View Poll Results: Who should Rand pick as Supreme Court justice if he becomes President?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Judge Napolitano

37 66.07%
  • Ken Cuccinelli

3 5.36%
  • Mike Lee

4 7.14%
  • Someone Else

12 21.43%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should Rand pick as Supreme Court justice if he becomes President?

Who should Rand pick as Supreme Court justice if he becomes President?

We've had a lot of polls on who Rand's VP pick should be, but who do you think Rand should pick for Supreme Court justice if he becomes President?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

My choice is Ken Cuccinelli, although I think Mike Lee would be a really good choice as well, if Rand gets to choose two Supreme Court justices. I think the Judge is too old and wouldn't be on the court for as long as the younger justices. I also don't like his opposition to states' rights on the marriage issue, although others here may agree with him on that.

I'd ask Mike Lee and Judge Napolitano if they had any suggestions.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Almost all of the Republican judges who are in the appellate courts were appointed by Bush, and it seems pretty unlikely that you would find a libertarian-leaning conservative judge from the appellate courts. So I think Rand would be better off appointing a Senator like Cruz or Lee or a former attorney general like Cuccinelli. I like Cuccinelli since he's been speaking out against over incarceration recently, is opposed to the NSA, and generally seems to be pretty good on civil liberties. At the same time, I like his view that social issues should be handled by the people at the state level, as opposed to a hardcore libertarian judge who would be more inclined to support what they view as "individual rights" over states' rights.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Randy Barnett
    Who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Who is that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Barnett

He blogs at the Volokh Conspiracy. http://www.volokh.com/author/randy/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Roy Moore and/or Ken Cuccinelli, Andrew Napolitano would be good as well. John Whitehead would be good. Debra Medina and the Liberty Movement supported John Devine in his race for Texas Supreme Court, he won. I do not know how he has behaved, but someone like him is worth a look. Really we need a whole new Supreme Court.

Not Mike Lee, only because he should stay in the Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Thanks. I would prefer someone younger, as he's 62 years old and would likely be over 65 by the time he were nominated to the Supreme Court. He wouldn't be on the Supreme Court that long. On the other hand, Cuccinelli and Lee are both under 50 and would still be under 50 by that time, and would probably be on the court for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Not Mike Lee, only because he should stay in the Senate.
    We would miss him in the Senate, but a Supreme Court justice has a lot more power than a U.S Senator. And Rand would want to appoint someone he could trust, because Republican Presidents in the past have been burned by justices they thought were conservative, but they didn't know them well enough, and they ended up being liberal judicial activists. Think Stevens, Souter, O'Conner, Kennedy, Roberts, etc. We would know that Lee would be solid and wouldn't waiver, and he would also be really young and would be on the court for a long, long time. We could probably find someone in Utah as libertarian as him to replace him.

We would miss him in the Senate, but a Supreme Court justice has a lot more power than a U.S Senator. And Rand would want to appoint someone he could trust, because Republican Presidents in the past have been burned by justices they thought were conservative, but they didn't know them well enough, and they ended up being liberal judicial activists. Think Stevens, Souter, O'Conner, Kennedy, Roberts, etc. We would know that Lee would be solid and wouldn't waiver, and he would also be really young and would be on the court for a long, long time. We could probably find someone in Utah as libertarian as him to replace him.
    Roy Moore will not be a Liberal Activist Judge

It makes no sense to take Lee out of the Senate, if he leaves anyway, then sure. But there are plenty of Constitutionalists who would do a great job.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Roy Moore will not be a Liberal Activist Judge
    All I know about him is that he's the judge who refused to take down a copy of the 10 commandments in his courthouse when the Supreme Court told him to. What else do we know about him?

Roy Moore is pretty old as well. He would likely be over 70 by the time he would be nominated for the Supreme Court. On the other hand, Lee is currently 43, and Cuccinelli is 46. I think they would both be better choices because of their age, because they would be on the Supreme Court for a long time.

Roy Moore is pretty old as well. He would likely be over 70 by the time he would be nominated for the Supreme Court. On the other hand, Lee is currently 43, and Cuccinelli is 46. I think they would both be better choices because of their age, because they would be on the Supreme Court for a long time.
    That is a good point.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I honesty don't understand why people would vote for Judge Napolitano. I like the guy, but he has ZERO chance of ever being confirmed.

I vote Mike Lee.

Again, those seem like good choices, but age will be a factor. The goal should be to nominate a Constitutional Conservative/libertarian who will be on the Supreme Court for a long time.

All I know about him is that he's the judge who refused to take down a copy of the 10 commandments in his courthouse when the Supreme Court told him to. What else do we know about him?
    He banned me from his Facebook page yesterday.

He criticized Alabama's SCOTUS overturning sodomy, and I simply asked why it's any of the government's business.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Speaking of Volokh, what about Eugene?

He is only 46. UCLA professor. Clerked on 9th district and SCOTUS.

Johnathan Adler, Case Law professor, involved with the Halbig v Sebelius case. Some of the libertarian legal wonks with Cato are actually on the conservative end of the spectrum and could probably get confirmed. Nap would be a dream but he'd be a great solicitor general, as he doesn't need to be confirmed and he argues for the administration.

He banned me from his Facebook page yesterday.

He criticized Alabama's SCOTUS overturning sodomy, and I simply asked why it's any of the government's business.
    It's kind of weird that he banned you. But Ron actually criticized the Lawrence vs. Texas decision which struck down Texas' sodomy law. You can be opposed to laws against sodomy while still believing that it's a states' rights issue.

It's kind of weird that he banned you. But Ron actually criticized the Lawrence vs. Texas decision which struck down Texas' sodomy law. You can be opposed to laws against sodomy while still believing that it's a states' rights issue.
    But Alabama judges overturned the law, not the federal government.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But Alabama judges overturned the law, not the federal government.
    Yeah, but it still seems to me like it should be up to the voters or to state legislatures to decide. Although I've never read the Alabama Constitution and don't know what it says.

Me, I'll bring some common sense to that cesspool.

Andrew Napolitano. Mike Lee needs to stay his ass in the senate. I don't want to lose seats in the senate. It's already hard. We literally only have 3 people in the senate. I'd prefer Ken as AG or in Congress but SC wouldn't be bad. If we could somehow get 2 justices there, it would be a tremendous leap for liberty.
    Last edited by Vanguard101; 06-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.

The snake Sen. Rafael Cruz Jr., because :

1. Another Senator may be the only people Rand could get passed through the Senate.
    2. Paul may need to promise a SCOTUS seat to Cruz in order for Canada Ted to endorse Rand and not run himself in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    1. Another Senator may be the only people Rand could get passed through the Senate.
    That's what I was thinking as well. Rand may have to pick either Cruz or Lee for Supreme Court justice just to be able to get a like minded person passed through the Senate. The Senate doesn't usually vote against one of their own.

I don't understand the Napolitano for SCOTUS thing. I would much rather see him as Attorney General. Then he'd be in a position to pro-actively get things done - instead of twiddling his thumbs while sitting on his ass behind a big bench (probably only to end up on the "minority" side of most decisions anyway). But it doesn't really matter anyway, except as a pleasant fantasy - neither of those things is ever going to happen. He'd never make it through the confirmation process for either position. Only "Team Federal" players need apply ...
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast