Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price controls are harmful only because industry is not an operation of the state

Price controls are harmful only because industry is not an operation of the state

In a free market, a government mandated price control of $25 for flat screen TVs or Cars would cause the supply of both to go to 0. IF, however, goods were produced by the state, it wouldn't matter what the price is, as profit, loss, and costs are not an issue. As long as the state can accurately determine how much of a quantity to produce, price wouldn't even matter.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boshembechle View Post
    In a free market, a government mandated price control of $25 for flat screen TVs or Cars would cause the supply of both to go to 0. IF, however, goods were produced by the state, it wouldn't matter what the price is, as profit, loss, and costs are not an issue. As long as the state can accurately determine how much of a quantity to produce, price wouldn't even matter.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Not exactly sure why that is pertinent to the discussion

Not exactly sure why that is pertinent to the discussion
    Price controls $#@! up the supply chain... it divorces economic activity from what people actually want, and are willing to pay for/take a gamble on...

our trollish friend neglected to consider/ mention the variable of demand.
    I DONT WANT WHAT THE STATE IS SELLING!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Well, too bad. When (if) the free market can show us that it can provide goods to the entire population, then I MIGHT change my views. Until then, I'll take the grocery store in the video over any american supermarket any day, for the goods in an American supermarket are not available for the vast numbers of americans

in your limited view
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

You are absolutely and entirely retarded.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, too bad. When (if) the free market can show us that it can provide goods to the entire population, then I MIGHT change my views. Until then, I'll take the grocery store in the video over any american supermarket any day, for the goods in an American supermarket are not available for the vast numbers of americans
    Everything in the entire world is available to every single American, you idiot.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

In a free market, a government mandated price control...
    There is no such thing as government mandated price control in a free market, so I stopped reading your thread after these 9 words.

Well, at least your short threads are getting even shorter. Maybe they're designed for Americans with short attention spans?

I meant price controls imposed on a market with private firms.

WTF does this have to do with the pursuit of liberty?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

OP doesn't understand that the state is not an operation of the free market.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    There is no such thing as government mandated price control in a free market, so I stopped reading your thread after these 9 words.

Well, at least your short threads are getting even shorter. Maybe they're designed for Americans with short attention spans?
    My first thought in reading the op.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/Economic_calculation_problem
    http://mises.org/econcalc.asp
    Enlighten yourself.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

I am well aware of the economic calculation problem put forth by Mises, and I find it to be an especially sinister excuse to justify the continued illegality of poor people owning goods. The state can keep inventory records of goods consumed, so that accurate production plans can be implemented in the future.

What good is an "efficient allocation of goods" if an entire section of the population is unable to own certain goods? Great, a $25 dollar price for a video game ensures that supply and demand are equal. You know what else that price does? It says "$#@! you" to the poor people who have a willingness to pay of less than 25 dollars. "efficient allocation" my ass.

If your claim is that a central authority is "better" at the distribution of goods, then you are ignoring thousands of years of Human history.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

I am well aware of the economic calculation problem put forth by Mises, and I find it to be an especially sinister excuse to justify the continued illegality of poor people owning goods. The state can keep inventory records of goods consumed, so that accurate production plans can be implemented in the future.
    In that case, you have obviously and utterly failed to understand the very "economic calculation problem" of which you claim to be "well aware."

What good is an "efficient allocation of goods" if an entire section of the population is unable to own certain goods? Great, a $25 dollar price for a video game ensures that supply and demand are equal. You know what else that price does? It says "$#@! you" to the poor people who have a willingness to pay of less than 25 dollars. "efficient allocation" my ass.
    Go tell it to Santa Claus. Maybe you'll get a pat on the head and a candy cane ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frιdιric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

If providing goods to poor people is something you feel is important, why do you not own a business providing goods to poor people? Free markets mean you can set your price where you deem it to be right without any respect to supply and demand. Good Will for instance, I'm not sure if they are local or national, sells NICE pairs of pants for 5 to 7 bucks, or even cheaper. I seen a telescope there the other day for $20. If you feel this is important to you you need to get off your ass and do something about it, because the greedy-$#@!s running the multi-nationals today do not give a damn. Those greedy-$#@!s though are at least beholden to our money and continued patronage, whereas with the state, if your idea of "efficient allocation of goods" differs, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. You wish to give up your freedom to change the things you want to change. That is a recipe for no one to be happy.

Everything would be a lot more affordable if not for all of the government intervention which currently prevents us from living in a free-market.

You do realize that Karl Marx was a total failure that had never worked for a living in his entire life.

His writings and Philosophy are those of total failure. They have failed in every place they have been tried.

Why do you support failure?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Wow. Just.......... wow.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think giving just one job to the state might be a good idea.
    That one job would, of course, be making sure that people who make such monstrously idiotic statements with the intent of affecting public policy get shepherded away to a padded cell where they can enjoy the utopia they wish upon everyone.

Of course, I resist the temptation, because I know that even with that one tiny little job, the state would metastasize in under 200 years into exactly the kind of entity that runs that grocery store.

I mean, fer $#@!'s sake, didn't you see how there were only 20 slabs of unidentifiable meat, and yet they were still sniffing them?
    Or the fact that every face on that video was the face of a beaten person: that they all knew that a camera pointed in their direction meant no good for anyone, and that they only spoke in hushed tones and only to the person next to them?

Have you ever known any Russians? They are NOT quiet people. Getting that whole society to the point of being that beaten was an even bigger trick than trying to feed them.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I lived under a government that ensured everyone had equal access to video games I'd insist on some rope too so I can hang myself.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    If I lived under a government that ensured everyone had equal access to video games I'd insist on some rope too so I can hang myself.
    They would be State Produced Video Games..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Lol, well, reading isn't synonyms with comprehension.

If all government could do is say $#@! you to poor people, governments would be inconsequential, unfortunately they can do much more than say $#@! you. Governments are populated with people interested in maintaining their power. If that means keeping a segment of society poor to maintain that power, they will, if it means imprisoning people to maintain their power, they will. To maintain power, government will kill you. There is nothing more sinister than the power of the state.

Peace.

How is it even possible to argue that restricted markets produce more prosperity than free markets? It's like evidence is of no consequence to this troll.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Lets see , govt wants to sell me crap for x , I am not buying crap .Govt wants me to sell them crops for x so they can dole them out for x . I am not conducting business with govt . They will get nothing from me, the land can remain fallow.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    How is it even possible to argue that restricted markets produce more prosperity than free markets? It's like evidence is of no consequence to this troll.
    Free markets are GREAT for those with means to pay for goods. The problem, though, is the sinister method by which market mechanisms balance supply and demand. Those at the top are able to get the goods precisely because though at the bottom are locked out of the market entirely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast