Thread: Cheney Pours Cold Water On Rand Paul 2016: ‘Isolationism Doesn’t Work’

Cheney Pours Cold Water On Rand Paul 2016: ‘Isolationism Doesn’t Work’

Cheney Pours Cold Water On Rand Paul 2016: ‘Isolationism Doesn’t Work’ [VIDEO]

by Alex Pappas
    9:45 PM 06/23/2014

McLEAN, Va. — In one sentence, Vice President Dick Cheney summed up how unenthusiastic he is about Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul’s apparent aspirations to the presidency.

“I’ll leave it simply,” Cheney said in an interview with The Daily Caller on Monday at his home outside Washington. “Isolationism doesn’t work as a philosophy for defending the nation.”

“Isolationism, I think, is a flawed concept,” Cheney continued. “My disagreement with Rand Paul isn’t personal. It’s on substance. I just think he’s wrong.”

As Paul – the libertarian-leaning lawmaker who favors a more restrained foreign policy – mulls a White House bid as a Republican in 2016, Cheney — who is much more hawkish — is criticizing the Kentuckian’s views on America’s role in the world.

Cheney suggested Paul’s foreign policy is dangerous “given today’s technology” and “the ability of 19 guys with nothing more deadly than airline tickets and box cutters” to “come over here and strike the homeland in the worst attack ever on the United States of America.”

read more:
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/23/ch...nt-work-video/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isolationism doesn't work, but non intervention does.

I think we should start using the word imperialist in comments on articles like this.

They want to continue to tar Rand with the same isolationist crap, and neo-con just doesn't have the same sting as IMPERIALIST.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I think we should start using the word imperialist in comments on articles like this.

They want to continue to tar Rand with the same isolationist crap, and neo-con just doesn't have the same sting as IMPERIALIST.
    Imperialist sounds pretty weak to me. I always use 'Warmonger'.

Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    Imperialist sounds pretty weak to me. I always use 'Warmonger'.
    I think imperialist is the perfect antonym for isolationist.
    *shrug*
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

My headline would read:

Dick Cheney likes to play war games. With real people's lives!

My headline would read:

Dick Cheney likes to play war games. With real people's lives!
    I like that Cheney is gallantly showing off right in the crossfire. It should show the Iraqi flag on both sides.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has been said that a republic cannot survive the transition to empire.

I would also just like to mention that we had everything we needed to stop those nineteen guys with box cutters, but our bureaucracy had so many jealously competing departments that refused to work together that no one had the whole picture. In response to which we created yet another new bureau--the DHS. I would also like to point out that we had the assets to stop at least one or two of the aircraft, but that Dick Cheney personally ruled that the war games they were participating in at the time were more important than that.

So, how does he figure that, given a competent administration that doesn't find compartmentalization more important than the big picture and finds war exercises more important than actual defense of this nation, we can't defend ourselves without jacking with half the world and pissing them off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Wow, the comments below the article are actually really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Wow, the comments below the article are actually really good.
    Yes, for the most part they are. There are even comments that keep the conversation real, instead of team red against team blue.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

neither do wars for profit you old hag

No one cares what you think you lying stupid $#@! bag
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Imperialist interventionist.

What is weird is that Cheney is trying to peddle the idea that in 2001 America was pursuing an Isolationist foreign policy and that said policy enabled 9/11.

America was pursuing Cheney's foreign policy at the time. Its like everyone forgets Cheney was at the helm when the attacks happened. Ergo Whatever his plan was was *really* wrong for America.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care