Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California’s Drought Could Tip America To Economic And Social Turmoil

California’s Drought Could Tip America To Economic And Social Turmoil

California’s Drought Could Tip America To Economic And Social Turmoil

July 23, 2014

“We never know the worth of water, till the well is dry.” — saying No. 5451, as collected and listed in Gnomologia by Thomas Fuller, M.D.

Some of the worst drought conditions in recorded history have stricken California, and this will have a blistering effect on America’s economy.

California is into its third year of severe drought, a situation that promoted U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to announce $9.7 million in new agriculture aid. This will top the Barack Obama Administration’s aid to the Golden State at more than $50 million dollars, a total that will undoubtedly grow because of Washington’s worries of a perfect storm — a tsunami of illegal immigrants and a dearth of water.

Last Saturday, the Los Angeles Times carried a story headlined, “California drought will only get worse, experts say.” The story reported that 80 percent of the State is suffering extreme drought, and Brian Fuchs of the National Drought Mitigation Center believes that conditions are not likely to improve. When asked if it is possible that the State is suffering its worst water shortage in 50 years, Fuchs suggested it could be the worst drought in 200 to 300 years and then understated the situation by saying, “It would be a significant event.”

http://personalliberty.com/californi...ocial-turmoil/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The good news is that California paved over a ton of farmland and built condensed housing. Agriculture tends to use more water than houses. The bad news is that turning off the water to crops is fairly easy, but turning off the water to all of those houses is more problematic. No worries, massive immigration will solve all of those problems. The new immigrants won't complain about lack of cheap potable running water.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

hmmmm.. as far as I am concerned that fact that they aren't doing heavy desalinization of coastal waters for potable/irrigation water says to me that they dont know what the hell they are doing. until they start doing such a thing, I have absolutely no sympathy for that fascist $#@!ing state.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    hmmmm.. as far as I am concerned that fact that they aren't doing heavy desalinization of coastal waters for potable/irrigation water says to me that they dont know what the hell they are doing. until they start doing such a thing, I have absolutely no sympathy for that fascist $#@!ing state.
    They probably just can't get the necessary California desalination permits and the environmental impact studies approved. It's not called the People's Republic of California for no reason. They've got how many miles of coastlines?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    They probably just can't get the necessary California desalination permits and the environmental impact studies approved. It's not called the People's Republic of California for no reason. They've got how many miles of coastlines?
    Yep. It's environmental nonsense, NIMBYs, and the fact that most coastline anywhere near a populated area is already owned and extremely valuable. Too valuable for industrial purposes. The $20 million dollar homes don't want to look at a new water plant. Plus, the cost is prohibitive, even more so with all of the resistance. Cheaper to just wait for rain.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

hmmmm.. as far as I am concerned that fact that they aren't doing heavy desalinization of coastal waters for potable/irrigation water says to me that they dont know what the hell they are doing.
    They have great ideas. Most of them involve demolishing existing dams so that everything will be more natural.

OP why do you not believe in the free market?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yep. It's environmental nonsense, NIMBYs, and the fact that most coastline anywhere near a populated area is already owned and extremely valuable. Too valuable for industrial purposes. The $20 million dollar homes don't want to look at a new water plant. Plus, the cost is prohibitive, even more so with all of the resistance. Cheaper to just wait for rain.
    A 500 year drought seems pretty significant and drastic. Are we waiting for el nino or la nina? I can't keep track.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    I'm just about as ancap as they come.

I'm just about as ancap as they come.
    then why do you not think the market will adjust to this?

Looks like we are going to have to tighten the belt. The Central Valley produces a lot of food. If they really do make cuts the effects could be wide spread.

Also some of the migrant labor will be expected to return home.

On the flip side I think I feeling El Nino-ish. It feels here but Winter isn't here yet which should bring the rain. Knock on wood.

then why do you not think the market will adjust to this?
    What did I say that leads you to that very strange conclusion?

Probable market adjustments, increase of foreign foodstuffs imports, rising prices due to decreased supply, there's probably some others too.

What did I say that leads you to that very strange conclusion?

Probable market adjustments, increase of foreign foodstuffs imports, rising prices due to decreased supply, there's probably some others too.
    "California’s Drought Could Tip America To Economic And Social Turmoil"

seriously you don't understand where I think you have lost faith in the market if you think that $#@!tarded state could send us into "turmoil" ?

"California’s Drought Could Tip America To Economic And Social Turmoil"

seriously you don't understand where I think you have lost faith in the market if you think that $#@!tarded state could send us into "turmoil" ?
    I haven't checked for a while, but last I heard California had the world's seventh largest economy. Hardly insignificant. Do I need to add that I didn't write the OP?

then pray tell whats your opinion on it?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what free market?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    what free market?
    the one that I am aware of that is in constant struggle against the centrally planned one

the one that I am aware of that is in constant struggle against the centrally planned one
    And you don't think that struggle ends (at least temporarily) in turmoil? I'm pretty sure that survivors of other economic collapses would disagree with that.

And you don't think that struggle ends (at least temporarily) in turmoil? I'm pretty sure that survivors of other economic collapses would disagree with that.
    f*** no turmoil brings the real market to the fore

f*** no turmoil brings the real market to the fore
    So there will be turmoil?

So there will be turmoil?
    see no I do not think so, I think humans mostly are evolving

the meek (I think that word had deeper meaning back in the day) shall inherit the earth, and I think its closer than the militant douchebags are aware

see no I do not think so, I think humans mostly are evolving
    Can you name some instances in history of when governments or economic systems have come to an end and there was not turmoil during the transition?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you name some instances in history of when governments or economic systems have come to an end and there was not turmoil during the transition?
    can you name an instance when the "black market aka free market" did not expand greatly during such a turmoil?

When asked if it is possible that the State is suffering its worst water shortage in 50 years, Fuchs suggested it could be the worst drought in 200 to 300 years and then understated the situation by saying, “It would be a significant event.”

Fuchs echoed what B. Lynn Ingram, a professor of earth and planetary sciences at the University of California, Berkeley told The New York Times in February, “We are on track for having the worst drought in 500 years.”
    Tulsa had a flood in 1974 that they called a '100 year flood' At that time, the city was about 76 years old. About a decade later there was a worse flood. They called it a five hundred year flood.

Later they were forced to admit that the flooding happened on a flood plain and they pulled both numbers out of their asses.

However, the first indicators of inflation are already present. The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported that the cost of food has increased 2.5 percent in the past year. That is a good number, but the Federal government is predicting — overly cautiously, I believe — that food prices will rise by an additional 3.5 percent in 2014, with prices for dairy and fresh vegetables expected to increase the most.
    And as much agriculture as California produces, the Great Plains, also known as the Breadbasket of the World, produces a hell of a lot more--and we're having an unusually wet summer and recovering some from The New Perpetual Drought. This is just kissing Californian ass because it's a big market with a lot of voters in it and trying to find a convenient scapegoat because now that we've had half a decade of Quantitative Easing no one can afford to eat.

I call b.s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Desalinization costs more than twice what it costs to import water (from the Sierra Nevada Mountains or the Colorado River mostly). Why would a rational entity pay more than they have to? Would you be in favor of paying double your current water taxes to build one in your area?

There is a plant under construction in Carlsbad, CA. San Diego alone would need at least 15 such plants just for drinking water. It is estimated to cost $1 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Desalinization costs more than twice what it costs to import water (from the Sierra Nevada Mountains or the Colorado River mostly). Why would a rational entity pay more than they have to? Would you be in favor of paying double your current water taxes to build one in your area?

There is a plant under construction in Carlsbad, CA. San Diego alone would need at least 15 such plants just for drinking water. It is estimated to cost $1 billion.
    if you build a big frigging glass dome with a rain gutter type thing on the inside rim evaporation does the job... stupid ass scientists things only membranes can do it

if you build a big frigging glass dome with a rain gutter type thing on the inside rim evaporation does the job... stupid ass scientists things only membranes can do it
    How big a "frigging dome" do we need to get water for the whole state of California? How many gallons a day can a dome produce (the Carlsbad plant will produce 50 million gallons a day)?

= Endless water for coastal communities

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast