Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes!

I've wanted to move to a Southern and/or Mid Atlantic state but this thread has me reconsidering. There are rattlesnakes here in the California hills but I have only seen one while jogging on a trail. Small one. Not moving at all.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All this talk of snake skins makes me think of Harry Dean Stanton in Alien when he stumbled upon the molted (I guess "shedded" is more technically correct..) skin of the creature's first incarnation...

Last edited by anaconda; 08-22-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I've wanted to move to a Southern and/or Mid Atlantic state but this thread has me reconsidering. There are rattlesnakes here in the California hills but I have only seen one while jogging on a trail. Small one. Not moving at all.
    We have all sorts of critters here, but that's the swampland portions of the South and Mid-Atlantic. The mountain areas seem to have fewer horror-movie critters in general, and have prettier seasons.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    We have had a lot more snakes this year, or at least a wider variety competing around the house. I am willing to bet there's a corresponding boom in critters we don't really see (mice, etc.), but there has also been a MASSIVE boom here in lizards... including some that look a bit different than the usual skittering, push-up doing, orange wattle flaunting Florida types we get all over the place. I do know that one of the corn snakes has figured out how to nudge between the hardie plank around the house (3-4 planks up) and strike out at the huge frogs in the area (experts will say that adult corn snakes don't eat frogs/lizards, but I've seen it happen if the lizard/frog is big and readily available). I'm sure that corner of the house is also where those mice I don't see during the day hang out at night. The corn snakes that won out are gray-mulch-colored, to match the debris and mulch around the area. They look like warped little boa constrictors lol

The black racer population is out of control, even with the corn snakes around. Mom surprised one by opening the garage door as it was sneaking along the divot between the door and the driveway. It slithered away super fast and all the lizards in the area stared after it. I hope we didn't embarrass it too much by blowing its cover. Then you're in for a big surprise waiting under your pillow.

But anyway, yes Suz, I'm not so far from you and we have a snake boom, a dip in the dragonfly population, and almost none of the little green treefrogs that pop out after a good rain this year.
    It's like the way y'all are talking there should be about a hundred thousand deaths per year by snake bite in your respective states. How do the people manage to avoid this fate? "Copperheads in water fountains?" "Cottonmouths on the lawn?" Etc.? Furthermore, it seems like there would be very frequent incidences of snakes gaining access to to the inside of residences.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-22-2016 at 08:58 PM.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Liberal public policy is forcing snakes out of the inner city.
    LOL, nope. My parents lived in-town and had copperheads in the backyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

It's like the way y'all are talking there should be about a hundred thousand deaths per year by snake bite in your respective states. How do the people manage to avoid this fate? "Copperheads in water fountains?" "Cottonmouths on the lawn?" Etc.? Furthermore, it seems like there would be very frequent incidences of snakes gaining access to to the inside of residences.
    They do. My neighbor gets them in her basement fairly regularly. And my next door neighbor had one come in her cat door. She found it in her cabinet in the middle of the night and came over here to sleep until she could call a wildlife removal service. I think the reason I don't see more of them is because I have a dog and my yard has a lot of activity.

My oldest son got bitten when he was little. Luckily, it wasn't venomous.

I found one of these guys in my garage. The one I found was bright yellow, though. Imagine finding that thing hissing at you and and striking - it's nose is turned up an it's neck flares out like a cobra - I'd never seen anything like it. Turns out they're not venomous and actually rather funny. They put on a big show and then play dead like a possum.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm betting it's either a hoax or a pet someone set free but, yeah, it would seem reasonable to call someone in herpetology at the local college but the cops? I called UGA about the hognose that I found in my garage. I didn't know what it was and it freaked me out.
    I figured it out.

WTF are the cops gonna do with it? Arrest it? Shoot it? A college or some snake enthusiast (weirdo) should get in there and catch it.

“Until the type of snake is determined and we can assess the safety risk, we caution people who recreate along the Presumpscot River to remain alert, maintain a safe distance from any wildlife, and report any sightings of the snake to the Westbrook Police Department,” police warned.

Cops believe the skin was likely left behind by a pet python that was dumped there.
    http://nypost.com/2016/08/22/this-ma...share=facebook

Just had to behead a black snake... The blade on my hoe is kinda dull so it was brutal. In hindsight, I have some .22 rat shot I could've used. His body just kept wriggling well after he had no head.

The poor bastard discovered he liked my chicken eggs. It looked like he had two of them in his body(?). He was so full he could barely move. I don't ever kill them until they make their way to the hen house but once they find the eggs, they just keep coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Just had to behead a black snake... The blade on my hoe is kinda dull so it was brutal. In hindsight, I have some .22 rat shot I could've used. His body just kept wriggling well after he had no head.

The poor bastard discovered he liked my chicken eggs. It looked like he had two of them in his body(?). He was so full he could barely move. I don't ever kill them until they make their way to the hen house but once they find the eggs, they just keep coming back.
    My uncle puts wooden eggs in his hen house to kill egg eating snakes.

You learn to live with what's around you. They do get into homes, or at least livable areas (garages, porches, etc.). When I was little both my mom and grandma passed a coiled up cottonmouth a few times before it made a move and got noticed. I remember staring at it from our window while waiting for the snake guy to come get it.

Black racers and rat snakes (corn snakes, etc.) are way more common and not that bitey. Racers will usually try to get away as quickly as possible, but I've had some strike at my shoes. I imagine it gives them a toothache for days afterwards. Corn snakes have a variety of tempers, so I generally don't take my chances with them. They are not venomous, either, but the bites are still painful enough to avoid.

This is no different than the damned suicidal giant deer up north, or the locusts that Maryland has every dozen or so years (I moved up and thought the world was ending only to be told it was normal for giant red locust grasshopper creatures to invade the area then drop dead and become a crunchy accompaniment to my commute), or the deep ridiculous snowfalls that happen in some areas, or the ice storms that bend power lines and cause trees to touch their toes.

Oh and in case you are dwelling on the locust thing:

Just no.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

My wife's grandparents used to live on the Ocoee River. About every year or two the river would flood and the water would come up to the second story of their house. The first floor would be crawling with copper heads. Her grandfather would go down there, pin the snakes head down, and then pick it up and chuck it back in the river.

I have a friend who came from a place called Baxley, Georgia down in the swamps. He told me his uncle used to win the rattlesnake festival every year. Apparently they would fill 55 gallon drums with them still alive.

My wife's grandparents used to live on the Ocoee River. About every year or two the river would flood and the water would come up to the second story of their house. The first floor would be crawling with copper heads. Her grandfather would go down there, pin the snakes head down, and then pick it up and chuck it back in the river.

I have a friend who came from a place called Baxley, Georgia down in the swamps. He told me his uncle used to win the rattlesnake festival every year. Apparently they would fill 55 gallon drums with them still alive.
    *shudders*

I would've moved. The summer I found 3 snakes in the garage, I told Mr Animal I was leaving if I found one more.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    *shudders*

I would've moved. The summer I found 3 snakes in the garage, I told Mr Animal I was leaving if I found one more.

I would still rather have these than mice/rats.

Don't listen to Melissa. She gots alligators and snakes everywhere. Screw a bunch of snakes. I dont even like looking at them. They're mean looking ugly.

I would still rather have these than mice/rats.
    How about none of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Don't listen to Melissa. She gots alligators and snakes everywhere. Screw a bunch of snakes.
    Don't worry, I can't hear her rational logic through my insane irrational fear.

Don't worry, I can't hear her rational logic through my insane irrational fear.
    Heh. I'd chop that mofo's head off in a hot second. I have, too.

Heh. I'd chop that mofo's head off in a hot second. I have, too.

Yet it loves you

Yet it loves you
    Don't fall for it, NC! I had a boyfriend tell me that right before he bit me.

Well now you made him sad And he had balloons and cake ready.

*note to self*
    stop looking at this thread after dark
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't listen to Melissa. She gots alligators and snakes everywhere. Screw a bunch of snakes. I dont even like looking at them. They're mean looking ugly.
    Yeah, I don't care for snakes one bit. But for some darned reason the kid got it in his mind that he loved snakes and had to have a pet snake. I took him to the reptile show just to let him take a look around (still hoping for a way to talk him out of it) and luckily he fell in love with a crested gecko. dodged that snake bullet, the gecko is kinda cute in a reptilian sorta way.

Nobody has addressed my incredulity that there isn't thousands of deaths by snake bite every year in these snake states. How come? The sidewalks should literally be covered with human corpses. From the accounts I am reading above.
    Last edited by anaconda; 08-24-2016 at 01:24 AM.

Nobody has addressed my incredulity that there isn't thousands of deaths by snake bite every year in these snake states. How come? The sidewalks should literally be covered with human corpses. From the accounts I am reading above.
    Not every snake is venomous and not every venomous bite is fatal but it still sucks. My son got bitten when he was a toddler, the damn snake was laying at the bottom of the steps to his slide and he stepped on it. Most snakebites happen because people are either messing with them or don't see them and accidentally step on them or stick their hand in weeds (weeding). Some snakes are more aggressive than others, too. King snakes will take off but copperheads will stand their ground.

Anaconda? You can't trick me. I think you're a snake plant.

What could possibly be so compelling atop this giant hunk of metal for these snakes? Doesn't seem like a great place to find food, for example...

What could possibly be so compelling atop this giant hunk of metal for these snakes? Doesn't seem like a great place to find food, for example...
    Bird's nest? I saw a snake in a tree once eating the babies. The mama bird was flying around going nuts, that's what got my attention.

Bird's nest? I saw a snake in a tree once eating the babies. The mama bird was flying around going nuts, that's what got my attention.
    This seems like a very smart guess.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It was the snake's fault.

Police: Woodstock woman killed while observing snake

MARYVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Officials say a Georgia woman has been fatally struck by a vehicle after getting out of her car to look at a snake in Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee.

Multiple news agencies report that park officials say 64-year-old Shirley Jean Alexander Clifton, of Woodstock, Georgia, was hit by an oncoming car Friday night along Foothills Parkway West near Chilhowee Lake.

Park rangers say Clifton had left her car to look at a snake on the road before she was struck.

Officials say there's no reason to believe the oncoming driver was at fault.

The incident remains under investigation.
    http://www.11alive.com/news/local/po...nake/310532237

That snake in Maine has more Twitter followers than I do.

https://twitter.com/search?q=Wessie%...0Thon&src=typd

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast