Thread: Americans Still Oppose Lowering the Drinking Age - 74% to 25%

Americans Still Oppose Lowering the Drinking Age - 74% to 25%

SMH That is astounding. What a bunch of control freak nannies. An 18-year-old is tried as an adult, can go to war, pay taxes, and enter into contracts, but Americans still won't allow them to have a GD drink (and according to this, the 21 and under crowd are fine with that).

http://www.gallup.com/poll/174077/lo...nking-age.aspx

Thirty years after federal legislation established 21 as a uniform minimum age to drink alcohol in all states, Americans are widely opposed to lowering the legal drinking age to 18. Seventy-four percent say they would oppose such legislation, while 25% would favor it. The level of opposition is similar to what Gallup has measured in the past.

In 1984, President Ronald Reagan signed into law a bill that withheld a portion of federal highway funds from states that did not have a minimum drinking age of 21. A Gallup Poll conducted weeks before Reagan signed the law found Americans widely favored raising the drinking age to 21, by 79% to 18%.
    [...]
    Despite the progress made in reducing traffic deaths involving alcohol, drunk driving remains a factor in many automobile fatalities. Also, one of the major concerns with alcohol today is binge drinking among young adults, and it is not clear that having a higher drinking age helps in that regard. Rather, some experts suggest lowering the drinking age, and teaching teens and young adults to drink responsibly at a younger age, would help to reduce the allure of alcohol to those forbidden by law to possess it.

But Americans are either not aware of or not persuaded by such arguments, given that public support for a minimum drinking age of 21 seems pretty solid and consistent over the past three decades.
    [...]

[...]
    Implications

It is widely known that underage drinking remains common in the U.S., despite the uniform minimum drinking age of 21 in all states. One proposed solution to the problem is to lower the drinking age to 18. Although such a move could be seen as giving in to law-breaking, it may also encourage those under 21 who drink to do so in public settings where their alcohol intake can be better monitored.

The United States' minimum age of 21 is higher than in nearly every other country. Further, there are questions about why those under 21 cannot legally drink alcohol when they are permitted to drive, vote, and serve in the military. In fact, that was the rationale that led many states to lower the drinking age to below 21 in the 1970s. Of course, those changes in the law created their own set of problems with drunk driving, although that may have been partly a result of the lack of uniformity in state drinking laws as well as irresponsible drinking by those between the ages of 18 and 20.

In any case, the public is widely opposed to lowering the drinking age, and has been for some time. Thus, any proposed legislation to legalize drinking at the age of 18 is unlikely to succeed unless Americans' attitudes on the proper minimum drinking change. Even change in public attitudes alone may not be enough to change the law, as tying federal highway funds to a minimum drinking age of 21 is an incentive for states to leave their laws unchanged.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lame.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Because...MADD

But you can join the military at 17 with parental permission to go fight monsters abroad.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

LOWERING THE DRINKING AGE AMOUNTS TO A CONCESSION THAT GOVERNMENT CAN SAY WHAT AGE WE CAN DO THINGS AND STUFF

Should we do something to all of the Southern, conservative, Republican, elderly voters with little government education that regularly attend church and don't drink alcohol? Nah. But sadly, almost 100% of them voted against Ron Paul and will likely vote against Rand Paul too. We need to find a way to reach the evil statists.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTSRSLY View Post
    LOWERING THE DRINKING AGE AMOUNTS TO A CONCESSION THAT GOVERNMENT CAN SAY WHAT AGE WE CAN DO THINGS AND STUFF
    You cannot be serious?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    WHAT'S THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER YOUR LACK OF PUNCTUATION BUT YOU DO HAVE MY ATTENTION WHICH IS WHAT I AM GUESSING IS THE POINT OF YOUR PARTICULAR STYLE OF SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    But you can join the military at 17 with parental permission to go fight monsters abroad.
    Yup. When I was in, I knew 17 year olds. Though, people weren't exactly carded where I went for training...

People under 21 that I know are solidly in favor of lowering the drinking age.
    Stop believing stupid things

I was buyin' beer w/ a fake ID from 15 on, kickin' the bar scene w/ college chicks at 17 ftw!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

What are you talking about? Having a drinking age at all does that.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

I would have answered "oppose" to the question as well. I wouldn't support a federal law that would force every state to lower the legal drinking age to 18. Where does the federal government get the Constitutional authority to pass such a law? The issue should be decided by the states.

Either indoctrination has worked well or the poll is a load of marlarkey. Every 18-29 yr/ old I know would like to see 18 yrs. legal. 100%.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-24-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Whats really going on here is people are being deprived of the opportunity to learn how to drink responsibly. We dont need Govt to tell us this number of years is bad and that number of years is good. Being 18 or 21 is a focus on a number, and that number does not directly corolate to a level of responsibility. We could also look at other statistics. Ice Cream sales increase during summer months, so do break ins, thus the corolation is that ice cream causes crime, which simply is not true. Corolation is not equal to causation.

More hiding behind children, but since this is not new, it should be obvious hiding behind children has always been the tactic of real terrorists and politcians.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I guess abolishing the drinking age is out of the question?
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I want legislation putting the drinking age at 80.

Maybe then these idiots will learn that making behavior harmful to no one illegal is for $#@! wits who get off on watching the Government punish behavior with boots to the neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    I guess abolishing the drinking age is out of the question?
    The Communists in Cuba and Vietnam don't have a drinking age. What are you, a Communist?!?!
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/LegalDrinkingAge.html

I think we ought pass a law that requires every Congressman and Senator to experience Police Brutality first hand and have the jackboot on their throat before being considered as eligible for office. Oh, and Cops before graduating from Cop School too. Oh, and, aw $#@! it, anyone that works for Govt, period.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I would have answered "oppose" to the question as well. I wouldn't support a federal law that would force every state to lower the legal drinking age to 18. Where does the federal government get the Constitutional authority to pass such a law? The issue should be decided by the states.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    I want legislation putting the drinking age at 80.

Maybe then these idiots will learn that making behavior harmful to no one illegal is for $#@! wits who get off on watching the Government punish behavior with boots to the neck.
    I think helmets in cars should be mandatory as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I think helmets in cars should be mandatory as well.
    Bikers already have to wear helmets in 47 states. Why not drivers?

I'd up the minimum age to join the military to 21, at least right to kill for the government will be the same as right to be drunken. I think peoples brains start turning on around that age, and fully engaged by 30. So, at least the little guppies will have a bit longer to think before being brain washed.

Hell, a military recruiter came by when I was close to graduating high school, I almost joined, back then if you'd asked me what I was, I'd have said democrat most likely, and what I thought about US wars I'd probably been pro all of them. Then I switched to republican early 2000's, just because they sounded more fiscally responsible, then mid twenties-30's morphed in to the political mind of perfection I am today.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

States can have any drinking age limit they want. They are just scared they will lose federal funds
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Bikers already have to wear helmets in 47 states. Why not drivers?
    I think it's less than that, but still...safety first.

In fact, more people are killed every year by slips trips and falls around the house, than are killed by drunk drivers.

I think 24/7 mandatory helmet usage should be enforced, with in home sureveillance to monitor for compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Yeah, at first I was annoyed and then I thought MAYBE a small percentage of people who are reading are thinking along these lines?

Although, at a state level, I would vote against any drinking age. I can understand (note that that doesn't mean I'm thrilled with it) an age limit to buy the stuff but if a parent wants to let their kid drink at home or anywhere else, why is that anyone else's business?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    What are you talking about? Having a drinking age at all does that.
    SO LONG AS ONE PRIVATE CLUB IN LUXEMBOURG DENIES A DRINK TO INFANTS I REFUSE TO COMPROMiSE

thats stupid. I worked on the MO 18 to drink ballot initiative. We weren't able to get it on the ballot but at least is was worth a try.

Poll: 73 Percent Of Americans Unable To Believe This $#@!

PRINCETON, NJ–According to the latest Gallup Poll, conducted Monday and Tuesday of this week, nearly three out of four Americans can no longer believe this $#@!.

In addition to the 73 percent of poll respondents who described this $#@! as "beyond belief," 9 percent said they could "hardly" believe this $#@!, with another 5 percent "just barely" believing it. An additional 13 percent said they "couldn't give a flying $#@! about the whole goddamn thing."

The poll also found that the National $#@!-Credulity Index (NSCI) has hit an all-time low, with only 2 percent of Americans describing themselves as "fully confident of [their] capacity to believe this $#@!."

"The American people have had to deal with this kind of $#@! for years," Gallup Organization president Lee Sanderson said, "but now, for the first time, it appears that the vast majority of them just can't $#@!ing believe it anymore."

"In all honesty, who can blame them?" Sanderson added. "Regardless of one's political affiliation, socioeconomic status, religion or just about any other viewpoint, you've got to admit, the $#@! that's been going on lately is way out of hand."

In the wake of the poll, many activists are calling upon America's leaders to get their $#@! in gear.

"The American people have had it up to here with this $#@!heap," said James Schuerholz, president of the D.C.-based Heritage Foundation. "There is a public mandate for our leaders to cut this $#@! out, and it's high time they finally did."

Despite Americans' incredulity over this $#@!, historians note that this sort of $#@! has been going on for years and is unlikely to end anytime soon.

"Contrary to popular belief, this type of $#@! is hardly anything new," Harvard University American history professor Lawrence Coombs said. "The same $#@! was going down 50, 100 and 150 years ago. The only difference was, back then, you never read about that $#@! in the newspapers."

Calling the American people's enormous $#@!-belief capacity "one of the cornerstones of our democracy," U.S. Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) stressed that it is the patriotic duty of all citizens to grant our leaders the benefit of the doubt with regard to their $#@!.

"If the American people are no longer willing to believe this $#@!, who will?" Kerry said. "Somebody's got to take this $#@! at face value. Otherwise, why are we even doing all this $#@! in the first place? I am truly saddened by the lack of faith that the citizens of this country are willing to put in my $#@!, as well as that of my esteemed colleagues. We must repair our society's fraying trust in the $#@! of our elected officials, or you would not believe the kind of hardcore, heavy-duty $#@! that will come down."

"America," conservative author and social critic Patricia Stouffer said, "is seriously losing its $#@!. But we've got to somehow hold our $#@! in place until all this passes. We've got to learn to believe in $#@! again. After this latest $#@!storm, it may take years to accomplish, but we must somehow find the strength to put our trust back into the nation's $#@!."

Despite such impassioned calls for faith in the U.S. political system and all the $#@! that comes with it, if the Gallup Poll is any indication, the majority of Americans are no longer willing to put up with the $#@!.

"$#@! that $#@!," said Evansville, IN, day-care provider Helen Reiderer. "I'm tired of hearing about it. Do they actually expect us to still believe that load of $#@!?"

"If you ask me, the $#@! is about to hit the fan," said Reiderer's husband Frank. "As far as I'm concerned, all that $#@! is just too much to be believed."

Another disgruntled citizen, Wenatchee, WA, tractor salesman Tom Huard, summed up the sentiments of most Americans when, holding up the front page of the local newspaper to friend Benjamin Pritchard, he said, "Jesus, Ben, can you believe this?"

"$#@!, no," Pritchard replied.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.