Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCain: Rand Paul part of ‘Fortress America’ wing of GOP

McCain: Rand Paul part of ‘Fortress America’ wing of GOP

McCain: Paul a part of ‘Fortress America’ wing

By Martin Matishak - 07/13/14 10:03 AM EDT

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Sunday waded into a brewing foreign policy debate inside the Republican Party, saying Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) represents a more isolationist outlook.

Paul is “part of a wing of the party that has been there prior to World War I, that is a withdrawal to ‘Fortress America,’” McCain said on CNN’s "State of the Union."

McCain, who serves on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee with Paul, acknowledged the freshman senator has a “far different view than mine of the world.”

But, McCain said, he understood Paul’s appeal to Americans “weary of involvement” after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"So I'm not particularly interested in getting between Senator Paul and Governor Perry, but I do believe that the things we're seeing in the world today, in greater turmoil than at any time in my lifetime, is a direct result of an absence of American leadership," McCain said. "And we are paying a very, very heavy price now, and we will in the future, until we decide to understand that America is an essential role in maintaining peace and stability throughout the world, and that does not mean sending combat troops everywhere."
    read more:
    http://thehill.com/policy/defense/21...ca-wing-of-gop
    Last edited by jct74; 07-14-2014 at 03:37 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The more failed candidates rejected by American voters supporting intervention, the better for Rand

We need a leader that that will lead us to minding our own business and cleaning up our own side of the street.

Quote Originally Posted by John S. McCain III
    '...but I do believe that the things we're seeing in the world today, in greater turmoil than at any time in my lifetime, is a direct result of an absence of American leadership," McCain said. "And we are paying a very, very heavy price now, and we will in the future, until we decide to understand that America is an essential role in maintaining peace and stability throughout the world, and that does not mean sending combat troops everywhere."
    Laughable. If the world's 'absence of American leadership' means not understanding that 'maintaining peace and stability thoughout the world... does not mean sending combat troops everywhere' then why does John S. McCain personally go on television every Sunday morning telling us how imperative it is that we send combat troops everywhere.

When a man feels compelled to define himself as the polar opposite of what everyone can plainly see he really is, something is wrong with that man.

Meanwhile, let us temper this unpleasant thread with some words of actual wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'You can't get nothing without trying, and if no effort is made toward peace, why, we can't expect any.'--Will Rogers
    'When the big nations quit meddling then the world will have peace.'--Will Rogers
    "People talk peace, but men give their life's work to war. It won't stop 'til there is as much brains and scientific study put to aid peace as there is to promote war."--Will Rogers 1929
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Hold one of these:

Build one of these:

http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    We need a leader that that will lead us to minding our own business and cleaning up our own side of the street.
    Hear, hear
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Hold one of these:

Build one of these:

Major +rep. But, it won't let me give you another one yet.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Perry and McCain. Did they both get an order to attack this week?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    McCain, who serves on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee with Paul, acknowledged the freshman senator has a “far different view than mine of the world.”
    Good! I already knew that, and it only works to elevate my opinion of Rand.

The funny thing to me is that I still consider the foreign policy that Rand publicly advocates to be pretty moderate and watered down. He hasn't even advocated closing down all the foreign bases and bringing our troops home, or anything like that. It's just ridiculous that you can't even have a moderate, nuanced foreign policy without being attacked as being an "isolationist" or whatever else.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    The funny thing to me is that I still consider the foreign policy that Rand publicly advocates to be pretty moderate and watered down. He hasn't even advocated closing down all the foreign bases and bringing our troops home, or anything like that. It's just ridiculous that you can't even have a moderate, nuanced foreign policy without being attacked as being an "isolationist" or whatever else.
    McCain and Graham are just like any other severely spoiled brat you ever saw. If they want a bicycle, they start out by demanding a pony.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The wing of the party there before WW1?

Lol

Agreed. He seems to currently wish to reign in the State Dept. from writing checks that the War Dept. will have to back. I've heard of no proposal that scales back overseas commitments. It more like just keeping them in their barracks/ports.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

And it's making the neocon warmongers look ridiculous. Rand's proposal is moderate and far more in line with mainstream America than what scum like McCain or Graham are proposing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    This certainly appears to be a well coordinated effort.

until we decide to understand that America is an essential role in maintaining peace and stability throughout the world,
    Is this guy for real?! When, exactly, does he think we did that?!

Peace? You mean through killing bunches of brown people and making their families hate us?
    Stability? You mean like the stability we've seen since killing those bunches of brown people?

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What better than to build an obvious coalition of obsolete, moss-covered puppets who also happen to be complete dufuses? With Rand appearing as the clear alternative? This is great.

Last edited by anaconda; 07-13-2014 at 07:48 PM.

And McCain part of Alzheimer's testing ... I can't even imagine that lunatic was once nominated by the Republican Party... Can I check out of the GOP now???? Only entered to vote for Paul in the primary ... McCain took down more American aircraft then Pearl Harbor (exaggeration), but one was too many .. And he's an American hero? American zero more like it.

Couple intriguing points: McSame used the term "Fortress America" when describing Paul's position, rather than calling him "weak" or "timid" or something. "Fortress" sounds powerful to me. And McSame said that the U.S. maintaining peace and stability "does not mean sending combat troops everywhere." Which seems like a bit of a walk back toward the more populist voter position.

Last edited by anaconda; 07-13-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    McCain took down more American aircraft then Pearl Harbor (exaggeration), but one was too many .. And he's an American hero? American zero more like it.
    If back in WWII we had more pilots in the fine future tradition of John McCain, we might all be speaking German now.
    Last edited by anaconda; 07-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Another up-shot of all of this is that the neocons are forced to use Rand's name. Obviously an attempt to discredit, it also risks raising his profile. With Ron, they would never use his name. I think this approach will backfire.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

'Fortress America' sounds good to me.

John McCain - "So I'm not particularly interested in getting between Senator Paul and Governor Perry, but I do believe that the things we're seeing in the world today, in greater turmoil than at any time in my lifetime, is a direct result of an absence of American leadership," McCain said. "And we are paying a very, very heavy price now, and we will in the future, until we decide to understand that America is an essential role in maintaining peace and stability throughout the world, and that does not mean sending combat troops everywhere."

That has got to be the single dumbest thing I have ever heard any major politician say. We have got to stop letting idiots like this set the agenda. Hey John McCain. How are those terrorists that you were hanging out with in Syria who have now re-destabilized Iraq working out for you?

Last edited by jmdrake; 07-14-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

McFake and his neocon ilk in both parties are masters of Newspeak. They have completely embraced the Orwellian propaganda model. They are the slavery caucus and they are calling themselves 'Freedom.' They are the war caucus and they are calling themselves 'Peace.' They are the propaganda caucus, and they are calling themselves 'Truth.'

The war, blood, and control Party (neocon progressives from either team) has everyone buying fake peace, fake liberty, and fake news. These people so equipped with fakery, then proceed to vote. These at the top of that chain, are enemies of America at the higher order. Along with the 'powers of the air' in what I liken to the 'second heaven' (not the physical or the spiritual 'second heaven' but the ideological/socio-political). If anybody has demons at their elbows it is John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Joe Lieberman and the rest of the neocon progressive caucus.

It is now becoming overt. The latest is the Neocons want to re-brand as "Freedom Republicans." Tyranny is Security, and Security is Theater. War is Peace. It's all out in the open now. There is a short window open where pointing it out will erode the evil foundation.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I say America First:

Michael F. Scheuer, Adjunct Professor of Security Studies, Georgetown University

Quite simply, there is no moral dimension to our Afghan War other than to protect the United States and the American people. That moral obligation was ignored by Bush and is detested by Obama, being Harvard educated and the good student of Rev. Wright, Saul Alinsky, and Bill Ayers. Those who believe we should, in Afghanistan, be creating a democracy, rebuilding the economy, providing women's rights, and protecting human rights are, I am sure, good people in their own way and minds. But they are, to a monstrous extent, selfish, unrealistic, and patently unconcerned with America's security. If they really want to ensure that all of the things just listed come to pass, they ought to join an NGO, become a religious missionary, or join the Afghan army. Such people are at all times entitled to waste their lives in any manner they choose. They are not ever, however, entitled to spend the lives of America's soldier-children in anything other than America's defense. No U.S. soldier or Marine should ever be called on to be maimed or killed to make sure Mrs. Muhammad can vote or little Ibrahim can go to a secular school; they should be called on to make such sacrifices only in an effort to decisively defeat America's enemies on the battlefield or to defend its borders. In other words, if Mrs. Clinton wants to install women's rights in Afghanistan; and if Senator McCain wants to become involved in the civil war in Darfur; and if most members of the Congress want to do everything possible to defend Israel, let them all resign their official positions and go and take up their "sacred" causes as private citizens following their personal beliefs. They would all be likely to get their butts shot off, and America would be no poorer for their loss. Indeed, all Americans would be better off because we would stop intervening in other peoples' wars and we would preserve the lives of our soldier-children for the few occasions where the application of overwhelming military power is necessary to defend America. Our moral obligation in Afghanistan is framed solely by the requirement laid down by the Founders: America first.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

conspiracy theory/

McCain is secretly WORKING WITH Rand in order to help distinguish Rand's brand from the horribly failed neocon foreign and economic policy that got us into this mess! McCain is saying Rand is DIFFERENT and not involved in the things that got us into this mess in the first place.

It's a brilliant strategy to let Obama-Hillary go down with the neocon ship, and everybody will have heard - incessantly - for two years about how Rand Paul's foreign policy is different.

/conspiracy theory

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    here is his comments on CNN yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTtaLLRti0
    Uh oh...McCain actually went out of his way to be cordial to Rand.

I'm starting to think there is a split between the Republican establishment with half knowing Rand is the best shot at winning the white house and the other half being anyone-but-Rand hawks. But I had no idea McCain would be part of the former...

I dunno. I didn't hear 'support,' I heard 'fear.'
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I dunno. I didn't hear 'support,' I heard 'fear.'
    I'm speaking in comparative terms, of course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast