Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA-Drought Shaming Pitting Neighbors Against Neighbors On Social Media

Exclamation CA-Drought Shaming Pitting Neighbors Against Neighbors On Social Media

Drought Shaming Pitting Neighbors Against Neighbors On Social Media

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/...-social-media/

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Neighbors are tattling on neighbors for wasting water and some are taking their drought shaming to social media.

If you’ve ever had the feeling you’re being watched while you water your lawn, there’s a good chance you are during this historic drought.

In Sacramento, water wasters can face fines, and the enforcer may be someone who lives right next door.

Terrance Davis with the city department of utilities says he’s seeing a trend of drought shaming.

“Our water use complaint calls have gone up exponentially from the last 2 years,” he said.

Karen Halbo lives in River Park. She says it’s not about whose lawn is greener anymore, it’s about whose lawn is browner.

“Frankly when your lawn looks as bad as mine does you sort of want to encourage others to stop watering concrete,” she said.

Down the street, Pam Ferko admits the pressure from her neighbors not to waste sometimes has her sneaking around.

“I think my husband has been guilty of coming out late at night and doing a little secretive watering underneath the trees,” she said.

Even the Capitol lawn is drought shaming by example, with signs reading “If we can go brown, so can you.”

Some may find the drought shaming vindictive or sneaky, but the city says that competition is motivation, and it’s working to reduce water waste.

“Obviously we can’t see everything, can’t be everywhere so having people in the community helping us out—residents, neighbors—reporting those types of things is a great tool for us too,” Davis said.

The city says from January to June, it’s received more than 8,000 calls to its water-use complaint line. Just last month, the city saw a 17 percent cut in water use.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't forget that these tattletale scum are your enemy, too. Just like the enforcers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

The people in Sacramento, with a huge river running through it, tattle on each other while a good portion of that water flows to LA so they can wash down their driveways.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Adds a whole new meaning to "Brown Shirts".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

A guy I was just talking to in Sacramento said your on a smart meter and if you use more than you allotment you get fined and if you do it twice they shut off you water.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

You feeling okay, AF?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Briefkasten Der Stürmer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_St%...mer#Letter_box

Wir ziehen die Aufmerksamkeit der Behörden, ihn,
    und warnen unserer Mitbürger.

We draw the attention of the authorities to him,
    and warn our fellow citizens.
    http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/ds13.htm
    Last edited by presence; 07-13-2014 at 10:38 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    You feeling okay, AF?
    he's thirsty....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The people in Sacramento, with a huge river running through it, tattle on each other while a good portion of that water flows to LA so they can wash down their driveways.
    It's that way with a lot of things and people don't think it through. If the trucks stop rolling to the stores, it will be the fault of whoever they are told. But it's not for lack of anything material/physical.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Neighbors
    Right there is the problem in a nutshell.

double posting doesn't make it better...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    double posting doesn't make it better...
    At least its a good buffer between you and the next poster.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    At least its a good buffer between you and the next poster.
    I don't do it on purpose...

This durn 'puter outwits me way too often...

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    You feeling okay, AF?
    No, I am not, not at all...

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    A guy I was just talking to in Sacramento said your on a smart meter and if you use more than you allotment you get fined and if you do it twice they shut off you water.
    Ah joy...and people actually raise their eyebrows and wonder why I'm an unrepentant Luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ah joy...and people actually raise their eyebrows and wonder why I'm an unrepentant Luddite.
    But Stossell says that you are really "rich" because you have a smart meter, and the richest people in the history of the world never had them (beltway libertarian talking point).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    But Stossell says that you are really "rich" because you have a smart meter, and the richest people in the history of the world never had them (beltway libertarian talking point).
    That's the same Stossel that's "OK" with government surveillance because his life is so mundane nobody would have any interest in it...until he's using too much water.

Now, what happens when that water is shut off and duly reported to city "code enforcement"?

Condemnation of the property and seizure by the city.

Now you know who really owns your property and you.

And this lesson will be learned and re-learned every day as more "smart" systems come online to keep a hairy eyeball on you and enforce "compliance".

ETA - Rich my ass...a rich society would not have half the households in it on some sort of government dole.

ETA - Rich my ass...a rich society would not have half the households in it on some sort of government dole.
    Bread and circuses (and 24x7 smart devices). Mundanes have never had it so good!

Karen Halbo lives in River Park. She says it’s not about whose lawn is greener anymore, it’s about whose lawn is browner.

“Frankly when your lawn looks as bad as mine does you sort of want to encourage others to stop watering concrete,” she said.

Down the street, Pam Ferko admits the pressure from her neighbors not to waste sometimes has her sneaking around.

“I think my husband has been guilty of coming out late at night and doing a little secretive watering underneath the trees,” she said.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Which of the two wells should I use today. Decisions , decisions.

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Drought in the southwestern U.S. will deplete the vast Lake Mead this week to levels not seen since Hoover Dam was completed and the reservoir on the Colorado River was filled in the 1930s, federal water managers said Tuesday.

The projected lake level of about 1,080 feet above sea level will be below the level of about 1,082 feet recorded in November 2010 and the 1,083-foot mark measured in April 1956 during another sustained drought.

But U.S. Bureau of Reclamation regional chief Terry Fulp said water obligations will be met at least through next year without a key shortage declaration. The result will be full deliveries to cities, states, farms and Indian tribes in an area that's home to some 40 million people and the cities of Las Vegas, Phoenix and Los Angeles.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/weathe...ught/12486313/

Government builds dam which in turn forms lake. This allows for the expansion of population in desert region previously incapable of sustaining a larger population than what already existed. Water level drops in the government made lake. People exclaim, "See, we need the government to keeps us from using to much water."

Government creates problem. Solution? More government.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Oh, so a few elite can artificially create droughts, but 100+ years of industrialization is incapable of changing climate.

And then there is the opposite end of the spectrum where people get in trouble for saving water and their lawn turns brown.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    And then there is the opposite end of the spectrum where people get in trouble for saving water and their lawn turns brown.
    Different government and law, conflicting agendas. So it's not that they were fined for saving water, they were fined for not keeping their lawn green, a retarded city ordinance.

They just need to paint their grass. That's probably illegal too though.
    http://www.houselogic.com/home-advic...grass-green/#.

Americans are idiots... Governments are liars, thieves, and destroyers

Government cities/towns don't have any problems with water streets and roadways that I drive through constantly. Plus, there's 187 quintillion gallons of water available along a 850 mile California coastline. Use that water, oh yeah, then the Climate Clowns can't cry about rising sea levels either. Same goes for the morons in Las Vegas that built a multimillion population with skyscrapers in the middle of the frigin desert. Here's some bullets, look at the first one... You're a $#@!ing criminal for using water, WTF is the matter with these Marxifornia Morons? The most abundant resource on planet earth.

California Adopts $500 Criminal Penalty For Water Waste

Price of Water 2014: Up 6 Percent in 30 Major U.S. Cities; 33 Percent Rise Since 2010

$24,000 water bill from California American Water Company

CNN: Skyrocketing water bills mystify, anger residents

http://pureenergies.com/us/blog/info...-on-utilities/
    Shock Value: The Rising Cost of Utilities in America - Pure Energies USA
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Wait until it's against the law NOT to report your neighbor.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

I just missed a story the other day about someone getting arrested for water violations.

Looking for it now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast