Thread: Massie talks probability of hard drive failure with IRS head

Massie talks probability of hard drive failure with IRS head

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/gop-rep-m...with-mit-quip/

Republican Congressman Thomas Massie got into a bit of a back-and-forth with IRS Commissioner John Koskinen tonight during the hearing over Lois Lerner‘s hard drive crashing, and Massie had a snappy one-liner ready when Koskinen challenged him on a matter of probability.

Massie brought up the statistic that there’s a 3-5 percent chance that a hard drive would fail on a regular basis, but factoring in the 10 days it took between an inquiry for Lerner’s emails and for it to turn out that her hard drive crashed, Massie said that’s a probability of 1 in 1000.

Koskinen said, “That’s actually not how probability works.”

Massie shot back, “You don’t have to explain probability to me. I took the class at MIT.”
    video at link

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lolz....

the bad thing is that this dude does have a physics degree from an Ivy League so he does have some credibility on the issue.... but most people wont know that, so at least Thomas got that one over on him
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Massie was good. Of course he was at the end of the hearing.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    lolz....

the bad thing is that this dude does have a physics degree from an Ivy League so he does have some credibility on the issue.... but most people wont know that, so at least Thomas got that one over on him
    Duke isn't an Ivy League school.
    Last edited by amy31416; 06-24-2014 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Good catch
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Good catch
    What's odd, is that you would be claiming that it was, as some kind of apparent attempt to lend credibility to the clear lies being told by the IRS.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Top notch medical school though.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Top notch medical school though.
    You won't get any argument from me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    What's odd, is that you would be claiming that it was, as some kind of apparent attempt to lend credibility to the clear lies being told by the IRS.
    Well I was going to discredit the guy by pointing out that he is just an attorney or bureaucrat or something... so I looked him up and he sure enough has a physics degree

lolz....

Per Wikipedia

Koskinen graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BA in physics from Duke University in 1961, where he was a Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity and Phi Beta Kappa; graduated with an LLB, cum laude, (JD) from Yale University School of Law in 1964; and did post graduate work in Cambridge University, Cambridge, England from 1964 to 1965
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Well I was going to discredit the guy by pointing out that he is just an attorney or bureaucrat or something... so I looked him up and he sure enough has a physics degree
    Doesn't matter. Physicists are over rated in the credibility department anyhow. Everyone just assumes that they are qualified across the board because they are a physicist and it simply isn't the case. I don't personally put a whole lot of weight into a MIT degree either but that's another debate, I suppose.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-24-2014 at 10:26 AM.

MIT's pretty freaking awesome for tech programs, I don't care what anyone says.

I once copulated with a woman with a writing degree from MIT and she was no dummy.

I've studied a ton of physics and you really don't need to know much about probability to get a degree in the field. If his degree was in statistics or mathematics that would be another story, but a mere B.A. in Physics probably requires zero education in the mathematics of probability at all.

Yes but they generally run a flunkout program that is designed to accommodate foreign students who have actually benefitted from a well established education platform. Something that American students simply don't enjoy the luxury of having. And the politicians want to keep it that way with their little H1-B gag. I assume that this political phenomenon is derived from a misguided position that Americans should, in their mind, remain consumers of goods as opposed to producers of goods. It's another area of foreign policy that they get a free pass on because nobody questions them. When we hear the term foreign policy it's always in context with Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran and whatever circus is going on in Iraq. That's it...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-24-2014 at 10:36 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I've studied a ton of physics and you really don't need to know much about probability to get a degree in the field. If his degree was in statistics or mathematics that would be another story, but a mere B.A. in Physics probably requires zero education in the mathematics of probability at all.
    Agree. A physics degree would not require taking an actual class in Probability. I do have a Minor in Mathematics, and Advanced Probability is no cakewalk. Massie was right from a probability calculation perspective, Koskinen was wrong.

Of course Calculus would not exist without Physics...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Agree. A physics degree would not require taking an actual class in Probability. I do have a Minor in Mathematics, and Advanced Probability is no cakewalk. Massie was right from a probability calculation perspective, Koskinen was wrong.
    Thanks for the perspective, by comparison Koskinen sounded correct from an Intro to Statistics 101 perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Thanks for the perspective, by comparison Koskinen sounded correct from an Intro to Statistics 101 perspective.
    Yeah, Koskinen was misapplying one of the most basic rules. Koskinen cited the accurate premise that each flip of a coin has a 50/50 chance. But the statistics in question were over time-frames, such as multiple flips of the coin. Each flip has a 50/50 chance. The probability of coming up heads every day for a year is not 50/50. Then you have in the added complexity of multiple devices failing. Permutations and combinations. I don't even want to think about it...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...lecture-notes/

MIT probability course lecture notes..
    Last edited by JasonC; 06-26-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    - Jimi Hendrix

"If one rejects laissez faire on account of mans fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action."
    - Ludwig Von Mises, Planning for Freedom