Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter campaign for potato salad hits $44,000

Kickstarter campaign for potato salad hits $44,000

I hate potato salad but good for him.

potatoes (delicious) + Mayo (love it) + celery (I'm okay with celery) + onions (love 'em) = nasty $#@!

Something like this may actually be a good fundraiser...something to think about.

Kickstarter backers seem to have an intense craving for potato salad.

What started as a $10 quest to make a potato salad has transformed into a $44,000 crowd-funding campaign. The project started by Zack Brown last week to make a potato salad crossed the financial threshold Tuesday.

"Basically, I'm just making potato salad," writes Brown on his Kickstarter page. "I haven't decided what kind yet."

As of Tuesday afternoon, the project has more than 4,100 backers and raised about $44,000 — and counting. Among its most notable backers are Digg founder Kevin Rose and Scandal actor Joshua Malina.

"Kickstarter's a global community of millions of people who fund projects of all shapes and sizes," Kickstarter said in a statement. "There's no single recipe for inspiration."

Throughout the course of the campaign, Brown has added new stretch goals, such as "better mayonnaise," a live stream of the potato salad's creation and a "potato salad party."

"We're really tearing through these stretch goals," Brown said when the project was approaching $3,000. "I honestly don't know what is realistic anymore."

Brown's project isn't the first unusual campaign pitched on the crowd-funding website. A project launched earlier this year sought $8 for a creative presentation explaining the "deliciousness" of a chicken burrito from Chipotle. The campaign netted more than $1,000.

The potato salad project has also spawned several knockoffs, including campaigns seeking funds to make guacamole and omelettes.

The funding period ends on Aug. 2. Brown jokingly acknowledged one big risk in backing his project.

"It might not be that good," he says. "It's my first potato salad."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...alad/12300217/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    um no celery... salad olives and just a tad of mustard and maybe some pickle relish

I've got to consider a new line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    um no celery... salad olives and just a tad of mustard and maybe some pickle relish
    It's so weird, there are only four foods I've tried that I hate - liver, rutabagas, pickled eggs and potato salad. I love everything that goes in potato salad but when you mix all together it grosses me out. Oddly enough, I love all the other salads - even carrot raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I've got to consider a new line of work.
    Yeah, for $44gs I'm pretty sure I could eat that crap with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yeah, for $44gs I'm pretty sure I could eat that crap with a smile.
    LOL me too.

I like Pot Sal with mustard, mayo, splash olive oil, mild chow chow,fresh parsley onions, little bit garlic, fresh ground: paprika, black pepper, salt, maybe boiled eggs if I remember. I also like pasta salad with the same ingredients.

oh ya I put boiled eggs in to

Celery seed is the magic ingredient

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    potatoes (delicious) + Mayo (love it) + celery (I'm okay with celery) + onions (love 'em) = nasty $#@!
    I do love me some potato salad but with mustard (no/not much mayo). But I sure as hell aint gonna give some dumbass on the internet money to make some.

oh ya I put boiled eggs in to
    dill relish btw

LOL, CaseyJones has quite a concoction going on. Do you have room for potatoes in there?

Give a guy potato salad and he'll eat for one day. Give a guy 44k$ and he still won't work to make money to make potato salad, I also doubt he'll learn to make it. Pretty sure he's occupied with spending his 44k

LOL, CaseyJones has quite a concoction going on. Do you have room for potatoes in there?
    well yes and also btw it should be chunky taters and onions none of this whipped stuff I hate that

Quote Originally Posted by unconsious767 View Post
    Oh really, I must've ever had it with celery seed because there's nothing magical about any of the potato salads I've tried.

well yes and also btw it should be chunky taters and onions none of this whipped stuff I hate that
    I've never had "whipped stuff" in potato salad either...you sure that was potato salad?

yes some people actually whip the potatoes

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've never seen that, sounds like mashed potatoes with a little bit of everything from the fridge condiment rack thrown in.

I've never seen that, sounds like mashed potatoes with a little bit of everything from the fridge condiment rack thrown in.
    basically... also german potato salad is like that .. but its warm "eww"

basically... also german potato salad is like that .. but its warm "eww"
    I've had that, my sister-in-law insists on making for every family gathering. What a waste of bacon...

I do but I leave a few chunks. I also don't put so much mustard in that it turns yellow.

Mmm...I love me some country-style potato salad.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I do but I leave a few chunks. I also don't put so much mustard in that it turns yellow.
    yes I just use enough mustard to give it a little taste of it, I do not like straight up mustard potato salad

Oh, man. And the Kroger deli is closed ...amish...potato...salad...
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

I wouldn't like that either, add some mustard and either sweet pickle relish or diced sweet pickle and it's a whole 'nuther thing.

I wouldn't add so much mustard that it is almost straight mustard, but enough to turn it light yellow and definitely need the taste of the mustard to come through - with the sweet pickle it's quite a combo! And without those ingredients, I'd agree - sounds like some nasty shiz.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    I wouldn't like that either, add some mustard and either sweet pickle relish or diced sweet pickle and it's a whole 'nuther thing.

I wouldn't add so much mustard that it is almost straight mustard, but enough to turn it light yellow and definitely need the taste of the mustard to come through - with the sweet pickle it's quite a combo! And without those ingredients, I'd agree - sounds like some nasty shiz.
    I use sweet relish and dill relish but I like mine with lots of Hellmans.

Quote Originally Posted by unconsious767 View Post
    No dill weed is...

Bread and butter pickles and a little coriander.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

PotatoStock

Man Who Raised $55K On Kickstarter For Potato Salad To Throw Epic Party

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A man who jokingly sought $10 from a crowdfunding website to pay for his first attempt at making potato salad and ended up raising $55,000 is making good on his promise to throw a huge party.

Zack Brown is planning PotatoStock 2014, an all-ages, charity-minded party Saturday in downtown Columbus featuring bands, food trucks, beer vendors, potato-sack races and definitely potato salad.

His effort on Kickstarter in early July to buy potato salad ingredients took on a life of its own and attracted worldwide attention as the amount grew. The 31-year-old eventually raised $55,492.

The Idaho Potato Commission and corporate sponsors have donated supplies for Brown and volunteers to whip up 300 pounds of potato salad for the event.

The Columbus Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1vgYdWm ) reports Brown partnered with the Columbus Foundation to start an endowment that will aid area charities that fight hunger and homelessness. The account, started with $20,000 in post-campaign corporate donations, will grow after proceeds from PotatoStock are added.

"His fund will have potential way after this potato salad is forgotten," said Lisa Jolley, the foundation's director of donors and development.

Brown has been wooed by chefs, a literary agent and admirers seeking selfies and hugs.

"You never know what's going to take off," said Justin Kazmark, a spokesman for Kickstarter, whose projects reach their goals 44 percent of the time. "This was just the Internet being the Internet."

Brown said the effort was never really about potato salad.

"I think it says something about how you can spread an idea now," Brown said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ref=weird-news

I could dig PotatoStock.

Red potatoes, celery, mayo, dijon mustard, green onions, salt, pepper, hard-boiled eggs, paprika, celery seed, parsley. Dill might be good too.

No freaking Miracle Whip! That's what grosses me out about mayo-based salads. That stuff is terrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast