Thread: The Leader of the Unfree World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation The Leader of the Unfree World

The Leader of the Unfree World

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ors_picks=true

<snip>

That graph is from a recent report by Prison Policy Initiative, an invaluable resource on mass incarceration. (PPI also has a disturbing graph comparing state incarceration rates with those of other countries around the world, which I highly recommend looking at here.) "Although our level of crime is comparable to those of other stable, internally secure, industrialized nations," the report says, "the United States has an incarceration rate far higher than any other country."

Some individual states like Louisiana contribute disproportionately, but no state is free from mass incarceration. Disturbingly, many states' prison populations outrank even those of dictatorships and illiberal democracies around the world. New York jails more people per capita than Rwanda, where tens of thousands await trial for their roles in the 1994 genocide. California, Illinois, and Ohio each have a higher incarceration rate than Cuba and Russia. Even Maine and Vermont imprison a greater share of people than Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, or Egypt.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's one way to get people's attention. The article is definitely worth a read.

It's a disgrace that the nation which touts itself as the "beacon of freedom" is in truth, the largest jailer in the world.

The laws which put people in prison are the fruit of democracy, which the United States isn't supposed to be.

Under the Constitution, the US is a Republic, where a minority (DEA, M.A.D.D, district attorneys, and ignorant voters) can't impose their will on the majority (you and me).

Virtually everything the thug-state is doing to lock people up, in particular, the war on drugs, is illegal from a Constitutional point of view.
    Last edited by DFF; 07-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Does that mean they don't hate us for our freedom anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Victimless crimes are a racket
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."