Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: At Walgreen, renouncing corporate citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Not if it is in violation of a public law that is just in its very nature, which in this case it is.

See also: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...S10/140709971#

It is even more sad that so many confuse the lawlessness of anarcho-capitalism for libertarianism.
    Your point was clear to me, and so long as the quote from the CEO or whomever it was and so long as the laws you linked are true, it is obvious (to me) that it (CEO quote) was an admission of breaking current US law. I disagree though that it is a just law, and I don't correlate advocating or participating in acting against unjust laws as lawlessness. Just a thought, wouldn't the transaction of hiring an accountant with the sole intent to lower your tax burden qualify as breaking the law, as described? I can slap together a 1040ez just fine, but I don't have an understanding of tax law good enough to maximize my return, so I hire an accountant. I'm a devious bastard!, on the same level as the Walgreens CEO.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Source?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iIO8eerTXSI2Fw

do you have any idea what forum you are on ? i admit i had a typo , hit the 5 in place of the 3 , should have been 130 , not 150 countries .
    Last edited by ILUVRP; 07-06-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post

5. No, I am merely pointing out established case law with respect to corporations attempting to skirt their tax liabilities.
    Am I skirting my tax liability by incorporating in a state other than where I conduct business?
    Seriously, the state has done an excellent job getting people to focus on those entities whose actions are benign, rather than their own practice of extortion.
    Illinois is just upset that their game of "monopoly", using stolen money, is ending.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVRP View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iIO8eerTXSI2Fw

do you have any idea what forum you are on ? i admit i had a typo , hit the 5 in place of the 3 , should have been 130 , not 150 countries .
    I like how the link you posted says this:
    Most of these — 549 — are small sites, sometimes very, very small.

In fact, some sites appear to be double-counted. There is Spangdahlem Air Force base in Germany, which houses the 52nd Fighter Wing and is counted as a large site. But a separate “base” on the list is the sprawling Spangdahlem Waste Annex, all of three acres, with four buildings totaling 6,500 square feet.
    and this:

What’s going on here? The answer is that the list essentially tracks with places where the United States has a substantial diplomatic presence. (The United States has diplomatic relations with about 190 countries.)

In other words, Paul is counting Marine guards and military attaches as part of a vast expanse of U.S. military power around the globe. (In fact, under Paul’s logic, dozens of other countries are “occupying” Washington when they send attaches and other military personnel to their embassies here.) But this document indicates that only 11 countries actually house more than 1,000 U.S. military personnel.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Your point was clear to me, and so long as the quote from the CEO or whomever it was and so long as the laws you linked are true, it is obvious (to me) that it (CEO quote) was an admission of breaking current US law. I disagree though that it is a just law, and I don't correlate advocating or participating in acting against unjust laws as lawlessness. Just a thought, wouldn't the transaction of hiring an accountant with the sole intent to lower your tax burden qualify as breaking the law, as described? I can slap together a 1040ez just fine, but I don't have an understanding of tax law good enough to maximize my return, so I hire an accountant. I'm a devious bastard!, on the same level as the Walgreens CEO.
    They are not breaking any law. The merger has nothing to do with avoiding taxation, although the relocation of their legal domicile probably does. There is nothing illegal about that, and such a move should be applauded.

I like how the link you posted says this:

and this:
    i was just posting what ron paul said .

They are not breaking any law. The merger has nothing to do with avoiding taxation, although the relocation of their legal domicile probably does. There is nothing illegal about that, and such a move should be applauded.
    I'm 100% with you that they should be able to do as they please, for whatever reason they please.

Mr. Wasson isn’t hiding the fact the company is considering the move for tax reasons. On a call with investors and analysts last week, he plainly said that company leaders were examining “what the structure could do as far as our effective tax rate.”
    After re-reading the quote it isn't nearly as open and shut as what I had thought, i.e. he didn't say the sole purpose was to avoid taxes, rather that they are examining what the tax implications of moving would be.

Just because an action should be applauded, does not mean that it is legal under US law.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Am I skirting my tax liability by incorporating in a state other than where I conduct business?

The use of the word "skirting" is the tell. He thinks that they're somehow cheating if they act in a manner designed to minimize the taxes they pay.

i was just posting what ron paul said .
    Ron Paul is often wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    LIberal bull$#@! alert. If you really love America maybe you can pay mine, too?
    Because America is the State and Federal Governments and not the people and land. You'd do best to remember this, serf.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Because America is the State and Federal Governments and not the people and land. You'd do best to remember this, serf.
    Heck, serfs didn't have to pay as much as the "America Lovers" do.

i wish all big money people/companies that don't love america would take their money and leave america .
    Do you not understand? That is exactly what we are doing. Did you not comprehend the meaning of this story?

Wish granted!

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, a merger between two companies that each have over 100,000 employees is based only on reducing one of the company's taxes

They each have revenues north of $50 billion per year, but this is only about reducing the tax liabilities of one them...right...
    This is very true. It is hardly necessary to marge with an overseas company in order to implement an effective tax strategy leveraging lower overseas tax rates. Look at Apple. Did they have to merge with some company in Ireland to take advantage of Ireland's favorable climate? No.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Do you not understand? That is exactly what we are doing. Did you not comprehend the meaning of this story?

Wish granted!
    good , like i said they remind me of draft evaders , they want all the things america offers but don't want to help pay for them , to hell with them , let them go .

its very sad to see what is happening in america , i feel very sorry for the country that my grand kids and great grand kids will grow up in , where the only thing that matters is money .

corporations are not people , show me where in the cotus it says so .

i consider companies that would move hq so they can make more money like i do people like limbaugh/cheney/ ted nugent , they are takers and don't want to give anything .

i think companies like walgreens would move to a 3rd world country in central africa next to cut taxes a few percent .

as far as your last question , my answer is yes , i would prefer our goverment to get their tax money other than the swiss .

but i guess the swiss will pay to protect walgreens interests , pay to build their roads , airports , parks , their under payed workers med cost .

like i said screw walgreens and people that want to move to avoid taxes , if walgreens are people take away their citizenship.

On corporate personhood:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-200-year-saga

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...re-people-too/

http://morallowground.com/2011/01/21...ney-is-speech/

Oh, and money is speech...

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

good , like i said they remind me of draft evaders
    That's a good thing. Right?

good , like i said
    Good! Like I said!

Look, the emigrants from, let's take the example of southern Italy, this last century, to the US especially, and also Australia, etc. (anywhere but southern Italy!) were not leaving because they hated Italy. They loved, and still love, their beautiful homeland. They simply could not live in that corrupt, stagnant, bureaucratic, taxophilic nightmare.

The Irish who fled Ireland 1845-1852 were not expressing contempt nor disloyalty to their beloved Ireland.

Ludwig von Mises still very much loved Austria in 1934 as he packed his bags and left forever.

You just do not understand.

America the place may have problems. It may be in decline and political catastrophe. But America the idea lives on. It lives on in Singapore, in Hong Kong, in Mumbai, and especially in Shenzhen. America is dead. Long live America.

From one of Ron Paul's favorite movies:

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    That's a good thing. Right?
    i guess it depends if you love america , if it were a good thing we would all be speaking german/japanese .

btw i did disagree with vietnam/iraq/afgh but stayed in the military .

we need more people that love america than their party .

i guess it depends if you love america , if it were a good thing we would all be speaking german/japanese .

The only possible way that you could say that draft dodging is unloving to America would be by equating America with the regime that rules over it. If you instead equate America with the American people, then that same regime is, and always has been, America's greatest enemy.

I don't see why it should matter what language we speak. But if you mean to imply that you see some scenario where, absent the intervention of our federal government, the American people would find themselves ruled by a German or a Japanese regime, you're ludicrously deceived.

Wow. It was bad enough that you were supporting the "patriotism" of the armed robbery of taxation to support our corrupt government, but now you are supporting the slavery of the draft to enrich the military contractors. What part of liberty do you actually support?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The only possible way that you could say that draft dodging is unloving to America would be by equating America with the regime that rules over it. If you instead equate America with the American people, then that same regime is, and always has been, America's greatest enemy.

I don't see why it should matter what language we speak. But if you mean to imply that you see some scenario where, absent the intervention of our federal government, the American people would find themselves ruled by a German or a Japanese regime, you're ludicrously deceived.
    i look back at ww2 and wonder how things would have been with the modern way of thinking , if companies in america decided to leave to avoid taxes we would have had a hard time winning the war , i do remember selling and buying war bond stamps at 10c each to suport our effort .

by what i see now with a lot of people not supporting america we could have lost .

i guess the potus at the time could be called a regime .

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Wow. It was bad enough that you were supporting the "patriotism" of the armed robbery of taxation to support our corrupt government, but now you are supporting the slavery of the draft to enrich the military contractors. What part of liberty do you actually support?
    show me a government in the world that is not corrupt , you think people spend 10's of millions of dollars for a congress/pres job because they love america .

i do agree that military contractors get rich off wars , so do banks/oil companies/all mfg of things/wall street , but many members of this forum would like that as they love to see companies make a lot of money , no matter the cost to america .

Every dollar that flows into the hands of government perpetuates war, corruption, and tyranny. The beast will only stop its rampage when it has starved to death. Therefore I applaud every dollar that is kept in private hands, even if I don't particularly like the private hands it is in. Go Walgreens!
    Is it truly in "Private Hands" It's a partnership of graft, corruption, racketeering, influence, bribery, theft.

Do you have reading comprehension problems?

The economic substance is a mergers of two large companies. Alliance Boots has its headquarters in Switzerland.

A merged company has every legal right to determine its new legal headquarters will be, even if the only motivation for having in one place is to avoid taxes.
    It's not a merger, it's a buyout ...last months coverage by the WSJ. BTW, KKR (USUAL SUSPECTS) is involved. As you can see, Walgreens striving for being the 'Global Borg of Drug Dealing.

Walgreen to Spend $6.7 Billion on Alliance Boots Stake - WSJ

Alliance-Boots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_Boots

Alliance Boots buys South American drug store chain - Chicago Tribune

Casa Saba to sell pharma retail arm to Alliance Boots for $638 mln | Reuters

I wonder who truly writes all these Fascist tax laws and just who does benefit? Since Washington DC is FOR SALE, the money goes to those that keep the Fascist-RICO scheme going. I want that exact same 35% tax bracket as the corporations get. Give be all the tax/monetary codes "they" receive. I want all the writeoffs, depreciation, every single expense, charge offs, and the huge welfare checks refunds for whatever reason or tax welfare written.

Give me what they get, no more, no less, let be expense everything the corporations are allowed to do... by year end, I'll probably be paying less than 10% in tax. The system is designed to burden and enslave the individual while giving the racketeers all the power and huge breaks. It's just stealing and hurting one group/individual, and giving those stolen funds to enriching another, fine... give me the exact same policies... I guarantee, I will cut my current tax liabilities in half, probably cut by 2/3s if not paying even less in taxes. Oh, and one more thing, when I come up with; profiting schemes, over-leveraging myself, and gambling for profit, when it all collapses... let's have the public bail me out by government/FEDERAL RESERVE racketeering force. Snapshot on how breaks are given on Debt/Inflation, and not adjusted for inflation-currency devaluation... of course is another hidden tax.

ShadowStats Alternate Inflation Charts

National Deficits...

FY2013: $680.276 billion
    FY2012: $1.089193 trillion
    FY2011: $1.296791 trillion
    FY2010: $1.294204 trillion
    FY2009: $1.415724 trillion
    FY2008: $454,806 billion

Let's grab this e.g. General Electric's 35% corporate tax rate over 7 years, well it turns out to be an effective 3.1% tax rate. While GE received all these tax breaks and corporate welfare, Fascist government brought their CEO/chairman Jeffery Immelt to head Bathhouse Barry's 'Council of Economic Advisors'. Well, we witnessed what was advised, more for both of them(money) and less of everything for everyone else, all the while Immelt's bethemoth shipped 10,000s of jobs overseas.

How GE Paid A Total Of $5 Billion In Domestic Taxes Between 2002 And 2009 On $639 Billion In Domestic Revenues | Zero Hedge

After Getting Bailed Out By American Taxpayers, General Electric Pays Zero U.S. Taxes, Pretending that All of Its Profits are Overseas | Zero Hedge

On GE's Pathological Aversion To Paying Taxes | Zero Hedge

Obama Picks Jeffrey Immelt, GE CEO, To Run New Jobs-Focused Panel As GE Sends Jobs Overseas, Pays Little In Taxes
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 07-11-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

BTW, since I mentioned KKR involved in these corporate foreign operations... here's the latest coincidence; former Afghani Drug runner, CIA global subversive, CUNY professor flunky...

KKR | David H. Petraeus
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123