Thread: ‘Why Won’t Walmart’s Great Value Ice Cream Sandwiches Melt?’

‘Why Won’t Walmart’s Great Value Ice Cream Sandwiches Melt?’

‘Why Won’t Walmart’s Great Value Ice Cream Sandwiches Melt?’

After news broke that Walmart’s Great Value ice cream sandwiches don’t seem to melt, the public is asking, “Why?” According to WXYZ, mother Christie Watson was stunned one morning when she found an uneaten ice cream sandwich on her patio table. It was a warm 80-degree summer morning. Watson said, “I noticed that my son had left his ice cream sandwich outside, and I was wondering ‘why is there still ice cream in there?’”

Christie Watson’s child had left a Walmart Great Value ice cream sandwich outside on a hot morning and it appeared as though it didn’t melt. It barely looked melted at all after 12 hours.

She looked at the box and says it said that it contained ice cream, not artificial ice cream, so she tested it over night. She said, “Monday, I came out and looked at it and there was still ice cream there. So I thought to myself: what am I feeding to my children?”

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could be one of those new fangled modified tapioca starches like Ultratex or Expandex.

If that's what it is I dunno I suppose they could be really bad for you but haven't heard that they are, I do have some Ultratex that I use in my own cooking though.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

They still melt, but cellulose gum maintains the shape and helps keep it from dripping.

Oh no! All of those deeply health-conscious ice cream sandwich eaters must be shocked!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

They must be using that fake snow from atlanta.

I am sure it is loaded with carrageenan.

Personally I hate all commercial ice creams. They have ingredients like propylene glycol too. I rather make my own.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

"What would you do for a Klondike bar?"

After hearing the mother’s claims, the media decided to do a test as well. That test involved leaving ice cream products outside in the hot sun for a half of an hour. The products tested included regular Haagen Daz ice cream, a Klondike Bar, and of course, a Great Value ice cream sandwich from Walmart.
    The Klondike Bar melted a little. It contains some ingredients similar to Walmart’s Great Value ice cream.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1364796/why...ndwiches-melt/
    These types of additives have been in many, of not most ice cream products for a long time. Ever dump old ice cream in the sink to let it melt (and get rid of it)? Most of the time it remains "firm". It's not frozen though.

Who remembers the infamous Nicole Simpson murder ice cream controversy? People (including Police and lawyers) were actually attempting to use how "melted" a container of ice cream appeared as evidence of when the murders occurred.

O.J. Trial Focuses on Melting Ice Cream / Defense tries to show that cops mishandled evidence:
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/O...se-3044847.php
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 07-21-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

One explanation:
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/mone...s-melt-anymore

We contacted Walmart, which did not want to release an official comment.

However, sources close to the company told us "ice cream melts based on how much buttermilk, butterfat, and cream are in it. Walmart's sandwiches contain less, so they are more affordable. But they are healthy and meet all FDA guidelines."

What's in That Sandwich?

A check of ingredients confirms why Haagen Dazs melts quickly, like ice cream from days of yore.

Walmart's ingredient list includes corn syrup, guar gum, and cellulose gum.
    Unilever's Klondike Bars's ingredient list is very similar to Walmart's, with similar gums added.
    Haagen Dazs contains just cream, milk, sugar, and eggs, and vanilla, but no corn syrup or gums of any type.
    However, we should also point out a cup of Haagen Dazs or another premium ice cream costs about $3. For the same price you get a dozen ice cream sandwiches from Walmart, or other stores.

For store brand sandwiches to be as natural as Haagen Dazs, the price would have to be significantly higher.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just eat durian. It's about like the texture of ice cream and a thousand times more outstandinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Which also explains; You get what you pay for.

High plastic content?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Nothing reassures me more than this:

meet all FDA guidelines
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

I got some of those freeze dried ice creams at the Christa McAuliffe Discovery Center and Planetarium. It was nasty.

Neapolitan Ingredients: MILKFAT & NONFAT MILK, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, WHEY, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), STABILIZED AND EMULSIFIED BY MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, GUAR GUM, CELLULOSE GUM AND CARAGEENAN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, RED BEET JUICE CONCENTRATE AND VEGETABLE ANNATTO COLOR.

There's a jingle in there somewhere. "Melts in your stomach, not on the counter. Doo Dah Doo Dah."

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    There's a jingle in there somewhere. "Melts in your stomach, not on the counter. Doo Dah Doo Dah."
    More like it melts your stomach. doo dah...doo dah.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wanted to add this little tidbit about Carrageenan:

“The common food additive carrageenan (CGN) predictably induces intestinal inflammation in animal models.” — Bhattacharyya S, et al., 2013
    “During the past decade carrageenan has become much used experimentally mainly for its ability to induce an acute inflammation.” — Di Rosa M, 1972
    “Carrageenan is readily taken up by macrophages and stored in lysosomes, which subsequently swell and rupture, apparently resulting in cell death.” — Catanzaro PJ, Schwartz HJ, & Graham RC, 1971
    http://truthstreammedia.com/why-is-g...food-products/

Walmart's Ice Cream Sandwiches Don't Melt In The Sun

Walmart's Ice Cream Sandwiches Don't Melt In The Sun

By Janie Campbell

Last we checked, ice cream is supposed to melt if it isn't kept chilled.

But Walmart's store-brand ice cream sandwiches don't even melt in the sun, according to a report from WCPO Cincinnati.

The discovery was made by a local mom, Christie Watson, who noticed that a Great Value ice cream sandwich her son left out on their patio table hadn't fully melted -- even though it had been sitting out for 12 hours on an 80-degree day. Watson left a second ice cream sandwich out overnight with the same results, WCPO reports.

"What am I feeding to my children?" she asked, appalled.

“Ice cream melts based on the ingredients, including cream," Walmart spokeswoman Danit Marquardt said in an email. "Ice cream with more cream will generally melt at a slower rate, which is the case with our Great Value ice cream sandwiches."

But as Business Insider reports, the product also contains a number of additives:

Continued...

But is it all natural?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    But is it all natural?

Straight from the FDA's website:

What is the meaning of 'natural' on the label of food?

From a food science perspective, it is difficult to define a food product that is 'natural' because the food has probably been processed and is no longer the product of the earth. That said, FDA has not developed a definition for use of the term natural or its derivatives. However, the agency has not objected to the use of the term if the food does not contain added color, artificial flavors, or synthetic substances.
    http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transpar.../ucm214868.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Oh no! All of those deeply health-conscious ice cream sandwich eaters must be shocked!

“One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

I wish people would realize it's not how scary the ingredient sounds, it's what that ingredient actually does to our bodies. Activism should be focused on removing the barriers to lawsuit against companies who can be found to include toxic ingredients, consumer awareness of ingredients, and independent research into long-term effects of ingredients.

Non-melting ice-cream bars is not a bad thing - it just so happens to be scary to people when associated with walmart, because people are afraid of big corporations (or big government, or both). Would it be scary if NASA made it?

Reminds me of the posts about Coca-cola disintegrating battery terminal corrosion. OK - what does it do to our bodies though?
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Walmart Must Tell Us Why Their Ice Cream Sandwiches Don’t Melt
    Friday, August 1, 2014 9:11

or at least one week, the World Wide Web has been in an uproar about Walmart’s Great Value ice cream sandwiches that won’t melt after 12 hours in 80-degree heat. The issue was raised in this WPCOreport when a Cincinnati mother, Christie Watson, saw that her child’s ice cream sandwich simply wouldn’t melt.

Then, Dan Collins of KIKN 100.5 in Sioux Falls also put the sandwiches to the test:

Some consumers are freaking out, while others are trying to quell the “alarmism.” Is there a cause to be worried about this everlasting gobstopping creation?

And, are people focusing on the wrong argument?

In the original story’s experiment, Haagen Dazs melted quickly (it only has 5 ingredients), followed by Klondike sandwiches at a much slower rate – but it still melted. News anchor John Maltese believes that Walmart brand is safe according the FDA and repeatedly tells viewers not to waste their money on premium brands.

Now, here’s what’s in Great Value vanilla ice cream sandwiches. All bolding below is mine.

Ingredients:

Ice Cream (Milk, Cream, Buttermilk, Sugar, Whey, Corn Syrup, Contains 1% Or Less of Mono-And Diglycerides, Vanilla Extract, Guar Gum, Calcium Sulfate, Carob Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Artificial Flavor, Annatto For Color), Wafers (Wheat Flour, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Cocoa, Dextrose, Caramel Color, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt Soy Lecithin, Baking Soda, Artificial Flavor).

What we’re looking at are a bunch of fillers, stabilizers, emulsifiers and thickeners. Cellulose Gum, for instance, is made from wood pulp. This post suggest it absorbs 20 times its weight. Emulsifiers help with oil/water dispersal. Furthermore, ice cream can be filled with a lot of air. There are a few more industry shortcuts at the bottom of this article.

Walmart had this response:

Ice cream melts based on the ingredients including cream. Ice cream with more cream (sic) will generally melt at a slower rate, which is the case with our Great Value ice cream sandwiches….[emphasis mine]

Well, not exactly… higher fat content will melt faster. Higher water content like in non-fat items will melt slower. (Post-Gazette) But I digress… I need to emphasize this – we’re not wondering about slower rates, but no melting rate.

The following bulleted websites offer explanations about Walmart’s ice cream and why we people should relax and move on – nothing to see here. They basically say the same things about fat content, stabilizers, gums, emulsifiers, corn syrups and thickeners. A lot of articles on the subject reference the Post-Gazette article even though it goes counter to Walmart’s claims and never talks about ice cream that forgets to eventually melt.

Continued...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post

Reminds me of the posts about Coca-cola disintegrating battery terminal corrosion. OK - what does it do to our bodies though?
    It is Phosphoric Acid..
    It has a great many uses. It will react with many other things.

I run on it.. Been drinking Coke for decades.

But then,, I am also chemically resistant. I have the stomach of a goat (I think.?)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

As to un-melting ice cream,,

I have seen that,, we had some in the freezer that had been buried and forgotten till the freezer got cleaned out one day.

Likely the same brand. They were freezer burned and stale. so they went into the sink to melt. but they didn't.

Pretty much freezer burned. Freeze dried.

So who makes these Ice Cream Sandwiches? What other brands are they sold under.?
    Does other ice cream do the same when freeze dried?

Hm,,
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom