Thread: Greta Van Susteren traveling with Rand Paul on trip to Guatemala

Greta Van Susteren traveling with Rand Paul on trip to Guatemala

Greta is going to Guatemala with Rand... am I reading that right?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Greta is going to Guatemala with Rand... am I reading that right?

Wow. Fox news getting footage for a pre-convention documentary to play before he accepts the nomination?

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEsq View Post
    Wow. Fox news getting footage for a pre-convention documentary to play before he accepts the nomination?

yup
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Not exactly what I'd characterize as a media blackout.

here's a post on the Gretawire blog

7/10/14 at 6:58 pm

WE ARE GOING TO GUATEMALA WITH DOCTOR (and yes, SENATOR) RAND PAUL

Senator Rand Paul is not just a US Senator but a Doctor! His specialty is ophthalmology and this August he will be returning to Guatemala where he has done charity surgeries in the past and is going back to do more now. He is also going to check on former patients to see how they are doing….

….and ON THE RECORD at 7pm is tagging along….so that means YOU are going, too, since we take our cameras!
    http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/...-read-details/
    Last edited by jct74; 07-11-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Great publicity
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

I think I read something somewhere about Rand speaking with Rupert Murdoch recently. Hannity has historically been friendly. He hasn't been attacked by Bill O'.

Ron was a flawed candidate, but if Fox News and talk radio were neutral he could have won the nomination. If Rand gets Fox on his side...

Senator Paul better have plenty of bodyguards and security if he wants to go to Guatemala.

There is also plenty of tyranny at the main Guatemalan airport....you have to pay a $30 departure tax for exiting the country through there...the airport security is more full of s*** than the TSA, frisks every traveler touching their butts and confiscates plenty of stuff the TSA would not have a problem with....The airport customs frequently makes travelers open their bags and are eager to make travelers pay tariffs/customs duties for anything exceeding a $500 exemption.

On the bright side, there is a nice libertarian university there Universidad Francisco Marroquin whose founder was friend of Ludwig von Mises and named their library after him.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    There is also plenty of tyranny at the main Guatemalan airport....you have to pay a $30 departure tax for exiting the country through there...
    The departure tax is pretty much standard for most of those countries that depend on tourism. I can't recall the last time I visited another such country that didn't have a departure tax.

Quote Originally Posted by limequat View Post
    Great publicity
    Normally, yes, but with the crisis at the border and Guatemala being one of the main countries from which people are pouring over the border, it is going to be a politically tricky visit. He's going to have to confront the immigration crisis in some way during the trip. In retrospect, would have been better if he had chosen some place in Asia or Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Normally, yes, but with the crisis at the border and Guatemala being one of the main countries from which people are pouring over the border, it is going to be a politically tricky visit. He's going to have to confront the immigration crisis in some way during the trip. In retrospect, would have been better if he had chosen some place in Asia or Africa.
    Keep in mind the Guatemala destination many months ago before this "crisis" arose, and in the article it says that Randal has already previously gone to Guatemala and done operations and will be doing followup checkups on previous patients down there.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    I really don't think this is going to be an issue. Even the crowd that is furious at Glenn Beck for donating/helping illegals who crossed the border probably aren't going to equate that to charity for people who aren't openly crossing the border illegally

This move when shown publicly will add favor among the 32 million hispanics who live in the USA. Brilliant move.

I really don't think this is going to be an issue. Even the crowd that is furious at Glenn Beck for donating/helping illegals who crossed the border probably aren't going to equate that to charity for people who aren't openly crossing the border illegally
    Not as bad as Beck for sure, but it still forces Rand to talk about an issue that he's had a lot of problems with lately. Whether the people he's treating are illegals or planning on making a run for the border with their new eyes is besides the point. He's in Guatemala, so he's going to have to confront the issue same way as if he were doing eye surgery in the Ukraine right now he'd be forced to speak about that conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Keep in mind the Guatemala destination many months ago before this "crisis" arose, and in the article it says that Randal has already previously gone to Guatemala and done operations and will be doing followup checkups on previous patients down there.
    I'm not blaming Rand. Someplace in Africa or Asia would have been better, but maybe the planning on this had been to far advanced or the longstanding relationships too deep for him to nix them for a more politically palatable destination. Sometimes you just have to play a less than ideal hand out. I just hope Rand has a very well thought out and politically beneficial statement planned for when the immigration questions inevitably come up.
    Last edited by RonPaulMall; 07-11-2014 at 09:05 AM.

I just don't see this as anything but great for Rand politically. I'm assuming Greta is going to do an entire special on him doing charity surgeries in Guatemala and that's going to go out to millions of Republican primary voters who are going to see him positively, not as a typical politician. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 1-2% bump in the national primary numbers. I imagine this will look great to Hispanics and Catholics as well - think Louisiana.

GVS wouldn't follow around some schmuck that had no shot at winning. The fact she's going with him, for whatever reason to me, feel like it has some pretty big significance.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This isn't something Rand is doing for politics and to make himself look good. He has been doing this before he was elected and I suspect it is something he does through his church.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    This isn't something Rand is doing for politics and to make himself look good. He has been doing this before he was elected and I suspect it is something he does through his church.
    Regardless of his intent its going to make him look good. And I think he knows that or he wouldn't be bringing Greta along.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post

its both.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Rand should have more liberty to do charity surgery in a foreign country than the U.S. correct? I know the Senate has some crazy rules against their members holding a job in the real world while simultaneously serving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Rand should have more liberty to do charity surgery in a foreign country than the U.S. correct? I know the Senate has some crazy rules against their members holding a job in the real world while simultaneously serving.
    He does them here too.

Rand Paul’s Pro Bono Eye Surgeries

Paducah, Ky. — Rand Paul switched gears today, swapping politics for medicine, and doing pro bono eye surgery on four people. I’ll have more details in a later piece, but I wanted to share some of the pictures of Dr. Paul operating today (he and two of his patients were kind enough to let me watch the surgeries).
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...katrina-trinko

I don't even think Rand cares about the questions. I think he cares more about getting back into practice and helping people for free...

The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    He does them here too.
    I know, but there's a lot of hoops to jump through to do it. It's dumb.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think I read something somewhere about Rand speaking with Rupert Murdoch recently. Hannity has historically been friendly. He hasn't been attacked by Bill O'.

Ron was a flawed candidate, but if Fox News and talk radio were neutral he could have won the nomination. If Rand gets Fox on his side...
    Oh the attacks will come from Hannity and Bill O' once they get the word from the higher ups. I'm even willing to bet Levin, Beck and Rush will follow suit. Bookmark this post for the future.

I think Rand talked to Murdock at the KY Derby that he was invited to by Rand himself...
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

I just don't see this as anything but great for Rand politically. I'm assuming Greta is going to do an entire special on him doing charity surgeries in Guatemala and that's going to go out to millions of Republican primary voters who are going to see him positively, not as a typical politician. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 1-2% bump in the national primary numbers. I imagine this will look great to Hispanics and Catholics as well - think Louisiana.
    A lot of people and even those among us don't understand this simple fact...Politics is much more about personal image, how the media portrays you and hence in turn relates to how the voters perceive you. It's called Rand Paul winning here. Let's just hope he doesn't have a Howard Dean moment any time lol...
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty74 View Post
    Oh the attacks will come from Hannity and Bill O' once they get the word from the higher ups. I'm even willing to bet Levin, Beck and Rush will follow suit. Bookmark this post for the future.

I think Rand talked to Murdock at the KY Derby that he was invited to by Rand himself...
    Oh I don't doubt that Rush and Levin will be bashing Paul. Not so sure about Beck, though. It just seems like Rand is more willing to "court" Fox and thus will hopefully receive fairer (even if not positive) treatment

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Greta Van Susteren traveling with Rand Paul on trip to Guatemala
    It's sad that if you replaced 'Guatemala' with 'Israel', this trip would suddenly be controversial here.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty74 View Post

Not Beck. He recently announced that he's going to do some kind of charitable work for the immigrant children, and he's taking a lot of flack for it from his audience. It would be impossible hypocrisy to then criticize Rand.

i just think rand is just having fun.. people are reading too much into things