Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes!

Exclamation Snakes!

I saw 3 snakes yesterday while I was doing yard work and so far I've seen about 15 this summer. It really seems like the snakes are bad this year, has anyone else noticed and increase in snake activity? Has anyone tried that Snake Away (saw it at Home Depot) stuff or know of a snake deterrent?

They really don't bother me in the yard, I'm pretty used to seeing them while I'm riding around cutting the grass, especially near the wooded areas but I'm finding these on my front porch, in the garage and one scared the $#@! outta me when I went to do some weeding in the flowerbed in the front of the house.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only ratsnakes including a blacksnake that is 6 ft. long. They are more than welcome around here and keep out the "undesirables."

Check for a rodent problem. That would be my first step. Snakes come searching for food.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I saw 3 snakes yesterday while I was doing yard work and so far I've seen about 15 this summer. It really seems like the snakes are bad this year, has anyone else noticed and increase in snake activity? Has anyone tried that Snake Away (saw it at Home Depot) stuff or know of a snake deterrent?

They really don't bother me in the yard, I'm pretty used to seeing them while I'm riding around cutting the grass, especially near the wooded areas but I'm finding these on my front porch, in the garage and one scared the $#@! outta me when I went to do some weeding in the flowerbed in the front of the house.
    Move to Massachusetts Suz--the only snakes we have slithering around here are on Beacon Hill.

When I lived in Virginia on the Rapahannock River, I used to wear boots to mow the lawn because there were so many cotton mouths slithering around. I tried to kill one with a garden hoe and it ended up wrapping itself around the handle and coming at me. I dropped the hoe and ran. It's not as easy to kill those things as people think. Their skin is so hard that a hoe won't penetrate it.

I had a an inboard boat that I used to take out on the water there. There were tons of snakes down there and some even tried to slither up the side of the boat until I got far enough out in the ocean.

It's amazing the difference between New England and the south. I can sit out on my deck at night and never get bit by a mosquito. When I lived in Virginia--my dogs were covered with ticks, the mosquito's ate me up and yes--there were snakes everywhere. Our hard winters kill most of the vermin off up here. I love the warm temps all year round down south, but the damn bugs drove me crazy.

My parents had a Florida home and I never knew what a Palmetto bug was until they bought that place. It's basically a cockroach the size of a small dog with wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    please try not to kill them.
    There's friendly snakes and not so friendly snakes. We used to toss black snakes in the horse barns to keep the rodents at bay. Then there were the not so friendly copperheads that didn't bother me as long as they went about their own business and didn't chase me.

You'd better watch out, Suzanimal. Next thing you know they'll be slithering up the foot of your bed. And be careful opening cabinets and things. Also your shoes. They might coil up in those.

mothballs may help
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Check for a rodent problem. That would be my first step. Snakes come searching for food.
    I don't think so, I think they might be coming from the backyard where my husband's been clearing woods and building walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    please try not to kill them.
    I don't kill 'em. I run screaming. If I'm cutting the grass I stop at a safe distance and throw a flip flop at them to scare them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    You'd better watch out, Suzanimal. Next thing you know they'll be slithering up the foot of your bed. And be careful opening cabinets and things. Also your shoes. They might coil up in those.
    LOL, believe me, I've thought of that. My next door neighbor found one in her kitchen cabinet! The wildlife guys she called to remove it said it probably came in her cat door.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    mothballs may help
    I've heard that, maybe I'll give that a shot. I don't know how many more surprise visits I can take before I have a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Move to Massachusetts Suz--the only snakes we have slithering around here are on Beacon Hill.

When I lived in Virginia on the Rapahannock River, I used to wear boots to mow the lawn because there were so many cotton mouths slithering around. I tried to kill one with a garden hoe and it ended up wrapping itself around the handle and coming at me. I dropped the hoe and ran. It's not as easy to kill those things as people think. Their skin is so hard that a hoe won't penetrate it.

I had a an inboard boat that I used to take out on the water there. There were tons of snakes down there and some even tried to slither up the side of the boat until I got far enough out in the ocean.

It's amazing the difference between New England and the south. I can sit out on my deck at night and never get bit by a mosquito. When I lived in Virginia--my dogs were covered with ticks, the mosquito's ate me up and yes--there were snakes everywhere. Our hard winters kill most of the vermin off up here. I love the warm temps all year round down south, but the damn bugs drove me crazy.

My parents had a Florida home and I never knew what a Palmetto bug was until they bought that place. It's basically a cockroach the size of a small dog with wings.
    Palmetto bugs are gross as hell, I can't even squash em - the crunch and guts squirting out...eww.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    There's friendly snakes and not so friendly snakes. We used to toss black snakes in the horse barns to keep the rodents at bay. Then there were the not so friendly copperheads that didn't bother me as long as they went about their own business and didn't chase me.
    I've never seen a venomous snake in our yard but one of our neighbors has found a couple of rattlesnakes in his yard. I usually find black snakes, King snakes, big ass Rat snakes and one Hognose (those things are pretty freaky).

Maybe it's a sign of the end times.

Consider (an illegal) pet mongoose. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mongo...vable-pet.html

Southern AZ is the rattlesnake capitol of teh world They'll leave you alone if you leave them alone. Wet years seem to bring them out more than usual. We're in a drought now, so few sightings for a good while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

A few kinda ugly stereotypes in there... :P A lot of my family is from the Kentucky/Tennesee region, and plenty of people there speak yankee. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    A few kinda ugly stereotypes in there... :P A lot of my family is from the Kentucky/Tennesee region, and plenty of people there speak yankee. :P
    Like what? I'm fluent in yankee too, I married one but aside from the six spices the rest is true for me and nothing to be ashamed of.

The Yanks up north here made fun of my southern accent when I moved here. I still have it when I talk fast--so says the hub.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I trained for tech support once (didn't get past the training, I hated it), during our training one of the guys I trained with took a call from an irate woman in another state. He had a seriously southern accent and kept telling her to "mash" buttons. By the time he got of the phone with her she was laughing hysterically.

Quote Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
    I trained for tech support once (didn't get past the training, I hated it), during our training one of the guys I trained with took a call from an irate woman in another state. He had a seriously southern accent and kept telling her to "mash" buttons. By the time he got of the phone with her she was laughing hysterically.
    My husband keeps telling me, you press buttons, you mash potatoes ~ I started calling mashed potatoes, pressed potatoes.

He also gets annoyed that what he calls carts, I call buggies. He's like, it's a shopping cart, it's not a buggy unless there's a horse attached to it...

I've never seen a venomous snake in our yard but one of our neighbors has found a couple of rattlesnakes in his yard. I usually find black snakes, King snakes, big ass Rat snakes and one Hognose (those things are pretty freaky).
    I'm failing to see the problem.

One of my favorite scenes from Indiana Jones. I hate snakes!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I'm failing to see the problem.
    I just don't like finding them that close to the house, I have doggie doors and frankly, if one finds it way in my house...Oh hell no. I was thinking about sprinkling some Snake Away or moth balls just around the perimeter of the house to ward them off.

This thread has made me so frickin hungry.

If I'm cutting the grass I stop at a safe distance and throw a flip flop at them to scare them off.
    To each his/her own... but I wear 8" boots when I mow the lawn.

Personally, I consider it a good session when I grind up a snake or two... its the mangled baby rabbit heads that come flying out of the chute that make me squirm. Of course, I'm beatin' back 3 acres of 12-18" grass w/ one of these:

Last edited by presence; 06-25-2014 at 07:42 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They clear cut about 3 acres of land adjacent to my and my neighbors property and it has chased some black snakes out of their area into ours. Nothing unusual though.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

To each his/her own... but I wear 8" boots when I mow the lawn.

Personally, I consider it a good session when I grind up a snake or two... its the mangled baby rabbit heads that come flying out of the chute that make me squirm. Of course, I'm beatin' back 3 acres of 12-18" grass w/ one of these:

My flip flops looks like these VVV because I have a riding lawnmower and my feet can't reach the pedal without the extra height.

My husband keeps telling me, you press buttons, you mash potatoes ~ I started calling mashed potatoes, pressed potatoes.

He also gets annoyed that what he calls carts, I call buggies. He's like, it's a shopping cart, it's not a buggy unless there's a horse attached to it...
    *has Yankee/southern confusion* Where do I fall if I call them wagons?...

re snakes.. ahhhhhhhhhhh
    I'm from the school of thought that the only good snake is the one that's at least 20 yards away from me, and going the other way.
    We have a cat that kills snakes - haven't seen one in several years.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I'm going to start calling them buggies just to confuse people and because it sounds cooler. thx!

Oh. Hell. No.
    *note to self: stay out of Milledgeville

Venomous snake possibly sighted in Milledgeville

A deadly venomous snake was reportedly seen two days ago in Milledgeville.

According to Mark McKinnon with the Department of Natural Resources - Law Enforcement Division, a gaboon viper was seen near the intersection of Hairwood Drive and Harrisburg Road. McKinnon said the snake is not native to Georgia.

McKinnon said there is no need for panic, but the DNR wanted to make the public aware that it could still be out there. He also said to not walk through deep brush or shrubs.

He said an investigation with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is underway, and is working to verify the credibility of the report.

If this snake is sighted, please dial 911. According to Sgt. Bo Kelly with the DNR's Law Enforcement Division, if bitten by this snake, only 15 minutes is allowed to get to the anti-venom.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...ille/30543391/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

You'll be fine.

15 minutes is plenty of time to write your will or finish it if you were smart enough to get a head start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast