Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Snake charmer;

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He also gets annoyed that what he calls carts, I call buggies. He's like, it's a shopping cart, it's not a buggy unless there's a horse attached to it...
    Off topic but I can't hear the word buggy without thinking of this "song."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't mind snakes...

If I'm cutting the grass I stop at a safe distance and throw a flip flop at them to scare them off.
    Flip Flops: The woman's weapon of mass destruction. They might take our guns, but they better not come after the flip flops.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Massive python captured in Everglades National Park in Florida

FLORIDA -- A python researcher who regularly works in Everglades National Park has caught a giant snake that may be the second-largest python ever caught in Florida, reports CBS Miami.

The snake was captured along the Shark Valley tram road in early July. It measured 18 feet, 3 inches, reports CBS Miami.

The largest snake ever caught in Florida was 18-feet and 7 inches, caught in 2013 in Miami-Dade, the station reports.

Play VIDEO
    Record-setting 17-foot-long python found in the Everglades
    Everglades National Park officials don't officially track the size of the snakes that are captured outside of the park.

Burmese pythons are an invasive reptile with no natural predators. They appear to be wiping out most of the small mammals that once thrived in Everglades National Park, according to CBS Miami.

According to park officials, the snake was removed from the wild, which helps protect the diverse wildlife in Everglades National Park. The snakes became established in Florida several decades ago as a result of the international pet trade.

According to Everglades National Park spokeswoman Linda Friar, the snake was humanely euthanized.

CBS Miami reports that a necropsy was conducted, which found the snake was a female, but had not reproduced this season. Her stomach was also empty. Snakes that large are capable of ingesting prey like deer and alligators, according to the U.S. Geological Survey officials.

Estimates for how many pythons now call South Florida home greatly vary, ranging from several thousands to 100,000 or more.

Florida prohibits possession or sale of the pythons for use as pets, and federal law bans the importation and interstate sale of the species.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-...-park-florida/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Suzanimal;

"the snake was humanely euthanized."

um.. I'm flabberghasted that someone in the special effects industry didn't just buy it instead.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I'm so happy. After our old idiot neighbors killed so many king snakes, not only did it break my heart but our yard was overrun with gophers. It took a year, but more snakes finally moved in and are doing their job.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I would've freaked out. I don't know how the woman held it together enough to pull over.

Woman finds copperhead snake sliding down her door while driving

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A North Carolina woman is praising her local police department after officers helped her remove a copperhead snake from her car last week.

Beckie Kistler said she was driving down Interstate 485 in Charlotte, N.C., on Wednesday when the snake slid down the driver’s side door toward her steering wheel.

She said it was less than an inch from her head. She was able to get off the roadway, and a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer stopped to help.

Eventually, CMPD Animal Control officers arrived and removed the snake, which by that time had slid into her glove compartment.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I'd leave it there and stick a for sale sign on it.

I'm bad about leaving the back of my van open - not anymore. I'd have a $#@!ing heart attack of I found a snake in my van. I've already seen a lot of snakes around this year - mostly dead ones in the road but still...a lot of them.

Mom Sees Snake Slithering In Back Seat Next To Toddler

DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) — A Denton mother had quite the scare when she found a snake slithering in the back seat of her SUV next to her toddler.

“I grabbed my baby out of her car seat out the back, and slammed the door as quickly as I could,” said Philana Williams.

Williams had parked in downtown Denton was ready to go visit a friend when she made the discovery.

Animal Services Officer Humberto Vega was called out to remove the snake but he said once in his clamps it managed to slither out of it’s own shedding skin and hid in the SUV’s frame.

The whole incident was captured on cell phone video.

“I had the clamps on it and I tried to pull it out and all he left me was his skin,” said Vega.

Vega thinks the snake is still hiding inside Williams’ silver Mitsubishi Montero, thus she decided to abandon the car out of fear that the snake will reemerge.

“The car will remain in Downtown Denton until my husband goes and drives the car home. I am going nowhere near that car,” said Williams.

Vega identified the snake as a rat snake which is non venomous but often confused for a copper head, which is a venomous snake. He warned that summer is the season snakes tend to slither into vehicles.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/06/08/m...mpaign=partner

That right there is the stuff car wrecks are made of.. now.. an itch on my leg while driving is going to freak me out
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It rained last night so I took a stroll around my yard picking weeds while the ground was soft and saw something that looked like plastic wrap near the butterfly bushes I planted a few months ago. I was getting mad trying figure out which pig threw trash on the ground and didn't pick it up - the pool plumbing is just to the right and sometimes trash from chemical wrappers don't get picked up.

As I got closer, I thought to myself, that's strange looking wrapping...

Then I saw a bigger piece and realized what it was....A SNAKE SKIN!!!!

Well at least the snake near your pool has nice fresh skin.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Then I saw a bigger piece and realized what it was....A SNAKE SKIN!!!!
    Beats discovering it's a used condom, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Well at least the snake near your pool has nice fresh skin.

*shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Beats discovering it's a used condom, I guess.

I think I'd rather find a used condom.

*crosses Maine off states I'd like to visit

Massive snake skin found in Maine

WESTBROOK, ME (WOFL FOX 35) - Check out this massive snake skin found along the Presumpscot River in Maine.

Westbrook Police responded, photographed, collected and tagged the skin, which will be examined in an attempt to determine what type of snake shed it and what risks the type of snake poses.
    http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/194642410-story

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I don't mind snakes...
    We know.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I just took out the trash (animalson forgot and already left) and when I got to the street, I saw something on the ground that looked like a piece of foil - it was a Capri Sun packet. I think the little girls next door dropped it but near the wooded area between my house and my neighbors I saw another piece of snake skin. *shudders*

Like what? I'm fluent in yankee too, I married one but aside from the six spices the rest is true for me and nothing to be ashamed of.
    Funny story, my brother opened a Wendy's in Bufford. The first year they were open they had a little snow, maybe half inch. Anyway at lunch time he overheard the employee taking orders talk to a customer;

Customer - wow, I'm surprised you're open with this weather
    Employee - yeah, the owners a Yankee

He had that store 25 years or so and had great friends, but he was still a Yankee
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    Funny story, my brother opened a Wendy's in Bufford. The first year they were open they had a little snow, maybe half inch. Anyway at lunch time he overheard the employee taking orders talk to a customer;

Customer - wow, I'm surprised you're open with this weather
    Employee - yeah, the owners a Yankee

He had that store 25 years or so and had great friends, but he was still a Yankee
    Ha! During Snowjam '93 there was one bar open in walking distance. I don't think I sobered up for a week. We got over a foot of snow that year, it was nuts.

I saw 3 snakes yesterday while I was doing yard work and so far I've seen about 15 this summer. It really seems like the snakes are bad this year, has anyone else noticed and increase in snake activity? Has anyone tried that Snake Away (saw it at Home Depot) stuff or know of a snake deterrent?

They really don't bother me in the yard, I'm pretty used to seeing them while I'm riding around cutting the grass, especially near the wooded areas but I'm finding these on my front porch, in the garage and one scared the $#@! outta me when I went to do some weeding in the flowerbed in the front of the house.
    What kind of snakes? What state do you reside in? Are you "out in the country?" Or more urban/suburban?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Move to Massachusetts Suz--the only snakes we have slithering around here are on Beacon Hill.

When I lived in Virginia on the Rapahannock River, I used to wear boots to mow the lawn because there were so many cotton mouths slithering around. I tried to kill one with a garden hoe and it ended up wrapping itself around the handle and coming at me. I dropped the hoe and ran. It's not as easy to kill those things as people think. Their skin is so hard that a hoe won't penetrate it.

I had a an inboard boat that I used to take out on the water there. There were tons of snakes down there and some even tried to slither up the side of the boat until I got far enough out in the ocean.

It's amazing the difference between New England and the south. I can sit out on my deck at night and never get bit by a mosquito. When I lived in Virginia--my dogs were covered with ticks, the mosquito's ate me up and yes--there were snakes everywhere. Our hard winters kill most of the vermin off up here. I love the warm temps all year round down south, but the damn bugs drove me crazy.

My parents had a Florida home and I never knew what a Palmetto bug was until they bought that place. It's basically a cockroach the size of a small dog with wings.
    Great story! You should become a writer if you're not already!

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    What kind of snakes? What state do you reside in? Are you "out in the country?" Or more urban/suburban?
    I dunno. I only saw the skins and tried not to look at them. I'm in Georgia and I live in the outer suburbs boarding on rural- we have all the snakes.

I've seen lots of King and rat snakes, and one hognose but my neighbor has a fountain an he has a ton of copperheads.

*crosses Maine off states I'd like to visit

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/194642410-story
    What kind of special $#@! calls the cops to report a snake skin in the woods?

See something say something...FFS

I'm betting it's either a hoax or a pet someone set free but, yeah, it would seem reasonable to call someone in herpetology at the local college but the cops? I called UGA about the hognose that I found in my garage. I didn't know what it was and it freaked me out.

We have had a lot more snakes this year, or at least a wider variety competing around the house. I am willing to bet there's a corresponding boom in critters we don't really see (mice, etc.), but there has also been a MASSIVE boom here in lizards... including some that look a bit different than the usual skittering, push-up doing, orange wattle flaunting Florida types we get all over the place. I do know that one of the corn snakes has figured out how to nudge between the hardie plank around the house (3-4 planks up) and strike out at the huge frogs in the area (experts will say that adult corn snakes don't eat frogs/lizards, but I've seen it happen if the lizard/frog is big and readily available). I'm sure that corner of the house is also where those mice I don't see during the day hang out at night. The corn snakes that won out are gray-mulch-colored, to match the debris and mulch around the area. They look like warped little boa constrictors lol

The black racer population is out of control, even with the corn snakes around. Mom surprised one by opening the garage door as it was sneaking along the divot between the door and the driveway. It slithered away super fast and all the lizards in the area stared after it. I hope we didn't embarrass it too much by blowing its cover.

But anyway, yes Suz, I'm not so far from you and we have a snake boom, a dip in the dragonfly population, and almost none of the little green treefrogs that pop out after a good rain this year.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

I don't know if another article makes it clearer, but there's some ambiguity as to whom the person reported the snakeskin. Maybe they reported it to the people who run the park, and those people (likely unarmed and scared $#@!less by the unusual size of the skin) called the cops? Or maybe it's a case of small-town-itis where the person who found the skin is related to a cop and called them. Or it could be just as you said, but dunno from this write-up.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    We have had a lot more snakes this year, or at least a wider variety competing around the house. I am willing to bet there's a corresponding boom in critters we don't really see (mice, etc.), but there has also been a MASSIVE boom here in lizards... including some that look a bit different than the usual skittering, push-up doing, orange wattle flaunting Florida types we get all over the place. I do know that one of the corn snakes has figured out how to nudge between the hardie plank around the house (3-4 planks up) and strike out at the huge frogs in the area (experts will say that adult corn snakes don't eat frogs/lizards, but I've seen it happen if the lizard/frog is big and readily available). I'm sure that corner of the house is also where those mice I don't see during the day hang out at night. The corn snakes that won out are gray-mulch-colored, to match the debris and mulch around the area. They look like warped little boa constrictors lol

The black racer population is out of control, even with the corn snakes around. Mom surprised one by opening the garage door as it was sneaking along the divot between the door and the driveway. It slithered away super fast and all the lizards in the area stared after it. I hope we didn't embarrass it too much by blowing its cover.

But anyway, yes Suz, I'm not so far from you and we have a snake boom, a dip in the dragonfly population, and almost none of the little green treefrogs that pop out after a good rain this year.
    We have the orange wattle lizards. I love those guys. We have three different kinds of lizards around my house but the orange wattles are the most abundant.

No troubles here. I just use Samuel L. Jackson Snake Away who has had it with those mother $#@!ing snakes on that mother $#@!ing plane!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Would be a serious improvement for the use of cops.

I live in the outer suburbs boarding on rural- we have all the snakes.
    Liberal public policy is forcing snakes out of the inner city.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-22-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast