Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Ravenel to run against Lindsey Graham in the General

Thomas Ravenel to run against Lindsey Graham in the General

A wealthy libertarian-Republican celebrity looks to run against Lindsey Graham. He has some past baggage (convicted for cocaine use while a Ghouliani supporter). Can he pull off a Mark Sanford?

Thomas Ravenel (born August 11, 1962) is a South Carolina politician and former State Treasurer. He is the son of former South Carolina Congressman Arthur Ravenel, Jr.

He currently stars on the Bravo reality series Southern Charm.
    Ravenel ran for the U.S. Senate in 2004, seeking the seat left open when Fritz Hollings retired. He came in third in the Republican primary election. After Ravenel endorsed Republican Jim DeMint, DeMint went on to win the Republican runoff and the general election.
    Ravenel endorsed Ron Paul in the 2012 Republican primaries.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Ravenel
    Thomas Ravenel Makes His Move

LINDSEY GRAHAM’S WORST NIGHTMARE IS TAKING SHAPE …

Readers of this website have long known about former S.C. Treasurer Thomas Ravenel’s plans to challenge incumbent “Republican” Lindsey Graham in his bid for a third six-year term in the United States Senate.

Back in April, Ravenel made it clear he would throw his hat in the ring as an independent candidate for this seat in the event Graham won the “Republican” nomination.

Graham did win - and now a pair of mainstream media outlets are confirming Ravenel is taking the steps necessary to appear on the ballot in November. Meanwhile Graham’s allies are reportedly taking steps of their own to try and keep Ravenel off of the ballot.

According to The (Charleston, S.C.) Post and Courier , Ravenel is “collecting signatures to get on the November ballot for U.S. Senate against Republican incumbent Lindsey Graham.”

“We fully expect to get them,” Ravenel said of the signatures, 10,000 of which must be submitted to the S.C. Election Commission no later than July 15.
    “T-Rav” – star of Bravo’s Southern Charm reality show – faces an uphill climb in his political comeback, although he is expected to draw votes from libertarian-leaning Republicans as well as independent voters frustrated with the failure of the two-party system.
    Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/06/26/t...el-makes-move/

http://thomasravenel.com/

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/Thomasravenel
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-23-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An article by Thomas Ravenel:

Thomas Ravenel: “Heeding Eisenhower”
    AMERICA MUST RECALL THE WISDOM OF ITS FORMER PRESIDENT

By Thomas Ravenel

On January 17, 1961, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivered his farewell address to the American people. The speech contained several prescient warnings, including an admonition against mortgaging “the material assets of our grandchildren” in pursuit of our own “ease and convenience.”

With the national debt at $17.5 trillion, this advice has clearly gone unheeded – especially under the administrations of George W. Bush and Barack Obama. One reason? Bush and Obama also failed to heed Eisenhower’s warning against “the disastrous rise of misplaced power” in the hands of America’s military-industrial complex.
    As a country we must start asking (and answering) tough questions whenever we hear the war drums beating, chiefly: What are we fighting for? Does our national security depend on the outcome? Is our intervention worth the price that must be paid? Who among us will shoulder that burden? And who is set to profit from their sacrifice?

According to a recent Harvard University study, the cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is projected to total between $4-6 trillion. These conflicts have steered billions of dollars toward companies like Lockheed Martin, Halliburton, General Dynamics and Raytheon – but have accomplished very little of strategic value.
    We cannot criticize these countries for accepting free security any more than we can begrudge private companies for accepting huge defense contracts. They are simply taking what’s being given to them. Our beef must be with the American politicians cutting the deals — and cutting the checks.

America’s defense is a core function of government. But we are on the verge of permanently compromising it, and bankrupting future generations of taxpayers, by continuing to elect politicians who put the needs of the military-industrial complex ahead of the best interests of our Republic.
    More:
    Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/03/24/t...ng-eisenhower/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

He is obviously great on the issues.

But this is going to be tricky on multiple levels.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    He is obviously great on the issues.

But this is going to be tricky on multiple levels.
    If he gets on the ballot, it could get interesting. Can he bring in both Republican and Democrat votes?

Murkowski did it in Alaska...(with the huge difference that she was the incumbent.)

There are only 2 possible outcomes here...Graham wins anyway or the Democrat wins due to the split conservative ticket. It is inconceivable that whoever that Democrat is could be worse than Graham, in fact in the deep south there are a lot of semi-decent Dixiecrats, one of whom might be likely to win the Democratic nod in this race. I'm fine if that happens, because the overwhelming priority is that Graham lose.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    If he gets on the ballot, it could get interesting. Can he bring in both Republican and Democrat votes?

Murkowski did it in Alaska...(with the huge difference that she was the incumbent.)
    I shudder when I hear that name. I lost a lot of respect for Alaskans when that happened.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Graham needs to lose, I hope Thomas makes that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

If he gets on the ballot,Ravenel money bomb?
    I'm in.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    There are only 2 possible outcomes here...Graham wins anyway or the Democrat wins due to the split conservative ticket. It is inconceivable that whoever that Democrat is could be worse than Graham, in fact in the deep south there are a lot of semi-decent Dixiecrats, one of whom might be likely to win the Democratic nod in this race. I'm fine if that happens, because the overwhelming priority is that Graham lose.
    Cochran(R-MS) and Travis Childers(D-MS) are both fiscally weak, anti-amnesty southerners.

Brad Hutto(D-SC) and Lindsey Graham(R-SC) are both Chamber of Commerce candidates. Hutto is meant to be a mainstream Democrat. I guess he is okay on taxes and gun control. At least he won't be running the GOP foreign policy or Meet the Press or running to replace Chuck Hagel in 2017. Lindsey Graham could get picked as Defense Secretary by the 2016 Republican if it is not Rand. It would actually work politically in the short term. You get a conservative in his seat.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

"On the hot-button topic of same-sex marriage, he says government should not even be involved with marriage."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/thomas-rav...#ixzz35nG3Wzop

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Graham needs to lose, I hope Thomas makes that happen.
    This!

Let the liberal Democrat beat the liberal Republican and then fight to elect a conservative Republican in 2020.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    [Ravenal] has some past baggage (convicted for cocaine use while a Ghouliani supporter).
    The Ghouliani thing is FAR more alarming than the cocaine thing ... I wonder if they are related (and if so, which caused which) ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

An interesting video. His politics certainly seem to be a product of his situation. He's a real estate developer, and loves the cheap labor, so the Chamber of Commerce will like that. His cocaine conviction has made him very much against the war on drugs, and also an advocate for giving felons back their Constitutional Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The Ghouliani thing is FAR more alarming than the cocaine thing ... I wonder if they are related (and if so, which caused which) ...
    He probably would have been just another RINO and/or neoconservative if it wasn't for his drug conviction. Now he seems a lot more "libertarian".

Given the huge margin Graham won by during the primary, Ravenel doesn't stand a chance at all. There's a reason Graham has such a huge war chest- he's had years to build up the name recognition and donor base.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    If he gets on the ballot,Ravenel money bomb?
    I'm in.
    Well, he's already wealthy, so our couple of bucks are nothing compared to what he can self-fund.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Senator Lindsey 100% deserves to be smack dab in the middle of an intense senate debate
    whereby he fends off a true BILL Of RIGHTS respecting Libertarian & a Blue Dawg Democrat.

If all the conservatives who Graham defeated in the primary pushed their supporters to back the Democrat, maybe we'd have a chance of defeating Graham.

It's a strategically sound move, it'd be a Dixiecrat, plus, unless they act very conservatively, there's no way a Democrat would hold the seat past 2020.

We should send a message that if you're an establishment Republican in a very red state, you need to not only win your primary but win the support of the people who didn't vote for you in the primary.

Let's hope Ravenal plays dirty and destroys Graham.

More information:

Sign The Thomas Ravenel Petition
    WANT LINDSEY GRAHAM GONE? HERE’S HOW …

Over the last few days we’ve been bombarded with requests from readers wanting to know how they can help former statewide official and reality television star Thomas Ravenel appear on the November ballot to run against U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham.

Frustration with Graham is at an all-time high, and many pro-freedom, pro-free market voters – Independents, Democrats and Republicans alike – are looking for an alternative to the warmongering liberal. Even those who don’t necessarily like Ravenel have told us they think his participation in the race would be a good thing for the state – citing his outspoken advocacy on behalf of his brand of fiscal conservatism and social libertarianism.
    Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/06/30/s...enel-petition/

Graham goes. 6 years from now we elect a real republican. Hopefully Bright sticks around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Given the huge margin Graham won by during the primary, Ravenel doesn't stand a chance at all. There's a reason Graham has such a huge war chest- he's had years to build up the name recognition and donor base.
    The dynamic is different in the primary though. Remember, even at the state level most journalists are Democrats. They viewed all the challengers to Graham as unknown whackos, didn't want them to win, and didn't believe they had a chance to win. And as a result, the challengers got no attention in the media. But Ravenel is a good looking reality TV star with a salacious life story. They'll have to cover him just for the tabloid element. And what if that free media attention gets Ravenel 10% in the polls? Well now all the sudden he's within striking distance of giving the race to Hutto. And with the balance of the Senate in the balance, journalists are going to want to do all they can to prop Ravenel up, giving him more and more attention. And then the national media and Democratic operatives will get in on the helping hand as well.

Cantor and Graham falling in the same year?It would send a message.If he gets on the ballot,he gets some money from me.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    If all the conservatives who Graham defeated in the primary pushed their supporters to back the Democrat, maybe we'd have a chance of defeating Graham.

It's a strategically sound move, it'd be a Dixiecrat, plus, unless they act very conservatively, there's no way a Democrat would hold the seat past 2020.

We should send a message that if you're an establishment Republican in a very red state, you need to not only win your primary but win the support of the people who didn't vote for you in the primary.
    The Democratic nominee this year is not somebody that holds to potential to galvanize Conservative voters. Six years ago, a Ron Paul Republican actually won the Democratic Senate Primary and it would have been a great opportunity to employ such a tactic, but this year Ravenel represents the last hope of somebody conservatives might rally behind and finally rid us of Lindsey Graham.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    The dynamic is different in the primary though. Remember, even at the state level most journalists are Democrats. They viewed all the challengers to Graham as unknown whackos, didn't want them to win, and didn't believe they had a chance to win. And as a result, the challengers got no attention in the media.
    Which, given the results of the primary and Graham's war chest, none of them did. And I'd guess that not many people outside of South Carolina Republican circles knew the names of Richard Cash, Lee Bright, Nancy Mace and so on before this race.

Ravenel makes Senate run official

A Charleston businessman and reality TV star has announced his plans to run for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Lindsey Graham.

Thomas Ravenel, former state treasurer who resigned from office after his arrest on drug charges, announced his run Friday. He still must deliver 10,000 signatures from registered voters to state election officials by July 15 to get on the ballot.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/stor...cial/12235097/

Extensive article on Ravenel:

With the South Carolina GOP primary behind him, Sen. Lindsey Graham appears to be on a glide path to re-election. But as of July 4th, Graham will have one more hurdle to clear when Thomas Ravenel, a wealthy Charleston real estate developer and the former Republican state Treasurer, announces that he'll challenge Graham as an independent candidate on the November ballot.

Ravenel’s name won’t be new to most South Carolinians, nor some reality TV fans. He is the scion of the deeply rooted Ravenel political family, the face of a 2007 cocaine scandal that forced him from office, and, most recently, a cast member of Southern Charm, a reality show on Bravo TV that chronicled the alcohol-fueled lives of the single, social and well-connected in Charleston.
    Now that he has been “emancipated” from the party label, the more libertarian Ravenel gladly holds forth on just about any issue that comes up.

On federal spending he warns that the nation is headed for “a doomsday scenario.” “The federal government is making all these promises, but at some point, we’re not going to be able to fulfill those promises,” he says. "We're going to end up like dogs fighting for scraps."

He also speaks of the overarching need for Americans to reevaluate their relationship with their government, "We need to ask not what your government can do for you, but what you can do for yourself and where necessary, what you can do for others.”

On marriage equality, he says he’d rather see the government stay out of marriage altogether. “But if we’re going to have equal treatment under the law, if you’re going to give certain benefits to heterosexual couples that are married, likewise treatment must be given to those who are gay and married,” he said. “A lot of Republicans are intimidated by strident, hateful anti-gay rhetoric from religious right leaders. I’m not cowed by these people. I don’t have to be.”
    While immigration, marriage equality, and even drug legalization (which he supports) are growing in acceptance among young voters in particular, the largest gulf between Ravenel and his former party is on the role of the U.S. military around the globe. He warns that the U.S. has engaged in nation building, humanitarian missions, and picking winners and losers in countries where we have a track record of getting it wrong.

“I want a military that defends America, not a military that defends Germany or defends Japan,” he said. “The EU has a GDP bigger than America’s. I don’t blame them. Why spend any money on your own military when America’s got it covered?”

His liberty-laced, pro-Constitution approach sounds a lot like the Tea Party activists who railed against Graham and he says agrees in large part with the Tea Party, but not 100%. “We all want limited government. But there are a lot of different factions within the Tea Party movement.”
    More:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-ravenel.html

You have to like how he brought up Obama's drug use. He could add Bush and Clinton to that list too.

Thomas Ravenel: ‘My skeletons are out there’

Thomas Ravenel is the first to admit he’s not a perfect candidate.

“If I can just get the drug vote, I can win by a landslide,” he said cheerfully on Tuesday, the day after he filed a petition to run for Senate in South Carolina against incumbent Republican Lindsey Graham as an independent candidate. “I’m not a perfect messenger. But those so-called perfect people with those blemish-free backgrounds are the people that are running the Republic into the ground. My skeletons are out there for everyone to see.”
    “I tell them the truth,” he said. He called himself “arrogant” for using cocaine as such a high-profile figure — and is “embarrassed and ashamed” of the DUI — but as for the rest, Ravenel firmly believes that the drug laws in the United States need to go.

“A reporter once said, ‘How can we trust you, you did drugs?’” he said. “My response was, ‘How about we ask Barack Obama: Would society have benefited if he’d been arrested and incarcerated? Would society have benefited? If not, why is he enforcing those drug laws?’

Many of Ravenel’s policy positions came back to the drug war and his experiences living life as a convicted felon. He blamed the current immigration crisis on America’s drug war abroad, calling both for immigration reform that created an easier legal immigration process and a change to America’s overall drug policies in dealing with foreign countries.

“The way they enforce the drug laws is so racist,” he said. “The whole system is so corrupt.”

While Ravenel’s drug policies line up more with those of libertarian Ron Paul and his ideas on creating an easier path for legal immigration may align more with Democrats, he casts himself as a solid independent who abhors the two-party system. He’s staunchly pro-business, anti-union and supports states’ rights. At the same time, he’s for gay rights and against what he called the military-industrial complex that’s driving American foreign policy. He also supports term limits and, if elected, would impose one on himself.
    Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...na-108970.html

And Graham thought it was a done deal...

Ravenel Calls Out Graham For Accepting Bloomberg Cash

EDISTO, SC – Lowcountry businessman and independent U.S. Senate candidate Thomas Ravenel called on U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham to publicly disavow a $250,000 contribution made by former New York Mayor and notable anti-Second Amendment zealot Michael Bloomberg to a “Republican” political action committee that’s supporting Graham’s reelection.
    Read more at http://www.fitsnews.com/2014/07/15/r...loomberg-cash/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast