Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Share your favorite old technology and explain why it was and is a good invention

Some great choices. I will add the vacuum tube because it is extremely clever, I can actually understand how it works, it resists damage from electromagnetic pulse, it requires high voltage and gets super hot, it sounds good in audio equipment, you can see its cool innards, and it glows in the dark like a tiny campfire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tube.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	2788
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mullard_el84_vacuum_tube.jpg  
    Last edited by Acala; 07-17-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post

Wood planer

Cause it starts with a tree and turns the curls into garbage and turns the flat parts into a boat that people will pay to see 500 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Great thread.

HP 15-C Calculator. They were made from 1982 - 89 with a rich engineering feature set, including the use of complex numbers and matrix math. They also used the Reverse Polish notation input processing method, which at first will drive you nuts but once you get it, it's a thing of beauty. As a simple example, with RPN, to add 4 + 3 you press "4", "Enter", "3", "+". The 15C also has a very nice form factor, big enough to use easy but very compact as well. Oh, and the batteries last forever.

The 15C was so popular that there was a campaign to have it brought back, which HP did, 20 years later. Originals are going on ebay for up to $300, well over the original price.

Some links I just dug up:
    http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp15.htm
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi...data_sheet.pdf
    http://hp15c.org/
    http://www.ebay.com/ctg/HP-15C-Scien...ator-/92845674
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

awesome, I am going to be looking for a good calculator on the market soon !

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    The Google G1.
    The very first Android phone, ever.
    I was thinking about adding one of the early Android phones here myself. I actually passed on the G1 but got the second every Android, this was long, long before most anyone knew what Android was. What was great about these old phones is that they were really optimized for user experience- today's Androids are more optimized for revenue generation, with a healthly dose of privacy loss to go with it. A new Androids can blast you with marketing and make you agree to a dozen non-privacy policies. It's sad.... but I guess that's why more root them.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    awesome, I am going to be looking for a good calculator on the market soon !
    You can't go wrong with a 15C. Really, think about how crazy this is- a calculator that is over 30 years old (in design) selling at all, much less for such a premium.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Gutenberg and other groundbreaking 1st millenium presses-the interenetz of their day: The Chinese invented movable type first, but that tends to be a footnote in history books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IY5awId.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	2821

Bells.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Our basement freezer is well over 50 years old. Pretty much pushing 60. Also had an Oster blender from when I was little. The motor died in 2006. The thing was at least 33 years old. Probably 35 or 36.

Well, maybe not inventions in the sense of this thread. Okay, I like the wheel because it was good material for Johnny Hart's comic strip.

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 07-27-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Our basement freezer is well over 50 years old. Pretty much pushing 60. Also had an Oster blender from when I was little. The motor died in 2006. The thing was at least 33 years old. Probably 35 or 36.

Well, maybe not inventions in the sense of this thread. Okay, I like the wheel because it was good material for Johnny Hart's comic strip.

I loved "B.C." when I was a youngster.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Marine Chronometer
    http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Lo.../dp/B00450V1G8
    Good book, get the illustrated version, you won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Typewriter.

NSA proof.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Earth hating, smuggling, black market terrorist funding criminal!
    Those are the best types of criminals! /terrorist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12