Thread: Rand Paul interview with Nick Gillespie of ReasonTV

Rand Paul interview with Nick Gillespie of ReasonTV

Rand Paul: Republicans Can Only Win if "They Become More Live and Let Live"

Nick Gillespie & Paul Detrick | July 23, 2014

"I think Republicans could only win in general if they become more live and let live," Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) tells Reason TV at Lincoln Labs' Reboot Conference, which was held July 18-20 in San Francisco.

Paul sat down with Nick Gillespie to talk about the future of the GOP, the need to reach the 80-million-strong Millennial Generation, why having a strong national defense doesn't mean constant military interventions, and what Washington, D.C. can learn from the entrepreneurial culture of Silicon Valley.

When asked whether he would vote to end the taxpayer-funded Export-Import Bank, which helps foreign companies buy U.S. products, is widely seen as a leading example of corporate welfare, and is coming up for a vote in September, Paul replied:

Absolutely. If I’m a Republican and I’m going out and saying, “We have limited resources and we can’t have everyone on food stamps,” by golly I need to be a Republican who says “we’re not giving one penny of corporate welfare.”

About 13 minutes.

Interview by Nick Gillespie. Edited by Paul Detrick. Shot by Detrick and Tracy Oppenheimer. Music by Podington Bear and photos by Elvert Barnes and thisisbossi.

http://reason.com/reasontv/2014/07/2...alley-innovati

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He was getting criticized heavily by Steve Deace for his "live and let live" comment.

"When asked whether he would vote to end the taxpayer-funded Export-Import Bank, which helps foreign companies buy U.S. products, is widely seen as a leading example of corporate welfare, and is coming up for a vote in September, Paul replied:

Absolutely. If I’m a Republican and I’m going out and saying, “We have limited resources and we can’t have everyone on food stamps,” by golly I need to be a Republican who says “we’re not giving one penny of corporate welfare.”

Not crazy about cozying up to the foreign policy of Eisenhower, Bush Sr, Reagan, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    "When asked whether he would vote to end the taxpayer-funded Export-Import Bank, which helps foreign companies buy U.S. products, is widely seen as a leading example of corporate welfare, and is coming up for a vote in September, Paul replied:

That was good

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    He was getting criticized heavily by Steve Deace for his "live and let live" comment.
    I don't personally word my stance that way, but I think its obvious what Rand Paul means. You'd have to be blind to think Rand Paul is a libertine. I could see it being a little more of an issue if somebody like Gary Johnson had said it (I don't necessarily think he's a libertine either, but at least in a superficial sense he arguably looks like one. Rand does not.)

In most places, B-Corporations are Agenda 21.

Because live and let live is such an offensive statement. Steave Deace is still butthurt because we trounced his boy on his own poll so bad that he had to take the whole thing down. Cry baby.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You have to be careful with Benefit Corporations. They sound great on paper, but in execution they are almost always "Public Private Partnerships" driving the code-word version of "sustainability."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post

I hope he looks into this and really develops a nuanced view. On principle I agree with his statement, but in practice, he needs to provide more substance. The Export-Import Bank is vitally important to many US businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    You have to be careful with Benefit Corporations. They sound great on paper, but in execution they are almost always "Public Private Partnerships" driving the code-word version of "sustainability."
    Yeah, I don't get the Benefit Corporation thing. I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit.

As far as I can tell, it's nothing more than a PR stunt. Many corporations and businesses do things for the community. Why the need for this B-Corp designation?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, I don't get the Benefit Corporation thing. I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit.

As far as I can tell, it's nothing more than a PR stunt. Many corporations and businesses do things for the community. Why the need for this B-Corp designation?
    It's another kind of 501(c) but for companies instead of churches. And you can bet it will be heavily regulated; and ICLEI is pushing them hard because they want to be the regulators.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    I hope he looks into this and really develops a nuanced view. On principle I agree with his statement, but in practice, he needs to provide more substance. The Export-Import Bank is vitally important to many US businesses.
    I at least feel it is a start to preventing and combating the anti-environment attacks that will come from the left.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Because live and let live is such an offensive statement. Steave Deace is still butthurt because we trounced his boy on his own poll so bad that he had to take the whole thing down. Cry baby.
    It's not an offensive statement, but it's kind of left wing rhetoric. The left uses the "live and let live" rhetoric to argue that women should be free to get abortions. I don't think that's what Rand meant, but he needs to be careful of how he phrases things. I defended Rand on Deace's Facebook page, but I still think that he could've phrased it better.

It's not an offensive statement, but it's kind of left wing rhetoric. The left uses the "live and let live" rhetoric to argue that women should be free to get abortions. I don't think that's what Rand meant, but he needs to be careful of how he phrases things. I defended Rand on Deace's Facebook page, but I still think that he could've phrased it better.
    Wouldn't abortion be more like "live and don't let live" ?

All I noticed was our next POTUS.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.