Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Paul/Sanford be a good ticket?

Could Paul/Sanford be a good ticket?

Sanford was a great governor. Most of us here like him already. Yeah ik about the affair but meh.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Na, the democrats will run two women. We'll need a woman and/or minority to trump their storyline.

With Sanford's philandering as baggage? Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Na, the democrats will run two women. We'll need a woman and/or minority to trump their storyline.
    I agree with that.

I do not disagree with the political strategy you suggest employing.

I do suggest that, The American People must abandon this line of thinking. The Republicans, even lead by Paul, will not change the direction of our country. They will not save liberty. IMHO, the Republican Party has done just as much damage to our country as the Democrats. Why vote for anyone in either party?

Somehow,,,we need to think about electing people that share the same values we do. I think this could be accomplished at the local levels though.

It needs to be someone we can trust. Period. Don't play politics with the VP spot. If they try to shoot Rand we don't want some George Bush figure waiting in the wings ala Reagan.
    It's just an opinion... man...

NO. Two Southern white men would only stoke the Democratic flames.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    It needs to be someone we can trust. Period. Don't play politics with the VP spot. If they try to shoot Rand we don't want some George Bush figure waiting in the wings ala Reagan.
    You don't trust Sanford? Every minority in the GOP that's somewhat popular is virtually stupid or a terrible choice. I would love a minority, but let's be real

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mike Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    You don't trust Sanford? Every minority in the GOP that's somewhat popular is virtually stupid or a terrible choice. I would love a minority, but let's be real
    Ben Carson. Also, isn't Amash technically a minority?
    Stop believing stupid things

No, Sanford is a bad choice.
    Knowledge is Liberty!

No, Sanford is poison outside South Carolina due to his personal life, and his weird hippie ramblings about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

We have no women or minorities of note.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Get real. Did you already forget about what Sanford did as Governor? The whole Argentina mistress thing?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Get real. Did you already forget about what Sanford did as Governor? The whole Argentina mistress thing?
    You mean his "Soul Mate"?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Maybe, but only if we can manage to keep Sanford out of Bilderberg return trips.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Susana Martinez would be hands down the top VP prospect for all Republicans. She is more on the establishment side so she would balance the ticket with Rand as the anti-establishment nominee. She is a popular Republican Governor in a Democrat leaning state (New Mexico) that could be in play and could help in Colorado, New Mexico, and nationwide.

1. Susana Martinez. The top pick on this list is someone who has declared zero interest in running for president. Martinez, who is the first Hispanic female governor of New Mexico, is also the only GOP woman on this list. If Clinton runs and wins, Martinez could emerge as a powerful counterweight in the battle for women voters. The question marks are: 1) Whether Martinez wants it and 2) How the GOP primary ends up. Martinez stumped for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) last year and defended him as he's been sullied by a traffic scandal involving former aides. If Christie runs and she endorses him, Martinez would be well-positioned if he gets the nomination. If Martinez does so and Christie loses, the candidate who beats him might not quickly forget it.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ad-that-right/

I don't think Sanford's a good idea, but I don't buy this reasoning either. Putting a woman on the ticket is a hindrance, not a help. Women are short, have high-pitched voices, can only come across in politics as either airheads or shrews, and will never match up to the unspoken expectations people have for what constitutes a great leader, especially a military one. And those are just the ideologically neutral factors that will obtain before you take into account widespread beliefs about gender roles. Just because the Dems are shooting their own foot (twice in your prediction) doesn't mean we have to do the same.

Also, now that the color line has been broken, and that turned out horribly by all estimates but the most partisan Democrats, I don't think the electorate as a whole will be likely to see the fact that someone is an ethnic minority as much of a selling point any more either.

Obviously, Rand should publicly make people think that women and minorities are very high on his list. But when it comes to the actual decision, he shouldn't consider those factors as pluses.
    Last edited by erowe1; 07-20-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Why oh why do we always count chickens before the eggs are even laid? Who cared who might be Ron Paul's running mate until he secured the nomination, which he never came close to, but that didn't stop the rank speculation? Similarly we aren't even through the 2014 midterms. But heck, naval gaze all you want if you find that fun.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I don't think Sanford's a good idea, but I don't buy this reasoning either. Putting a woman on the ticket is a hindrance, not a help. Woman are short, have shrill voices, can only come across in politics as either airheads or shrews, and will never match up to the unspoken expectations people have for what constitutes a great leader, especially a military one. And those are just the ideologically neutral factors that will obtain before you take into account widespread beliefs about gender roles. Just because the Dems are shooting their own foot (twice in your prediction) doesn't mean we have to do the same.

Also, now that the color line as been broken, and that turned out horribly by all but the most partisan Democrats, I don't think the electorate as a whole will be likely to see the fact that someone is an ethnic minority as much of a selling point any more either.
    Yeah, Sarah Palin did not help McCain in '08, besides energizing the Conservative Base. Polls showed that Herman Cain would not have done noticeably better among blacks in '12.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yeah, if he had never had a scandal he would have been the best bet for sure.

i am not insisting on it, but why not ralph nader, should make the liberals feel safe, totally topples hillary's remaining and imaginative credentials and negates elizabeth warren as well
    Last edited by jtstellar; 07-20-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Niki Haley is republican isn't she?
    Yes, and she was an ally of Sanford's when he was governor.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okaloosa View Post
    Susana Martinez would be hands down the top VP prospect for all Republicans. She is more on the establishment side so she would balance the ticket with Rand as the anti-establishment nominee. She is a popular Republican Governor in a Democrat leaning state (New Mexico) that could be in play and could help in Colorado, New Mexico, and nationwide.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ad-that-right/
    I agree. It is like Susana Martinez was born to be the Vice President. She's Mexican-American, female, and Catholic. These are three groups that Republicans need to improve on in order to win.

The critical swing states to win for the White House are Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and one of the following (Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, New Mexico).
    The best choice besides Susana Martinez that could help win Ohio would be John Kasich.

Although they are similar in terms of their political trajectories, their presidential prospects raise somewhat different considerations. A Kasich candidacy for the Republican nomination would likely suffer from his having been around the track so many times. For example, as a congressman Kasich supported the assault weapons ban passed by Congress in 1994. That same year, he helped pass a crime bill that contained restrictions on firearms.

As governor, Kasich accepted the Medicaid expansion for Ohio. He has cited his Catholic religious belief in helping poor people as the basis for this decision. Paul Ryan is sometimes called Kasich 2.0, and the similarities extend beyond the fact that both are budget hawks.

On the other hand, Kasich is the popular governor of the quintessential swing state, where he has put together a solid record of achievement. And his willingness to deviate from conservative orthodoxy might help him in a general presidential election if he were somehow to win the nomination.
    http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive...mike-pence.php

The critical swing states to win for the White House are Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and one of the following (Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, New Mexico).
    The best choice besides Susana Martinez that could help win Ohio would be John Kasich.
    Kasich would be insane, who is that supposed to drag along, Dick Cheney? He will be voting for Hillary no matter who Rand's VP will be. Or are you saying pick him just because he is from Ohio and hopefully some of his buds will vote for the ticket?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

If Rand Paul choses John Kasich while Hillary Clinton choses HUD Secretary Julian Castro, Hispanics in Florida, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico might vote for the Democratic ticket. Although Ohio has more electoral votes than New Mexico, Martinez would probably assist the ticket more than Kasich.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Kasich would be insane, who is that supposed to drag along, Dick Cheney? He will be voting for Hillary no matter who Rand's VP will be.
    I don't like Kasich, but I think he would help the ticket politically.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I don't like Kasich, but I think he would help the ticket politically.
    I suppose it is possible, but with what constituency?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast