Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Acts Of Kindness...

Thumbs up Random Acts Of Kindness...

I would like to start a thread like this because even with all the negativity and evil that surrounds us daily, a random act of kindness make all the bad seem insignificant.

Random Act of Kindness in South Dakota Walmart Goes Viral
    https://gma.yahoo.com/random-act-kin...172751958.html

I personally, like to do random acts of kindness--especially when I am feeling down and out. It always picks up my spirits.

Yesterday: I randomly paid for the person behind me on the toll road.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't see this thread until today. I think random acts of kindness are important, there's so much bad news out there it reflects poorly on humanity but I think most people are basically good. I also think that when you put kindness out into the world it spreads and that's a good thing for our cause. With all the ugliness being regurgitated in the media (which I think is by design, btw - TPTB need us to feel scared and insecure), people need to experience the goodness of people to offset that.

Here's a list of wonderful things strangers have done for me this week that I'm grateful for...

1. The guy in the grocery store who helped me dig out the watermelon I wanted - it was near the bottom and I couldn't reach it without climbing in the bin.
    2. The lady who discreetly pointed out the toilet paper stuck to my shoe.
    3. The old man in Sams Club who politely listened to my gibberish while we waited in the check out line.
    4. The guy at the Auto Zone who put in my new tail light. It's his job...but still, he did it with a good attitude.
    5. The bag boy at Publix who always tells me I look pretty (even when I don't). He's "special", btw, and says that to all the women which I think makes it even more awesome.
    6. I would also like to give props to every fellow traveler I encountered on the road this week. I didn't get honked at or flipped off once and I know I deserved it at least a couple of times.
    7. The cashier at Kohls who hooked me up with a 15% off coupon, accepted my expired Kohls cash, and gave me the heads up that they will not longer do that starting August 1st. (bummer)
    8. The guy who works at Game Stop who chased me out to my car to give me a free Skylanders poster. (He also helped me find the Skylander I was looking for - son's birthday next week.)
    9. The guy at the Quik Trip (gas station) who gave me a penny.
    10. And a special pat on the back for all the people who hold doors, elevators, smile back and wave while I'm going about my day.

oh and an honorable mention goes to...

the lady giving out free samples of pie at Sams Club, I hit her up more than I should have. She was very nice and even dipped out of the middle of the pie so I could try all the flavors. It was a mixed fruit pie ~ peach, cherry, blueberry and apple. How awesome is that?!?!

Suzanna, great post! I couldn't agree with you more.

A guy pushed his car to the gas station because he ran out of gas and he also forgot his wallet, so I gave him $20.00 to fill up his tank to get him where he needed to go. He wanted my address so he could repay me, I told him just help another person out when they need it.
    Last edited by donnay; 07-06-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: get=great
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I do things when I am able, generally helping the homeless.

Buying them food, beer, giving them a few cigarettes. It means a lot when it is 110 degrees with humidity.

If I'm able, I help anyone in need. If they help another, that is great.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    I do things when I am able, generally helping the homeless.

Buying them food, beer, giving them a few cigarettes. It means a lot when it is 110 degrees with humidity.

If I'm able, I help anyone in need. If they help another, that is great.
    When I worked in downtown Atlanta I used to give the homeless food and odd jobs for cash. It was pretty funny when I started dating my husband, he was like how do all these bums know your name?

Here's to all the folks who smile and wave at an old longhair driving a rattle clap '56 but turn up their noses when I drive the euro sports car....

I gave my daughter some food yesterday. She seemed to have enjoyed that. It really is the little things that count.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    I gave my daughter some food yesterday. She seemed to have enjoyed that. It really is the little things that count.
    What a Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Here's to all the folks who smile and wave at an old longhair driving a rattle clap '56 but turn up their noses when I drive the euro sports car....
    That's because a rattle clap '56 is cooler than a euro sports car but I would wave at both.

I went to the "cool" comic book store today and bought a comic I didn't want because the guy that owned the shop made it and seemed very proud of it, I couldn't say no. I also found Daredevil with 1st and 2nd appearances of Typhoid Mary, YAY! Weird thing tho, I found a copy of Huck Finn stashed in the comics, how did actual literature get in there. The comic book guy didn't know where it came from either.

Huck Finn has the brown cover, second over

Concord: Anonymous man picks up Grocery Outlet tabs
    By Rick Hurd Contra Costa Times

CONCORD -- The lines in the three aisles at a Grocery Outlet market varied Thursday afternoon, sometimes three-deep, other times empty save for a single customer. They brought their groceries, and occasionally an additional bag bound for a food drive.

Then they plunked down their money, a step some didn't have to take on Tuesday.

"It broke my heart not to be here," said Josh Bream, 31, a Concord schoolteacher said, with a laugh. "I didn't get to reap the rewards."

The "rewards" were a free load of groceries, courtesy of a mystery man who showed up at the market at 1840 Willow Pass Road. Alas, that didn't happen Thursday.

Tuesday afternoon around 4 p.m., this man just comes on up to the register and says, 'I'm gonna buy groceries for people,'" store supervisor Jamie Flores said.

And that's what he did. The mystery man, in his late 20s or early 30s, spent approximately $600 for about a half-dozen customers that went through the line. She said she knew more about him than the public did but didn't want to reveal too much, a small tip of the cap to the man's privacy in light of what he did.

His timing was pretty interesting, too.

"It's crazy, because it's right in the middle of our food drive," Flores said. "It's called Independence From Hunger. The customers can buy a bag and we put it into the bin and it goes out to families."

A year ago, the food drive raised more than $300,000 nationally.

"He contributed to that too," Flores said.

Nobody seems to know whether the mystery man's appearance is a one-time-only appearance, or if he has plans for the same store or similar ones. But even once seemed more than enough to those who experienced it, Flores said.

"It was just such an incredible, random act of kindness," she said. "It really gets you thinking, 'Can I do more?' People talk about it. He did it."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news...worth-hundreds

When I went to the bank this week the teller dug through her stash behind the counter to get me some cotton candy Dum-Dums, the basket on my side only had mystery flavor, root beer (gross!) and orange. She hooked me up with 4 of them -Yay!

The guy at my favorite veggie stand let me buy some stuff after he had closed. He already had everything covered when I pulled up - he helped me find the best tomatoes and even helped me load my stuff. Yay!

A sheriff moved in our neighborhood and I wave back (I even use all five fingers) when he waves at me. Does that count?

I gave my kids vaccines so they won't infect other random kids.

This thread is Random Acts of Kindness...not Random Acts of Violence.

I took 4 14/15 year old boys to Six Flags and I only lost my temper once but it was okay, they laughed at me.

I'll be honest, by three o'clock I parked my ass by the wave pool and told 'em to come and find me when they were ready to go.

My youngest son (who turned 14 today- Yay Joseph!) did something really sweet at Six Flags. There was this little boy (I think he said he was 7) and his dad in line behind us for Thunder River. He was a real sweet little guy and kept trying to talk to the older boys. By the time it was our turn the little guy was telling Joseph that he wanted to sit next to him on the boat. So Joseph said okay, we figured we'd all be on the same boat, 5 of us + those 2=7 and the boat holds 8. Well we got up there and they put us on separate boats. When we were getting on the ride, Joseph looked back at the little boy (who was pretty disappointed) and informed us that he wanted to ride with the little kid. So my 14 year old son left his friends (this was his birthday celebration, btw) and went to ride with a little boy he just met because he hated to see him sad. I love that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I took 4 14/15 year old boys to Six Flags and I only lost my temper once but it was okay, they laughed at me.

I'll be honest, by three o'clock I parked my ass by the wave pool and told 'em to come and find me when they were ready to go.

My youngest son (who turned 14 today- Yay Joseph!) did something really sweet at Six Flags. There was this little boy (I think he said he was 7) and his dad in line behind us for Thunder River. He was a real sweet little guy and kept trying to talk to the older boys. By the time it was our turn the little guy was telling Joseph that he wanted to sit next to him on the boat. So Joseph said okay, we figured we'd all be on the same boat, 5 of us + those 2=7 and the boat holds 8. Well we got up there and they put us on separate boats. When we were getting on the ride, Joseph looked back at the little boy (who was pretty disappointed) and informed us that he wanted to ride with the little kid. So my 14 year old son left his friends (this was his birthday celebration, btw) and went to ride with a little boy he just met because he hated to see him sad. I love that kid.

Happy Birthday Joseph!
    <---Great name. In my travels there isn't a Joseph, I have met, who wasn't a kind soul.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I give money to a homeless guy near me. His name is Tim and I've been helping him out for 3 years. He has diabetes and arthritis so it's hard for him to get work. He's trying to get disability. There are several of us who help him out so he at least is able to eat and get shelter on a semi regular basis.

Thumbs up Birthday Reveler Leaves $1K Tip for Waiter, Says 'Pay it Forward'

Birthday Reveler Leaves $1K Tip for Waiter, Says 'Pay it Forward'

By JOANNA PRISCO
    16 hours ago

A birthday reveler left an unexpected gift for his waiter when he wrote out a gigantic tip 10 times the amount of the total dinner bill.

Michael Shafts was working a routine shift last week at The Ginger Man, a wine bar and restaurant in Albany, N.Y., where he has waited tables for the last four years, when one of his patrons left him $1,000 gratuity for his good service.

"Pay it forward. My birthday present to me!" wrote the diner on the receipt, then left with his wife in a limousine, according to The Ginger Man manager Julie Byron.

Continued...

A few weeks ago, I was coming home from a trip (visit to Monticello and a meditation retreat). It was a fairly long, two-leg flight that began the second leg with a long delay on the tarmac while they changed a tire. So by the time my flight arrived at the Tucson airport, I was tired. I found my car in the parking lot. And the battery was dead. Ugh. So I found a bicycle security guard and asked if I could get a jump. He said "sure" but then said "oh wait . . . " Turns out that the security vehicle with the jump pack had been dispatched to the runway to overseee the unloading of a plane full of illegal immigrant kids and wouldn't be back for more than an hour at least. I hadn't heard anything about this illegal alien kid thing because I had been incommunicado for a week. Anyway, I slogged back to the parking lot and started trying to flag down other travelers for help. It didn't take long for me to find a guy who helped me start my car. just as we were finishing, the bicycle security guard comes riding up with the jump pack. He had ridden all the way out to the runway where the security vehicle was, grabbed the jump pack and then tracked me down in the parking lot to help me. And all with a smile. It was WAY beyond the call of duty in my opinion.

Now as it turns out, I am good friends with the General Counsel for the airport. I sent her an email detailing this story and how pleased I was with the treatment I got from the security guard and asked her to make sure the right people knew about it. She promised to do so and thanked me for taking the time to give the positive feedback. Smiles all around.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

My husband was caught in really bad traffic and when he got to the hold up he found a teenage boy who's car was broken down. He pulled over and helped the kid push his car out of the road. While he was standing there talking to the kid our mechanic (and dear friend) pulled up, he thought maybe my husband was broke down or there had been a fender bender and looked at the kids car for him. The kid had it towed to our friends house and he repaired the car. He didn't do it for free but my husband said he went to the store, fixed it right away and only charged him $30.00 for labor.

It was raining hard the other day. I stopped and offered a couple of teenage girls a ride.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    It was raining hard the other day. I stopped and offered a couple of teenage girls a ride.
    What a guy! Did they accept your kind offer?

I was driving my short 3.5 mile drive home from work one night around 11:30pm. I do not carry a cell or smart phone. I was thinking what would I do if some pedestrian walked out in front of me and I hit them. I thought I would go to a house and ring the bell or bang on the door and have that person get help. Keep in mind this drive only takes me a couple of minutes but this thought was on my mind. I drive through a park. Well don't you know that on that night a guy was laying in the middle of the road in the park. I could have easily run over him. He was laying in the road crying. He could not walk he was climbing some rock wall and fell and hurt one of his legs or ankles. I got out of my vehicle and helped him get into my vehicle then transported him to the hospital per his request. I assisted him into the ER and left. This was pretty freaky.

A couple of weeks later I was driving to work where they have a very strict tardy policy. I was wondering what I would have done had I been on my way to work instead of on my way home when that incident happened. Would I have been as willing to give him a ride?

i did everybody a favor the last few days by staying home and getting $#@!ed up...other than that..

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    What a guy! Did they accept your kind offer?
    No, as a matter of fact, mall security recognized me and escorted me off the property.

But that won't deter me, I'll try "Random Acts Of Kindness" again soon.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I was driving my short 3.5 mile drive home from work one night around 11:30pm. I do not carry a cell or smart phone. I was thinking what would I do if some pedestrian walked out in front of me and I hit them. I thought I would go to a house and ring the bell or bang on the door and have that person get help. Keep in mind this drive only takes me a couple of minutes but this thought was on my mind. I drive through a park. Well don't you know that on that night a guy was laying in the middle of the road in the park. I could have easily run over him. He was laying in the road crying. He could not walk he was climbing some rock wall and fell and hurt one of his legs or ankles. I got out of my vehicle and helped him get into my vehicle then transported him to the hospital per his request. I assisted him into the ER and left. This was pretty freaky.

A couple of weeks later I was driving to work where they have a very strict tardy policy. I was wondering what I would have done had I been on my way to work instead of on my way home when that incident happened. Would I have been as willing to give him a ride?
    I am sure you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    No, as a matter of fact, mall security recognized me and escorted me off the property.

But that won't deter me, I'll try "Random Acts Of Kindness" again soon.
    Damn Mall Cops...don't let the turkeys get you down. Keep trying, eventually you'll lure rescue a nubile young lady in distress.

I went to Sams Club today and my cashier was just adorable. When he scanned my membership card and saw my name he started singing "Oh Suzanna", LOL. It's corny but I love it when people do that.

When I went for my run, everyone waved at me.

Mr. Dewey (my elderly across the street neighbor) weed whacked around my mailbox. I ran out of string and my mailbox was looking kind of ghetto. I thanked him with a beer and one of my husband's cigars, he liked that.

The garbage man got out of his truck and waved traffic around him on the curvy road I live off of, how considerate.

Firefighters finish mowing lawn for wife whose husband collapsed and died half way through the job and leave note for her

By James Nye for MailOnline

Published: 14:10 EST, 30 August 2014

In a huge act of kindness, the firefighters of Bayton, Texas finished mowing the lawn for a wife whose husband had collapsed and died of a heart attack half way through the job.

On Tuesday, paramedics responded to a 911 call for a man who fell ill while doing the chore.

However, after they had taken the man to hospital firefighters returned and began to mow the lawn and when they had finished they put the lawnmower away and locked up the garage.

They also left a note behind to comfort the man's wife.

Continued...

Thumbs up Walmart cashier uses own money for elderly man who couldn’t afford groceries

Walmart cashier uses own money for elderly man who couldn’t afford groceries

Published December 10, 2014
    FoxNews.com

A Walmart cashier reportedly dug into her own pocket for money to pick up the grocery tab for an elderly man who couldn't afford his food.

Jenny Karpen, a new employee at an upstate New York store giant, was checking out customers when an "older gentleman" entered her lane, reports News 10 ABC.

“He was getting his groceries. Some of it was food, and some of it was for his pet," Karpen told the station.

After she had finished ringing up the items, Karpen turned to the man who handed her some money.

“And he was like, ‘Is it enough?” Karpen said. “And I was like, ‘No, it’s not.’ So he was trying to take stuff back.”

But the new cashier stopped the customer before he could remove items from his bags. She claims she “felt really bad” and didn’t want him to go home hungry. So she took $40 from her own pocket and handed it to the man to use as payment.

Karpen never got the customer's name but once the man left, the next customer behind him offered the cashier money to reimburse her for her good holiday-time deed. But it is against Walmart policy to take money from customers so Karpen declined.

“There should be more people like that in the world,” Jamie Cobb, Karpen’s manager at Walmart told News 10. “We just need to clone Jenny. We need to have Jenny’s one through ten.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...lar+Content%29

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast