Thread: Include me or arrest me! Fl Gov Candidate on forum (debate). He is Presidential material

Include me or arrest me! Fl Gov Candidate on forum (debate). He is Presidential material

http://www.wfla.com/story/25959909/c...matum-on-forum

A candidate for Florida governor is issuing an ultimatum: Include me or arrest me.

Adrian Wyllie, a Libertarian Party candidate, wants to take part in a gubernatorial candidate forum held by the Florida Press Association this week in Coral Gables.

“It’s basically that I am going to attend the event and they can either make another place at the table or they can have me arrested, and those are their only two options,” Wyllie told News Channel 8.

Related link: Open letter from Adrian Wyllie

The head of the Florida Press Association said the group set out specific criteria for the forum, which takes place at its convention on Friday. The criteria include getting 12 percent support in a poll designated by FPA (taking a 4 percent margin of error into consideration) and raising $250,000 by May 1.

Democrats Charlie Crist and Nan Rich are confirmed for the forum, said FPA President and CEO Dean Ridings. Gov. Rick Scott is not scheduled to attend.

Wyllie said he plans to attend the event with others.

“We’re going to get into the building and we’re going to get into the room,” he said.

Ridings said they are discussing the idea of extra security.

http://politics.heraldtribune.com/20...next-governor/
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lets give this man a listing under defenders of liberty and push him for president. Come on Mods Its for the Children.

http://politics.heraldtribune.com/20...next-governor/

https://www.facebook.com/WyllieForGovernor

http://wyllieforgovernor.com/wyllie-memes/

http://wyllieforgovernor.com/
    Last edited by mrsat_98; 07-10-2014 at 01:50 AM.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

Why do people do this sort of nonsense and think it will help?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Libertarian thinks he can make the rules at someone's private party?

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Yeah, the republicrats don't want anyone messin' with their one party system.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

The head of the Florida Press Association said the group set out specific criteria for the forum, which takes place at its convention on Friday. The criteria include getting 12 percent support in a poll designated by FPA (taking a 4 percent margin of error into consideration) and raising $250,000 by May 1.
    My heart not bleeding. He had 15% at one point, but then started losing ground over his sovereign citizen stuff. (Which means he wants to be governor of a state that he doesn't recognize?)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Yes, because being super polite and well-mannered (and thoroughly ignored) is a much better path to take.

I say raise hell!
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

Private party? These people are running for governor.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because when they want to shut you up, going along to get along is a much better strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by chudrockz View Post
    Yes, because being super polite and well-mannered (and thoroughly ignored) is a much better path to take.

I say raise hell!
    Almost always, the only thing a third party candidate can do is spoil for / against another candidate. And even that is rare.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    My heart not bleeding. He had 15% at one point, but then started losing ground over his sovereign citizen stuff. (Which means he wants to be governor of a state that he doesn't recognize?)
    The reality of the situation would be that he is wanting to be governor of the state of the Union, i.e. that republic that we are guaranteed and not the fictional federal state within a state, collection of areas that exclusive legislative jurisdiction has been transferred to the United States with a retro cession of partial legislative jurisdiction held by the state. I say he recognizes the state for what it is. Take your blinders off.

http://flpress.com/

Its a private non- profit organization. They have thier own goals and agendas. The Florida press is not a public funded propert that has to be all inclusive. I support the right of these places and organizations to exist and do what they want.

I'm not saying its right that they made rules that disallow a low polling person into its private event, I hate that.

I just think its ironic that somebody from a party that supposedly champions private property is willing to come barge into an event that he is not invited to.

Its freaking ironic.

That's all I'm saying.

Almost always, the only thing a third party candidate can do is spoil for / against another candidate. And even that is rare.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...tura110498.htm

I'll take Ventura over Skip Humphrey or Norm Coleman any day.

- ML

Last edited by Massachusetts; 06-28-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

Yeah so third parties shouldn't even bother running, right Matt? I mean after all, they are unelectable.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Wyllie for Governor
    4 hrs · Edited ·
    I just got back into town, and I thought I should update everyone on today's events.
    Shortly after arriving at the Florida Press Association and Florida Society of News Editors convention at The Biltmore in Coral Gables, I scouted the conference area, just off the hotel lobby.
    The FPA followed through with their plans to increase security. Posted at the entrance to the convention area was a uniformed city police officer with a photo of me in his hand. I saw him repeatedly shifting his gaze from the photo, and then to the faces entering the lobby. They were definitely looking for me.
    I approached the officer quickly, so by the time he recognized me I was standing right in front of him. I smiled, pointed at the photo in his hand, and said, "Yes, that's me. But I'm not going to cause a ruckus just yet."
    We were awaiting the arrival of a local TV news crew that had planned to cover the event. Unfortunately, they called and advised us they were stuck in traffic, and they would be at least an hour late.
    We would have to go ahead without them.
    I walked toward the conference area with staff and supporters in tow. The chief of security started calling after me to stop. I ignored him and kept walking. To his credit, the police officer did not move to intercept me.
    I approached Dean Ridings, President of the Florida Press Association, who was waiting there for me. I told him that we both know why I'm here, and I asked him whether they were going to allow me in.
    He stuck to his guns regarding their arbitrary criteria for inclusion, and we began engaging in a civil, but tense debate.
    Neither of us was budging from our position.
    A crowd began to gather, with my supporters on one side, and members of the press on the other. No one in the crowd spoke. They watched Dean and me intently.
    Several people were recording the event, so I expect video to be available sometime soon.
    After a few minutes of debate, Dean's position began to soften. He offered to let me into the event, but would not allow me on stage. He said I would be free to speak to the assembled media one-on-one.
    It was a major concession on their part.
    They were extending an olive branch, and it seemed sincere. The situation began to feel less like a confrontation, and more like a good faith negotiation.
    At that point, I had a decision to make. I could accept the concession they were offering, deescalate the encounter, and take the opportunity to meet personally with the publishers and editors of Florida's largest media outlets.
    Or, I could reject their offer, proceed to the podium, and be arrested.
    At that moment, I knew that if I had proceeded, that my candidacy and the Libertarian Party would probably not be taken seriously again for a very long time.
    No matter how gracefully I proceeded, exaggerated headlines across the state tomorrow would read, "Extremist Libertarian Disrupts Press Event, Terrifies Guests." Much of the credibility we've earned in recent years would be lost in an instant.
    I would have won the day's battle, but lost the entire war. I agreed to their terms.
    They issued convention credentials to me and one staff member, and gave us access. I spent the afternoon speaking directly with the heads of major newspapers and media outlets. I found that there was actually a great deal of interest in our campaign within the press.
    Cell phone numbers were exchanged. Relationships were founded.
    We scheduled several interviews with reporters, and planned meetings with editorial boards for endorsement consideration.
    Also, based on our discussions, it is seems much more likely that I will be included in all of the televised debates.
    I have to admit, my ego was somewhat deflated because I didn't triumphantly take the stage to address the media. We were itching for a "fight" and we didn't get one.
    But in the end, I'm very glad that I trusted my instinct and accepted the truce offered by the FPA. I sincerely believe we advanced the cause of liberty today.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Third parties should stay in the game even if they have to act as a spoiler. Learn em dern em.

Thanks for posting. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Thanks for posting. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.
    Agree!! Most people are too immature and think in that single moment - he did a good job strategizing the war!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Yeah so third parties shouldn't even bother running, right Matt? I mean after all, they are unelectable.
    It depends on their objective.... sometimes they run to spoil. Other times they run to build a list or start an issue discussion. They almost never and should pratically never run to get elected.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Don't know if he was promoting "sovereign citizen" or not but I went down that road once (about 20 years ago) and found it to be a dead end. Many of their arguments sound pretty good and even have some historical support but here's the one place where it falls apart and the one issue I bring up when trying to talk to people on the sovereign citizen bandwagon: Corporate law is contract law. A contract requires 3 things. It requires a meeting of (sound) minds, disclosure, and agreement. In the case of a situation where someone has "created" a corporation using my personal name in "all caps", you have none of the above. If such a contract could be found to exist, it would be null and void for violating all of the requirements of a contract. Certainly I could never be "obligated" to fulfill the contract...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Tell that to UKIP.

In 95% of the major races, there's nothing to "spoil" - both candidates SUCK.

At least this is a move that forces the Florida Press to cover him; accepting their arbitrary rules would just perpetuate their narrative that there's only Republicans and Democrats worth paying attention to.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

http://flpress.com/

Its a private non- profit organization. They have thier own goals and agendas. The Florida press is not a public funded propert that has to be all inclusive. I support the right of these places and organizations to exist and do what they want.

I'm not saying its right that they made rules that disallow a low polling person into its private event, I hate that.

I just think its ironic that somebody from a party that supposedly champions private property is willing to come barge into an event that he is not invited to.

Its freaking ironic.

That's all I'm saying.
    1- taking "non-profit" status itself is entrenching them with the State. In a "real" constitutional republic, the State would not be able to confer this status at all - and if they did generally, they shouldn't be able to confer this status to those who discriminate in the political realm.

2- they are purporting themselves to the public to be a "news source" and candidate forum - not a patsy to the Democrat primary candidates. For full transparency they should allow anyone who qualified to be on the ballot - there is no requirement to have early polling numbers of above 15% or any amount of raised funds to win an election. Further, by requiring 15% polling they are effectively limiting their forum to about 4 candidates - it's unlikely that 5 people, even if they are all "potential winners," would poll above 15% this early in the election cycle.

3- there is a notion in Constitutional Law that a law/policy can be neutral on its face, but have intended discriminatory effects. This type of qualification would almost certainly qualify as discrimination based on political affiliation. Thus the event should be considered a donation to the Ds and Rs - because that's all it is.

This isn't a corporate function where a disgruntled ex-employee demands to be let into a private business. This isn't your home where you can deny your stalker from coming over for dinner. This isn't even a private dinner to support a particular candidate.

This is a "public service non-profit" acting as a public forum for candidates for public office. Hardly a "private property rights" situation.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Wyllie for Governor
    4 hrs · Edited ·
    I just got back into town, and I thought I should update everyone on today's events.
    Shortly after arriving at the Florida Press Association and Florida Society of News Editors convention at The Biltmore in Coral Gables, I scouted the conference area, just off the hotel lobby.
    The FPA followed through with their plans to increase security. Posted at the entrance to the convention area was a uniformed city police officer with a photo of me in his hand. I saw him repeatedly shifting his gaze from the photo, and then to the faces entering the lobby. They were definitely looking for me.
    I approached the officer quickly, so by the time he recognized me I was standing right in front of him. I smiled, pointed at the photo in his hand, and said, "Yes, that's me. But I'm not going to cause a ruckus just yet."
    We were awaiting the arrival of a local TV news crew that had planned to cover the event. Unfortunately, they called and advised us they were stuck in traffic, and they would be at least an hour late.
    We would have to go ahead without them.
    I walked toward the conference area with staff and supporters in tow. The chief of security started calling after me to stop. I ignored him and kept walking. To his credit, the police officer did not move to intercept me.
    I approached Dean Ridings, President of the Florida Press Association, who was waiting there for me. I told him that we both know why I'm here, and I asked him whether they were going to allow me in.
    He stuck to his guns regarding their arbitrary criteria for inclusion, and we began engaging in a civil, but tense debate.
    Neither of us was budging from our position.
    A crowd began to gather, with my supporters on one side, and members of the press on the other. No one in the crowd spoke. They watched Dean and me intently.
    Several people were recording the event, so I expect video to be available sometime soon.
    After a few minutes of debate, Dean's position began to soften. He offered to let me into the event, but would not allow me on stage. He said I would be free to speak to the assembled media one-on-one.
    It was a major concession on their part.
    They were extending an olive branch, and it seemed sincere. The situation began to feel less like a confrontation, and more like a good faith negotiation.
    At that point, I had a decision to make. I could accept the concession they were offering, deescalate the encounter, and take the opportunity to meet personally with the publishers and editors of Florida's largest media outlets.
    Or, I could reject their offer, proceed to the podium, and be arrested.
    At that moment, I knew that if I had proceeded, that my candidacy and the Libertarian Party would probably not be taken seriously again for a very long time.
    No matter how gracefully I proceeded, exaggerated headlines across the state tomorrow would read, "Extremist Libertarian Disrupts Press Event, Terrifies Guests." Much of the credibility we've earned in recent years would be lost in an instant.
    I would have won the day's battle, but lost the entire war. I agreed to their terms.
    They issued convention credentials to me and one staff member, and gave us access. I spent the afternoon speaking directly with the heads of major newspapers and media outlets. I found that there was actually a great deal of interest in our campaign within the press.
    Cell phone numbers were exchanged. Relationships were founded.
    We scheduled several interviews with reporters, and planned meetings with editorial boards for endorsement consideration.
    Also, based on our discussions, it is seems much more likely that I will be included in all of the televised debates.
    I have to admit, my ego was somewhat deflated because I didn't triumphantly take the stage to address the media. We were itching for a "fight" and we didn't get one.
    But in the end, I'm very glad that I trusted my instinct and accepted the truce offered by the FPA. I sincerely believe we advanced the cause of liberty today.
    Lesson: never accept their first offer.

My little editorial comment (FWIW):

Let's first assume that our votes count in a given election.

We need more political parties running in elections, not less.

Two parties cannot possibly represent all people in this country who would like to vote. I'm not even certain that 3 parties is enough. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not.

Those enmeshed in the Left/Right paradigm are fond of saying political candidates don't need to embrace certain groups because they won't vote anyway. IMO, that's because those groups aren't represented in most elections!

Everyone here is familiar with this political graph:

The above graph is divided into 5 political philosophies, and each of those 5 covers a lot of "territory". One can see right here on RPF that there are people who consider themselves Republicans, but are not comfortable with many Republican candidates. Why should they be forced to make a choice between an unacceptable Democrat and an unacceptable Republican? The only other choice in that case is to stay home. That's what I think most non-voters have considered and concluded.

I think the system would work better if that group -- for whatever reasons they don't feel represented -- would be able to get behind a candidate from another political party who does represent them.

And the people who keep pushing the meme that "third parties can't win" and/or "you're throwing your vote away" are doing a disservice to our political process.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    The reality of the situation would be that he is wanting to be governor of the state of the Union, i.e. that republic that we are guaranteed and not the fictional federal state within a state, collection of areas that exclusive legislative jurisdiction has been transferred to the United States with a retro cession of partial legislative jurisdiction held by the state. I say he recognizes the state for what it is. Take your blinders off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Can somebody explain to me the process of voting in a closed primary in Florida? Since it's a closed primary, only registered Libertarians can vote for him (which is going to be hard for me to convince people to take the initiative to do this other than close friends and family), right? Then afterwards is election showing choices of the winners from each group in the primaries? First time voting for a governor (and officially switching to Libertarian Party), thanks!
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell