Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My chickens were stolen last night

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

My chickens were stolen last night

I go to feed them this morning and the door is left ajar. And I think I know who took them. The El Salvadoran gardeners who tend lawn next us. I am so freaking angry right now. Who would steal someone's property so brazenly? And they the were the only ones to see them since they were hidden at the edges of my property. I swear. I will shoot the next vagrant that comes for the rest. 7 chickens. They only took the mature ones. 2 Blue Laced Wyandottes. 3 Buff Brahmas. 2 Barred Rocks. These bastards probably have them in a stew pot by now.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-26-2014 at 07:17 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry to hear that. Have you told your neighbor?

Raccoons are incredibly opposing thumb competent to open latches; though the selectivity for mature birds does seem mighty human.

I say get some more mature chickens from craigslist... then do some tree stand hunting:

Last edited by presence; 07-26-2014 at 07:23 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Raccoons are incredibly opposing thumb competent to open latches.
    Agreed. But here's the problem. Raccoons go into a frenzy around chickens and make an incredible mess of feather and blood. The entire crime scene is immaculate and I tracked damp footprints leading to the main road. Someone offloaded there and then treked across to the coop.

I raised these chickens as chicks and I considered them part of the family. They all had a kind disposition and were warm. I just hope that at the very least they stole them to breed.

They left alone the younger pullets at 19 weeks. These people weren't dumb. I hate to implicate someone but I live in a WASPy area. The neighbors couldn't have taken them. The landscapers on the opposing property were the only souls who knew about them since my compound is situated from eyes. That's my only lead.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I raised these chickens as chicks and I considered them part of the family. They all had a kind disposition and were warm. I just hope that at the very least they stole them to breed.
    hate to be the bearer of bad news... but if the birds were stolen by people... this:

These bastards probably have them in a stew pot by now.
    or freezer meat is much more likely.

Look, amazon has a $50 sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Low-G...ildlife+camera
    Last edited by presence; 07-26-2014 at 07:33 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Raccoons are incredibly opposing thumb competent to open latches; though the selectivity for mature birds does seem mighty human.

I say get some more mature chickens from craigslist... then do some tree stand hunting:

It may well come to that. I have 10 pullets left. They don't start laying until 22 weeks. I know these guys' MO.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It may well come to that. I have 10 pullets left. They don't start laying until 22 weeks. I know these guys' MO.
    Whatever you do... for the love of God...

NEVER CALL THE COPS

It's so funny how I went to incredible lengths to make my compound predator proof without factoring in the human element.

Whatever you do... for the love of God...

NEVER CALL THE COPS
    Yup. I'm in violation of the town's bull$#@! rules as well.

Yup. I'm in violation of the town's bull$#@! rules as well.
    Case in point... all you had to do was not be aware of that statutory rule and your loss from criminal theft would be magnified by a SWAT raid, dead dog, and maimed children.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

That's a shame. SMDH. You may have to lock them up, at night, with real locks.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

If it were me, I think I'd try and get a hold of a dye pack - the kind banks use. and load shells with that. That stuff really stains clothes and skin and doesn't come off...

There is also something called a lock...

you might also cast the bootprint then next time you see them working, cast another after they leave and see if they match...

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 07-26-2014 at 08:09 AM.

It's so funny how I went to incredible lengths to make my compound predator proof without factoring in the human element.
    not a very good plan to be predator-proof forgetting the #1 predator on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    not a very good plan to be predator-proof forgetting the #1 predator on the planet
    very true. You fall into a false sense of security.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The only thing I will add, is when my bike was stolen, I assumed a certain person had taken it. I never confronted him, but when I did find out it was taken by someone else, it kind of humbled me. I realized I was no Sherlock Holmes, that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Front door of adjacent coop

Distance shot of entire structure. I have every side of the compound covered with predator lights (http://www.amazon.com/Best-Predator-.../dp/B00E51X8Q8)

Another long shot:

Shot of side door where they were taken.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-26-2014 at 08:56 AM.

SWEET coops!

-t

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    The only thing I will add, is when my bike was stolen, I assumed a certain person had taken it. I never confronted him, but when I did find out it was taken by someone else, it kind of humbled me. I realized I was no Sherlock Holmes, that day.
    I'm trying to find a motive. Only a select few have seen them since I'm in violation of the 'maximum 5' rule. So that's who I narrowed it down to. Unless one of the gardeners went to go look at them and they bolted out the door. That's possible since the chooks are antsy in the morning. They drop out of the elevated coop like determined paratroopers in the morning.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-26-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Worse feeling is not knowing for sure what happened. A sense of being violated and not knowing the details is upsetting.

Nice coop by the way. I shared the thread with someone I know who is making plans to build one.

Is that a kit or handy work?

Beautiful coop, sorry to hear about your birds. I hope you can find out what happened.

I may have found a lead...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	set+your+chickens+free.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	2819

-t

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Watch at sunset to see if any are waiting to get back into the chicken house. I let mine run around all day and sometimes I can't find all of them, but just before dusk, they are all back on their roosts. I just count them to make sure they are all there and then close the door for the night. Maybe the door being ajar this morning allowed some to get out and they are just having a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by newbitech View Post
    Worse feeling is not knowing for sure what happened. A sense of being violated and not knowing the details is upsetting.

Nice coop by the way. I shared the thread with someone I know who is making plans to build one.

Is that a kit or handy work?
    It's two kits combined. One kit is built better (the smaller one) and the other one (larger end), while having a great design, is suspect in terms of materials (really soft cedar) and cheap hardware. I have a feeling I will be doing continual maintenance on the other, especially when winter hits. Given how expensive lumber has become I decided to just obtain the kits and modify accordingly:

Lower end:
    http://www.greengardenchicken.com/in...product_id=279

Higher end (the one with shoddy mats and questionable hardware -- I got a great deal on Ebay):
    http://www.amazon.com/Pawhut-Extra-L.../dp/B00DWJ54NO
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-26-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Stealing another man's chickens? That just ain't right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb16.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	2820
    Yes indeed.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Stealing another man's chickens? That just ain't right.
    Dogs have slaughtered many of my chickens over the years. So I have less pity on doggies, when cops take them out than most here. I know, I'm a collectivist
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast