Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the best thing you ever ate?

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    hahaha

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    watermelon, on a hot summer day, with friends and family around.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Most did. That's why they went the way of all fads, I guess. I liked them back when I had the taste buds of a kid. Haven't seen them since.

Well, the beans look edible enough, anyway. Can't see the rest of the plate.

Okay I had to get to my laptop to resize it and then had to delete in "Manage Attachments" Anyhoo...this is a smaller version.Attachment 2805

During the week though I tend to try and stick to this kind of stuff:

Attachment 2806
    Last edited by Carlybee; 07-21-2014 at 08:49 PM.

This task is not possible; I've eaten so much good food. Between good health and good food, I feel so blessed.

However, here are a few especially memorable meals. I included the setting because that was part of what made a delicious meal extra memorable:

A plate full of assorted pierogis, cheese, saurkraut, potato, and prune, made in-house at the Red Baron Tavern in Cleveland, slathered in butter and caramelized onions, with a side of sour cream. That was the Friday special, as it was in many area restaurants in the largely Catholic neighborhood, but theirs were extra special.

Schweinshaxe (roast pork knuckle) with kartoffelknödel (potato dumpling) and sauerkraut served at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, washed down with a mug of lager.

Home made Fettuccine Alfredo while on my sailboat at anchor in the Corrotoman River (a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay) at sunset, washed down with a glass of merlot.

Shore Dinner (steamed lobster, corn on the cob, boiled potatoes, mussels, biscuit, followed by a slice of blueberry pie) at a tiny place in Maine called something like the "Captain's Table".

Full Irish Breakfast at some B&B in northwest Ireland.

Mussels on Farmer's Cheese on Saltines, washed down with a mug of stout, while at anchor near Castine, Maine, waiting out a strong storm front.

Sushi & Sashimi at Sushi Kim's in Pittsburgh.

Soft-shell blue crab sandwich and fries / Crabcakes various places along the Chesapeake (haven't sorted out the best place yet)

Fresh caught pan fried bluegill, homemade

Lobster Bisque at the Boardwalk, Put-in-Bay, South Bass Island, OH, served in a bread bowl.

Filet Mignon, Golden Steer Steakhouse in Las Vegas......the thing was huge, melt-in-your-mouth, and so juicy flavorful.

Pulled pork sandwiches and chips at a hog roast put on by a guy I used to work with.

Home-cooked home-grown grass fed T-bone steak, pan-seared.

Roast leg of lamb with potato pancakes and applesauce / Lamb chops with garlic mashed potatoes and applesauce.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    This task is not possible; I've eaten so much good food. Between good health and good food, I feel so blessed.

However, here are a few especially memorable meals. I included the setting because that was part of what made a delicious meal extra memorable:

A plate full of assorted pierogis, cheese, saurkraut, potato, and prune, made in-house at the Red Baron Tavern in Cleveland, slathered in butter and caramelized onions, with a side of sour cream. That was the Friday special, as it was in many area restaurants in the largely Catholic neighborhood, but theirs were extra special.

Schweinshaxe (roast pork knuckle) with kartoffelknödel (potato dumpling) and sauerkraut served at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, washed down with a mug of lager.

Home made Fettuccine Alfredo while on my sailboat at anchor in the Corrotoman River (a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay) at sunset, washed down with a glass of merlot.

Shore Dinner (steamed lobster, corn on the cob, boiled potatoes, mussels, biscuit, followed by a slice of blueberry pie) at a tiny place in Maine called something like the "Captain's Table".

Mussels on Farmer's Cheese on Saltines, washed down with a mug of stout, while at anchor near Castine, Maine, waiting out a strong storm front.

Soft-shell blue crab sandwich and fries / Crabcakes various places along the Chesapeake (haven't sorted out the best place yet)

Lobster Bisque at the Boardwalk, Put-in-Bay, South Bass Island, OH, served in a bread bowl.

Filet Mignon, Golden Steer Steakhouse in Las Vegas......the thing was huge, melt-in-your-mouth, and so juicy flavorful.

Pulled pork sandwiches and chips at a hog roast put on by a guy I used to work with.

Roast leg of lamb with potato pancakes and applesauce / Lamb chops with garlic mashed potatoes and applesauce.
    Yeah , hard to beat Lobster , Leg of lamb, Bluegill , soft shell crab ....

A couple things come to mind

1. A ceaser salad I had on a cruse when I was 11. I remember it being just amazing.

2. A chocolate smothered chocolate cake filled with hot chocolate fudge I had at a restaurant in Boyne City, Michigan.

3. Fresh caught bluegill and crappie out of Houghton Lake. My grandpa fried them as soon as we got back to shore. They were so big I couldn't even fit my hand around them to take the hook out! They were just so good.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

You sure are an Ohio boy! Michael Symon (my favorite chef, and probably a stoner) is based in Cleveland. I've been wanting to try a burger or whatever and one of his "downscale" restaurants. I think there's one in Akron too IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post

1. A ceaser salad I had on a cruse when I was 11. I remember it being just amazing.

2. A chocolate smothered chocolate cake filled with hot chocolate fudge I had at a restaurant in Boyne City, Michigan.

3. Fresh caught bluegill and crappie out of Houghton Lake. My grandpa fried them as soon as we got back to shore. They were so big I couldn't even fit my hand around them to take the hook out! They were just so good.
    Sounds good. Long ago I had to eat fish for months, since that was the only thing my mother would buy--then we went to a big game reserve and the only red meat on the menu was venison tenderloin--it was heavenly. Probably made moreso since I'd only had tuna and fishsticks for months. The "hypermarket" she had to shop at only had whole chickens aside from fish, and she was far too squeamish to cut off their heads and dissect them.

Mmm...you're making me hungry.
    Last edited by donnay; 07-22-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The best burger I have eaten was at Walburgers outside of Boston.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I usually don't eat a lot for breakfast or I skip it all together. Something I do really like; scrambled eggs w/ (white) truffle oil on toast. Takes a few minutes to make and it tastes heavenly. No ketchup, just salt, pepper and chives. Don't forget a lot of butter.

I don't have a clue what the best thing I ever ate is, it's many things. I eat pretty decent food every day so it's hard to pick.

I had bacon wrapped scallops once, that was pretty incredible.

I had steak and swordfish from a little place in Southern Cal that had their own fishing boat that would make my top ten.

I once made a fettucine alfredo that was to pasta what a quadruple bypass burger is to hamburgers - best thing I personally have made.

Sushi in general is almost always awesome.

And we went on an NCL cruise for our honeymoon 22 years ago, and seriously that entire week is a fond memory of absolutely amazing food.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Too much good food,, and C rations are great when you are hungry.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Half a box of muscat raisins when I was absolutely starving, after I foolishly skipped breakfast before a making 15-mile cross-country ski trip. It was the only thing in the car when I got back. Nothing before or since has been more satisfying.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

My wife's Chicken Kiev.

Fresh caught (by me) scallops and lobster.

Shrimp saltimbocca at a little hole in the wall Italian place in Morehead City NC.

Penne and Bolonganese sauce with grilled sausages at Cafe Italiana in Boston's North End.

Filet mignon at The Library in Portsmouth NH.

Venison medallions in a red wine and shallot reduction at the Palm Beach Game Club.

Recently I was in Hilton Head, SC for a mini-family vacation with my mom, and I had the best overall meal I've ever had at a restaurant named "Umbra" (it's upscale Italian). It's in the middle of what basically is a strip mall, so I was kind of astounded by how good the food was. (I also ate a TON of food there - still not sure how I didn't gain any weight from the experience.)

The appetizer was mussels in a tomato and white wine sauce - best of both worlds sauce-wise, no complaints... everything was fresh.

The main course was one I'll never forget - filet mignon wrapped in prosciutto in a Barolo reduction with the *best* mashed potatoes ever (I normally kinda hate potatoes, so they have to be super good to win me over) on a bed of broccoli rabe. The filet had some sort of gorgonzola butter sauce on top, which was also delicious considering I didn't know how to feel about blue cheese prior to this dining experience.

I have a pic (I don't normally take pics of my food either, but I just had to immortalize this...no accompanying hashtags):

Somehow I had room after all that, so I got profiteroles for dessert (like fancy cream puffs in a glorious chocolate sauce and powdered sugar). Everything was phenomenal.

Anyway, that's just a recent example - my mom's a great cook, so I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to food.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post

Caesar salad is definitely in my top 10 of best food ever. I make a caesar inspired salad (I put more in than the original) about once every other week or so.

I bought a piece of gruyere cheese on a market in France one day. Best cheese I ever had and something that really has stuck in my mind until today.

I also have good memories of eating food while skiing in Austria, mostly schnitzels, bratwurst and some local variety of pasta w/ cheese. Nothing complicated but exactly right for the circumstances. Damn they make good schnitzel there.

This looks most like what we got there (lots of bad pics on google), the schnitzels were giant, usually the size of the plate or bigger. Under it you could find some fries, served with ketchup and a lemon. Add 2 large beers, happy skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Caesar salad is definitely in my top 10 of best food ever. I make a caesar inspired salad (I put more in than the original) about once every other week or so.

I bought a piece of gruyere cheese on a market in France one day. Best cheese I ever had and something that really has stuck in my mind until today.

I also have good memories of eating food while skiing in Austria, mostly schnitzels, bratwurst and some local variety of pasta w/ cheese. Nothing complicated but exactly right for the circumstances. Damn they make good schnitzel there.

This looks most like what we got there (lots of bad pics on google), the schnitzels were giant, usually the size of the plate or bigger. Under it you could find some fries, served with ketchup and a lemon. Add 2 large beers, happy skiing.
    Vienna has remarkably good food. I've had wienerschnitzel, spaetzel--all the classics, and it was ridiculously good. It was quite a while ago, but Schonbrunn Palace is where we went to eat for the most spectacular food there. We even went to McDonald's there just for the heck of it, and even that was better--and my dad got beer there which was actually good.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Alabama Hot Pocket
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I don't think there's anything better than fresh steamed crab with grilled corn on the cob and an ice cold beer.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I had bacon wrapped scallops once, that was pretty incredible.

I had steak and swordfish from a little place in Southern Cal that had their own fishing boat that would make my top ten.

I once made a fettucine alfredo that was to pasta what a quadruple bypass burger is to hamburgers - best thing I personally have made.

Sushi in general is almost always awesome.

And we went on an NCL cruise for our honeymoon 22 years ago, and seriously that entire week is a fond memory of absolutely amazing food.
    There is a Chinese , sit down place , in the town nearest me . They have the bacon wrapped scallops on the appetizer menu. I stop in about once a yr and just get a plate of those and a couple Tsing Tao beers. Tasty .

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

The local smokehouse here sells Brats with gruyere cheese in them .

Yummmmy lobsters!!!

I think part of why this question vexes most of us is because it depends on what's going on. Do I want a big ole bowl of soup with a grilled cheese today? It's over 100 degrees out with the heat index tacked on, so no, but in the middle of a snowy winter there are few things more delicious and comforting

The steak I made the other day was flirting with the extreme side of rareness but had a wonderful sear to it.
    The kobe beef fried rice at Pearl in Vegas was memorable.
    The entire meal for my wedding reception was amazing (I would do it all exactly the same except I would make sure the groom was not a psychotic jerk or anything weird like that).
    Of all places, the Melting Pot had a mushroom salad that was incredible and I haven't had the motivation to try to recreate. I didn't care for the other food but I still remember the salad 10+ years later.
    My meatloaf (again, depends on the type of day) with roasted veggies.
    I would have to put my vote in for Caesar salad as well --- specifically the tableside salad from this Italian place in WV.
    Vidalia onions big enough to stuff, pretty much prepared any way.
    Boiled peanuts. Seriously.
    Strawberries at that precise level of ripeness before they go soft or sour.
    Piraguas (they are like snow cones, but the syrups are much richer and come in the usual variety of weird tropical fruit flavors)
    Any variation on my mac & cheese.
    Twice-baked potatoes.
    A perfect roast chicken (or Cornish hens work, too).
    Pico de gallo when it's done juuuuuuuuuuust right
    Stuffed tomatoes
    Fresh roasted sweet peppers, the skin blistered off, leaving just a juicy spectacular sweet amazing thing that does not much resemble the pepper it started as (somehow I don't like bell peppers much)
    Fresh citrus!
    Pinchos (kabobs they used to sell on the beach)

...and probably 1000 more things. They really all have been the best thing ever at some time or another.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I don't know about the boiled peanuts but that's a pretty good list there.

Green tomatoes fried in bacon grease is my favorite thing to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post

...and probably 1000 more things. They really all have been the best thing ever at some time or another.
    My strawberries have been good this year.. Wild strawberries.

No one around here wants to do anything with them,, so I just sit down in the patches and eat them ,, plant to mouth.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I think part of why this question vexes most of us is because it depends on what's going on. Do I want a big ole bowl of soup with a grilled cheese today? It's over 100 degrees out with the heat index tacked on, so no, but in the middle of a snowy winter there are few things more delicious and comforting

The steak I made the other day was flirting with the extreme side of rareness but had a wonderful sear to it.
    The kobe beef fried rice at Pearl in Vegas was memorable.
    The entire meal for my wedding reception was amazing (I would do it all exactly the same except I would make sure the groom was not a psychotic jerk or anything weird like that).
    Of all places, the Melting Pot had a mushroom salad that was incredible and I haven't had the motivation to try to recreate. I didn't care for the other food but I still remember the salad 10+ years later.
    My meatloaf (again, depends on the type of day) with roasted veggies.
    I would have to put my vote in for Caesar salad as well --- specifically the tableside salad from this Italian place in WV.
    Vidalia onions big enough to stuff, pretty much prepared any way.
    Boiled peanuts. Seriously.
    Piraguas (they are like snow cones, but the syrups are much richer and come in the usual variety of weird tropical fruit flavors)
    Any variation on my mac & cheese.
    Twice-baked potatoes.
    A perfect roast chicken (or Cornish hens work, too).
    Pico de gallo when it's done juuuuuuuuuuust right
    Stuffed tomatoes
    Fresh roasted sweet peppers, the skin blistered off, leaving just a juicy spectacular sweet amazing thing that does not much resemble the pepper it started as (somehow I don't like bell peppers much)
    Fresh citrus!
    Pinchos (kabobs they used to sell on the beach)

Really good list--how do you make your meatloaf? I've tried making it a couple times and it's always more of a meatlump. I guess in asking this question, I'm looking for new ideas for foods for the kid and myself to make, she really likes cooking with me and we've pretty much done all my go-to recipes. And a salad that you remember 10 years later is how I felt about the tuna I had, but I can't even have that ingredient in the house anymore, I can't even order it on the rare occasions we go out because of the severity of my kid's allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Really good list--how do you make your meatloaf? I've tried making it a couple times and it's always more of a meatlump. I guess in asking this question, I'm looking for new ideas for foods for the kid and myself to make, she really likes cooking with me and we've pretty much done all my go-to recipes. And a salad that you remember 10 years later is how I felt about the tuna I had, but I can't even have that ingredient in the house anymore, I can't even order it on the rare occasions we go out because of the severity of my kid's allergy.
    The "family meatloaf" sounds horrid and I didn't like it much as a kid, but once I got to put my own spin on it things worked surprisingly well.

For the original one, it was all beef, seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.), an egg or two depending on size, a half palm full of breadcrumbs at most to soak up the egg, and that's it for the meat. Once it's all gently mixed, it's turned out onto a big piece of foil, and encouraged into a more or less square shape maybe a finger thick. Then mom would put what can only be called "breakfast ham" on top of the square, leaving a little room at the edges. We use sweet ham sliced really thin now that we're on the mainland, but I miss that ham On top of that goes very thin provolone or other mild sliced cheese.

For the sauce, mom mixes 3-4 smashed garlic cloves, a can of V8 (you can go low-sodium here), some red wine, and a tiny bit of beef broth. That sounds weird at first, but honestly it seems like a lot of people use ketchup, which is way too sweet and thick for me. You can use your own veggie juice mix if you have it on hand, but you'd want to add a little seasoning to that. So a splash of the sauce goes on the bottom first, and then you roll the meatloaf --- really it's a meat log but that sounds even less appetizing than a loaf --- using the foil, jelly roll style. The foil also helps transfer your creation to the Pyrex or foil pan with the little bit of sauce in it.

You now have a bunch of sauce and a dubious-looking meatloaf in a pan. We tend to have par-cooked veggies around, or canned ones can work (again reduce the salt elsewhere and really rinse them!), but potatoes and onions and carrots can go around the meat, then the rest of your sauce goes on top. This whole heavy thing goes into a hot oven until it's done. It gets a nice little dark top, it sits and soaks up the wine and tomato flavor, and the veggies wind up drunk and delicious, not to mention it's got a spiral of ham and cheese through it.

I also make an Italian version with different spices, prosciutto, and mozzarella which is how I fell back in love with it.

So not really kid-friendly maybe, but it's one of my cold-weather go-to things for sure
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast