Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's the best thing you ever ate?

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    The "family meatloaf" sounds horrid and I didn't like it much as a kid, but once I got to put my own spin on it things worked surprisingly well.

For the original one, it was all beef, seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.), an egg or two depending on size, a half palm full of breadcrumbs at most to soak up the egg, and that's it for the meat. Once it's all gently mixed, it's turned out onto a big piece of foil, and encouraged into a more or less square shape maybe a finger thick. Then mom would put what can only be called "breakfast ham" on top of the square, leaving a little room at the edges. We use sweet ham sliced really thin now that we're on the mainland, but I miss that ham On top of that goes very thin provolone or other mild sliced cheese.

For the sauce, mom mixes 3-4 smashed garlic cloves, a can of V8 (you can go low-sodium here), some red wine, and a tiny bit of beef broth. That sounds weird at first, but honestly it seems like a lot of people use ketchup, which is way too sweet and thick for me. You can use your own veggie juice mix if you have it on hand, but you'd want to add a little seasoning to that. So a splash of the sauce goes on the bottom first, and then you roll the meatloaf --- really it's a meat log but that sounds even less appetizing than a loaf --- using the foil, jelly roll style. The foil also helps transfer your creation to the Pyrex or foil pan with the little bit of sauce in it.

You now have a bunch of sauce and a dubious-looking meatloaf in a pan. We tend to have par-cooked veggies around, or canned ones can work (again reduce the salt elsewhere and really rinse them!), but potatoes and onions and carrots can go around the meat, then the rest of your sauce goes on top. This whole heavy thing goes into a hot oven until it's done. It gets a nice little dark top, it sits and soaks up the wine and tomato flavor, and the veggies wind up drunk and delicious, not to mention it's got a spiral of ham and cheese through it.

I also make an Italian version with different spices, prosciutto, and mozzarella which is how I fell back in love with it.

So not really kid-friendly maybe, but it's one of my cold-weather go-to things for sure
    Yeah, she might need a year or two to help out much with that one, but I have never seen a recipe like that. I like the idea of a V-8 sauce (I like V-8, do not really like ketchup). I generally tried to go the mushroom route with meatloaf, and ended up making a giant meatball with mushroom gravy that just didn't really do much for me--and then all the fat and the gross protein stuff that emerges during the baking really didn't help. Thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While out at a French restaurant for my birthday I had a burger with foie gras on it. Having never had it before I had my reservations, but it was the most decadent thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Green tomatoes fried in bacon grease is my favorite thing to eat.
    Always an early summer favorite .

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Really good list--how do you make your meatloaf? I've tried making it a couple times and it's always more of a meatlump. I guess in asking this question, I'm looking for new ideas for foods for the kid and myself to make, she really likes cooking with me and we've pretty much done all my go-to recipes. And a salad that you remember 10 years later is how I felt about the tuna I had, but I can't even have that ingredient in the house anymore, I can't even order it on the rare occasions we go out because of the severity of my kid's allergy.
    Meatloaf around my house is just ground roast and steak ( low end cuts ), salt and peppered with a tiny bit of fresh ground garlic, chopped onion( mine) and Spanish rice mixed into the middle, some tomatoes on top ( mine), Pretty darn good on a cold winter day with some canned green beans from the summer garden ( mine, various kinds all canned together ) , mashed potatoes ( mine) and gravy. Tasty after a frosty day splitting wood .
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-25-2014 at 12:15 AM.

College. Late night munchies. Spaghetti. Sauce made of tomato juice and that powdered spaghetti mix. It seemed like the greatest thing ever at the time.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    College. Late night munchies. Spaghetti. Sauce made of tomato juice and that powdered spaghetti mix. It seemed like the greatest thing ever at the time.
    You must have been pretty famished .

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You must have been pretty famished .
    For some reason that seemed to happen when we all wandered in around 2am...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

also,there is this Greek/European restaurant in my town and they have insane food..

yesterday, I went in for lunch and got an crazy amount of food.. I was in heaven it was so good..

to begin, I had Homemade Red Lentil Soup, Greek Cabbage salad, and a side of gyro meat( high quality halal lamb)

then I had a Spinach Pie(Phylo Dough, Spinach, Feta) with saffron rice and Cucumber Yogurt.

OH MY GOD ITS THE BEST THING EVER.. I would eat this everyday. in fact, I am going back to do it again today.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    also,there is this Greek/European restaurant in my town and they have insane food..

yesterday, I went in for lunch and got an crazy amount of food.. I was in heaven it was so good..

to begin, I had Homemade Red Lentil Soup, Greek Cabbage salad, and a side of gyro meat( high quality halal lamb)

then I had a Spinach Pie(Phylo Dough, Spinach, Feta) with saffron rice and Cucumber Yogurt.

OH MY GOD ITS THE BEST THING EVER.. I would eat this everyday. in fact, I am going back to do it again today.
    Enjoy Kotin ! One of my Brother's favorites are the lamb gyros at a Greek place .

Enjoy Kotin ! One of my Brother's favorites are the lamb gyros at a Greek place .
    I'm there now and Just finished... I stand by my statement!!!
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Remembrance of Guilty Pleasures past:

Mid-'70s Gyro II and Flame Steak restaurants near NYC Penn Station
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Eating food that you grew yourself tastes like freedom.
    Boy you said it. I love the summer when I have all my greens, onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes. I still have to buy some fruits, but I love an empty refrigerator and collecting stuff outside. My next goal in life is to do some serious foraging for greens.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post

Greek/Mediterranean is my favorite food of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    watermelon, on a hot summer day, with friends and family around.

Watermelon with salt...yummy.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Watermelon with salt...yummy.
    I never understood the logic behind putting salt on watermelon. Why do people do this, Suzanimal? It's so nice and sweet and cold as it is. Especially when you get a nice gritty one.

I never understood the logic behind putting salt on watermelon. Why do people do this, Suzanimal? It's so nice and sweet and cold as it is. Especially when you get a nice gritty one.
    I dunno, cuz I'm a redneck? That's what my husband says anyway...
    I love it plain but I can almost eat a whole one with salt.

I did find this interesting.

Salt makes watermelon taste sweeter by creating a salty sweet contrast that allows the sweetness of the melon to stand out. Watermelon often has a subtle sweetness to it because so much of it is water, unlike a strawberry or other fruit where the flavor seems to be very concentrated and intense, so giving the sweetness a bit of salt to stand up against makes it seem much bolder. Salt also makes you salivate, which will make the watermelon seem even juicier than it is on its own. The trick to success is to only add a small pinch of salt and to evenly scatter it over the whole piece of melon. If you add too much salt, you’ll drown out the melon’s sweetness and you’ll have to start over with a fresh piece.
    Read more: http://bakingbites.com/2011/08/does-...#ixzz38bzsf2My

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I dunno, cuz I'm a redneck? That's what my husband says anyway...
    I love it plain but I can almost eat a whole one with salt.

I did find this interesting.

Read more: http://bakingbites.com/2011/08/does-...#ixzz38bzsf2My
    Heh. You might be a redneck....

I had heard a similar explanation to the one that you shared. Was just wondering first hand, I suppose.

Watermelon and apples are inedible without salt.

Heh. You might be a redneck....

I had heard a similar explanation to the one that you shared. Was just wondering first hand, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Watermelon and apples are inedible without salt.
    I wouldn't say inedible but I prefer them both with salt.

I'm having another favorite for dinner...buttermilk and cornbread. I'm home alone tonight so I'm treating myself.

I had an aunt who put salt in her Stroh's beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Making this for dinner tonight.

Paleo Coconut Shrimp

1 lb raw prawns (or shrimp) in shell
    1 (403 mL) can coconut milk
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp ginger root, peeled and minced
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
    Wash prawns or shrimp, but do not shell them.
    Place prawns into a medium saucepan with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper.
    Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
    Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
    Remove from shells and serve warm.

I'm adding cut asparagus, onion and $#@!ake mushrooms. Serving it over spaghetti squash.

Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    My wife's Chicken Kiev.

Fresh caught (by me) scallops and lobster.

Shrimp saltimbocca at a little hole in the wall Italian place in Morehead City NC.

Penne and Bolonganese sauce with grilled sausages at Cafe Italiana in Boston's North End.

Filet mignon at The Library in Portsmouth NH.

Venison medallions in a red wine and shallot reduction at the Palm Beach Game Club.
    My family and I go to the Library every year for Thanksgiving. The number of great restaurants in Portsmouth is almost too many to count. Next time you're in town I recommend The Black Trumpet.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You don't put so much salt on it that you actually taste it. Just a tiny sprinkle of salt actually brings out the watermelon flavor more profoundly. Just like it does for avocados.

The best European food I ever had was Mandrik's Trainwreck. It's a high quality Greek gyro but the bread is replaced by a 10 strip beacon weave. Although, I preferred it with both the bacon weave and still having bread on the outside so it wasn't as messy. I had it at PorcFest. Sadly, Mandrik no longer cooks at PorcFest

Opened up.

Folded but missing the outer layer of bread that I like.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I had an aunt who put salt in her Stroh's beer.
    I salt my beer too, learned it from my Dad with pull-top Stroh's...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    It just dawned on me.

The best thing I ever ate was Huachinango. It was served in a grass shack on the beach in Malaque, Mexico. To this day, I can't figure out how it was cooked, but it was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. It looked much like this.

That looks positively revolting.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post

I don't think there's anything better than fresh steamed crab with grilled corn on the cob and an ice cold beer.
    For the life of me, I will never understand why so many people think seafood is the best thing they've ever eaten.

As for me, there's a place in my town that's great in general, but one thing in particular that I will never forget is their reuben. So yeah, the best thing I've ever eaten is a reuben.

I know it doesn't sound too exciting, but it was for me!
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 07-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    That looks positively revolting.
    Don't worry,Mrs. Pauls still makes frozen fish sticks.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234