Thread: Web Activity Used in Court to Portray State of Mind

Web Activity Used in Court to Portray State of Mind

I don't care about the case, but look at this:

"Among the details police have released is that Harris and his wife, Leanna, told them they conducted Internet searches on how hot a car needed to be to kill a child. Stoddard testified Thursday that Ross Harris had visited a Reddit page called "child-free" and read four articles. He also did an Internet search on how to survive in prison, Stoddard said.

"Also, five days before Cooper died, Ross Harris twice viewed a sort of homemade public service announcement in which a veterinarian demonstrates on video the dangers of leaving someone or something inside a hot car."

Stoddard is a police detective. It seems that they know about his web browsing because they seized and searched his computer:

...investigators confiscated Harris' work computer at Home Depot following his arrest and discovered an Internet search about how long it would take for an animal to die in a hot car.

Stoddard also testified that Harris was "sexting" -- is this a word we use in court now? -- with several women on the day of his son's death, and sent explicit pictures to one of them. I assume he knows that by looking at Harris's message history.

A bunch of this would not be admissible in trial, but this was a probable-cause hearing, and the rules are different for those. CNN writes: "a prosecutor insisted that the testimony helped portray the defendant's state of mind and spoke to the negligence angle and helped establish motive."

This case aside, is there anyone reading this whose e-mails, text messages, and web searches couldn't be cherry-picked to portray any state of mind a prosecutor might want to portray?
    https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...tivity_us.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This case aside, is there anyone reading this whose e-mails, text messages, and web searches couldn't be cherry-picked to portray any state of mind a prosecutor might want to portray?
    No.

And this is why I continually harp on holding these useless pieces of tax-tick flotsam accountable!

A DA's home address and schedule must be public knowledge that's accessible to every taxpayer in the district...

Precisely what Snowden warned us about.

A bunch of this would not be admissible in trial...
    Was there a warrant, or would this type of "evidence" never be admissible in court?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Add to that viewing habits. Netflix, video on demand, YouTube, cable boxes that track viewing. "You watched an episode of CSI on Netflix where this type of crime was shown. That means you were planning that crime."
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Add to that viewing habits. Netflix, video on demand, YouTube, cable boxes that track viewing. "You watched an episode of CSI on Netflix where this type of crime was shown. That means you were planning that crime."

Add to that google auto fill searches:

Why does d

Why does dirrhea hurt?

Why does e

Why does everyone hate me?

Why does g

Why does god hate me?

Why does l

Why does life suck?

Why does i

Why does it burn when I poop?

Why does m

Why does my mom turn me on?

Why does n

Why does nobody like me?

Why does o

Why does Obama hate America?

Why does p

Why does poop stink?

Why does q

Why does queefing happen?

Why does r

Why does rigor mortis occur?

Why does s

Why does sex hurt?

Why does u

Why does urine smell?

Why does w

Why does weed make your eyes red?

Why does x

Why does xanax taste so bad?

We're all a bunch of $#@! sniffin', pill lickin', potus hatin' low self esteem death obsessed stoned motherfuckers that like rough queefy sex.
    Last edited by presence; 07-06-2014 at 02:28 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No.
    Like climategate?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Unlimited Tracking can reveal the Opinions of any person being tracked. Those Opinions, ideas that individuals may choose to keep to themselves, are now a potential source of conflict. Dig deep enough, every man has a skeleton, even if that skeleton is his own backbone. When revealing this type of information, the conflict that occurs in courts is being abused to create a conflict between the Jury and the Accused in order to achieve a "Guilty" verdict, based simply on the Difference of Opinion. Has anyone heard of Law & Order writers getting investigated by Authority for searching for "how to murder your wife", when they are looking for show material? Even in this case, the "evidence" of planning to commit a crime has been incorrectly interpreted. Googling "how many calories in taco bell" does not mean "intent to consume taco bell food products".

Surveillance is NOT a tool to keep us safe.
    Surveillance IS a means to Crush Dissent.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

If you don't like to be tracked then don't leave a trail.

Here is the thing... Our current IT infrastructure sux... with the current get up we are targets at a road side circus in the shooters alley game...

If this asswipe was premeditating this, he deserves to bear the weight of the crime. However there should be better investigative resources available than snooping on your digital life. That is the easy road.

Personally, I can't wait for a distributed internet, like maid-safe wants to bring.... break the shackles of oppression and monitoring (I know I am already on "the list" for looking up Tor and all the other comments I make, so might not make it til a distributed internet blesses us)... and a distributed internet might make it harder to catch someone like this, IF HE INTENDED TO KILL HIS KID (ytbd, but looks like it) so, it makes them work harder to prove his guilt...

Is the monitoring and raping of privacy scary.... 1,000%. And no excuse makes it ok... Is premeditated murder of your 22 month old kid sick and twisted? absofuckinglutely. But let's have them do some real work, instead of thought monitoring....
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    If you don't like to be tracked then don't leave a trail.
    Do you know how many people do not have any idea how to do that?

Of course, these same people truly desire to have someone else tell them what to think because thinking for themselves proves to be just too damn difficult. They think the elimination of privacy is a good thing. They think that elimination of privacy is "so what", now they can talk to their friends on fedbook! They can be shown ads for stuff they are interested in! They think Privacy is a consequence of being cut off from the rest of the world and they have to give it all up to be a part of the world. Rant is aimed at them, not you.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Of course there is also the (slight?) possibility that the investigators will create incriminating logs out of thin air.