Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. James Garner

R.I.P. James Garner

James Garner, ‘Rockford Files’ and ‘Maverick’ Star, Dead at 86

http://www.thewrap.com/james-garner-...ck-dead-at-86/

The actor died at his home in Los Angeles

James Garner, star of the long-running TV shows “The Rockford Files” and “Maverick” has died at 86, according to media reports.

Law enforcement sources told TMZ that an ambulance was dispatched to the actor's home in Los Angeles around 8 p.m. Saturday evening and that he was dead when they arrived. No immediate cause of death was available.

A dashing, dark-haired and dark-eyed figure with a sly sense of humor, Garner played private investigator Jim Rockford from 1974 to 1980. He came back to play the character in several TV movies in the 1990s.

He had already achieved stardom as the gun-slinging Bret Maverick from 1957-1960, and reprised that character in the 1980s. In a movie version of the show in 1994, Garner had a cameo role with Mel Gibson playing the title character.:
    Garner was unusual for being successful in both film and television. He starred in more than fifty films, including “The Great Escape” in 1963, Paddy Chayefsky's “The Americanization of Emily” in 1964, Blake Edwards‘ “Victor Victoria” in 1982 and Murphy's Romance in 1985, for which he received an Academy Award nomination.
    More recently he starred in the cult hit “The Notebook” in 2004 as the older version of Ryan Gosling‘s Duke.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Always liked him. RIP
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Damn.

He was an Oklahoman. He was also good. My favorite of his films that I've seen was Support Your Local Gunfighter. Another good one was Tank. Grand Prix is an amazing movie if you like racing--Garner was an outstanding driver and invented a driving stunt which was named after him (sort of) called The Rockford. Duel at Diablo, also starring Sidney Poitie,r was another amazingly good movie. Best non-spoof western ever, maybe.

His health was a little rough after doing his own stunts for decades, but I'm still sorry to see him go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Damn.

He was an Oklahoman. He was also good. My favorite of his films that I've seen was Support Your Local Gunfighter. Another good one was Tank. Grand Prix is an amazing movie if you like racing--Garner was an outstanding driver and invented a driving stunt which was named after him (sort of) called The Rockford. Duel at Diablo, also starring Sidney Poitie,r was another amazingly good movie. Best non-spoof western ever, maybe.

His health was a little rough after doing his own stunts for decades, but I'm still sorry to see him go.
    I forgot about Tank. It was a entertaining film.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Damn. Support Your Local Sheriff was pure gold. Big loss.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

RIP. One of my very favorites. Rockford Files is one of my favorite shows. And I loved his role in The Great Escape.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Damn.

Tank was an awesome film. And I liked all his other work took. RIP.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    met him at an indycar race @ mid-ohio in 1989...i said what are you doing here? he said " Im just a race fan like you!"
    and he was awesome in GRAND PRIX
    nice guy
    i enjoyed his work
    may GOD comfort his family & friends in this time of loss.
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

RIP James.

ETA:

Last edited by donnay; 07-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    met him at an indycar race @ mid-ohio in 1989...i said what are you doing here? he said " Im just a race fan like you!"
    Yes, he was. But Bob Bondurant said he could not only have been a professional race driver, he could have been a contender.

Vaya con Dios, Maverick. Thanks for the memories.

RIP

Last edited by robert68; 07-20-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Well, damn it...RIP Rockford.

(Got the theme song playing in my head)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Well, damn it...RIP Rockford.

(Got the theme song playing in my head)
    Me too!

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Garner was the lead in one of the best anti-war films ever made (The Americanization of Emily):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGbrdUzHsa8

h/t Charles Burris: http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/james-garner-rip/

And there are several other brief blog entries about Garner over at LRC.

Here's what Will Grigg has to say:

James Garner - and Jim Rockford - RIP
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...-rockford-rip/
    William Norman Grigg (20 July 2014)

Like many men of a certain age, I grew up watching “The Rockford Files,” which chronicled the adventures of James Garner’s witty, inventive, and often over-matched private investigator, Jim Rockford. Well-written and refreshingly cynical, that series also provided some perceptive and prescient critiques of the American police state when it was in its relative infancy.

The season three episode “So Help Me, God” depicted the now-routine abuse of the grand juryonce an independent, citizen-controlled entity used to investigate official corruption — by ambitious prosecutors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPeiOf8-JMg

The following season offered an episode entitled “The House on Willis Avenue” that anticipated the NSA’s computerized Panopticon state, which should have been strangled in the crib:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQGtZNlFtE
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

full disclosure: he was a Dem but I suspect one of the good ones, there was even an attempt to draft him for Governor of California in 1990

This one makes me truly sad.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Yes, this is him. Circa 1960

================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

To add to what Will Grigg wrote, I recall (it's been decades since watching it) that the cops were portrayed as either bumbling Keystone Kops or overzealous authoritarians.

That the private detective in Jim Rockford always saved the day...

Oh, how times have changed.

He will be missed. He was known for his acting, his work ethic and his great attitude, as well as his stunt driving and his stunts. He will actually be missed more by the people who had to work with him than his fans. His bosses, on the other hand, not so much. One tried to get Cannell and others to make The Rockford Files more like Hawaii Five-O, which it was not yet killing in the ratings. Garner said, fine, but you'll have to get someone else to play the lead.

Rockford was incredibly intelligent and relevant television. Couldn't get away with it today.

He was also known for leaving Hollywood with the same wife he had when he showed up...

I'm surprised the flags in Oklahoma aren't at half staff already. In fact, I think some of them are.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Heck, I didn't even know that they built a statue of him in Norman in 2006.

================

What a loss. Support Your Local Sheriff and Rockford files are classic.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

So was Maverick.

He was in so many good movies and all of them were tasteful. You could trust that it would be if he was in it.
    ================

He could be tough but then would give an "awe shucks" and flash that neon grin which would make almost everything he did alright. An everyday good guy you would like to hang out with and share a beer with. Unless you name was Angel.

He was in Space Cowboys too. Old guys trying to show they still had the "Right Stuff".

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.

I had no idea he was that old. RIP.

The James Gandolfini death still bothers me since he was so much younger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast