Thread: MSNBC: Is Rand Paul a new voting rights advocate?

MSNBC: Is Rand Paul a new voting rights advocate?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Wow. I was surprised... The whole time I was thinking...wait for it...wait for it. And then I heard the words I was expecting... "That being said"...but what followed was actually rational and reasonable.

Slutter McGee

That segment was, to borrow the words from one of the guests, "good for Rand Paul, but not the republican party".
    I'm impressed that they didn't swing the whole discussion around to voter ID issues over and over and honestly I don't think I could ever have expected more fair shake to be given by this particular news channel.

Conservatives aren't going to like it - because when they hear things like "reaching out to minority voters" they think of it as being a clone of democrat freebie gimmicks, amnesty, special treatment, etc. Instead of showing how conservative government works better for them - or at least some of them. And taking the time to meet with them to make the case.

The main thing to notice here (to me) is that they seem to be recognizing Rand's genuineness in these matters. In the past they'd have said "He's saying some of the right things, but again, I don't see any action" "He's speaking out of both sides of his mouth" "I'm not going to give him any credit until he (fill in the blank)" "This isn't going to work for him" "This is the same guy who opposed the civil rights act" etc.

But this time they really seemed to, finally, take him at his word and stick mostly to the topic at hand without drudging up any issue they think their audience would find distasteful about him to counteract any agreement they might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Florida was an interesting point.
    It is.

It really is a bit alarming how many voters the democrats have waiting in the wings when you consider the illegal immigrant population that is trying to gain voting rights.
    On the non-violent criminal issue its just the right thing to do, but the republican party (and the liberty faction within it) will be at a net loss once enacted.

The best bet for republicans is to embrace it whole heartily and not fight it at all - it'll happen one day regardless and that way at least some of those who have their voting rights restored will thank the republicans for it.
    It would also be very wise for them to whole heartily repeal non-violent mandatory minimums while they're at it - and do more to roll back the drug war as time goes on.