Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Classic Rock Isn’t What It Used To Be

Exclamation Why Classic Rock Isn’t What It Used To Be

Too long and too many graphics to copy-pasta, but worth a read.

Basically:

♪♫ "All this machinery, making modern music, can it still be open hearted?

Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question of your honesty" ♫♪

Why Classic Rock Isn’t What It Used To Be

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...it-used-to-be/

By Walt Hickey

Led Zeppelin is classic rock. So are Mötley Crüe and Ozzy Osbourne. But what about U2 or Nirvana? As a child of the 1990s, I never doubted that any of these bands were classic rock, even though it may be shocking for many to hear. And then I heard Green Day’s “American Idiot” on a classic rock station a few weeks ago, and I was shocked.

It was my first time hearing a band I grew up with referred to as “classic rock.” Almost anyone who listens to music over a long enough period of time probably experiences this moment — my colleagues related some of their own, like hearing R.E.M. or Guns N’ Roses on a classic rock station — but it made me wonder, what precisely is classic rock? As it turns out, a massive amount of data collection and analysis, and some algorithms, go into figuring out the answer to that very question.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i thnk guns and roses is classic for sure, but started after the "classic" area was over. i consider classic as the 70s rock mostly. a version of "catcher in the rye" by gnr in 2009 sounds very classic. to bad brian may of queen was deleted from the solos. mays version of the song is pure classic. this could be a classic NOW if radio would play it. solo starts around 2:15.see what u think....
    Last edited by satchelmcqueen; 07-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Wellman said release years have nothing to do with what makes a song “classic rock”; the ability of the genre to grow based on consumers’ tastes is one of the things that’s given it such longevity.
    SMFH. A good example of why corporate music and entertainment are fail. In all arts, eras are pretty well defined. i.e.-baroque is generally considered a style that endured in Europe in a significant way from 1600 to 1750 (some historians disagree, but not significantly,AFAIK). "Classic Rock" is probably best dated from c. 1960-1980, but there are a few classic rock tunes earlier and later. /ramble
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Classic rock died when they ran out of musical ideas that could be stolen from Frank Zappa.

What can be considered classic rock is still being made today. It has become a genre.

I would debate even having Metallica included in the Classic Rock genre. Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal or Speed Metal would be better. (Well, it may depend upon which album the songs come from. AFAIC, they didn't release anything between AJFA and DM...)

Classic rock, made in 2013:

Five bucks to download on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Winery-Dogs/dp...qid=1405113745
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When I hear Public Enemy on an "adult contemporary" station, I'll know it's time to break out the Metamucil.

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    i thnk guns and roses is classic for sure, but started after the "classic" area was over. i consider classic as the 70s rock mostly. a version of "catcher in the rye" by gnr in 2009 sounds very classic. to bad brian may of queen was deleted from the solos. mays version of the song is pure classic. this could be a classic NOW if radio would play it. solo starts around 2:15.see what u think....
    That isn't the gunners, that's axl and some other dudes, it's a damn shame he uses the GNR name.

I used to muse at how great the divide is between what is "Critically acclaimed" and what is "popular". In the 60's there was still a chance something as revolutionary as "Good Vibrations" would catch on in the main stream. The Beatles ruled both innovation and what was popular. Over the years it's waned. Of course someone like Bruce Springsteen could still light up popular charts in the 80's. But today your lucky if someone truly talented cracks any pop/rock music station's charts. I think that's the biggest issue with music today is most of the good stuff is not well received by the masses.

I remember when I was a teen that "classic" stations were geared toward 60's rock (Time of the Season....In the 2525.... etc) Today you rarely hear that stuff. Most "classic" stations are geared to the 70's and 80's rock when I grew up.

Who knows. Once us geezers die off, the kids today will be calling what they listened to "Classic" and some classic station will be playing Coldplay.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't what semantics should be used, but I would agree that the term classic rock outside a vague description for a radio station, shouldn't ever mean in everyday conversation, "any rock music, over X years old."

Green Day isn't Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin isn't Nirvana. None of them are Black Sabbath, either. There is too much clear difference between the genres to have them all be considered classic rock rolled all into one, without the term being tiresome.

1988 Nissan Sentra, 25 year old "Classic Car"

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I have a hard time thinking of classic rock as anything other than 60s and 70s rock.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I have a hard time thinking of classic rock as anything other than 60s and 70s rock.

Classic
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

We have a local station here that plays some new stuff that has a classic rock feel to it.

http://kfog.tunegenie.com/

Then that being said the whole, "classic" thing sort of seems a little false to me.

A long time ago I saw a story in the paper the a soda company wanted to change to corn syrup like the other soda companies were using to save money. The story was that the trademark or patent office or whatever wouldn't let them because that was a change in the recipe. If they wanted to change the formula they would have to change the name.

Several months went by and all of a sudden a soda company was changing the soda and calling it a, "new" soda. It pretty much tasted flat and watered down to me. Now in retrospect I think they did it on purpose. Anyway they stuck with the, "New" about long enough that every bottle of the old real cans were gone. We sort of drank up and lost our reference point. Then they seemed to pretend to knuckle under the complaints and said they were bringing back the "Classic" soda.

Anyway note the name changes? The only bottles you will see today with the original name were coming from places like Mexico. I'm assuming with the original formula.

And then on top of the insult, the word, "Classic" took off. Everything was classic this or classic that. And I'm thinking all this time there was nothing classic about Classic.

But then I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

Classic
    IN A GADDA DA VITA

Great played loud.

There should be groups that get together at churches around the country, just to Batiste/baptise the organs properly with the song. Well that and the music LIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

Classic
    I'm going to see Frampton and the Doobie Brothers tomorrow night!
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    IN A GADDA DA VITA

Great played loud.

There should be groups that get together at churches around the country, just to Batiste/baptise the organs properly with the song. Well that and the music LIVE!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    I'm going to see Frampton and the Doobie Brothers tomorrow night!
    I was invited back stage by the Doobie Brothers once...well through a friend. It was at a concert in San Diego. I tried to warn them about a little something. It turned out all right though. I suppose you could say it rained indoors for a little bit there.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Far Freaking OUT!

Gave me goosebumps when it started. And it's always a hundred fold better live.

P.S. Wow. We have an organ hid away like that in Balboa Park in San Diego.

It is something a person could put together for friends pretty cheap I would imagine.

P.S. P.S. Sheet music from Music Notes and the wide open of the drum solo in your video makes it pretty easy to play along...

still a clarinet though. I'll have to remember to try my saxophone with this and another song in the Pink Floyd thread. I'm not going to find sheet music for the Mel Collins saxophone part and I don't think I've got enough years left to follow along with him.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5587141

P.S. P.S. P.S. That is the organ hidden away in San Diego. I just noticed the credits while I was playing it again. In fact lots of cities have them hidden away behind a wall in those bowls.

I think what they used to call classic rock is now called oldies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    What can be considered classic rock is still being made today. It has become a genre.

I would debate even having Metallica included in the Classic Rock genre. Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal or Speed Metal would be better. (Well, it may depend upon which album the songs come from. AFAIC, they didn't release anything between AJFA and DM...)

Classic rock, made in 2013:

Five bucks to download on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Winery-Dogs/dp...qid=1405113745
    Metallica is not classic rock. + rep
    "The Patriarch"

classic rock, the genuine article.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Does this mean I may eventually hear a GWAR song on a classic rock station????

Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bman View Post
    Does this mean I may eventually hear a GWAR song on a classic rock station????

They'd have to make some music first.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So many years,, so many bands..

but in my mind,,, "classic" Rock would start with Chuck Berry.. and that alone could be a whole thread.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 07-12-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Part of the issue here is just what the article mentioned, trying to pigeonhole a format based on computer profiles and algorithms.

Here's a couple of radio stations that have a full time on air staff, picking what they like and what people like, mixing it all together to provide a wide range of rock.

Jersey Shore:
    http://www.wrat.com/index_full.aspx

Stephen King's radio station:
    http://www.wkitfm.com/

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Classic rock for me was finding this in my dad's car in 1976:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	2772
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

"Classic Rock" is timeless..

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

I'd say classic is quality that stands the test of time. You can measure each one, but it seems that time spans are getting so much shorter. The word trending is now used to describe a pop star that has been in the news for two days.

The number of people who sing in an outstanding way is really very small to me. That's the way it is with a lot of things, so no big deal there. The baseball hall of fame is often the exception because it recognizes very few.

Anyway, I'd say this is classic:

Oh wait, that's not rock. Here's some good rocker vocals:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Stephen King's radio station:
    http://www.wkitfm.com/

I listen to that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast