Thread: The Conservative Version of "You Didn't Build That" ...

The Conservative Version of "You Didn't Build That" ...

Audio link: http://www.schiffradio.com/pg/jsp/ve...=310&pid=65782

I'll try to keep an eye out for the 'tube version and post it here (if & when Tom puts one up) ...

"You Didn't Build That," Conservative Version
    http://tomwoods.com/blog/you-didnt-b...ative-version/
    Tom Woods (23 June 2014)

I did today’s show on my own, and addressed a recent conservative criticism of the idea of self-ownership. It’s worth reading the author’s follow-up remarks in the comments section at that link. He honestly believes that libertarianism views love, gift-giving, etc., as “irrational” and that we libertarians must therefore be”suspicious” of these things. After all, these things do not “maximize economic utility”!

Libertarianism is about the use of violence in society. It has nothing to do with gifts, love, voluntary human relationships, etc. So just because we don’t believe in initiating violence, we must be trying to “maximize economic utility,” extremely narrowly understood? Why do conservatives make this ridiculous leap?

An equally good question is how someone can critique a school of thought without knowing the first thing — and I mean the first thing — about it.

One of his arguments, incidentally, is that you don’t own yourself because you owe a lot of things to other people. No, that doesn’t make sense, but that is what he is saying — and he doubles down on it in the comments.

Here’s the audio of the show. Subscribe to the Tom Woods Show on iTunes or Stitcher so you don’t miss an episode — we’ll hit 200 next month! And get a free Tom Woods Show e-book by clicking here. (It’s really free. No strings.)
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reminds me of cheapseats.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.