Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 310

Thread: Creating a Free Town or County

  1. #31

    Default

    Waco, pop
    -quite a few domestic terrorists.
    Sign up, Log in:
    http://forums.officer.com/
    Surviving
    http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/

    Does the fucking victim have family? Why does the precinct still exist?



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32

    Default

    you will be free when you are ready to die and kill.
    Sign up, Log in:
    http://forums.officer.com/
    Surviving
    http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/

    Does the fucking victim have family? Why does the precinct still exist?

  4. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    I think so too (it was in Guyana, South America)
    Oh, my mistake.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

    Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

    Website: http://www.grandtstories.com/

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

    Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

    BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

  5. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Great post.

    What would be the first step in your reboot?
    I would be interested in having any ideas you have. But as a rough starting idea, I was thinking that we could first identify people who would support such a thing. I have brought this up occasionally and as such have a little list of RPFers who have PMed me over the years that they are very excited about the possibility. If there is enough interest, perhaps we can convince Bryan, the site owner, to set us up a little sub-section where we can talk and build a community.

    Then we can find some sort of crowdfunding-type site that we can talk into listing the project on their site, with the variant that number of pledgers is a limiting factor as well as total amount of dollars pledged. Or we could find some other trustworthy and uninterested third party; an escrow service perhaps.

    So the first step is to gauge the feasibility by trying to find as many people as possible who are so sick of not having liberty and committed to getting liberty that they are willing to uproot themselves and relocate. Then we can gather together here as like-minded individuals and take stock of the situation.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  6. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    I agree although I would change the wording from "take over" to "join with the locals to move the county/town closer to liberty." Words matter
    Yes, that does sound better, and is a much better description of what we'd be actually doing.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  7. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
    While I love the idea...

    I have to wonder, is such a thing possible?

    If you take over a town, the County, State and Federal Codes and Law still rule you.

    How do you get around that?

    Just curious
    Having a very libertarian town or county would go a very long way to creating the kind of society we want in that town or county. Not all the way, true. But you'd best at least hold a small hill somewhere before you spend too much time making elaborate plans for conquering Europe.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  8. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    Here is some data for you, counties under 1k pop (2012 est)

    Loving County, Texas 71
    Kalawao County, Hawaii 90
    ...
    Thanks, Tony! And as a note, I have personally seen with my own eyes both of the smallest: Loving County, out in the flatlands of Texas, and the leper colony on Molokai.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  9. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Federal and state law depends to a large extent on local enforcement. If city and county law enforcement are limited in their authority, State and federal law will still be in effect in theory, but not so much in practice. However, if someone complains to a State or Federal agency about something (like labor law violations, for example) it is likely that state or federal agents would come to town and do their thing.

    So you couldn't create a fully free town or county but you could move a fair bit in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    It takes a lot of resources for federal and state governments to enforce federal and state laws, especially if a local government decides to go against them. For instance, marijuana is still illegal on the federal level, meaning Washington and Colorado are technically defying the US government. Obviously, there are limits to what you can do, but there are a great number of local codes and edicts that can be changed or done away with that will greatly improve freedom and won't attract too much attention.

    From what I can tell, the Free State Project in NH has done some good things for that state, so the only real issue is getting enough people on board.
    Exactly, men!
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  10. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    Unfortunately, Kalawao County is actually the old leper colony. The population is limited to the living original inhabitants and no new inhabitants are allowed.
    I actually know people on Molokai. I have family there. I am pretty confident that this could be changed, if need be. So that option is not closed to us.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  11. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    This is in the permian basin. I'm not familiar with Texas geography but it looks like its around 50 miles out of Midland/Odessa area which is the 'boomiest' area for oil jobs in Texas.
    There are, indeed, many, many oil wells sprouting out of the flat, flat earth there. And it is flat. As I was driving down the highway on my scouting expedition to check out the county, I had to at one point stop the car and just look all around me at the panorama of astonishing, other-worldly flatness, seemingly stretching out into the infinite. Just total, barren flatness, with the ribbon of straight, perfectly-flat road stretching through it. It was very beautiful, at least I thought so.

    Loving is right next-door to the sizable town of Pecos, and yes, it's close to Odessa/Midland.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  12. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I would be interested in having any ideas you have. But as a rough starting idea, I was thinking that we could first identify people who would support such a thing. I have brought this up occasionally and as such have a little list of RPFers who have PMed me over the years that they are very excited about the possibility. If there is enough interest, perhaps we can convince Bryan, the site owner, to set us up a little sub-section where we can talk and build a community.

    Then we can find some sort of crowdfunding-type site that we can talk into listing the project on their site, with the variant that number of pledgers is a limiting factor as well as total amount of dollars pledged. Or we could find some other trustworthy and uninterested third party; an escrow service perhaps.

    So the first step is to gauge the feasibility by trying to find as many people as possible who are so sick of not having liberty and committed to getting liberty that they are willing to uproot themselves and relocate. Then we can gather together here as like-minded individuals and take stock of the situation.

    I agree.

    I feel that if we are ever to move forward in a somewhat focused effort that we first must collect those that are ready to stop complaining, bitching and telling everyone how it "cant be done" or "its been done before".

    Its a good thing that its been done before, good, we have tons of mistakes that we do not have to make by learning from past examples.

    I like the idea of starting small...something like moving into and creating the idea of "liberty" apartment complexes all over the country. Maybe like a traveling freestateproject? I know this is not the greatest idea but its just something Ive randomly thought about, I think whats most important is for local like minded people to get together IN REAL LIFE and discuss these idea. Just packing 30 people into a room in REAL life, not in a damn chat window. I feel flesh and blood discussions in one night can do a lot more than years of back and forth on facebook or other social sites.

    What I would love to see is people to stop saying "that will never work...you are wasting your time" and start saying "that's gonna be tough but we should make it work and can make it work" I feel that many people miss how important just TALKING about a move like this is. Once we are all talking about it and have agreed that we are going to make it work then NOTHING can stop us.
    Last edited by ZENemy; 07-24-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

  13. #42

    Default

    I don't think such a thing is possible, this side of the return of Jesus.

    Freedom is an asymptote. We might be able to get closer and closer to it, but we'll never quite be there.

  14. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I don't think such a thing is possible, this side of the return of Jesus.

    Freedom is an asymptote. We might be able to get closer and closer to it, but we'll never quite be there.
    That's all we're trying to do, erowe! Get closer to it! We're not trying to set up some kind of heaven-on-earth, pierce the fifth dimension, nor even to re-found Shangri-La or Atlantis. Our goals are more modest. Don't go all meta-physical on us!

    Is this a straight line segment? Or is it a segment of an asymptote?



    It very well may not be a straight line segment. But it will probably do for practical purposes! At least a lot better than this:

    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  15. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    you will be free when you are ready to die and kill.
    Umm, how about when I'm ready to live?
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  16. #45

    Default

    Many people have pointed out that the Free State Project is flawed, and it is, everything is flawed, but I have been watching people come up with the idea to move someplace else for years. The VAST majority of these projects fail before the first person moves, but even the ones that have had people move, have had no where near the impact the FSP has had. Before you expend valuable time planning the next failure, please, read this list of past failures, study them, learn from them. This really is a fool's errand.

    https://www.facebook.com/MoveHereProject

  17. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    Many people have pointed out that the Free State Project is flawed, and it is, everything is flawed, but I have been watching people come up with the idea to move someplace else for years. The VAST majority of these projects fail before the first person moves, but even the ones that have had people move, have had no where near the impact the FSP has had. Before you expend valuable time planning the next failure, please, read this list of past failures, study them, learn from them. This really is a fool's errand.
    So the Shire Society and FreeKeene are failed errands of fools, which now lay smoldering in ruins?

    Have you shared your thoughts on this with Ian?
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  18. #47

    Default

    If I gave the impression that everything on the list was a total failure, my apologies, but I think we can both agree that the majority of the projects that are unaffiliated with the FSP are incipient or failures. I think the Blue Ridge Liberty Project is an exception, at this point, but they could have done everything they have done in New Hampshire that they have done in Asheville. Can we agree that the vast majority of projects are incipient or failures?

    Obviously, some people are not going to listen to my advise, they are going to go on and try it. The purpose of the list is to list their successes and failures as they can be viewed from outside. The successes of the FSP are daunting competition for any competing project.

    Moving anywhere for more freedom is a giant commitment, a commitment that 1600 people have made to the FSP. There isn't a project that can claim a tenth of that.

  19. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    Many people have pointed out that the Free State Project is flawed, and it is, everything is flawed, but I have been watching people come up with the idea to move someplace else for years. The VAST majority of these projects fail before the first person moves, but even the ones that have had people move, have had no where near the impact the FSP has had. Before you expend valuable time planning the next failure, please, read this list of past failures, study them, learn from them. This really is a fool's errand.

    https://www.facebook.com/MoveHereProject
    QFT! There isn't a project outside of New Hampshire that has been even 1% as successful as the Free State Project has been.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

  20. #49

    Default

    I do appreciate your naysaying. As it happens, I am already aware of a great many of the projects you have listed. Also, as it happens, the plan I am proposing to do is completely unaffiliated with and has nothing to do with any of them. So, their experiences do not reflect badly on me. You may want their alleged failures to somehow rub off or tarnish my ideas, thus you come to post them here, but I do not think that they do.

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    If I gave the impression that everything on the list was a total failure, my apologies
    Apology accepted! I can only go based on what you wrote, and so since you wrote that I should "read this list of past failures," and that my idea is "a fool's errand," I took your meaning as quite clear. Surely you can understand my "incorrect impression."

    The successes of the FSP are daunting competition for any competing project.
    Is the success of Apple "daunting competition" for Printrbot?

    Moving anywhere for more freedom is a giant commitment, a commitment that 1600 people have made to the FSP. There isn't a project that can claim a tenth of that.
    I do not think that the FSP can claim that either.

    I do think that they can claim a tenth of that.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  21. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I do appreciate your naysaying. As it happens, I am already aware of a great many of the projects you have listed. Also, as it happens, the plan I am proposing to do is completely unaffiliated with and has nothing to do with any of them. So, their experiences do not reflect badly on me. You may want their alleged failures to somehow rub off or tarnish my ideas, thus you come to post them here, but I do not think that they do.
    I WANT all other projects to be a success, but they are generally not. One of the reasons they are not is the competition for movers. In most cases, one can only be a member of one project at a time, and moving is costly. That is why I believe your and all other projects not affiliated with the FSP to be fool's errands. I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again, but on this issue, I am among the top .00001% (certainly .0001%) on this topic and feel comfortable in saying that yours and most competing projects will fail. Good luck, I will buy in if you succeed, but my advice is to just put away your complaints about the FSP, as I have, and move.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Apology accepted! I can only go based on what you wrote, and so since you wrote that I should "read this list of past failures," and that my idea is "a fool's errand," I took your meaning as quite clear. Surely you can understand my "incorrect impression."
    Again, I am sorry for the confusion. I am saying that most projects on the list are failures and I am predicting the same for yours, but I will be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong, although likely jealous that you didn't do it in NH. If you are sufficiently more successful than the FSP, in my estimation, I will move for your project.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Is the success of Apple "daunting competition" for Printrbot?
    I suspect they appeal to a different group of people, so no. The FSP appeals to a very wide group of liberty lovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I do not think that the FSP can claim that either.

    I do think that they can claim a tenth of that.
    Are you claiming that the FSP is overstating its mover number by a wide margin? Certainly people have moved out, that have not been recorded, but we have had plenty of people move that never signed up because they don't like lists or something. I live here everyday. I see the Porcs that are involved at the State House, in media, in civ dis, locally and the ones that don't do much at all. I think 1600 is a pretty fair number of people that have moved here because of the FSP. I don't care if they signed up.

    A few dozen more people moving to Grafton would truly tip the scales there. Go visit. If you want to 'take over' a town, Grafton fits your bill and is much easier than getting 1000 people to move.
    Last edited by MedgeFTL; 07-25-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: adding crap

  22. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    although likely jealous that you didn't do it in NH.
    Who says we won't end up in New Hampshire? Where did I say that? Where did I rule that out?

    Just because Keith sicced you down here to rain on my parade doesn't mean I'm trying to rain on yours.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  23. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Who says we won't end up in New Hampshire? Where did I say that? Where did I rule that out?

    Just because Keith sicced you down here to rain on my parade doesn't mean I'm trying to rain on yours.
    I can't honestly remember how I got to this page. That is frightening to me. It was just this morning!

    In any event, I care about people and I know what a huge cost it is to move. So, I put together my little list on Facebook to try to educate folks. I predict far better results from a move to NH than other places, if you do pick someplace else, make it awesome and warm, I need a winter home .

    BTW, this is one of our favorite topics on FTL. I'd love for you to call in with different ideas. We never get to discuss this, because we are such zealots for the FSP that no one will talk to us about the problems with the FSP or how one can do it better.
    Last edited by MedgeFTL; 07-25-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: adding thoughts

  24. #53

    Default

    http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/24/real...ale/index.html


    For sale: Town of Aladdin, Wyo., for $1.5 million
    Once you go Paul, you see through them all.

  25. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/24/real...ale/index.html


    For sale: Town of Aladdin, Wyo., for $1.5 million
    Wyoming is a Home Rule state and that is good, but their Home Rule law is weak and has essentially been gutted.

    http://trib.com/opinion/editorial/wy...20f321787.html

  26. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    BTW, this is one of our favorite topics on FTL. I'd love for you to call in with different ideas. We never get to discuss this, because we are such zealots for the FSP that no one will talk to us about the problems with the FSP or how one can do it better.
    That's cool, maybe I will. I do enjoy FTL occasionally and I am very, very impressed with what you guys have accomplished with that.

    I think that Grafton, NH is a terrific idea with a lot of potential. I personally would consider it a top candidate for a plan like this. Perhaps the top candidate. I can't think of a better one at the moment anyway.

    The first task is to gauge interest. This may be a no-go from the get-go. There may not be enough people willing to do it, much less serious, respectable people willing to do it. In that case, I shrug and shelve it.

    if you do pick someplace else, make it awesome and warm, I need a winter home .
    Kalaupapa is calling....

    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  27. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/24/real...ale/index.html


    For sale: Town of Aladdin, Wyo., for $1.5 million
    It is just 30 acres. The MSM loves to lie about this!
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

  28. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    That's cool, maybe I will. I do enjoy FTL occasionally and I am very, very impressed with what you guys have accomplished with that.

    I think that Grafton, NH is a terrific idea with a lot of potential. I personally would consider it a top candidate for a plan like this. Perhaps the top candidate. I can't think of a better one at the moment anyway.

    The first task is to gauge interest. This may be a no-go from the get-go. There may not be enough people willing to do it, much less serious, respectable people willing to do it. In that case, I shrug and shelve it.

    Kalaupapa is calling....

    There is nothing to shelve with Grafton. The activists there are numerous and busy. Just being there you will at the very least see what it takes to be successful elsewhere. Bring people with you if you can, sure, but go visit for a week. Someone will gladly put you up. It is amazing what they are doing there. If you want abuse from statists, Keene is just an hour or so away.

    I thought someone said Kalaupapa is off-limits. Is that not so?

  29. #58

    Default



    Wow, thanks, Thor! I have actually been to Aladdin! Maybe I'll go back again and check things out. Certainly if there's interest I could. It's a very small place.

    And I know a bunch of Free State Wyomingers and others in the area with houses and/or land nearby.

    Here's the Street View of it:

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...94dfd3!6m1!1e1

    Thoughts?
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  30. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    Wyoming is a Home Rule state and that is good, but their Home Rule law is weak and has essentially been gutted.

    http://trib.com/opinion/editorial/wy...20f321787.html
    Interesting... I had no idea about this, and I was living there. You do keep up on things! Thanks for the info. Sharing stuff like this is very productive.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

  31. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MedgeFTL View Post
    There is nothing to shelve with Grafton. The activists there are numerous and busy. Just being there you will at the very least see what it takes to be successful elsewhere. Bring people with you if you can, sure, but go visit for a week. Someone will gladly put you up. It is amazing what they are doing there. If you want abuse from statists, Keene is just an hour or so away.
    That does sound good!

    I thought someone said Kalaupapa is off-limits. Is that not so?
    Well, limits can change. They most certainly will change eventually (relatively soon), because the people living there are getting up there in age. It's not an issue right now since they are still alive and no one else is clamoring to live there.
    The rebel of the 21st Century will be old-fashioned.

    No enemies to the right

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast





Similar Threads

  1. Rand: Boyd County Town Hall with @repthomasmassie
    By kahless in forum Rand Paul Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2016, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM
  3. Creating a Free Market Society?
    By krazy kaju in forum Freedom Living
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
  5. Strange Results for one county/town
    By ConvertedNeoCon in forum New Hampshire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •