ignore African-Americans. “We are never going to win over voters who are not asked for their support,” its leaders wrote in a candid election post-mortem.

Nearly two years later, the party is still struggling to connect. There is one black Republican in Congress, Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina. Republicans in state legislatures nationwide continue to back bills to require people to have identification to cast a ballot, which black leaders have said amounts to legalized voter suppression.

So when Republicans ask blacks to give their party a second look, they have a hard time finding an audience. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky confronted this on Friday when he appeared at a highly publicized speech to the National Urban League Conference to see row after row of empty chairs. The space did not look much fuller after one of the organizers urged people seated near the back to fill in the front rows.
    Last edited by Bryan; 07-26-2014 at 11:10 AM. Reason: trim article

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “Everybody treats the black community as if we have to be told about food stamps and welfare,” she said. “That’s talking to us as if it’s 1964. And I think Rand Paul understands that.”
    Thats good to hear.

Well done, Senator.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Great article.. Rand is really breaking new ground in quite a few ways..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Rand needs to court the Latinos next; they're the fastest-growing voting bloc in the nation.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    Rand needs to court the Latinos next; they're the fastest-growing voting bloc in the nation.
    the dead are the fastest-growing voter bloc in the nation

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    While I agree right now the hard core tea-con attacks anyone that spews anything but hate towards anything related to immigrants. Look at Rand's facebook this insane labeling by them is not good.

I would suggest he needs to breakthrough with women in all honesty as they vote strongly democrat.

He can appeal to Latinos without talking about immigration.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    let's hope we can get some better legislation out of this first. let's get some votes on these prior to general election this year. there are two important issues here: voting rights, sentencing, basic human rights, etc. and Rand winning the election.

if a, then b
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

We need to work on electing a House and a Senate that President Paul can work with.

(WOW, I can't believe I'm uttering the words "President Paul" as an actual possibility!!!)
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032