Thread: Antarctic Sea Ice Growing Despite Global Warming Warnings

Antarctic Sea Ice Growing Despite Global Warming Warnings

Newsmax

Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:36 AM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

The sea ice coverage around Antarctica over the weekend marked a record high, with the ice surrounding the continent measuring at 2.07 million square kilometers, according to an environmentalist and author who says the ice there has actually been increasing since 1979 despite continued warnings of global warming.

The new record was posted for the first time by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s online record, The Cryosphere Today, early Sunday morning.

It's not apparent if the record actually occurred on Friday or Saturday, says Harold Ambler on his blog, Talking About the Weather.

Ambler is a journalist and author of the book "Don't Sell Your Coat: Surprising Truths About Climate Change."

"The previous record anomaly for Southern Hemisphere sea ice area was 1.840 million square kilometers and occurred on December 20, 2007," said Ambler. Meanwhile, he pointed out, global sea ice area on Sunday was standing at 0.991 million square kilometers above average, a figure he arrived at by adding anomalies for the North and South hemispheres.

While early models predicted the sea ice would decrease because of global warming, other models are showing that the opposite is happening around Antarctica, where sea ice growth is increasing.

"A freshening of the waters surrounding the southernmost continent as well as the strengthening of the winds circling it were both theorized as explanations for the steady growth of Antarctica’s sea ice during the period of satellite measurement," said Ambler.

However, he pointed out that climatologists have discounted the importance and growth of the Antarctic sea ice.

According to Walt Meier, formerly of the National Snow and Ice Data Center and currently of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, most of the Antarctic sea ice does not survive between years, and it's less significant to the Earth's climate than is the ice around the Arctic.

Meanwhile, Ambler said that the growth of the Antarctic sea ice is providing "a public relations problem, at a minimum, for those warning of global warming’s menace."

During the past 18 months, global sea ice "has seen its most robust 18-month period of the last 13 years, maintaining, on average, a positive anomaly for an 18-month period for the first time since 2001," he wrote.

In addition, Ambler said, the South Pole's temperature has been dropping over the past 40 years.

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ant..._code=eexbjxdw

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Temp changes are important except when they drop. The amount of sea ice is important except when it increases.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

We gotta do something or else all those polar bears will freeze today.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    We gotta do something or else all those polar bears will freeze today.
    hahaha....polar bears are in the arctic. For some reason this reminds me of a possible "Encyclopedia Brown" mystery.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    hahaha....polar bears are in the arctic. For some reason this reminds me of a possible "Encyclopedia Brown" mystery.
    you mean global warming already killed off all the polar bears in Antarctica?! When will govt stop this madness!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Oh my, that's even worse, just imagine all the baby penguins who wouldn't get the chance to make it out of the shell. I am going to leave my car running tonight in their memory.

GROWING?

You're $#@!ting me.

ARCTIC ICE VOLUME:

ANTARCTIC ICE VOLUME:

ANTARCTIC SEA SURFACE TEMP AND ICE EXTENT:

oooh wow... lets make a headline "Antarctic Sea Ice is Growing/Increasing"

LMAO

ANTARCTIC ICE MASS:

Ask yourself what is more significant:

the fact that just Antarctic ice (Arctic ice extent is decreasing at a faster rate btw) is covering slightly more area (extent) as it breaks up and becomes thinner over a warming southern ocean...
    (about 8% surface area gain over 25 years) ...look at the chart; 12 to 12.5 from 1979 to 2004

or

the fact that total VOLUME and MASS of ice is decreasing exponentially on both poles.
    (about 50% loss over 25 years) ...look at the chart... was 30,000 now 15,000

Growing my ass, that's called lying with statistics.

Look my liberty friends... if you don't want your government or global government to do anything about "anthropogenic" climate change... fine; I don't blame you. But don't use the wrong reasons to promote the right cause. Don't stick your head in the sand, feigning ignorance to the reality of sea ice loss or get on your high horse over whitewashed bull$#@! politicized junk science.

A thin film of ice spreading out over the southern ocean does not mean the poles aren't melting.

Without a doubt, global ice VOLUME AND MASS are decreasing globally; at an increasing rate on both poles.

Over the past 30 years:

Arctic Ice Mass is decreasing exponentially and is down 30%
    Arctic Ice Volume is decreasing exponentially and is down 30%
    Arctic Ice Area is decreasing exponentially and is down 40%
    Antarctic Ice Mass is decreasing exponentially and is down 50%
    Antarctic Ice Volume is decreasing exponentially and is down 50%

Antarctic Ice Area is indeed increasing... linearly, its up 8%

Glacier velocity is increasing and land ice is moving out onto the oceans faster than it can melt supposedly =

"Growing"
    Last edited by presence; 06-30-2014 at 04:05 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    http://talkingabouttheweather.wordpr...d-for-sea-ice/

Maybe you should report your data to Ambler.
    I posted in the comments there thanks!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I posted in the comments there thanks!

Please let us know what he responds. Thanx.