Thread: Neoconservatives attempt to rebrand as "freedom conservatives"

Neoconservatives attempt to rebrand as "freedom conservatives"

If there's one thing to be said about neoconservatives, it's that they are very creative with names. As quickly as a snake sheds it's skin, the names of their organizations will change, adapting to the fact that eventually they are discredited and are no longer viable. Always popular in their names are variations of "freedom" and "America".

The time has finally come for a change of the name for the entire movement. The gig is up. The self-labeled "neoconservative" brand has been tarnished beyond repair. It has been exposed as a big government, big spending, anti-Constitution, Republican in name only ideology. Hillary Clinton is now their favored politician, and many are aligning more with their true home, the Democrat Party. The brand now carries all the clout of "Yugo", "Enron" or "Edsel".

But for those who don't openly move back to the Democrat Party, there is still a need for a presence in the GOP. And they want to make it clear right from the start: they desire to be aligned with the big government, Big Brother, establishment wing of the GOP.

Behold, the grand unveiling of "Freedom Conservatives".

When we write about the right these days, we tend to use a set of dated shorthand, overlapping categories drawn from different eras: neocons and tea partyers, libertarians and hawks, the establishment and the grassroots.

These terms don’t really fit. There are multiple strands of anti-government conservatism that predate the tea party movement, and kinds of hawkishness that have little to do with the neoconservative movement. This jargon is a mess.

I propose replacing the messy old terminology with a simple new vocabulary, one that has evolved organically, which has deep and consistent intellectual roots, no pejorative implications, and which political leaders use effortlessly and without reflecting. The division that will define the Republican Party for the next decade is the split between Liberty Conservatives and Freedom Conservatives.
    The divide also maps to real, recent policy divides. For example: U.S. intervention in the Middle East; the sequester that capped federal spending; the National Security Agency’s spying on Americans. Freedom Conservatives back the aggressive security measures and, relatedly, oppose the spending cap. Liberty Conservatives are deeply skeptical of bombing and spying, and drove support for limited spending.

Liberty Conservatives look, first of all, to America’s founding documents. They are deeply skeptical not just of the contemporary government but of 20th-century government action...
    Freedom Conservatives are as likely to look to Lincoln as to the founders, and they may admit to having ancestors who voted for Franklin Roosevelt and marched for civil rights. The history Freedom Conservatives want to re-litigate is that of the first decade of the 21st century. They see a role for a strong government abroad, and they are, in some senses, the heirs to George W. Bush: Pragmatic about domestic policy, deeply concerned about America’s place in the world. Their backers include Wall Street financiers and defense contractors.
    Not every issue maps neatly onto this dichotomy, and politics is not about intellectual consistency or purity. The leaders of both groups, for instance, favor compromise on immigration; the Liberty grassroots oppose it. Conservatives of all stripes have, meanwhile, blasted Obama over the current crisis at the Mexican border. And there are differences of emphasis.The Freedom Conservative elites — from Bill Kristol to John Bolton to Sheldon Adelson — care a lot about foreign policy.
    “Liberty seems to suggest the ‘don’t tread on me, get the government off my back, do your own thing’ outlook, while freedom seems to suggest a more public, civic set of entitlements, often linked to exercising power of some sort,” Foner said.
    Presidential politics is always where American political identity is shaped, and these two identities are set to mature in 2016. The candidates are lining up on both sides: The Freedom Conservatives are represented by Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, and Chris Christie; the Liberty Conservatives by Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.

“You’re seeing skirmishes all over the place, people testing each other,” Michael Goldfarb, a Freedom Conservative (and indeed, the guy who coined that phrase), told my colleague Rosie Gray.
    More:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/the...of-republicans
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just saw Ben Shapiro call Obama a Jew Hater on Faux News, hes a nobody neo-con but its cute that hes trying to grab some attention. Even neo-con Megyn Kelly reminded neo-con Ben that the US pays for a lot of Israel's defense systems, but Ben Shapiro wasn't phased.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

I love the smell of FREEDOM in the morning!

Now where are my damn FREEDOM FRIES!

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Behold, the grand unveiling of "Freedom Conservatives".
    Well I think that's awful that Rob Schneider goes down to Home Depot and pays the migrant workers to go to his house and choke him in the shower.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

It won't work, they are all Trotskyites.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

A related article:

The War Party To Buzzfeed: Don’t Say Neocon
    Smith is right that the terms with which the media talks about the right are muddy and often poorly applied. But when he tries to limn the intellectual roots of his new categories, he ends up basically describing the Old Right and the neoconservative movement; the former forged in opposition to the New Deal, and the latter from FDR supporters who were “mugged by reality” (he leaves out their Trotskyite dalliances). This is rather curious, isn’t it? There was once a time when journalists would look into the roots of ideas and attempt to explain how they carry on to today; in the Buzzfeed era, just make an arbitrary distinction we don’t really understand, name both sides something inoffensive, and pretend it’s a paradigm shift.

There wouldn’t be much more to say about the essay if it were just “nonsensical compartmentalization written by a total outsider,” as Mediaite’s Andrew Kirell put it. And it is that. But there’s something else going on here.

Though Smith claims these terms “evolved organically,” he admits later in the piece that the term “freedom conservative” was coined by Center for American Freedom chairman, “bull$#@! artist extraordinaire,” and registered foreign agent Michael Goldfarb. Smith holds up the Center for American Freedom as the bastion of this new not-neoconservatism; CAF literally has a family connection to Bill Kristol, in the form of his son-in-law Matt Continetti. Somehow we are to deduce from this that neoconservative is no longer a relevant term. This is some serious chutzpah.

In other words, Ben Smith appears to have been convinced by one of the neoconservatives’ top operators that neoconservative is no longer a useful label, and has now endorsed that person’s replacement term. Quite a trick, isn’t it? Imagine Lila Rose convincing the Associated Press to start using “pro-life” again and you’ll get a sense of the journalistic malfeasance at work.

It’s clear why someone of Goldfarb’s persuasion would want to rebrand. Neoconservatives are unpopular because Americans are exhausted of the wars they like. Polling continues to show a lack of interest in foreign entanglements, and neoconservative darling Tom Cotton is finding the good people of Arkansas aren’t interested in Kristolian platitudes. It’s worth remembering that even the Romney campaign ran from the label. Indeed, Free Beacon editor Continetti immediately latched onto the new term as well, declaring that he’s ”proud to be a freedom conservative.”
    Much more:
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/10/th...nt-say-neocon/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

They Hate Us For Our Freedom.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

If they cared about defense, then they would stop the NSA from leaving all the doors open.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Now where are my damn FREEDOM FRIES!
    As this other article points out, they can't even legitimately claim "freedom fries", because that originated with Walter Jones.

Smith’s piece claims that the freedom conservatives get credit for coining “freedom fries,” the silly Bush-era Francophobe nickname, but this is yet another strategic elision. One of the two congressmen who sought the name change, Walter Jones of North Carolina, now regrets his vote for the second Iraq invasion with a conviction that is truly a sight to behold.

To the freedom conservatives, this is an apostasy that merits the congressman’s political destruction. Back in April, the Emergency Committee for Israel, of which Goldfarb is an adviser, ran almost $350,000 worth of television ads against Jones. He won anyway.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/10/th...nt-say-neocon/

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    It won't work, they are all Trotskyites.
    I think it will work. Boobus has no idea what "Trotskyites" means.

"Freedom conservatives" - neither for freedom, nor conservative

Typical.

Well, somebody registered freedomconservatives.com today. Hopefully they have similar intentions as I did.

http://whois.domaintools.com/freedomconservatives.com

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I think it will work. Boobus has no idea what "Trotskyites" means.
    But some know who the RINOS are
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe