Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your favorite old technology and explain why it was and is a good invention

Share your favorite old technology and explain why it was and is a good invention

I like going to thrift stores and looking at old technology, a lot of it I grew up with but was too young to take it apart and think about all the neat little moving parts . I collect records and cassette tapes for the purpose of rediscovering old music on the medium it was originally recorded, analog and tangible. What kind of technology do you like from the 20th century? Post a picture and share why and what memories you have of it .

I remember my first cd player in 1991 , I was 6 years old and I was obsessed with classical music cds since my dad had a record club membership and bought lots of records and cds.I no longer had to rewind or fast forward to my favorite songs . I had a 4 disc set of classical masterpiece composers : Vivaldi;Bach:Beethoven:Schubert...and it was my life blood. I also had a cassette tape player before the discman and I remember listening to Leonard Bernstein's "Rhapsody in Blue" and Gustav Holst "planets" but my sony discman was what I used mostly after it came out in 91.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wood planer

Cause it starts with a tree and turns the curls into garbage and turns the flat parts into a boat that people will pay to see 500 years later.
    Last edited by nayjevin; 07-11-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Great thread.

HP 15-C Calculator. They were made from 1982 - 89 with a rich engineering feature set, including the use of complex numbers and matrix math. They also used the Reverse Polish notation input processing method, which at first will drive you nuts but once you get it, it's a thing of beauty. As a simple example, with RPN, to add 4 + 3 you press "4", "Enter", "3", "+". The 15C also has a very nice form factor, big enough to use easy but very compact as well. Oh, and the batteries last forever.

The 15C was so popular that there was a campaign to have it brought back, which HP did, 20 years later. Originals are going on ebay for up to $300, well over the original price.

Some links I just dug up:
    http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp15.htm
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi...data_sheet.pdf
    http://hp15c.org/
    http://www.ebay.com/ctg/HP-15C-Scien...ator-/92845674
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

I like lamp oil , matches ( invented after the cigarette lighter , if I recall ) , the Atlatl , flexible filet knife , wheel ,, flint fleshing tools, hand drill , wrist watch , too many things to mention .

Simple ignition systems...

Handtools..

Sailboats..

Horses...

Our Polaroid camera, we kept it right next to the Atari so we could take pics of our high scores in Pitfall. When I was cleaning out my parents house there were more photos of the TV than there were of us.

And our Atari

Oh, remote controlled TV's....I got so sick of being the remote.

And last but not least...
    my Holly Hobby portable record player.

My favorite (and only) record...

I choose fire.

It provides heat and light at night. It cooks food and makes it taste better and makes it easier to digest.

The bicycle. Still the most efficient machine in terms of effort to output man has invented. http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/01...-invented.html

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Electricity, I cannot say enough how much I love this invention. Without it, I wouldn't have meet all you lovely people

Because it sings.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The pickup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_pickup With this, man has made some of the most interesting and awesomest music EVARRR...sounds which had only been dreamed of before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The steam engine. The invention itself powered the industrial revolution. The impetus behind its development laid the foundation for all the engineering disciplines.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

What's that? I should probably know but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    What's that? I should probably know but I don't.
    The original Telsa Induction Motor.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

The aqueduct. Made city life a lot less $#@!ty.

Also, numbers. Can't count how many times I've needed them for something.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    The original Telsa Induction Motor.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    The aqueduct. Made city life a lot less $#@!ty.

Also, numbers. Can't count how many times I've needed them for something.
    That's pretty important too, I'm starting to kind of embarrassed about my choices.

Zero my Hero

The 100 watt incandescent lightbulb.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    The 100 watt incandescent lightbulb.
    Earth hating, smuggling, black market terrorist funding criminal!

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

Because it sings.
    That's an "off switch" for lippy people..........

Toilet paper and toilets!

And roller rings.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Toilet paper and toilets!
    Bah humbug, I say! The world is my toilet, for I am not burdened with a vagina. (I am selective about exactly where to pee though...gotta be polite...)
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I'm pretty fond of my cast iron pan.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I choose fire.

It provides heat and light at night. It cooks food and makes it taste better and makes it easier to digest.
    d00d, people didn't invent that. Prometheus stole it from Mt Olympus.

I've always thought the sextant was a cool old technology. Also the slide rule.

Two things I've never used but thought it would be cool to know how.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Language... 'Nuff said.
    Last edited by buenijo; 07-13-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by buenijo View Post
    Language... 'Nuff said.
    You are not married ?

I was going to skip this, not being from the 20th century, but since other great 20th century inventions like fire and language have showed up here, I'll add this too.

As much as it pains me to admit this - seriously, like getting run through - this is, actually, old technology, and the market shows no sign of even entertaining this idea again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-g1-phone.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	2786

The Google G1.
    The very first Android phone, ever.

Google knocked it out of the park with that one. They defined what an Android phone should be and they got it perfect the first time.
    Not even the G2 was as functionally perfect.
    Every other Android phone since then has been an exercise in throwing more raw power into an increasingly dumbed-down device.
    It was the perfect size and weight. Every button was exactly where it was supposed to be - and did exactly what was expected.
    I remember the first time I held one - I picked it up, and started using it, sight unseen.
    Never in the entire time using it or my G2 have I ever had an autocorrect problem - because, keyboard.
    I'm right on that score, and the world is wrong.

Since then, we've gotten devices which are increasingly and intentionally chomping Apple's jock.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Trains.

'Cause the CIA can't shoot 'em out of the sky and blame it on the Russians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast