Thread: For Independence Day, HBO is rerunning John Adams, and I am making Bananas Foster

For Independence Day, HBO is rerunning John Adams, and I am making Bananas Foster

Just a heads-up. I think they do every year. Good show! That is the extent of our Independence Day celebration.

I do have some bananas about to turn, so I'll be making Bananas Foster. It's very easy. This is the original Brennan's recipe. It's not really necessary to flambe it.

• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 cup banana liqueur (you can substitute triple sec)
    • 4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
    • 1/4 cup dark rum
    • 4 scoops vanilla ice cream

Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum. When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.
    Yum. It's easy to overcook the bananas, and that is not so yum.
    Last edited by Lucille; 07-04-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We were going to go to the lake this weekend, but it's raining. I love Monsoon season, but not on the lake.

What are you guys doing?
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Sounds good.

I'm drinking boxed wine, taking a dip in the pool and shooting off some fireworks with the neighbors later. Husband cooked some kind of weird pot roast. He boiled an eye of round with carrots, celery and a bunch of different kinds of chili peppers ~ it stinks and it doesn't taste very good either. I usually have a party but with our yard torn up, I'm just not in the mood and the husband has to go to work anyway.

Painted the first coat on my deck. Nap then live acoustic tunes and fireworks at the park.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	2734
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

LOL Sorry to hear about the roast, Suz. I hate when that happens. I think I'll be making white chicken chili today too. I have some chicken carcasses in the freezer taking up space, and I need to break in my pressure cooker (the mention of which just now probably got me on a(nother) watch list). We would love to have a pool but, being in the mountains, I think we'd have to go with an enclosed one to make it worth it. Whatcha doing in your yard that it's all torn up? DH is working too, doing paperwork.

Kathy, that baby is just darling!
    --Albert J. Nock

Speaking as someone who has no special reverence for the founders, I thought that John Adams miniseries was really good, and well worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    LOL Sorry to hear about the roast, Suz. I hate when that happens. I think I'll be making white chicken chili today too. I have some chicken carcasses in the freezer taking up space, and I need to break in my pressure cooker (the mention of which just now probably got me on a(nother) watch list). We would love to have a pool but, being in the mountains, I think we'd have to go with an enclosed one to make it worth it. Whatcha doing in your yard that it's all torn up? DH is working too, doing paperwork.

Kathy, that baby is just darling!
    Oh my husband's retaining wall project, there's a thread on it in open discussion called shameless brag post. I love white chili and bananas . Can I come over for dinner? I'll bring a box of wine (Franzia Chillable Red~only the best) and fireworks.

Kathy does have an adorable (grand?)baby.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i'm putting in 110 octane leaded race gas in my 1070 BOSS 302 Mustang and go rip up some pavement for a few hours today...

BBQ later...

watch the Mariners rip the White sox....

chillin'.....

John Adams! Banana's Foster! Beautiful Baby! This thread is a winner!

We're doing a BBQ (Smoked Brisket with Texas BBQ sauce) on the Lake tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed it doesn't rain.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    i'm putting in 110 octane leaded race gas in my 1070 BOSS 302 Mustang and go rip up some pavement for a few hours today...

BBQ later...

watch the Mariners rip the White sox....

chillin'.....
    Haul ass...

I'm trying to watch my diet today but reading about tasty things shouldn't hurt.

I've got the channel set to Turner Classic Movies. They are playing "The Devil's Disciple" at the moment. It's a great movie where a Patriot and a Black Sheep trade roles and kick some butt for Independence.

Went to set off some fireworks but my dog started freaking out and I had to come home. WTF? That dog can sleep through an action movie with all kinds of explosions no problem....one bottle rocket and he loses his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Went to set off some fireworks but my dog started freaking out and I had to come home. WTF? That dog can sleep through an action movie with all kinds of explosions no problem....one bottle rocket and he loses his mind.
    My dog is deaf now, which is good for her on this day. She could always tell the difference between TV explosions and real ones when she could hear--that's probably a good thing.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
    -- John Adams
    --Albert J. Nock

As good as a day gets. Worked a half day. Helped with some side dishes when I got home. Went to a friends house and had a great time floating in the salt pool. Good food. Loved watching the law beakers fireworks. Only cops I saw were the boat police that had pulled a pontoon. Got my ass back home by 10pm to watch fireworks on the hill close to home. Now here I sit. Made it. Safe. Good day.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Got banned from a cop-love facebook page for asking a few questions. Shocking.

https://www.facebook.com/stopthecophaters

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Got banned from a cop-love facebook page for asking a few questions. Shocking.

https://www.facebook.com/stopthecophaters
    LOL

Went to the butcher shop , the hardware store then the Mother in Laws , drank my Grandson's beer and watched the Nephew's fireworks over my bluegill,redear pond there. I asked the Mrs if she was going to thank me for taking her to the fireworks show @ her Mom's since she is always complaining I do not take her out often enough , she gave me the finger .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Went to the butcher shop , the hardware store then the Mother in Laws , drank my Grandson's beer and watched the Nephew's fireworks over my bluegill,redear pond there. I asked the Mrs if she was going to thank me for taking her to the fireworks show @ her Mom's since she is always complaining I do not take her out often enough , she gave me the finger .
    That wasn't very nice.
    "The Patriarch"

I have the Adams miniseries on DVD somewhere. Excellent show. Plus the guy who played Jefferson also plays Stannis on Game of Thrones.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"