Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Choose wisely.

I sure hope this choice doesn't involve any quantum mechanics.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    And Christianity doesn't have enough to do, or correspond with Jesus.

God's universe, God's game, God's rules. Play or not.
    Christianity, traditionally, is a religion about Jesus. Explain what you mean here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

More, often just results in opening additional cans of worms and causing more trouble.

K.I.S.S.!

It's an enormously complex issue, and that's about as simple as it gets, comrade. Fortunately, it is simple enough that even a mentally retarded person could become a clergyman if he is able to function well enough to perform his required duties. Certainly can't say that of many Reformed and more modern denominations who study large tomes to learn dizzying and fancy-sounding feats of logic (and contortions of it).

ETA: Here are a few books for you to continue your studies:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Orthodox-C...tag=answe03-20
    http://www.amazon.com/Church-History...church+history
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-28-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Christianity, traditionally, is a religion about Jesus. Explain what you mean here.
    Traditionally, way, way way, too much Roman Empire associated garbage and baggage, and not nearly enough teachings of Jesus emphasis. Does that help?

It's an enormously complex issue, and that's about as simple as it gets, comrade. Fortunately, it is simple enough that even a mentally retarded person could become a clergyman if he is able to function well enough to perform his required duties. Certainly can't say that of many Reformed and more modern denominations who study large tomes to learn dizzying and fancy-sounding feats of logic (and contortions of it).

ETA: Here are a few books for you to continue your studies:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Orthodox-C...tag=answe03-20
    http://www.amazon.com/Church-History...church+history
    Do those mentally retarded clergy duties include choir boy rape and unwed teen mother enslavement and abuse? Some clergy folks and their superiors aparently just aren't afraid enough of hell. Or perchance they know something that we don't, that they just don't talk much about.

Here's one for you. http://www.katinkahesselink.net/othe...tts-bible.html Mine is probably much shorter ......... and simpler.

Thanks for the proposed additions to my reading list. I'm pretty well already booked up for the forseeable future.

"Complexity is the essence of the con and the hustle."
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-28-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Traditionally, way, way way, too much Roman Empire associated garbage and baggage, and not nearly enough teachings of Jesus emphasis. Does that help?
    And Christianity doesn't have enough to do, or correspond with Jesus.

God's universe, God's game, God's rules. Play or not.
    There's Biblical Christianity, and then there's the Americanized state-worshipping zionist "Christianity."

You rightly judge the latter but it has nothing to do with the former.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    There's Biblical Christianity, and then there's the Americanized state-worshipping zionist "Christianity."

You rightly judge the latter but it has nothing to do with the former.
    Does simply ignoring Christian church history from 450 AD to 1900 make it easier to accept and excuse?

Does simply ignoring Christian church history from 450 AD to 1900 make it easier to accept and excuse?
    Who says I'm excusing it? I think the whore of Babylon controlled most of the visible church from Constantine until Luther. And, I agree with Samuel Adams that the early Reformers foolishly replaced the Pope with the Civil Magistrate in many respects. I believe the Bible teaches self-government according to Biblical principles, and that the Roman Empire (and all other States) are evil.

Hey, atheism has a violent history to. Tell you what, you can pin me with the Geneva Council's murder of Servetus and the 19 people that were killed in the Salem Witch Trials once you take responsibility for the 50 million that the atheist dictators Stalin and Mao killed. OK?

Who says I'm excusing it? I think the whore of Babylon controlled most of the visible church from Constantine until Luther. And, I agree with Samuel Adams that the early Reformers foolishly replaced the Pope with the Civil Magistrate in many respects. I believe the Bible teaches self-government according to Biblical principles, and that the Roman Empire (and all other States) are evil.

Hey, atheism has a violent history to. Tell you what, you can pin me with the Geneva Council's murder of Servetus and the 19 people that were killed in the Salem Witch Trials once you take responsibility for the 50 million that the atheist dictators Stalin and Mao killed. OK?
    Did you see me advocating or defending atheism?

Since Satan controls the human governments of the entire world let's just blame the Stalin and Mao 50 million victims on Satan.

Do those mentally retarded clergy duties include choir boy rape and unwed teen mother enslavement and abuse? Some clergy folks and their superiors aparently just aren't afraid enough of hell. Or perchance they know something that we don't, that they just don't talk much about.

Here's one for you. http://www.katinkahesselink.net/othe...tts-bible.html Mine is probably much shorter ......... and simpler.

Thanks for the proposed additions to my reading list. I'm pretty well already booked up for the forseeable future.

"Complexity is the essence of the con and the hustle."
    Perhaps that is why you chose to link me to a complex diatribe that demonstrates terribly poor understanding of religion generally and the Christian Church especially (as well as remarkably poor essay craft more like that of a maleducated college freshman than a mature, thoughtful person)? The author also seems to be trying to fit in every logical fallacy into one essay. I lol'ed.
    Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!
    ~Leonardo da Vinci
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-28-2014 at 11:20 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Simple. God chooses YOU not YOU who chooses He. Some vessels are created for destruction and many are created for righteousness. A few will have a day of salvation during a time appointed. Really I could care less why you don't believe in a Creator. Behind me.

Perhaps that is why you chose to link me to a complex diatribe that demonstrates terribly poor understanding of religion generally and the Christian Church especially (as well as remarkably poor essay craft more like that of a maleducated college freshman than a mature, thoughtful person)? The author also seems to be trying to fit in every logical fallacy into one essay. I lol'ed.
    Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!

~Leonardo da Vinci
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts

Alan Watts, who died in 1974, held both a master's degree in theology and a doctorate of divinity, and was best known as an interpreter of Zen Buddhism in particular, and of Indian and Chinese philosophy in general. He was the author of many books on the philosophy and psychology of religion, which include
    The Way of Zen, The Supreme Identity, The Joyous Cosmology,Beyond Theology, Nature, Man and Woman*, Cloud-Hidden, Whereabouts Unknown* and In My Own Way: An Autobiography.

http://www.leary.ru/download/watts/B...0You%20Are.pdf

You really do need to get out more.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-28-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
    Simple. God chooses YOU not YOU who chooses He. Some vessels are created for destruction and many are created for righteousness. A few will have a day of salvation during a time appointed. Really I could care less why you don't believe in a Creator. Behind me.
    But aren't we all God's beloved children? I guess that I just must be confused.

All those degrees and book-leranin-and he still writes so badly? You really do need to read better writers.

But aren't we all God's beloved children? I guess that I just must be confused.
    Ah, he's just reciting some variation of Calvinist doctrine. It's full of contradictions and oddities, so don't let its confusing nature bother you too much.

All those degrees and book-leranin-and he still writes so badly? You really do need to read better writers.
    I do, but I also really like Alan, about ten of his books worth. One of my favorites is the PDF link I sent you. You're welcome!

To quote a associated +rep message from last night after your over top Watt's over-reaction, "When all else fails .... ad hominem."

If your reaction to the Watts' article is an accurate reflection of your reading comprehension, then it brings into serious question your reading comprehension of other materials.

It also reminds me of "when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar, double down (bluff)" . LOL!

Are you planning to respond to our last exchange on thread page #5?

Thanks!

Later.

I guess the mods are manifesting thread fatigue. How about YOU just let it run its' natural course WITHOUT YOUR UNWELCOME MEDDLING?

I guess the mods are manifesting thread fatigue. How about YOU just let it run its' natural course WITHOUT YOUR UNWELCOME MEDDLING?
    Would you mind if I used this whenever you posted in a thread which I started?
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Would you mind if I used this whenever you posted in a thread which I started?
    Sure, the very next time that I'm a busy body moderator, just mucking around creating difficulties, you may feel free to use a copy of my post. I really don't think any of my posts on your threads have damaged, destroyed or prevented anyone one else from posting on them.

Do you happen to have any extraordinary evidence to the contrary?

Do you happen to have any extraordinary evidence to the contrary?
    I haven't the time nor the desire frankly to go looking when I already know you will come up with 15 vain excuses and 12 random quotes to poopoo it away. I'll just stick with copying and posting what you wrote above whenever I feel like your meddling is unwelcomed.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    I haven't the time nor the desire frankly to go looking when I already know you will come up with 15 vain excuses and 12 random quotes to poopoo it away. I'll just stick with copying and posting what you wrote above whenever I feel like your meddling is unwelcomed.
    Then why even bother asking for permission?

Yeah, just as I thought, all blow and no go.

"Talk's cheap, Bucko. Put up or shut up.", thus sayeth the Lord.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-29-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Then why even bother asking for permission?

Yeah, just as I thought, all blow and no go.

"Talk's cheap, Bucko. Put up or shut up.", thus sayeth the Lord.
    Bull$#@! and you know it. He just got sick of your trolling, as I did.

I agree, you are. Confusion can be what I call the state of learning. When one doesn't know something, find confusion, then from there find truth and order.

Bull$#@! and you know it. He just got sick of your trolling, as I did.
    Do you kiss your Mama with that mouth?

If you guys don't like my threads then you can feel free to stay off of them. Your continual phony duck and dodge obfuscations and arrogant bogus holier than thou attitudes of misguided intellectual superiority will certainly not be missed.

A careful review of THIS thread will reveal who the real trolls are.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-31-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy View Post
    I agree, you are. Confusion can be what I call the state of learning. When one doesn't know something, find confusion, then from there find truth and order.
    "We're all ignorant, just about different things."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

More, often just results in opening additional cans of worms and causing more trouble.

K.I.S.S.!

One doesn’t need to read much about a group’s beliefs and history to know how much or little regard for individual liberty it has.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you see me advocating or defending atheism?
    No, but the absurdity of your argument is demonstrated by that. I'm not responsible for what any Christian decides to do except for me, and possibly in some sense the people who I personally come into contact with. I'm certainly not responsible for anything anyone decided to do before I was born.

You are using wicked men who used Christianity as an excuse for their evil actions in order to excuse your own unbelief. That's not going to fly with God.

Since Satan controls the human governments of the entire world let's just blame the Stalin and Mao 50 million victims on Satan.
    Sure. Satan certainly controls the human governments of the world. But in order for such a statement to be true, Satan has to exist, doesn't he?

I'm sure you can't back up that 50 million number. Numbers like that are just repeated endlessly by people with certain biases and get bigger and bigger over time. The many millions that died in China did so because of a bad central planning calculation in the worlds most populated country, not deliberate killing. The Russian Christian Church had been a part of the Russian state for a thousand years and helped build it into a feudal empire. What the Bolsheviks did was ruthless, however many were killed, but being a major political player at the highest levels and taking sides in a civil war, isn't simply minding your own business practicing your religion.
    Last edited by robert68; 08-01-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robert68 View Post
    I'm sure you can't back up that 50 million number. Numbers like that are just repeated endlessly and get bigger and bigger over time. The many millions that died in China did so because of a bad central planning calculation, not deliberate killing. The Russian Christian Church was a part of the Russian state, as it help build that feudal empire over a thousand years. What Stalin did was ruthless, however many were killed, but being a part of the state and having privilege status isn't simply minding your own business practicing your religion.
    The October Revolution dissolved the State-Church ties. (In an extremely violent and murderous way, at that) Tying Soviet Communism and its attrocities to the Russian Church is incredibly ignorant and dishonest. The Soviets were militant atheists and did their best to crush religion. Even the non-Christian religions in the far East like Buddhism in Mongolia.

During the Czarist age, Nicholas I emancipated the serfs that had been held for generations. (yes, even before widespread enlightenment in the West)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-31-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Do you kiss your Mama with that mouth?

If you guys don't like my threads then you can feel free to stay off of them. Your continual phony duck and dodge obfuscations and arrogant bogus holier than thou attitudes of misguided intellectual superiority will certainly not be missed.

A careful review of THIS thread will reveal who the real trolls are.

I still prefer fire11's trolling to yours, even though your ridiculous contortions of logic and history give me giggles.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast