Thread: Texas Sheriffs Form Checkpoints in Guadalupe River, Searching Inner Tube Riders

Texas Sheriffs Form Checkpoints in Guadalupe River, Searching Inner Tube Riders

By Martin Hill

My wife and I were in Austin last week to visit some friends and family, and took a trip with my wife's cousin and their family to Canyon Lake. This is between Austin and New Braunfels, and we took a trip down the Guadalupe river. A lot of people go there for a leisurely float down the river in innertubes. It was a nice sunny Saturday and the place was packed. The river ride was (way) too slow for my tastes; when I heard 'river raft', I had a distinctly different and more adventurous idea than the snails-pace at which the tube floated. Nevertheless, off we went. There are a lot of websites on Guadalupe River tubing and some pictures here, here, and here.
    It takes two hours to go from the drop-off point at the "top of the horseshoe" to the end. As we passed the middle of the ride, my wife says to me "honey look at all the cops!" Now, I thought she was kidding because she jokes around like that sometimes. I glanced towards the shore to look for the alleged cops, because there were a lot of rowdy partiers, etc. having fun. But she said "NO, right here! In the river!"

And I'll be damned, she wasn't teasing. Low and behold, there were six uniformed Comal County Sheriffs, wearing their hip-boots, forming a human blockade; a CHECKPOINT in the river, blocking every innertube from passing by. They had their sunglasses on, their hands on their hips and their arms folded, with smug attitudes. It was truly a "You gotta be $#@!ting me" moment. Even I was shocked at the absurdity of it. I mean I've heard of checkpoints everywhere, but in a river floating in an intertube?!

Yes.

My wife's cousins had their own very extravagent raft since they ride the river a lot. It held two adults, their two kids, and had a special ice chest compartment in the middle. Our wives were tied to the big raft in their own innertubes, so they could sit together and chat. My wife's cousin was first one to approach the overly-eager sheriff in her tube. "YOU GOT ANY GLASS BOTTLES OR STYROPHOME?" he barked.

"Uhh.. no?" she replied,

"Okay I need to look", he said, as he gestured for towards the raft.

Unfortunately for him I was seated right next to the ice chest and I put my hand on it.

"You ever heard of the 4th Amendment?" I asked, very loudly.
    cont.
    http://libertyfight.com/2014/TX_Sher...er_tubers.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Strength Through Unity, Unity Through Faith"
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

$#@!ing River Cops.

That is one of the most absurd stories I have heard to date.

I have a feeling AF is completely right, it is just going to get worse from here
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Hey man, people on forums have been giving the answer to this for some years now. If you don't like flying, then don't fly. If you don't like police river blocks, then stay at home in your bathtub.

bump
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    $#@!ing River Cops.

That is one of the most absurd stories I have heard to date.

I have a feeling AF is completely right, it is just going to get worse from here
    I encountered river cops on the Meramec last weekend, they ruined a quiet relaxing Saturday afternoon of kayaking with their motorboat.

Me and another buddy parked it and made sure everybody in our group made it through unmolested.

"YOU GOT ANY GLASS BOTTLES OR STYROFOAM?" he barked.

"Uhh.. no?" she replied,

The rest of the story hurts my teeth...

"You ever heard of the 4th Amendment?" I asked, very loudly.

This seemed to take them by surprise and one of the sheriff's sheepishly replied "Yes, that's why we ask!"

"Good. No, you can't search nothin'," I replied.

We continued to float towards the sheriffs and our raft was about to bump into one of them, since the idiot wouldn't get out of the way. I said "Excuse me" and he moved out of the way before being bumped. I conjured up images of a trumped up "bumper boat assault on an officer charge" involved if the tube dared to bump the freak.

I then told them "have a nice day", to which not a single one of them replied. (Gee, I wonder why the nice officers didn't wish me a nice day?)

As we continued past the officers, my wife explained to her cousin that she is not required to let the police search her things. I added "yeah, but no one knows, so they just let them do it!" Everyone in the river was allowing the sheriffs to search their tubes and ice chests.

I then asked some young people in the river if they let the cop search their things and they said yes. As I explained, one young 20-something bikini-clad woman river-partier said "You don't have to let them!?" as if she was greatly surprised by such a notion. That was very sad.

"That's right, you don't have to allow them to search anything. Tell them to get a warrant," I said. "It's called the 4th Amendment!" I held up four fingers and repeated "4th Amendment. It's real short. Google it!"

She held up four fingers, copying my hand motion, and said "wow, thanks!"

I only wish I would have grabbed video of this river checkpoint. But who takes their spy phone in an inner tube?

If anyone is floating down Canyon Lake, you do not have to consent to let the Comal County Sheriff's search your belongings.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Updated 3:

Float down the river in a tube? Tube cops.
    Swim in the town pool? Pool cops.
    Relax at the beach? Beach cops.
    Hike a hill? Park cops.
    Waste time online? Internet cops.
    Take a drive? Highway cops.
    Fly off for vacation? Airport cops.
    Do some fishing? Clam cops.
    Cruise your boat? Marine cops.
    Like to hunt? Game cops.
    Take in some target shooting? Gun cops.
    Do some home improvements? Code cops.
    Maybe work at your business? Regulation cops.
    Clean the house? Recycling cops.
    Get out of the country? Border cops.
    Try to blow your brains out at the insanity of it all and fail? Hospital cops.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-25-2014 at 05:46 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    H/T to danno

Updated 4:

Compulsary school attendance? School cops.
    Enroll in college? University cops.
    Shop at the mall? Mall cops.
    Cook food to sell or give to the homeless? Health cops.
    Target shooting out at the old quarry? Quarry cops.
    Build a shelter out in the wilderness? Forest cops.
    Take advantage of bulk discounts in black market purchases of scheduled substances? Drug cops.
    Float down the river in a tube? Tube cops.
    Swim in the town pool? Pool cops.
    Relax at the beach? Beach cops.
    Hike a hill? Park cops.
    Waste time online? Internet cops.
    Take a drive? Highway cops.
    Fly off for vacation? Airport cops.
    Do some fishing? Clam cops.
    Cruise your boat? Marine cops.
    Like to hunt? Game cops.
    Take in some target shooting? Gun cops.
    Do some home improvements? Code cops.
    Maybe work at your business? Regulation cops.
    Clean the house? Recycling cops.
    Get out of the country? Border cops.
    Try to blow your brains out at the insanity of it all and fail? Hospital cops.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-25-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Hey man, people on forums have been giving the answer to this for some years now. If you don't like flying, then don't fly. If you don't like police river blocks, then stay at home in your bathtub.
    So simple, amirite?

Doesnt seem to matter to Cops whether or not its a Cell Phone or an Inner Tube, they claim COMPLETE Authority over EVERYTHING at the cost of EVERY RIGHT of an individual.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Next up on the river: electrical current meets water with the tazing of YOU!

From the office of Hermann Goering, Texas: "It is regrettable that the boat riding schmuck drowned after we tazed him, but he refused to comply."

This seemed to take them by surprise and one of the sheriff's sheepishly replied "Yes, that's why we ask!"*
    Except he didn't ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Do they realize how ridiculous they are?

Ha! It ain't gonna stop until we stop it. It'd be comical if it weren't so deadly serious.

What's the end game?

Borrowing money from foreign nations, debasing our own currency all to grow government........Why?

Public safety and the children be damned there must be a goal they're working towards but for the life of me I can't grasp it...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What's the end game?

Borrowing money from foreign nations, debasing our own currency all to grow government........Why?

Public safety and the children be damned there must be a goal they're working towards but for the life of me I can't grasp it...
    Seriously?

I don't think anybody really wants to know.

No, I am not kidding...

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-25-2014 at 08:52 PM.

"YOU GOT ANY GLASS BOTTLES OR STYROPHOME?"
    uhm, are glass bottles or styrofoam illegal to possess on a river?

Glass Bottles are $400 a piece fine, a twelve pack will net you $4800 fine.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    Glass Bottles are $400 a piece fine, a twelve pack will net you $4800 fine.
    wth? is this some kinda of precrime logic to prevent littering? are aluminum cans acceptable? how about a keg?

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ha! It ain't gonna stop until we stop it. It'd be comical if it weren't so deadly serious.
    It does not stop until all peoples understand they are sovereign. Good for this guy for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    wth? is this some kinda of precrime logic to prevent littering? are aluminum cans acceptable? how about a keg?
    Why do you hate Mother Earth, comrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Except he didn't ask.
    Yep. The are basic English rules for formulating a question. These people don't follow the same rules as everyone else. They are anarchists.

Yes, I must agree with all the conservatives out there. There's no way anarchy can exist for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    It does not stop until all peoples understand they are sovereign. Good for this guy for trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Let me know how that natural rights > social contract theory works out for you. I'll be your pen pale.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been down that cold river before , long time ago , guess I should be glad it was before the water police .

The cops have been there for years. There is a picture floating around somewhere on the web with them carrying rifles... from a few years back. The city (New Braunfels) actually had a fee to float down the river until it was ruled illegal by the courts.
    Trash is just another excuse for the police state, not unlike the war on drugs --- this is the war on trash. Funny thing though, every year there is a huge trash pickup day and contest. Scuba clubs from all over Texas participate. That has been keeping the river clean for decades. Its all a scam IMO. The squeaky wheel has been wealthy nouveau riverfront property owners(and political busy bodies). They buy a million dollar riverfront home on the freakin' Guadalupe (google gaudalupe river tubing )and expect it be serene and peaceful like some off the beaten path mountain stream. They squeak, the city/county responds with police state tactics.

And Recall, New Braunfels is where that young man with the FU t-shirt was arrested and also the place where the young man was arrested for terrorism for making a joke online about eating some school children's "still beating hearts".

Lots of German bloodline/heritage floating around there. Not kidding. FYI --> The old "Braunfels" is in Germany.

“Springfield will have its first annual Do What You Feel Festival this Saturday, whenever you feel like showing up. It’ll be a welcome change from our annual Do As We Say Festival, started by German settlers in 1946.”
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-26-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMike View Post
    The cops have been there for years. There is a picture floating around somewhere on the web with them carrying rifles... from a few years back. The city (New Braunfels) actually had a fee to float down the river until it was ruled illegal by the courts.
    Trash is just another excuse for the police state, not unlike the war on drugs --- this is the war on trash. Funny thing though, every year there is a huge trash pickup day and contest. Scuba clubs from all over Texas participate. That has been keeping the river clean for decades. Its all a scam IMO. The squeaky wheel has been wealthy nouveau riverfront property owners(and political busy bodies). They buy a million dollar riverfront home on the freakin' Guadalupe (google gaudalupe river tubing )and expect it be serene and peaceful like some off the beaten path mountain stream. They squeak, the city/county responds with police state tactics.

And Recall, New Braunfels is where that young man with the FU t-shirt was arrested and also the place where the young man was arrested for terrorism for making a joke online about eating some school children's "still beating hearts".

Lots of German bloodline/heritage floating around there. Not kidding. FYI --> The old "Braunfels" is in Germany.
    Yeah , yrs ago I spent a lot of time around Bandera, New Braunfels , Boerne , Fredericksburg etc , good bier , good peaches , no cops back then , lol

Then , , have a few more beers , make the long drive down to Runge and China Grove, for some food , lol
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-26-2014 at 12:58 AM.