Thread: Need door to door help - apps, ideas, more specific help?

Need door to door help - apps, ideas, more specific help?

I have a walking list for my entire county. We have just under 90,000 registered voters, but a majority of them rarely or never vote.

The walking list shows which primary ballot the voter took, if any, and what was the last election they voted in.

It's currently in Excel (or PDF) format, but lots of merged cells and incomplete data if you try to narrow the data down.

As an example it would show like this:

Main Street

123 Joe Blow data
    Jane Blow data
    125 Mike Smith data
    Mary Smith data
    Junior Smith data
    127 Jim Miller data

So, if you reduce to just voter name - you lose the street name, which makes the data worthless. In addition, the way the voter data is in the cells, is going to make it hard to mine too. If you feel up to the task - PM me your email and I can send you one precinct to see what I'm dealing with.

I'm running for office and need help getting this to a manageable format. Ideas?

I can create (program) database reports, but am not good at actual database set up.
    Last edited by mosquitobite; 06-22-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    YAY! Somebody DOING something, go you! Don't know if this will help, but I remember thesethreads

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hGeo-Walklists
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-amp-Trips-%29
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Thanks William!

I am excited!

I suppose, worst case I'll just have to take my laptop along for the ride and pull up excel.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

I takes some MS Excel data massaging to get a useful walk list. Work out your filtering/sorting procedures on a small sample first. (I might have even used FiieMaker Pro, 'cause my lists were HUGE.) [post #8 on 2nd url above]

If it's a good list, it can b made to show the few voters who actually voted in the last few elections... The ones who routinely vote! Unless you get a good response/vibe, those others will just waste your time and not show up to vote for (or against) you IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    I takes some MS Excel data massaging to get a useful walk list. Work out your filtering/sorting procedures on a small sample first. (I might have even used FiieMaker Pro, 'cause my lists were HUGE.) [post #8 on 2nd url above]

If it's a good list, it can b made to show the few voters who actually voted in the last few elections... The ones who routinely vote! Unless you get a good response/vibe, those others will just waste your time and not show up to vote for (or against) you IMO.
    The list itself is pretty good. It tells which ballot they took in the primary and if they voted in the general election, whether they vote only in Presidential years or if they don't in off-years (like this). Seasoned politicians say the ones who only vote every four years are ripe to gain, IF they have a REASON to go to the polls (ie, I knock on their door and they like me! )

ETA: someone is working on this for me!

RPF ROCKS!
    Last edited by mosquitobite; 06-22-2014 at 09:31 PM.

The campaign I worked on uses the Mobile Voter app for iOS or Android.

http://www.mobilevoter.us/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDavis View Post
    The campaign I worked on uses the Mobile Voter app for iOS or Android.

http://www.mobilevoter.us/
    I'm running too small of a race for that kind of investment.

The party (R) has some kind of voter database, but from everyone who has talked about it, the data is pretty worthless. I'm not sure why Republicans can't get a better system of voter details rolled out!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I did something similar for Gunny. I had free software that could automatically put any word (after certain sign: space, comma, dot, etc.) in new cell or join them in same. That way you would have:
    Name: Last name: street: street second word(later merge with street column) etc
    John Blow 1st brigade

It was a long time ago and I cant remember name of that software(or was it ad-in for excel). Sorry. Try duck duck gooing "free database software" or something like that. There is no need to do it manually. I am not sure if i explained it well enough.

Good luck.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Where there is a coder, there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Where there is a coder, there is a way.
    Wish I could give 1000 rep!