Thread: Rand Paul is the Big Political Winner in Israel-Hamas War

Rand Paul is the Big Political Winner in Israel-Hamas War

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...medium=twitter

Increasingly, Israelis have had enough, and more are arguing that they should stop relying on American aid. In 2013, as Breitbart News noted, some Israelis were prepared to make that argument privately.
    Yet an increasing number of conservatives, both in Israel and the U.S., are arguing that as much as military aid helps in the short term, funding Iron Dome missile batteries and the like, it comes as a strategic cost to Israel--as well as a fiscal cost to American taxpayers.

Rand Paul's challenge has been to prove that he wants to cut aid to Israel for Israel's own sake--and not to hurt Israel, as some of his (and his father's) supporters wish to do.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    there is sooo much wrong in a political world that can equate anything there with "winning."

bastard politicians.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

"and not to hurt Israel, as some of his (and his father's) supporters wish to do."

I'd like to ask the author for his source for this.

"When you subsidize something, you get more of it."

This applies to strife and warfare. There should be no subsidies. And many interventionists argue that "we pay them to keep the peace." But what exactly is "peace" in this context? It is not real peace. There is peace in Japan. Do we pay them to stay peaceful? No.

In the context of interventionism and violence, "peace" is nothing more than a temporary ceasefire in order to gain funds, and when more funds are desired, more war and violence will be created in order to extort more "peace" payments. This has nothing to do with true peace. It actually subsidizes, rewards and incentivizes violence, death and destruction.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    "and not to hurt Israel, as some of his (and his father's) supporters wish to do."

DailyPaul.com

uhm, he could find plenty evidence of that right here on rpfs over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    uhm, he could find plenty evidence of that right here on rpfs over the years.
    What I notice is that he said "his (and his father's)" as opposed to just "his father's." He also didn't use any qualifiers like "seem to."

I think that means those pesky supporters of Rand's Dad that Rand hasn't managed to shake off yet.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What I notice is that he said "his (and his father's)" as opposed to just "his father's." He also didn't use any qualifiers like "seem to."
    Come on, let's not play stupid here: its a factual statement.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Come on, let's not play stupid here: its a factual statement.
    I disagree.

I disagree.
    I've met such people in real life and plenty online so we are just gonna have to agree to disagree.

as some of his (and his father's) supporters wish to do.
    @@

Mercer wrote this piece for Ron in '07:

"Conservatives once had choice words for foreign aid. It was 'money down a rathole' (Jesse Helms), and it amounted to 'putting Ghana over Grandma' (Tom DeLay). Duly, Dr. Ron Paul opposes all foreign aid because it's unauthorized by the Constitution. The American Founding Fathers believed, as does Dr. Paul, that politicians have no right to be benevolent with funds belonging to the people.

So while it is true that the Israeli government will be (annually) $2.58 billion the poorer under a Paul administration, neighboring Muslim governments, most of which are ill-disposed toward Israel, will be deprived of much more than that. More material, the Israeli people will be the richer. Why so? Because, as any economist worth his salt knows, foreign aid, being a government-to-government transfer, grows the public sector in the recipient country at the expense of the private, productive economy. Warren Buffet, after all, recently chose to invest $4 billion in Israeli industry, not in the Israeli government. Like Mr. Buffet, Dr. Paul believes the Israeli people possess in abundance what economist Lord Peter Bauer called 'the faculties, attitudes and institutions favorable to material progress.'
    [...]
    HE WHO PAYS THE PIPER CALLS THE TUNE. For foreign aid, Israeli leaders have been forced to subordinate their country's national interests to Washington's whims. This is bad for both allies. Those of us who want the U.S. to stay solvent—and out of the affairs of others—recognize that sovereign nation-states that resist, not enable, our imperial impulses, are the best hindrance to hegemonic overreach. Patriots for a sane U.S. foreign policy ought to encourage all America's friends, especially Israel, to push back and do what is in their national interest, not ours.
    http://www.ilanamercer.com/phprunner...#ixzz38KfA35NB
    Last edited by Lucille; 07-23-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I have to say that there are some anti-israel people in the Rand/Ron Paul/liberty movement.

It's undeniable in my view.
    Though we can bicker about what exactly is anti-Israel ... I'm sure whatever standard we set will leave some with that label.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedChicken View Post
    I have to say that there are some anti-israel people in the Rand/Ron Paul/liberty movement.

It's undeniable in my view.
    Though we can bicker about what exactly is anti-Israel ... I'm sure whatever standard we set will leave some with that label.
    Anti-Israel is a more vague term. But he said they want to hurt Israel. I wonder if he's ever encountered a Rand Paul supporter who actually said they wanted to hurt Israel.

There are some out and out neo nazis floating around here. Just pure 'exterminate all the jews because they are secretly stealing from us with the central banks' etc etc. Some people want to 'End the Fed' to 'End the Jews'. Its linked in their minds.

Being the open movement that we are, we have of course got the opposite end of the spectrum, those who wish to punish Israel because they support Palestine and/or hate the UN and global government. They think the world would be better off without the UN or Israel.

And there are some who think Israel nee to be attacked or punished to fulfill biblical prophesy.

There are as many flavours as people around here.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

I can't say I want to hurt Israel, but I have absolutely no desire to help Israel in any way, shape, or form.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    I can't say I want to hurt Israel, but I have absolutely no desire to help Israel in any way, shape, or form.
    Are you a Rand Paul supporter?

Are you a Rand Paul supporter?
    Indeed.

I think these kinds of conflicts are a testament to the liberty movement's openness. Our ability to promote a common cause despite the coalition consisting of those who we might (vehemently) disagree with, makes us great.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Anti-Israel is a more vague term. But he said they want to hurt Israel. I wonder if he's ever encountered a Rand Paul supporter who actually said they wanted to hurt Israel.
    If "hurting Israel" means not recognizing the Israel as a legitimate state and supporting the Palestinians' claim to the land, then there are plenty of them in the Ron/Rand grassroots.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Last edited by Dr.3D; 07-23-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    If "hurting Israel" means not recognizing the Israel as a legitimate state and supporting the Palestinians' claim to the land, then there are plenty of them in the Ron/Rand grassroots.
    The zionists have played the race card as many times as Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton, it will eventually get old.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

I was sitting at a table in a hospital cafeteria in Toronto speaking with three gentlemen who claimed to be Jewish. I asked them if being Jewish was a race or a religion and they all agreed it was a religion and not a race.