Thread: [CNN] Rand Paul and his Democratic buds

[CNN] Rand Paul and his Democratic buds

Washington (CNN) - Sen. Rand Paul teams up with another Democrat Tuesday in his effort to restore voting rights for convicted criminals who've served time in prison.

The Kentucky Republican will hold a panel discussion on Capitol Hill with Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland, the latest high-profile Democrat publicly working with Paul to rally support around a policy or idea.

Paul's "odd couple" pairings appear to be growing more quickly as the first-term senator gets closer to 2016. So is he trying to unite the Senate, one-by-one? Or is he trying to broaden his name recognition and scope as he lays the groundwork for a likely presidential bid?

Regardless, it's a risky move in today's political climate. Aligning with Democrats should theoretically be the kiss of death for a Republican 2016 hopeful who wants to rev up primary voters.

While bipartisan legislative achievements look good in general elections, they can taint candidates as they try to shore up the GOP vote. Just ask Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, whose political star fell somewhat among the Republican base after he helped pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill through the Senate last year.

But Paul's work with Democrats appears to be limited and strategic: He focuses mostly on policies involving criminal justice reform and federal surveillance programs, two issues that aren't seen as hyper partisan....."

continued:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...mocratic-buds/
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The headline is designed to make Republicans think Rand is a RINO. Funny thing is lately it is working if you go to Rand Paul's Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by Okaloosa View Post
    The headline is designed to make Republicans think Rand is a RINO. Funny thing is lately it is working if you go to Rand Paul's Facebook page.
    You can't please the tea partiers. If you stray away from their box 1 inch, they will call you a RINO and forget everything you've done for them before and your voting record. Very ungrateful bunch. But if you try to please the TP, you can only please them. The rest of the country will automatically be alienated.

Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    You can't please the tea partiers. If you stray away from their box 1 inch, they will call you a RINO and forget everything you've done for them before and your voting record. Very ungrateful bunch. But if you try to please the TP, you can only please them. The rest of the country will automatically be alienated.
    Rand's strategy is perfect for New Hampshire, though. Very low percentage of self-identified Tea Partiers and the primary is open to independents, which are larger in number than Republicans in NH.

Even for the Iowa caucuses, anyone can register Republican and vote at the caucus.

Is there any video of this event?
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

TEA = Taxed Enough Already. That's what it's supposed to be all about.

Has Paul been trying to lower taxes and spending, or to raise them?

Lower them.

So that's it. That should be the end of the story for a true Tea Partier. That is supposed to be all they care about and are focused on.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    TEA = Taxed Enough Already. That's what it's supposed to be all about.

Has Paul been trying to lower taxes and spending, or to raise them?

Lower them.

So that's it. That should be the end of the story for a true Tea Partier. That is supposed to be all they care about and are focused on.
    You obviously haven't talked to any TPer lately. These are what they care about, in that order:

1) Bible/God
    2) Abortion (banning abortions and contraceptives)
    3) Immigration (putting down any immigration reform as "amnesty")
    4) Gay Sex (banning gays from performing "sodomy")
    5) Voter ID
    6) Common Core

That's it.

You obviously haven't talked to any TPer lately. These are what they care about, in that order:

1) Bible/God
    5) Voter ID
    6) Common Core

That's it.
    I'm seeing these people increasingly unhappy with Rand for not being a partisan $#@! and now they are calling him RINO etc. These people are just as likely as neo-cons to stop Rand in both a primary and a general election.
    Last edited by Okaloosa; 07-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

1) Bible/God
    5) Voter ID
    6) Common Core

That's it.
    LOL which tea party are you nearby? AstroShinault the establishmentarian, or Asheville TP, C4GC, Crystal Coast Taxpayers and those Constitutional minded groups? The good ones outnumber the bad ones in NC.

It was a Tea person who first connected the dots and freaked out on this highway surveillance thing in NC. The right side of tea, and not the ones posing for the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Okaloosa View Post
    Who cares about internet comments? About the most unrepresentative thing one can point to as "evidence" of something.

1) Bible/God
    5) Voter ID
    6) Common Core

That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    LOL which tea party are you nearby? AstroShinault the establishmentarian, or Asheville TP, C4GC, Crystal Coast Taxpayers and those Constitutional minded groups? The good ones outnumber the bad ones in NC.
    He's right, Gunny. Take a look at the top story on the Home Page of the Tea Party of Louisiana.
    http://www.teapartyoflouisiana.net

They believe 90% of felons will vote for Democrats. They don't care whether it is constitutional or a good or bad idea.
    For example, what would be the gain to Alison Grimes against Mitch if felons could vote? What would the Democrat Gubernatorial candidate in 2015 gain if Rand let certain groups of felons get voting rights?

The number of felons against the number of net black votes you get is not a big issue.

I don't even think black felons voting is a big issue in the black community. Helping felons get jobs is different.

The same issue with illegals. Rand got hurt when he touted the same BS that bachelor Graham and nutcase McCain says about illegals who will vote GOP.

With the war on drugs they would probably like to hear how it is a waste of money instead of exclusively focussing on seemingly pandering to blacks. Ron got hurt when he said blacks were executed too much. If 40% of executions are done to blacks and 40% of killers are blacks it is consistent.
    Last edited by RandallFan; 07-23-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    He's right, Gunny. Take a look at the top story on the Home Page of the Tea Party of Louisiana.
    Indeed. The tea party failed to become its own independent movement and has instead become a radical wing of the GOP. I think it is too late to salvage it.

Rand's so-called "conservatarian" movement though, has a chance.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Ugh, that website looks like it was designed in 1997.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    Ugh, that website looks like it was designed in 1997.
    LOL....true, and the talking points are all from the same era as well.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What does a website from a tea party in Louisiana have to do with the fact that only 2 or 3 of the moderate to smaller "tea" parties in North Carolina are the fake ones, while the vast majority of Tea parties in NC are the good ones?

So you are saying that he is right that all the TP's in NC are bad because you found one TP in LA that was bad? It just doesn't follow.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    What does a website from a tea party in Louisiana have to do with the fact that only 2 or 3 of the moderate to smaller "tea" parties in North Carolina are the fake ones, while the vast majority of Tea parties in NC are the good ones?

So you are saying that he is right that all the TP's in NC are bad because you found one TP in LA that was bad? It just doesn't follow.
    Excuse me, Gunny....I didn't realize your discussion was limited to NC. I also didn't realize that there are so many variations of "Tea Party".

For the label to mean something, it has to be consistent, don't you think?

Excuse me, Gunny....I didn't realize your discussion was limited to NC. I also didn't realize that there are so many variations of "Tea Party".

For the label to mean something, it has to be consistent, don't you think?
    I'm not the one using the label. We have a few awful ones, but most of the TEA Parties in NC are fiscal and constitutional conservatives. Asheville TEA PAC and Asheville TEA Party. Conservatives 4 Guilford County. Crystal Coast Taxpayers Association. Those are the highlights. There are over 30 different organizations in NC, probably 6 to 8 of them are the bad kind. It's not like that in NC only, either, but lib3rtarian is from NC and it would seem that he's only ever met the bad ones.

Most TP's in the States are radically diversified like that, actually. I would not be surprised if in some States there were only one or two bad ones and that was it ie 'no good ones.' But that is not the case in most of the US.

Here are the latest facebook posts from my nearest tea party group:

Quote from the article: “I think he [Obama] took a very difficult situation and has raised our society up in every way. I think he’s a great leader; I wish I could vote for him for a third term.”
    These are the psychopaths who vote for their own executioners. (article about Obama fundraising)
    Proving that this was ALL political and Obama’s way of putting pressure on Israel to stop bombing his BFF Hamas.
    Thank you Ted Cruz for uncovering the REAL story behind this. (FAA press release about lifting flight restrictions to Isreal)
    Hopefully the American people will show the same courage as the people of Ukraine and stand up and overthrow the commies and traitors destroying our Nation, and take America back. (article about Communist Party ousted from Ukraine Parliament)
    Have you ever stood outside an abortion chamber and prayed?
    It can save a life. (article about botched abortion)
    Violent criminals are a Democrat constituency. Gun control is the objective. The Democrats couldn’t care less about crime. (article about gun crime prosecutions dropping under Obama)
    and more...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mansf...78685038834542
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

1) Bible/God
    5) Voter ID
    6) Common Core

That's it.
    That's not any tea partier I've met. You're describing a social con.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Here are the latest facebook posts from my nearest tea party group:

and more...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mansf...78685038834542
    From the looks of it, that is just one ignorant man.

Start your own Facebook page and call it the Tea Party from where you are and post what YOU think the tea party should be.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    That's not any tea partier I've met. You're describing a social con.
    There is a guy in NC named Kevin Shinault. Longtime was one of the most respected TPers in the State. Lost the vast majority of his credibility in the Greg Brannon race by openly demonstrating that he wanted nothing whatever to do with a Constitutional government*, he just wanted a more 'conservativish' version of the status quo, ie - reshape the world into something comfortable for himself, and demonstrated that he was willing to fight for the establishment to see to it. There are a smattering of such TP groups in NC, but the life that was in them took a huge blow in the Brannon race when Harris jumped in and Social Cons had to decide between moral enforcement and Constitutional government. Most of them chose Constitutional government, but not enough to beat Tillis in the Primary.

But the residual effect on the Tea Parties has been pretty significant. The establishmentarian and exclusively SoCon groups have had the wind taken out of their sails while the more original fiscal policy/taxation/civil liberties/Constitutional government orientation is growing on anger. It would be a wonderful thing to take advantage of in 2016 if only I had a candidate and the resources to promote him.

I think what needs to happen next is for a coalition to develop between all of the Constitution-minded Tea orgs in NC and start aggressively recruiting/running/defending/removing candidates from the NCGA around the whole State.

* ETA: fixed an unfinished edit in the original post. To original: "by openly demonstrating that he his wanting nothing whatever to do with a Constitutional government," I took it out of the passive voice and neglected to clean up the verb.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 07-24-2014 at 02:16 PM.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn