Thread: It's Official; Rand Paul Doesn't Understand the Importance of a "Decentralized" Cryptocurrency

Thumbs down It's Official; Rand Paul Doesn't Understand the Importance of a "Decentralized" Cryptocurrency

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2014/07/rand-paul-wants-to-see-walcoin-money.html

Rand Paul Wants to See "WalCoin" Money

During the panel discussion at the Lincoln Labs Reboot conference, Rand Paul said he would like to see, what he called, "WalCoin."

Rather than Bitcoin, he said he would like to see about 10 retailers get together and create their own e-currency. WalMart and others. He said it could be called WalCoin and be backed by WalMart stock.

I began to wonder what kind of Aqua Buddha drugs Rand is on when he thinks monetary theory.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by muh_roads; 07-21-2014 at 01:46 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    Rand Paul Wants to See "WalCoin" Money

During the panel discussion at the Lincoln Labs Reboot conference, Rand Paul said he would like to see, what he called, "WalCoin."

Rather than Bitcoin, he said he would like to see about 10 retailers get together and create their own e-currency. WalMart and others. He said it could be called WalCoin and be backed by WalMart stock.
    Hmmm... I'd have to do a lot more research to know whether I'd want to invest in that. I'm pretty sure it would be handy to have around on a card.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Come to think about it, how decentralized do you really want your insurance company to be? or how about the hospital system coordinating your care. Let the decentralized companies compete with the centralized ones and who ever is able to deliver better, efficient and cheaper services wins gets my business. I don't know why anyone would be face palming about companies coming together to coordinate on a business venture

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Come to think about it, how decentralized do you really want your insurance company to be? or how about the hospital system coordinating your care. Let the decentralized companies compete with the centralized ones and who ever is able to deliver better, efficient and cheaper services wins gets my business. I don't know why anyone would be face palming about companies coming together to coordinate on a business venture
    You must lie to your customers and send out statements stating that your care cost megabucks, but we are only going to compensate you for a fraction of that.

If you encounter a pt that does not carry our extortion er insurance, you must charge them our lie to price.

We demand that you submit detailed medical charts including the patient's life history or you will not be compensated. We don't care that this takes a third of your time and reduces your ability to see pt's/income.

Failure to meet our terms will result in our not accepting you as a covered provider and a loss in business.

This is the reality of todays medical care. It's a huge SCAM!

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    You must lie to your customers and send out statements stating that your care cost megabucks, but we are only going to compensate you for a fraction of that.

If you encounter a pt that does not carry our extortion er insurance, you must charge them our lie to price.

We demand that you submit detailed medical charts including the patient's life history or you will not be compensated. We don't care that this takes a third of your time and reduces your ability to see pt's/income.

Failure to meet our terms will result in our not accepting you as a covered provider and a loss in business.

-t
    That was not very wise to use insurance companies and hospitals as my 2 examples. But the main point I was trying to make is that centralization is not all bad and depending on the scale and function, it can be something that is streamlines business operation. Think maybe the inventory system at McDonald's, even though most of the store are independently owned, my bet is that they benefit from having a centralized distribution system for their products.

Ofc, the ultimate test is always going ones ability to survive market competition.

I wouldn't want to be an employee of Walmart and get paid in Walcoin. I don't want to owe my soul to the company store.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    I wouldn't want to be an employee of Walmart and get paid in Walcoin. I don't want to owe my soul to the company store.
    Sounds a lot like script that coalmines used to pay that could only be used at the company store.

I hate that Robert Wenzel rag, when is his wedding with Jennifer Rubin scheduled for?

I would not take Walcoin, but what's wrong with Rand wanting currency backed by stock? It's better than being backed by nothing but emotion, like bitcoin
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Sounds a lot like script that coalmines used to pay that could only be used at the company store.
    Exactly what I was driving at. Although in this day and age, I wouldn't think companies could get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    But the main point I was trying to make is that centralization is not all bad and depending on the scale and function, it can be something that is streamlines business operation.
    Yes, centralization is often a good thing.
    And it happpens naturally as a consequence of one actor making the right decisions. Wal-Mart becomes a retailing giant, McDonalds becomes a hamburger giant, Coca Cola becomes a soft drink giant, because they all made, and continue to make, great business decisions.

Most of the time those decisions center on whether or not they are able to fulfill the needs of consumers better than the competition. And in those cases, it's not only a good thing, it's the main way markets correct themselves.

I would like to see Rand's quote, because for some reason, after all these years, and despite the fact that I should know better by now, I am still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. As-is, the statement on EPJ makes it sound like Rand doesn't have a clue about cryptocurrencies... that he's willing to ignore all the good that's been done by people who know what they're doing, and that he wants to hand the whole thing over to faceless corporations with documented "worker abuses" who probably DON'T know what they're doing when it comes to cryptocurrencies.
    Of course, making it sound that way was probably EPJ's intention.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Could the OP explain what's so bad about what Rand said by presenting reasons, rather than sarcastic memes?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Could the OP explain what's so bad about what Rand said by presenting reasons, rather than sarcastic memes?
    Dondero : Ron Paul :: EPJ : Rand Paul

EPJ has as much credibility as info wars... why do people bother to link to it?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Well, I don't know what's so centralized about a competitive currency. It isn't like Target or Sears/KMart wouldn't have something to say about it, assuming they didn't all work together on it. Any way you slice it, it's couldn't be worse at holding its value than the FRN has been of late. What's the big deal? How does having corporations offer currencies rather than being forced to use Fed Funny Money (TM) mean more centralization?

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    That doesn't sound healthy to me either. Wal Marx employees do enough to haul their sixteen tons a day, without owning their souls too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Who cares? Fact is, that would be less centralized than the FRN. Is that not more relevant?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Infowars is FAR more credible, EPJ is nothing but a smear factory these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

bitcoin is becoming more centralized not less. The more currencies competing the less centralized currency will be. Once you step outside of the bitcoin echo chamber, you can see that adoption of the technology is what will lead to decentralization of currency rather than adoption of the first attempt at making the technology useful.

It's too bad that folks are so enamored by their piece of the infinitely expanding data file called bitcoin that they will take pot shots at a guy like Rand Paul. Rand Paul has the right idea about the technology. I've had similar ideas about how the technology may be used battle fiat legal tender laws that hamstring the free market economy.

Decentralization of bitcoin vaporized very quickly. The only way the technology itself can stay decentralized is to create and use new instances of it. Otherwise, control over the bitcoin economy will continue to consolidate and condense into the hands of fewer and fewer people.

read that.

https://blog.ethereum.org/2014/06/19/mining/

Of course the people inside the bitcoin echo chamber are probably not willing to entertain the idea that bitcoin may not be able to deliver on the original ideals in the white paper now that the technology has scaled.

There is a silver lining tho, the next iteration of the technology will be better.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I find Info wars credible. Even Drudge uses a number of Infowars stories on their headlines, and I find Drudge to be credible as well. When I listened to Alex Jones 4 years ago, I thought he was a complete lunitic. But everything he said then has come to pass, even more so than he implied.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

-t
    Oh man for a second there I thought you were spoofing bitcoin.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Well, now that it's official, I still don't care.

Actually Bitcoin is back by one incredibly massive amount of computing power. It is difficult (but not impossible) for an "alt coin" to meet that level of security. It would be kewl to get Walmart's stuff even after Wally coin got hacked though (unlike what happened when Target got hacked).