Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Urgent: your help is needed to keep an innocent mother out of jail

UPDATE: BILLBOARD PROJECT AND FIJA OUTREACH NOW UNDERWAY IN NEW JERSEY

Brief summation:
    The New Jersey Second Amendment Society and the Fully Informed Jury Association are launching a muti-pronged effort to help Shaneen Allen. Read the story below for the details (I've edited in the links they refer to) for a more lengthy explanation, but in short, they're working on a billboard campaign and are trying to get volunteers to pass out FIJA documents in Atlantic County, New Jersey, where Shaneen Allen will be tried in court. That is in addition to attempting to raise funds for Ms. Allen's legal costs, which are undoubtedly going to be astronomical.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/08/no-v...#axzz3BLUNNftX
    New Jersey --(Ammoland.com)- As you are probably already aware, the Atlantic County Prosecutor, James P. McClain, has decided to prosecute Shaneen Allen to the fullest extent of the law.

This is in spite of the fact that, when she entered New Jersey with her legally owned, defensive firearm in her purse, she was unaware that her Pennsylvania carry permit was not valid in NJ.

While it can be argued that she should have known, her alleged crime most definitely does NOT rise to the level of a Second Degree felony, carrying a maximum sentence of *TEN* years in prison. With no prior record and no criminal intent, this young mother of two was a prime candidate for pre-trial intervention (PTI).

Indeed, the Director of PTI thought so. However, the prosecutor made her the “generous” offer of three years in prison. She of course turned this “offer” down and is now facing the maximum sentence of ten plus years.

The NJ2AS is fully engaged in helping this young woman to avoid this overly harsh sentence. We have launched a nationwide campaign to inform our fellow freedom lovers across the country of her dire situation. To this end we have joined forces with a number of national rights activists including Mr. Tom Gresham of Gun Talk Radio and Mr. Alan Gottlieb, the Executive Director of the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF). These organizations are among the most activeof the 2A rights groups working for the right to keep and bear arms in New Jersey. Together with the NJ2AS, they are working to raise awareness among their followers about the mistreatment of Ms. Allen.

We are also working to inform the citizens of Atlantic County of this injustice. To that end, we have initiated the NJ Billboard Campaign. (http://www.nj2as.com/event-1741868)

In addition to appearing on various radio shows and podcasts around the country, and the Billboard Campaign mentioned above, the NJ2AS is also working with the Fully Informed Jury Association (FIJA.org) to distribute pamphlets throughout the Atlantic County area, to inform the residents of their rights and responsibilities as citizens and jurors. We need individuals who are willing and able to hand out pamphlets in the area. Proper training will be provided. If you would like to help this woman avoid a long prison term for a simple mistake, please go to the NJ2AS FULLY INFORMED JURY PROJECT event and sign up. (http://www.nj2as.com/event-1734159) We need as many volunteers as possible both for weekdays and weekends.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE STATUS OF SHANEEN ALLEN AND HOW YOU CAN HELP CLICK HERE! (http://www.nj2as.com/event-1732855)

About:
    New Jersey Second Amendment Society – Our mission is to promote the free exercise of Second Amendment rights within the community and Legislature of New Jersey, to educate the community regarding the enjoyable, safe, and responsible use of firearms, and to engender a sense of camaraderie and fellowship among the members and their families. Visit: www.nj2as.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    She's black. Will Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton stand up for her?

She must not be dark enough for their agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Since the eruption of Ferguson, Missouri, it has become commonplace for people to say that the revelation of the contemporary police state in all its malignant glory has wrought a measure of redemption out of the violent death of Michael Brown. While not minimizing in any way the necessity of learning why Brown was killed, those who are consumed with a laudable zeal for justice should direct at least some of their energy into the effort to prevent the unwarranted imprisonment of Shaneen Allen.
    +111111111111111111

Acesfull

Since the eruption of Ferguson, Missouri, it has become commonplace for people to say that the revelation of the contemporary police state in all its malignant glory has wrought a measure of redemption out of the violent death of Michael Brown. While not minimizing in any way the necessity of learning why Brown was killed, those who are consumed with a laudable zeal for justice should direct at least some of their energy into the effort to prevent the unwarranted imprisonment of Shaneen Allen.
    +111111111111111111

Acesfull

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So people are ready to make donations to Darren Wilson, others are ready to march the streets for Michael Brown....But this responsible, honest, hardworking mother is being crucified and no one seems to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani View Post
    So people are ready to make donations to Darren Wilson, others are ready to march the streets for Michael Brown....But this responsible, honest, hardworking mother is being crucified and no one seems to notice.
    Yeah, that about sums it up.

I've read that the trial is scheduled for October 6. If anyone can afford to donate to the Legal Defense Fund or the billboard/FIJA project, now is the time to do so.

What really makes my skin crawl is the fact that the prosecutor offered her a "deal" of serving THREE AND A HALF YEARS IN PRISON. That's a deal? And now that Ms. Allen has refused, this sadistic, inhuman bastard is pushing for a TEN YEAR sentence if she's convicted.

I don't even know this woman, but I hurt for her and her kids. This is the sort of nightmare one would expect to run into in North Korea. How is this happening here?

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/shan...#axzz3BWih86UG
    Last week, when the judge denied her motion to dismiss charges and refused to overturn the prosecution’s denial of the diversion program, The Philadelphia Daily News reports Allen “cried for a moment in the hallway with her son Naiare and his father” before rejecting a plea deal that would guarantee a 3 ˝ year sentence. It is her hope that the jury uses “common sense” when examining the case.

Contribute to legal defense:

Legal Defense Fund:
    http://gogetfunding.com/project/shan...l-defense-fund

Or "snail mail" c/o her attorney:

Evan F. Nappen Attorney at Law PC
    21 Throckmorton Avenue
    Eatontown, NJ 07724
    C/O Shaneen Allen LDF

Billboard campaign:
    http://www.nj2as.com/event-1741868

FIJA outreach:
    http://www.nj2as.com/event-1734159
    Last edited by KCIndy; 08-28-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: corrected funding link

Hi Folks

Her attorney needs to move this case to Federal Court. How can that happen, have his client skip bail and head back to Pa.
    Ones back in Pa, go to a local court and take out restraining orders against all branches of NJ law enforcement. Why, for fear of her life.
    If the Feds decide to pursue Ms.Allen for jumping her bail in NJ, then her case would be heard in front of a federal judge, and her attorney could argue 2A issues.

The State of NJ, there own Constitution does not even mention the right to keep and bear arms. How in God's name could this woman possibly get a fair trial in a NJ court in a State that does not recognize that a 2A even exist?

In my humble opinion the only chance of freedom for this Mother of two is to have her case moved to the federal court.

My .02

Regards

Acesfull

I don't even know this woman, but I hurt for her and her kids. This is the sort of nightmare one would expect to run into in North Korea. How is this happening here?
    Because we allow it.

Because we allow it.
    Sadly, you're dead-on correct.

Personally, I'm open to just about any idea that might have any real chance at success.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Sadly, you're dead-on correct.

Personally, I'm open to just about any idea that might have any real chance at success.
    It won't be any one idea that will provide the silver bullet solution.

It will take many, on numerous fronts, like the Fully Informed Jury Association, for instance, passive protests and active protests like Bundy Ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by acesfull View Post
    Hi Folks

Her attorney needs to move this case to Federal Court. How can that happen, have his client skip bail and head back to Pa.
    Ones back in Pa, go to a local court and take out restraining orders against all branches of NJ law enforcement. Why, for fear of her life.
    If the Feds decide to pursue Ms.Allen for jumping her bail in NJ, then her case would be heard in front of a federal judge, and her attorney could argue 2A issues.

The State of NJ, there own Constitution does not even mention the right to keep and bear arms. How in God's name could this woman possibly get a fair trial in a NJ court in a State that does not recognize that a 2A even exist?

In my humble opinion the only chance of freedom for this Mother of two is to have her case moved to the federal court.

My .02

Regards

Acesfull

It's an interesting idea, and something that ought to work in a perfect world... but... I would be amazed if any court in PA would issue restraining orders against law enforcement of any other state. It would be like expecting a cop to arrest another cop. It does happen - but it's incredibly rare.

I would be willing to try anything at this point, though. I have a really bad feeling about this case. The prosecutor and judge will prattle out that stupid line, "No matter what your personal feelings are about this case, no matter how tragic the defendant, I REMIND YOU THAT IF THE FACTS SHOW SHE BROKE THE LAW YOU MUST FIND HER GUILTY!"

I've never understood how juries could fall for that stupid line of reasoning. Based on that sort of insane and twisted logic, there shouldn't be a need for a jury at all.

I'm afraid this woman is going to be tried by a jury of sheep, who will shake their heads uneasily and go bleating off to the nearest paddock after rendering a guilty verdict.

Right now, I'm about ready to create a chip-in to send her to a country with no extradition treaty to the U.S. It might be her only chance.

I hear Vanuatu is pretty nice.

This is how they keep the politicals in line.

And if Nappen even thinks about bringing up jury nullification, they'll disbar him and haul him off for "contempt" in a heartbeat.

What I predict what will happen is that, once a jury is seated, and Nappen gets a feel for how many sheeple are on it, he'll convince Allen to cop a plea.

It's an interesting idea, and something that ought to work in a perfect world... but... I would be amazed if any court in PA would issue restraining orders against law enforcement of any other state. It would be like expecting a cop to arrest another cop. It does happen - but it's incredibly rare.

I would be willing to try anything at this point, though. I have a really bad feeling about this case. The prosecutor and judge will prattle out that stupid line, "No matter what your personal feelings are about this case, no matter how tragic the defendant, I REMIND YOU THAT IF THE FACTS SHOW SHE BROKE THE LAW YOU MUST FIND HER GUILTY!"

I've never understood how juries could fall for that stupid line of reasoning. Based on that sort of insane and twisted logic, there shouldn't be a need for a jury at all.

I'm afraid this woman is going to be tried by a jury of sheep, who will shake their heads uneasily and go bleating off to the nearest paddock after rendering a guilty verdict.

Right now, I'm about ready to create a chip-in to send her to a country with no extradition treaty to the U.S. It might be her only chance.

I hear Vanuatu is pretty nice.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-28-2014 at 05:58 PM.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NOTE:

In the most recent post where I listed the Legal Defense Fund link, it turns out the link was bad. I corrected it in the orignal post, but if anyone missed it, the correct link to the fund is:

http://gogetfunding.com/project/shan...l-defense-fund

Thanks to any and all who have (or are planning to) donate. It appears the fund has hit double the original goal - they're over $53,000 right now - but have a hunch the tab is going to come to more than that in the end. So every little bit helps.

While we're at it, here's the link for the Shaneen Allen Billboard Project: http://www.nj2as.com/event-1741868

And the Fully Informed Jury Association's outreach project for Shaneen Allen: http://www.nj2as.com/event-1734159

Thanks!

And if Nappen even thinks about bringing up jury nullification, they'll disbar him and haul him off for "contempt" in a heartbeat.

What I predict what will happen is that, once a jury is seated, and Nappen gets a feel for how many sheeple are on it, he'll convince Allen to cop a plea.
    We need more people with guts. I'd never vote "guilty" in the case of any victimless crime. And that includes a situation in which a cop is killed if he was killed while engaging in an aggressive act.

Do we know what district the case will be held in? A separate fund for "Jury Nullification" saturation? Op-eds, letters to the editors, bill boards, ads, local radio interviews. In other words a media campaign about this case and nullification.

I would like to see protests on this. Like at Prosecutor Jim McClain's house. With pitchforks.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Do we know what district the case will be held in? A separate fund for "Jury Nullification" saturation? Op-eds, letters to the editors, bill boards, ads, local radio interviews. In other words a media campaign about this case and nullification.

Atlantic County, New Jersey Superior Court. Judge Michael Donio presiding. Atlantic County Prosecutor James P. McClain is the sadist who is demanding Ms. Allen spend years in state penitentiary for the "crime" of not knowing her valid carry permit in Pennsylvania was not worth a piece of used toilet paper in New Jersey.

The New Jersey Second Amendment Association is helping spearhead a drive to put up billboards highlighting the unfairness of the case in Atlantic County, where the jury pool will come from: http://www.nj2as.com/event-1741868

The same organization is working with the FIJA to do Jury Nullification handouts in the area: http://www.nj2as.com/event-1734159

This case is heartbreaking:

http://articles.philly.com/2014-08-0...ce-heeding-god

MAYS LANDING, N.J. - The words common sense were mentioned quite a bit during Shaneen Allen's hearing yesterday in Atlantic County Superior Court.

Allen, 27, cried for a moment in the hallway with her son Naiare and his father after a judge denied her motion to dismiss weapons charges filed against her in October and refused to overturn a prosecutor's decision to deny her entry into a first-time-offender diversion program.

So Allen walked back into court, turned down a plea deal that would have given her a 3 1/2-year sentence and decided to go to trial in October, hoping a jury would use some common sense and not send a working mother of two to prison for not knowing New Jersey's gun laws.

"There is no public need to prosecute Shaneen Allen. I'm sure the public is just begging for Shaneen Allen to go to jail," her attorney, Evan Nappen, argued sarcastically to Judge Michael Donio.

Allen, who has no criminal record, was pulled over by New Jersey State Police on Oct. 1 while driving to Atlantic City with the father of her sons. She told the officer that she had a license-to-carry permit in Pennsylvania and had her .380 Bersa Thunder in her pocketbook.

New Jersey does not recognize any other state's license-to-carry permit, and Allen was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of hollow-point bullets. She faces a mandatory minimum of 3 1/2 years in prison.

And now that she has turned down the prosecutor's "generous" plea-deal offer of three and a half years in prison, this young lady will likely be sentenced to TEN YEARS IN THE STATE PENITENTIARY if she is convicted. All for owning a legal, licensed gun in a state next door.

This is horribly and insanely unfair.

'Murika.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ms.Allen needs to stay in PA and jump bail.. Have the case moved to federal court, have her attorney argue that the Constitution tramps all the NJ statutes against the 2a. Any law that is unconstitutional is NULL AND VOID.
    Or simply cry for jury nullification... Desperate times call for desperate measures...

New Jersey legislators like to trample on the 2A... Now a young Mothers life is in jeopardy, may be they will have the stones to do the right thing..

Regards

Acesfull

And now that she has turned down the prosecutor's "generous" plea-deal offer of three and a half years in prison, this young lady will likely be sentenced to TEN YEARS IN THE STATE PENITENTIARY if she is convicted. All for owning a legal, licensed gun in a state next door.

This is horribly and insanely unfair.
    This is ammunition for every candidate that will be running against Christie in 2016. That SOB should have stopped this and he has not.

Christie should be called out on this for every public appearance. Why not even a grassroots effort to contact as many media outlets as possible about how anti-gun Christie is essentially crucifying a hard working single African American woman for trying to protect her family.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Even among the complacent sheep who love to spout "well, the law is the law...." this case seems to have touched a nerve. Pushing for YEARS in prison for an honest, hard working, professional, young single woman with kids - who didn't even know she was breaking a law - is apparently a bridge too far.

I don't know whether to be happy that there's apparently still a microscopic shred of common sense among the populace, or deeply discouraged that it took such an insane and egregious abuse of authority to get a minor bleat out of the sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    This is ammunition for every candidate that will be running against Christie in 2016. That SOB should have stopped this and he has not.

Christie should be called out on this for every public appearance. Why not even a grassroots effort to contact as many media outlets as possible about how anti-gun Christie is essentially crucifying a hard working single African American woman for trying to protect her family.

In every article I've read about this case (and I've read a lot of them) the comments seem to be running 90% + in favor of Ms. Allen. I've even seen a lot of comments that begin with, "I'm in favor of gun control, but...."

The first major politician (Hello, Governor Christie!?!? Are you listening??) who moves in and pushes the prosecutor to drop the case is going to be heralded as a hero, even if he's really just a typical opinion poll following, vote-craving ass kisser. Christie in particular is nuts for not jumping on this, assuming he really does have White House aspirations in 2016. He could use this to try to convince the less educated and naive voter block that he's really a Second Amendment supporter.

And yeah, I would give good money to see Christie bombarded with questions about this case every time he puts in a public appearance. The prosecutor in this case was actually appointed by Chris Christie in the first place. Seems like that would give the gov a certain amount of pull.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/29...n-charge-case/

Christie won't intervene yet in Philly mother's gun charge case
    Published August 29, 2014

SEA BRIGHT, N.J. – Gov. Chris Christie says he's going to let the judicial process play itself out before he'll consider intervening in the case of a Pennsylvania woman who faces jail time for carrying a concealed weapon in New Jersey.

More
    Extremely political answer. In the heat of the moment he implies that he will pardon her if a jury finds her guilty and she is sentenced to prison. Along comes the verdict and she is financially ruined, and he hopes people have forgotten so he can ignore it. Have I ever said how much I hate this man?

Don't look for any help from Christie. The prosecutor, Jim McClain, was APPOINTED BY CHRISTIE.

This issue is not "only" a monumental abuse of state power, it's also a proxy fight for 2016. It's important for all factions of liberty lovers and gun rights activists to stand up for Ms. Allen. It needs to be clear that 1) Christie is a power drunk gun grabbing, fascist and 2) the right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Rand Paul 2016
    For individual rights, 2nd amendment rights, and the rule of law.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    Rand Paul 2016
    For individual rights, 2nd amendment rights, and the rule of law.
    Well, see, that's the problem.

The law says she MUST go to jail.

But in this case, the law is an ass.

Which is why Jury Nullification is such an important concept, it allows a jury to stop the state cold, even when the law is on the state's side.

I am Shaneen Allen

but only on the weekends and after had several beers, and various other drugs, and only if I feel like being a naughty girl....

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/29...n-charge-case/

Extremely political answer. In the heat of the moment he implies that he will pardon her if a jury finds her guilty and she is sentenced to prison. Along comes the verdict and she is financially ruined, and he hopes people have forgotten so he can ignore it. Have I ever said how much I hate this man?
    What the hell is he and is campaign thinking. This issue and his response could effectively end any chance he has for 2016. I suppose if they are this incompetent he is not really a threat anyway.

Although the subject matter is quite different this is Christie's Willie Horton and he Dukakis.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by acesfull View Post
    Or simply cry for jury nullification... Desperate times call for desperate measures...

....in this case, the law is an ass.

Which is why Jury Nullification is such an important concept, it allows a jury to stop the state cold, even when the law is on the state's side.

As mentioned earlier, the New Jersey Second Amendment Society together with the Fully Informed Jury Association is asking for volunteers to pass out pamphlets regarding jury rights and responsibilities:

http://www.nj2as.com/event-1734159

I need the help of all our Atlantic County members and supporters and anyone willing to help distribute pamphlets in the area of the Atlantic County Criminal Court Complex. The NJ2AS will be holding a series of meetings (3 or 4) about Juror Rights within Atlantic County. You will only need to attend one of these meetings. These meetings will most likely take no more than 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. We will be working with the FULLY INFORMED JURY ASSOCIATION (FIJA.org), a 501(c)3 educational organization dedicated to Jury Rights.

In many cases involving Second Amendment protected rights, the jurors are misinformed about their right to deliberate using their reason and conscience. It is time that we did our job to help inform jurors of their rights and responsibilities.

FIJA has prepared informative pamphlets that answer questions that jurors may have about their rights under the law, including, but not limited to, jury nullification (for more information go to www.fija.org. They have trained multitudes of civic minded people in how to properly disseminate these materials without running afoul of the law. We will work with them to train interested individuals to distribute these pamphlets in the area of the Atlantic County Criminal Court Complex.

If you are interested in performing both a public service and helping our Society. Please register for this project. Dates and places for the training are still to be determined. I hope to resolve this ASAP. If you know of a venue we can use, please contact me at president@nj2as.com.

Thank you

Frank Jack Fiamingo
    President - NJ2AS

If anyone is close to the Atlantic City area and is interested in participating in this effort, let me know. I will contribute some money for gas.

Last edited by KCIndy; 08-29-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast