8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 62.50%
  • No

3 37.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good cop?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

I don't think just being drunk should be something the cops should even know about, barring other considerations.

As for driving fast...

If we were talking about a private road, I would say the owners can make whatever rules they want. But on a government road I think its an NAP violation to take any action where no aggression is happening.

Now, is driving 110 MPH an aggressive (reckless) act? I don't think it intrinsically is. Although the fastest I've ever personally seen someone drive safely is 95MPH. But I don't think 110 would be impossible. That said, I could easily envision cases where driving 110 could be reckless.

Let me put it this way. You don't have the right to create danger for the other cars. But just speeding or driving drunk doesn't automatically mean you're endangering the other drivers.
    Speaking as someone who has had a family member killed by a man who was driving drunk... He was not speeding, and up to the point of impact, he had not committed any other 'crimes' The fact that you think it is permissible to drive drunk and endanger everyone on the road shows how silly the 'victimless crime' meme is. I have zero problem with police pulling a drunk over and throwing his or her ass in jail BEFORE they kill innocent bystanders. If someone thinks that person should be allowed to drive drunk and kill other people for the sake of ideological consistency with the whole 'victimless crime' idea... well I can't argue with that. It's absurd.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Speaking as someone who has had a family member killed by a man who was driving drunk... He was not speeding, and up to the point of impact, he had not committed any other 'crimes' The fact that you think it is permissible to drive drunk and endanger everyone on the road shows how silly the 'victimless crime' meme is. I have zero problem with police pulling a drunk over and throwing his or her ass in jail BEFORE they kill innocent bystanders. If someone thinks that person should be allowed to drive drunk and kill other people for the sake of ideological consistency with the whole 'victimless crime' idea... well I can't argue with that. It's absurd.
    Was the accident preventable else wise?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And for that you would call for the subjugation of everyone else. Bravo, sir!

There are better ways to accomplish what you are looking for.

There is a thing I used in my anti-checkpoint bill (I forget the name) where if you are legit drunk and dangerous a cop can stop you and tell you to park and sleep it off with no penalty, but if you ignore his 'advice' he can stop you detain you and charge you with recklessness.

Then, for any actual charge or crime, drunkenness is not a crime in and of itself but it is a multiplier. If say, a person id drunk during the commission of a vehicular crime, then any class of felony is "cut in half" meaning a class 4 felony becomes class 2 (2nd degree involuntary homicide becomes 1st degree manslaughter, 2nd degree manslaughter becomes 2nd degree murder).

What this does it it means drunk driving is not a crime. If you are driving terribly a cop can stop you make you park and sleep it off, but if you are belligerent and ignore him you are going to jail to sleep it off and a traffic ticket for recklessness to remind you when you are sober. If you are drunk while you do something that is an actual crime, your penalty is doubled because you are drunk, which is your deterrent to drunk driving.

It will probably be more effective than what we have now; and it is far far far less impactful of liberty and victimless crime principles.

Unless the person was driving recklessly, how would you even know he was drunk? Are you advocating pulling everyone over to check? How do you know that the drunkenness is what caused the killing of your family member?

Mind you, I'm not trying to trivialize that at all. And, I used to take the other position until it was proven to me that it didn't make sense. And, I don't think its "permissible" to drive drunk. I think its rather like driving while severely sleep deprived. Its a really stupid idea that increases the odds that you'll initiate an accident, but shouldn't inherently be a criminal act.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    There are better ways to accomplish what you are looking for.

There is a thing I used in my anti-checkpoint bill (I forget the name) where if you are legit drunk and dangerous a cop can stop you and tell you to park and sleep it off with no penalty, but if you ignore his 'advice' he can stop you detain you and charge you with recklessness.

Then, for any actual charge or crime, drunkenness is not a crime in and of itself but it is a multiplier. If say, a person id drunk during the commission of a vehicular crime, then any class of felony is "cut in half" meaning a class 4 felony becomes class 2 (2nd degree involuntary homicide becomes 1st degree manslaughter, 2nd degree manslaughter becomes 2nd degree murder).

What this does it it means drunk driving is not a crime. If you are driving terribly a cop can stop you make you park and sleep it off, but if you are belligerent and ignore him you are going to jail to sleep it off and a traffic ticket for recklessness to remind you when you are sober. If you are drunk while you do something that is an actual crime, your penalty is doubled because you are drunk, which is your deterrent to drunk driving.

It will probably be more effective than what we have now; and it is far far far less impactful of liberty and victimless crime principles.
    I'm not sure why the double penalty, but I could live with it, and I agree with everything else. (One thing that I believe strongly about criminal justice is that whenever possible it should be to compensate the victim and that the only time prison should even be considered is when the person in question is a clear and present danger, which I doubt a former drunk driver is.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    First, thank you for posting. As to the quoted section here, yes, that would be exactly what I am saying. Indisputably so.

Where is their money derived from? How is their salary afforded? Who is going to pay their medical? Their pensions? For the air conditioning they use in the summertime? For the petrol they use in their cars?

It's quite simple. You will. Everyone will. Whether they want to pay for it or not, they will pay for it. Do you know why? Because other people that will be paid for by everyone, regardless of the legitimacy, will come arrest, imprison, or murder you. It's quite simple, really. And if the need arises for back up in the midnight raid, they'll call those that never let them down. A quid pro quo relationship, if you will, where the parasitical unproductive collaborate with the equally parasitical and unproductive to rob all of property and give it to whom it does not belong.

Well then quite perhaps the tired good apples mantra would finally cease. But no, it wouldn't. There would still be some who see the kitty cats saved from the trees; the puppy dogs from the road ways. And while if the "good ones" did quit or chose a path more moral (say, anything productive) the level of "bad" within the department may become more centralized, (or more noticeable, rather,) there'd still be the few and far between good deeds that anyone as a human being is capable of, mind you, to distract the masses from the evil they commit. There would still be the many who tell me, ad nauseam, that I just don't know what they encounter. That I should put myself in their shoes. That they do good things but are forced, or ordered, I think they say, and that I should take my grievances up with the equally immoral politicians. As if that would do a lick of goddamn good. How about, no. You quit following orders. It isn't an excuse. It never was an excuse. Go volunteer if you want to help the public when they are in need. Have people legitimately contract your services. Act within the law as an common decent human being, for $#@! sake. But this just sounds radical, I'll be told. "You mean separate castes-- the takers and the taken from-- ought not exist!? Blasphemy!"

It would more be accurate to say that I'd, and quite a few others, simply would like everyone to be held accountable under the same law. A shiny badge doesn't grant extra rights. And Constitutional minded is quite funny [if weren't so unfunny] (perhaps that's why they are just [Constitutionally] "minded" and not simply "Constitutional"?). Something to think about, anyways. What is definition of police? What is the history of the police? What is their current track record? What has the Supreme Court said on the matter of liability? How are they funded? What if I don't want to fund them? What sorts of 'laws' are they enforcing?

Well, I would disagree with your premise. Do you need to be policed? Fined? Taxed? Robbed? Thrown in a cage? What need might I have for them? You know their pensions are probably going to bankrupt your city, right?

We can agree on everything except for the point that the police is an authoritarian concept and ought be abolished. Perhaps you are unsure what that means. It doesn't mean a lack of law or criminals running rampant in the streets (they do that now, mind you [and to be clear, some are held more accountable than others]). I pray to God that some fiscal calamity disbands this band of revenue scalpers. It sounds bad... and forgive me for being frank... but I'd be happier than pigs in $#@! if this police force went on strike for further medical compensation. It would be like..... America. Or something. Rather than some sort of unfunny East German satire.

Yes, I do. I need a bracelet that forbids them from touching me in the event of emergency. Car wreck? They can leave my mangled body where they find it. I've told them this. We can be cordial, if they come in my place of occupation but aside from that they can $#@! off.

I would administer first aid and call for an ambulance. Not 911.

I would not. An intermediary or the family asked me for a notarized statement with the understanding that I will not be testifying? THEY could get one. What they did with it would be their business.

And it's not as if you don't talk to the police. I'm quite capable of holding a conversation. Considering their profession, lack of ethics, quotas, etc. it's wise not to talk to them. Not to mention they murder people daily (often for the refusal to talk to them). So kind of a catch 22, I suppose. I'd much prefer not to ever talk to them. But it isn't as if when I get pulled over I sit there and say, "I refuse to answer any questions" (as would be my right!). I've dealt with them enough and am educated enough to talk with them. As well as to know that a certain demeanor could well leave me beaten to death on the side of the road. You know they itch for that $#@!, right? Put on their gloves. I can see it in their face when they are just looking for a reason. These are the people you want to have a gun and immunity?

It ain't gonna happen this century. You ever tell a cop you know your rights? Haha. It's not like $#@!in' crosses to vampires. Only, if only, Kelly Thomas had a pocket Constitution!

And I'm not trying to be discouraging but goddamn, this is serious. Don't insult people with that nonsense. What do you think, crack smoking addicts ought be given an annual salary? Never mind you don't want to pay for it. So what makes you think it is legitimate that I be forced to pay for these other lowlife, subsidized, leeches?
    Thanks for your response. Some of what you wrote I agree with... how anyone can defend what happened to Kelly Thomas (or anyone of a thousand different examples of police brutality that has been posted on this forum) is beyond disturbing. That's why I will continue with my work with Oath Keepers.

But what is also disturbing is attitudes like yours... people who are so afraid that they would not even speak with a cop to help catch a murdered (and this is just one example... I could come up with many different situations were it would be appropriate to call the cops... and no, I'm not talking about because someone is doing drugs, or a loose dog or any victimless crime).

It's disturbing that many people do not have the intellectual integrity to admit that there is no large group of people that are all bad... or all good.

It's disturbing that you can't even admit that you could think of a situation where you could use the help of a good cop. But in your mind all cops are bad.

I would love to live in a society where we don't need police... that's great if you want to have a philosophical debate about a future perfect society. But I'm living in the real world... and guess what... There are some mostly good people and some mostly bad people... that goes for cops too. I'm trying to do my best to make sure that there are more good than bad, that's all.

You go ahead and dream and talk and write and rant about your perfect world and ignore reality... the reality that police, as an institution, are not going anywhere in the near future. So until that day...

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    The best way to reign in this out of control tyranny, is to fill it's officialdom with people who care about the Constitution. You don't know if this guy is there to push against the Beast or not. None of us know if he's been ordered to do really heinous stuff yet or not. Maybe he's in in armed robbery and just horrified at the stuff he sees happening over at vice. Maybe he's been put there to defend an innocent person from being killed by a cop next year. When "even the drunkards and the tax collectors work more to care about the principles" (to paraphrase Christ) of freedom, then it's time for self reflection. Say he's an evil idiot, like so many here charge. When an evil idiot is doing more work, passion, and progress to restore liberty to America than you, then what does that say about you?

In 2008 we took everyone where they were who had a genuine passion for liberty and a willingness to work to make it happen. Now they have to pass a score of acid tests before we allow them to speak without chastisement or brutal humiliation. The question boils down to do we want to save this country or not? If yes then we will support people of principle in every position of government in the hopes of filling it up and taming the beast. If no, then they will want to empty the beast of every Constitutional resolve and let it fail.

It will probably fail anyway, but I will seize every opportunity I can to make it right, because when it does fail and people everywhere are forced by tyranny and circumstance in the collapse of civilization to take up arms, do you want to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you didn't really try? When you make a clean headshot on some 20 year old kid charging you and your family with a shotgun just because he is hungry desperate and insane; and then you recognize him from 5 years ago as the kid who used to mow your lawns, how will you look into the mirror and tell yourself you didn't really try to stop it?

I will seize EVERY legitimate opportunity to make it right, because I abhor and will do everything in my power to prevent what I describe above. It is very likely to come no matter how hard I try, but as God is my witness I will try like hell. When some kid is charging me and my family with a shotgun, and I make my clear front sight tip, I will not hesitate, and my conscience will be clear.
    I'm right there with ya gunny.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPatriot View Post
    Thanks for your response. Some of what you wrote I agree with... how anyone can defend what happened to Kelly Thomas (or anyone of a thousand different examples of police brutality that has been posted on this forum) is beyond disturbing. That's why I will continue with my work with Oath Keepers.
    We are in agreement on many things.

But what is also disturbing is attitudes like yours... people who are so afraid that they would not even speak with a cop to help catch a murdered (and this is just one example... I could come up with many different situations were it would be appropriate to call the cops... and no, I'm not talking about because someone is doing drugs, or a loose dog or any victimless crime).
    I am not afraid of the police. I am aware of the situation and what it really is. Now if you asked my mother, she'd agree with you. But she hasn't seen what I've seen. I was offered these arguments when I was a kid, no more than 12 years old. "What if you were in a car accident?" I told them what I am telling you. Leave me. And it isn't because I'm afraid.

I am a peaceful, law abiding, working American citizen. I shouldn't be (and no one should be) harassed the way that I was. If I am not knocked unconscious, or otherwise unable to answer, I will tell them, in no uncertain terms, don't touch me. Don't move my body, don't provide a tourniquet, just simply leave me alone. Not because I am afraid, but I despise what they stand for. And they always stood for that. And my lack of pious reverence is what was the cause of my harassment. That I didn't bow low enough.

It's disturbing that many people do not have the intellectual integrity to admit that there is no large group of people that are all bad... or all good.
    I feel there is a communication issue here, perhaps on my part. I am not saying they are bad as if all torture animals and murder people. I am saying that the way in which they make a living is inherently immoral, that the jobs attracts sociopaths, and that they enforce laws to which there is no victim simply as a means to justify their subsidized existence.

It's disturbing that you can't even admit that you could think of a situation where you could use the help of a good cop. But in your mind all cops are bad.
    Whether or not I could use them (in certain rare and extreme circumstances) is not relevant. I don't want their help.

I would love to live in a society where we don't need police... that's great if you want to have a philosophical debate about a future perfect society. But I'm living in the real world... and guess what... There are some mostly good people and some mostly bad people... that goes for cops too. I'm trying to do my best to make sure that there are more good than bad, that's all.
    I hear this $#@! all the time. It's like clockwork to the discussion. I am no utopian visionary. I lived where the cops wouldn't come (for a legitimate distress call). You're not telling me anything about the wicked way of the world. Why, understanding that, or accepting that premise, one would enact a class of citizens higher than another, or with more authority than another, is beyond me. The world has evil people in it. Let's establish a bureaucracy of mediocre attributes, one which recruits those with sociopathic tendencies, to have the authority to ruin lives on whim. It makes no sense whatsoever. It actually insults my intelligence.

You go ahead and dream and talk and write and rant about your perfect world and ignore reality... the reality that police, as an institution, are not going anywhere in the near future. So until that day...
    The reality is a lot of things. They're not going anywhere. They're not going to police their own. They're going to keep beating people and throwing them in cages for victimless crimes. What does reality have to do with the way things should be? Can you not see I am trying to change this current reality? That I am trying to educate people as to the wrongs within society? Yes, society would stay the same throughout history if not for the enlightenment of people. That's the reality.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Less bad? At least he understands that he will be used (sacrificed if necessary) to advance the aims of other people. That is good to hear and see. Also, he spoke as a citizen more so than as a cop ("my right" referring to the 2nd amendment right shared in common)-- he knows full well that his right to bear arms as a law enforcement office wasn't being threatened, although now it probably is. I'm not voting because this man is seen acting in the capacity of a private citizen, and in that respect I feel he spoke well, if he did make the mistake of appealing to emotion (even if it wasn't deliberate.) I dunno if he is a good cop, I'd have to see a video of him acting in that capacity.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, what all of you are saying is either
    A) There is no good cop. Ever. or
    B) If there are any good cops... you want them to quit their job to ensure... There are no good cops.

That's brilliant! Instead of trying to increase the number of good (constitutional minded) cops you guys want to make sure every cop is bad. Good luck with that.

Do you really think that our society is suddenly or magically going to eliminate the need for cops? That's right, I said the NEED for cops. Don't get me wrong, I see that there are way too many "bad" cops... hell, I would even say many are evil... but if you think that purging all of the "good" cops from the system is the answer... well, I submit your logic is flawed. That is why I choose to work with and support Oath Keepers.

And for those of you who say "Never call the cops" or "Never talk to the police"... you don't really mean NEVER. I know you don't. Unless you mean to tell me that if you witnessed a crime, lets say a murder... you are walking down the street, you see a hit and run where a vehicle runs over two kids walking on the sidewalk... and you see the drivers face, know what type of vehicle s/he is driving and you get the license plate number and you are the only person around... are you telling me you will NOT call for help? And when you do call for help, are you telling me you will NOT speak with the cops?

Some of you are dreaming of some fantasy where cops are not needed... sounds great to me, but it ain't going to happen in this century... so I'll keep working on encouraging police and military to obey their oath.
    You don't get it. Every cop is bad by definition. There can be no good cops because they are bad by virtue of being cops. It doesn't matter how good your intentions are. If you want to be a good cop, don't be a cop. Just like if you want to be a good murderer, don't murder. Good cop is an oxymoron.

If nobody wanted to be a cop, then the system would ground to a halt. It's that kind of activism we need, not the kind that insists you change the system with your intentions while taking direct orders from those you oppose. The only answer is for people to stop being cops.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

OK... I don't get the whole victimless crime argument. By that rationale, a person could get so hammered drunk and start driving (no victim yet), speed up to 110mph on the road (no victim yet) and slam into a minivan killing a family of 5... now we have some victims. I, for one, have no problem making it illegal for people to drink and drive. Pull them over, if they are drunk, send their ass to jail. BOOM, victimless crime.

What are your thoughts?
    Did you seriously just argue against victimless crimes by giving an example of a crime with a victim?

Why do we need the drunk driving law if we already have laws against slamming into minivans and killing people?

Stopping crime before it happens has NEVER worked. The police are woefully inadequate at actually stopping crime from happening.

There's no such thing as a good thief.

Cops are required to steal as part of their jobs.

Therefore: there is no such thing as a good cop.

Now, I'm not as hardcore about this as some. I'm friends with a police captain who is a solid Christian man who takes care of his family, and I'm blessed to have met him. At the same time, let's be realistic here, the above syllogism is pretty much impossible to refute. I still wish nobody would take that career.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You don't get it. Every cop is bad by definition. There can be no good cops because they are bad by virtue of being cops. It doesn't matter how good your intentions are. If you want to be a good cop, don't be a cop. Just like if you want to be a good murderer, don't murder. Good cop is an oxymoron.

If nobody wanted to be a cop, then the system would ground to a halt. It's that kind of activism we need, not the kind that insists you change the system with your intentions while taking direct orders from those you oppose. The only answer is for people to stop being cops.
    I would support getting rid of police departments, but until that happens.... I will prefer to have more decent men as cops, winnowing out the better ones is what the establishment wants. We especially should elect guys like Richard Mack as Sheriff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I would support getting rid of police departments, but until that happens.... I will prefer to have more decent men as cops, winnowing out the better ones is what the establishment wants. We especially should elect guys like Richard Mack as Sheriff.
    I support electing constitutionalists as sheriffs. BUt with regards to cops, they're required to enforce the laws as written. A cop can't live out libertarian principle, he's required to do what he's told no matter what. I don't see joining the enforcement class as actually helping liberty any. Elections, that's a different matter in many respects.

Oh, I get it... I also understand what you are saying, you think an entire group of people are all the same - no individuals. We simply disagree. Good luck living on fantasy island or where ever this mythical place is that you plan on living... where you have eliminated the need for police. BTW, how long before you build this utopian society where everyone loves each other and holds hands. I can't wait to move there.

Can we at least agree that the CURRENT Law Enforcement model that is currently in place is broken?....i lean towards not making this Police issue too personal. I tend to focus on finding other ideas, either from others or thinking about this on my own...

until then, i continue to read these abuse stories, because they matter...the more people that start 'thinking' about this issue the better...

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Unless the person was driving recklessly, how would you even know he was drunk? Are you advocating pulling everyone over to check?
    THAT IS WHAT THEY DO NOW.

And not to find out if you are in fact drunk and impaired,, but to find out if you have had a drink at all,,(and anything else they can find while looking through your car.)
    Last edited by pcosmar; 07-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    Can we at least agree that the CURRENT Law Enforcement model that is currently in place is broken?....i lean towards not making this Police issue too personal. I tend to focus on finding other ideas, either from others or thinking about this on my own...

until then, i continue to read these abuse stories, because they matter...the more people that start 'thinking' about this issue the better...
    I can absolutely agree with that. But to say that ALL cops are bad...

Good luck living on fantasy island or where ever this mythical place is that you plan on living... where you have eliminated the need for police.
    There never was a need for police. There was not a need for them when they did not exist.
    There is no NEED for them now.

Police should simply not exist in a free society..

They are necessary, however, in an Authoritarian society.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I've read enough of the crap you write on this subject to know you are a broken record. And that there is zero chance of you changing your mind. You have had a bad experience with cops... and now you KNOW, for a FACT, that ALL cops are bad. You are not even smart enough to concede a small percentage are good. LOL! Dude, time to wake up! That is statistically impossible, and you sound foolish in your rants. And if your goal is to eliminate the need for police you are going to have to stop sounding so... emotionally illogical with your arguments.
    It's not statistically impossible if you define bad cops as cops in general. See, all cops are REQUIRED to enforce laws that infringe on people's rights. Therefore, that requirement prevents any bad cops from staying on the force for any considerable amount of time. If they were a good cop, then they would be fired.

What do you mean NET? If you really believed your own crap... you would not have used the word net. By using the word net you acknowledge that some are good, others are bad... mostly bad in your mind, hence a NET detriment. You FAIL.
    Wrong again. You obviously don't understand what net means. We're not talking about the number of good vs. bad cops, we're talking about the good vs. harm that cops, in general, cause for society. Every cop is capable of good things, but every cop also does way more bad things than good things, so it is a net detriment to society. See how I did that? It's called logic.

Net??? It seems you are blinded by your hatred.
    And you by ignorance.

Stewart is not a cop and has never been one... (once again you demonstrate your ignorance on this topic). However, Stewart is smart enough to realize that not all cops are bad, and many need to be reminded of their oath to the constitution. Hence, Oath Keepers. And OK is making a difference, we are educating military and police, and we will continue to make a difference. You keep going along with your little rants... hope that makes you feel better.
    They can't keep their oath to the Constitution because all cops are required to enforce unconstitutional laws. It's literally impossible for them to keep their oaths to the Constitution. I know because I have a degree in Political Science. Laws today and the Constitution are completely incompatible.

I don't advocate any cop beating anyone for anything. But it sounds like you probably have an attitude problem when dealing with cops... that should not matter, but guess what? It does!
    It's hard not to have an "attitude problem" with cops. If you seem the slightest bit non-compliant or disrespectful, they will force you into submission.

C'mon man, do I really need to explain this to you? What is news worthy of a cop doing his (good) job? But if you think four of five stories in a day proves bad cops how about I show you four or five stories about good cops? Will that change your mind? Of course it wont, because cops are mean to you.
    I bet you can't find that many every day. You probably couldn't find that many good cop stories on one day.

No $#@!? Of course I would be the number one suspect, because... why would I NOT report a murder I witnessed (unless I did it).
    The point is, you don't really have a choice. You should avoid calling the cops if you can, but sometimes you can't. It's not that complicated.

You are not thinking this through and you sound like a frightened little man. And I suppose you would not call the cops if that were your little girls... and you could prove you didn't do it... you would just let it go...
    The cops are notoriously bad at solving crimes anyway. There IS such a thing as vigilante justice.

That's not the point, though. The point is that you should avoid calling the cops if you can. It's not that hard to understand. Trying to imagine up scenarios in which you might have to call the cops does not change the fact that cops can do very little good. A private investigator would do much, much better.

My alternative is to educate military and police to obey their oath to the constitution. Your alternative is to encourage good people from becoming cops because all cops are bad? Ok, you do your thing... I'll do mine. Hope things work out for you.
    If they were to obey their oaths to the Constitution, then they would have to stop harassing people, stop writing tickets for stupid traffic offenses, stop busting people for drug possession, gun possession, gun registration, etc...

I've been around, every bit as long as you. I just didn't sign up until '09. And I've come to the conclusion that some people like to bitch and cry about $#@!... and others do something about it. I think we both know what category we each fit into. So you go on with your rants... and I will do my best to ignore you.
    I don't see you doing anything. Even if you are, it hasn't been very effective. It is illogical to conclude that I belong in a different camp than you simply because I don't like the whole system. What if I contributed to something that would bring down the system? Is that categorically inferior to your idea of working within the system? Because we all know how that's working so far...

I can absolutely agree with that. But to say that ALL cops are bad...
    All cops aren't bad, neither are all DA's or judges or prison wardens or, or....

But the system is!

And any man (or woman) who whores themselves out for taxpayer money against their ethics is not necessarily a "good cop" or judge or DA etc...

Those who whore themselves out and are good with it or even enjoy it are some honest to goodness sick $#@!s.

The police are woefully inadequate at actually stopping crime from happening.
    UNLESS you create a society of "scalable totalitarianism" where people's doors, by the thousands, are kicked in at night by heavily armed ninja squads, where innocent people's pets are routinely shot and killed as a not so subtle way in which to make sure they know who the boss is, where, in the name of fighting the (victimless) drug war, the grenading of toddlers is an accepted level of "collateral damage", where innocent Hispanic grandmothers are shot in their truck delivering newspapers after having been "mistaken" for a large black man, where everything and everybody and every move you make, every word you speak or type or text is logged and scrutinized for "anti government" thoughts and where, in the name of fighting "drunk driving" police now have the right to strap you down, inject you and take you blood against your will.

Now, you will not achieve a 100 percent crime free society, but that's not the goal.

The goal is compliance, for compliances' sake.

And you WILL achieve that.

And freedom?

Liberty?

$#@! all that, ain't nobody got time for that anymore.

Pete is right, "police", as we know them, are a modern construction, wholly unfit for a free society.

Paddy Rollers and Overseers on the other hand, they are required in a slave society.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-22-2014 at 06:23 PM.

It's not statistically impossible if you define bad cops as cops in general...
    So if you define bad cops as all cops, then all cops are bad. Got it. Brilliant, hard to argue with that logic, so I wont. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    By the way, I have no problem with liberty lovers using the Veteran card for the cause of liberty. Use every trick in the book, just like the establishment does.
    There is no "veteran card". There is not card at all. Once you're done working for them, they don't give a $#@! about you any more than they do anyone else. Telling a politician you're a veteran doesn't mean a damned thing. Why do you think they won't send their sons and daughters to war?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People are so harsh and bitter. I don't blame them. But what is so hard about recognizing a leverage point like this? Look back on my history if you can in these forums. I am solidly in the "no such thing as a good cop camp".

I make an exception here for this guy. Could be a mistake, but I doubt it. I think before I get my wish of sweeping criminal justice system reforms to include completely eliminating police forces which are nothing more than government revenue generators, we'll see more and more cops like this one confronting elected officials.

This is a good thing and ought to be encouraged. I make the exception for this man because I know some people just need to wake up from the nightmare. Not all cops are power hungry freaks that blindly obey whatever the policy that day happens to be. Some are just regular folks like me who were born in to a poisoned system and have that poison in their minds. This guy is flushing that poison out, and he just so happens to be a cop. So he is a good cop. Even if he went out the next day and kicked in some doors of some drug dealer, he's a good cop because he will eventually be rid of that poison and when he does, he got the courage to put his life on the line for the truth.

I can respect that. This will be the first cop to step up and pay restitution voluntarily once he realizes his mistake. I want that to spread, not wither and die on the vine.

So I stand behind this cop because there needs to be a conduit into the minds of cops. He and any other cop that thinks like this are perfect conduits for spreading the cure.

There is no "veteran card". There is not card at all. Once you're done working for them, they don't give a $#@! about you any more than they do anyone else. Telling a politician you're a veteran doesn't mean a damned thing. Why do you think they won't send their sons and daughters to war?
    That's just not true. Until you get into core leadership at the State level or at the Federal level like Congress, most politicians are as sold on the American myth as are the voters. Joe City Councilman and Bob County Commissioner may have warped ideologies, but by and large they are there because they actually care.

Once you get into State House Speakers, State Party Chairmen and Committeemen, and Congress and such, THEN it's a different story, with most of them caring most about their own images and careers.

I'm sorry for your loss.

However, it does not change the fact that crime prevention does not work. History bears this out. The threat of imprisonment does not deter crime. What's more, it's simply wrong to throw someone in jail and ruin their life before they've done anything wrong. I could throw you in jail pre-emptively for any number of things you might potentially do in the future. There is no excuse for ruining the lives of innocent people.

Also, one thing you don't seem to understand is that it's already a crime to kill people. The reason they are killed makes absolutely no difference. The purpose of the law is to seek justice, not to prevent crime from happening. The police are notoriously bad at preventing crime, whereas self-defense and good sense are much, much better. The only way to prevent crime is to stop depending on others for your own protection and take your safety into your own hands. If you are ready to ruin someone's life over a potential crime, I dare you to intentionally wreck someone who is obviously driving drunk. After all, it's OBVIOUS that they're going to kill someone, right? Go ahead, stop them at all costs and see if you feel justified in hurting or killing them because they might have hurt or killed someone in the future.

So, what all of you are saying is either
    A) There is no good cop. Ever. or
    B) If there are any good cops... you want them to quit their job to ensure... There are no good cops.

That's brilliant! Instead of trying to increase the number of good (constitutional minded) cops you guys want to make sure every cop is bad. Good luck with that.

Do you really think that our society is suddenly or magically going to eliminate the need for cops? That's right, I said the NEED for cops. Don't get me wrong, I see that there are way too many "bad" cops... hell, I would even say many are evil... but if you think that purging all of the "good" cops from the system is the answer... well, I submit your logic is flawed. That is why I choose to work with and support Oath Keepers.

And for those of you who say "Never call the cops" or "Never talk to the police"... you don't really mean NEVER. I know you don't. Unless you mean to tell me that if you witnessed a crime, lets say a murder... you are walking down the street, you see a hit and run where a vehicle runs over two kids walking on the sidewalk... and you see the drivers face, know what type of vehicle s/he is driving and you get the license plate number and you are the only person around... are you telling me you will NOT call for help? And when you do call for help, are you telling me you will NOT speak with the cops?

Some of you are dreaming of some fantasy where cops are not needed... sounds great to me, but it ain't going to happen in this century... so I'll keep working on encouraging police and military to obey their oath.
    +rep

I can't believe some of the comments in this thread...

-t

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast