Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could Paul/Sanford be a good ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Agreed 100%.

His ex-wife didn't help matters by being a class act all the way through the drama either. And Sanford still hasn't married his soul mate, which makes him look even sleazier.

His personal life combined with his quirkiness makes him a presidential loser. That's the sad fact of electoral politics - it isn't just about the issues. Heck, it's not really about the issues much at all.
    Yeah, that's the thing about him. He's really odd. It's not that his adultery is on a worse level than someone else's. But the way it came out and the way he handled it made a big impression on people that will be hard to change.

Newt's was probably worse. But by the time most people found out about it, it had already been years in the past. There was no public media circus surrounding it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEsq View Post
    LePage has also vetoed drug reform bills and has been on the wrong side of many other issues.
    Details?

Not to mention there's probably a majority of people in his own state who think he's crazy/a loose cannon.
    Yea, his favorable/unfavorable rating hovers around 40/60, but keep in mind it is a pretty solidly Blue State, and he's the first GOP governor in a long time. In other words, that so many Mainers dislike him might have little to do with him personally, and more to do with the fact that he's a conservative republican, all of whom they consider "crazy extremists" etc. I don't know, we'll see what happens this November.

Yeah that's probably right. I can't really think of anyone else, though. I don't think Martinez would be enough on the same page with Paul politically to nominate either. Besides Haley I'm kinda blanking on a nominee who would meet all the points.
    Yea, I know, slim pickins. Among federal politicians, I like Mike Lee, but I really think it ought to be somebody with executive experience.

I'm assuming there's a basis for saying that? Has she had problematic interviews in the past?
    She's had a tendency to flip on taxation. I just don't think she's with us. She doesn't look anti-establishment imo

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    P.S. How about Maine Governor Paul Lepage? He has major executive experience in both business and government, he's one of us ideologically, he's a Republican governor in a State that usually goes Blue in Presidential elections, he's got an extremely compelling life story. He has made a few politically incorrect remarks, but nothing that's a deal breaker IMO.
    I was waiting to see if anyone else said it here first. My pick would also be Paul LePage, as I've said elsewhere. He would be an excellent ticket balancer for Rand:
    executive experience
    very good conservative record
    proven integrity
    would draw the support of "moderate" Republicans in the northeast
    outspoken on the issues

No, he isn't perfect, and isn't a "pure" libertarian by any means. But he would be a ticket balancer, an excellent one, one that would be acceptable to the establishment while at the same time being acceptable from the perspective of his record. There could be a lot of potentially worse VP picks foisted upon Rand at the convention. If not as Rand's VP pick, I'd love to see LePage in DC as a Senator or in Congress when he's done being Governor.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

I like Lepage. I'm glad he is my governor. That said he is a horrible VP choice. He is a loose cannon and has no filter. He is not ready for prime time. He would almost surely commit a huge gaffe that is seen as folksy here, but fails on a national stage.

Maine is a 3 party state. That's the only reason he is governor. His GOP support base rock solid and unchanging. The democrats and independents hate him, but look to split the vote again and keep him in office.

LePage has said some controversial things about Obama tbh

Rand needs to choose a woman or a gay man.

I am watching Ben Carson. Issues wise he isn't perfect but as a man I think he is great. I am not looking at him even as a minority but it helps. Two doctors against the Washington lawyers. Unlike Obama he actually came from poverty and gave valuable work to the country and thousands of lives. Carson could do heavy campaigning in black America and inspire.

If you get a chance watch this movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted_...n_Carson_Story
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo Galilei View Post
    No, Sanford is a bad choice.
    How about Scott Walker? What would you think of that?

Sanford is a great politician, but would be a poor VP choice. You don't want a VP who is a distraction, and Sanford's colorful past would make for endless fodder for the media. He'd also blur the contrasting Paul's rock solid marriage with whatever it is Bill and Hillary have together. Sanford would be a great Speaker, or Senator, or maybe even a great Presidential candidate in his own right someday, but he'd be a lousy VP choice.

VP should be boring and dependable. Mike Lee type except not the actual Mike Lee because we don't have enough good guys in the Senate to afford to lose two at once to the Executive Branch. Maybe Raul Labrador. In fact, if I were betting that's who I'd bet he picks.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Walker's got criminal allegations lunged his way...BAD idea.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    Walker's got criminal allegations lunged his way...BAD idea.
    Plus he dropped out of college under dubious circumstances. And oh yeah, he's a neocon.

I think Rand should come out and say straight away Ayotte is not fit for VP (for anyone) just to throw a punch. Ayotte is a neocon and is hated because of amnesty. Rand is never going to pick a tall female neocon anyway. I think this is one area where Rand can shed himself from any pandering tag. I can see Rand more than the others picking a 50 or 60 year old capable generic man as his VP. I think Rand would actually be less likely to go with some token pick compared to any of the other candidates.
    I think he should maybe look at Scott Brown if Brown can be less interventionist.

This is "RINO" Scott Brown's immigration advisor Howie Carr.

Sanford has town halls in Spanish. I dont think Rand should go into the south and start courting every open borders person he can find. Amnesty is hated in the south and Jack Kingston, Cantor, AL06 candidates and Haley Barbour's brother can attest to how popular it is.

He should stick to patriots like Walter Jones (NC) and Ted Yoho(northern FL).

Only Tim Scott, Jeff Duncan and Joe Wilson in SC are not bought by the open borders logic.

It is going to get real ugly in 2016 SC against Mick Mulvaney with his amnesty pushing. Fiscally conservative candidates who sold out on immigration are going to get targeted. Trey Gowdy is too much of a loud mouth Teocon to be exposed for his true amnesty agenda. Mulvaney's sin on immigration is going around trying to work out an amnesty deal with Diaz-Balart and Paul Ryan both 100% committed to full amnesty.

https://www.facebook.com/MulvaneySC5...15203755172297
    4) And finally, some clarity on where I stand on immigration reform generally: securing our borders is my first priority on any immigration reform. Furthermore, I will not support amnesty or a "special pathway to citizenship" for those who are here illegally. I am interested in finding a way to fix the immigration system, which I believe is broken.

It’s sad that simply talking about issues somehow constitutes “treason” or “apostasy” in some people’s minds. But I will handle this the way I handle everything else: trying to figure out what is wrong, trying to figure out ways to fix it, and making sure I explain as much as I can to anybody who cares to listen.
    http://www.renewoureconomy.org/home/...ration-reform/

The first ad – released today on DC Taxi TV, on television, and online – showcases the role of immigrant-led innovation in the creation of the products and technologies that Americans depend on for their daily lives. The ad will premiere tonight at the PNAE, FWD.us, and U.S. Chamber of Commerce event, “#iCodeImmigration: Accelerating Immigration Reform,” in Washington DC, featuring Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL-25) and Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC-5)
    Last edited by RandallFan; 07-23-2014 at 10:41 PM.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

So we really don't have a legit VP candidate....wow

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    NO. Two Southern white men would only stoke the Democratic flames.
    Yup. There is a double standard. This would be a decent strategy for Democrats. Heck, at least it was twice recently. For Republicans? Not a good idea! Remember, at least 3/4s of the MSM rates typical Republicans.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

In Walker's defense, WI is 1 of the most statist states and has been for many years. If you support liberty there, you are traditionally the enemy of almost all of the people there. If he wants to stay elected, he has no other option but to take baby steps.
    http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/wisconsin
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    So we really don't have a legit VP candidate....wow
    Pretty much, yes.
    If I had to pick out of the current potential 2016 contenders right now, I would probably go with Walker or Jindal.
    There is plenty of time though. If Rand gets the nomination I think he will make a good choice. I wonder if Rand is even thinking that far ahead at this point
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Doubt he's thinking that far ahead.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Sanford was a great governor. Most of us here like him already. Yeah ik about the affair but meh.
    no. Paul/Noem

Carson would be a decent VP pick but he has no experience. I think people generally like him because he is a likable person. He has a lot of love and care in his heart regardless of his views which might make people overlook his views. My ideal choice would still be Paul/Sanford, but I'm good on Paul/Lepage or Paul/Haley for now

I want Paul/Baldwin, but that won't happen, neither will most of those suggested here. Obviously, there can be only one
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by LogCabinGOProud View Post
    Rand needs to choose a woman or a gay man.
    Gay woman might be a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I want Paul/Baldwin, but that won't happen, neither will most of those suggested here. Obviously, there can be only one
    I will simply be happy if Pat Buchanan is secretary of state.
    Last edited by anaconda; 07-24-2014 at 08:36 PM.

I personally like Sanford, but if Paul is smart; it will be Paul/Carson 2016 .. The two are brilliant men, untainted, salt and pepper ... honest. That would be the dream ticket I would put up.
    Last edited by Dianne; 07-24-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I personally like Sanford, but if Paul is smart; it will be Paul/Carson 2016 .. The two are brilliant men, untainted, salt and pepper ... honest. That would be the dream ticket I would put up.
    Ben Carson is a good person, but I really would not be comfortable with Carson as VP, nor do I think he would be up for the political pressure. He was already an extremely accomplished individual, but his popularity skyrocketed so dramatically among conservatives because of that National Prayer Breakfast at least in part because of a racial undertone in people seeing him as a smart black person who stuck it to Obama or embarrassed him on national TV. This reaction was not exactly his fault, but it is counter-productive and would not help in a presidential campaign.

If anything, Carson would be most suited to an appointed position like Surgeon General or Secretary of HHS.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exactly. The Democrats would paint Carson as a token.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

From this thread, I like Ms. Martinez the best. I could also see the rationale in Rand looking for a more elderly, respected statesman, though, to balance the ticket. Bringing back Coburn as a running mate would thrill me to no end.

As much as I'd love him to pick his dad, it won't happen, and probably shouldn't. sucks, though.

Does anyone know if a nominee has chosen a running mate from across the aisle? Mindblowing to consider, but hey, since we're brainstorming, wonder what would happen if Rand picked a moderate or blue dog Democrat? No one in mind, really, just a crazy thought.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast