Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Now I have, that's a pretty nice example. I think it's slightly bigger than mine though. In regard to cutting bricks, it's arguably easier to make a bigger oven as you'll have to cut less.
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I first cut the brick lengthwise with the sawblade tilted a couple degrees. Then I have a 'blank' to cut two bricks out of, that have the right angle so the dome goes inwards. Then I simply put a piece of wood at the right angle on the saw table, put the brick in place and roll the table forwards. A piece of plywood clamped down works fine. Since the blade can tilt I can do some compound cuts, risky but I think I can manage.
    What kind of saw and blade did you use to cut the bricks?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    What kind of saw and blade did you use to cut the bricks?
    I'll make a pic tomorrow. It's the cheapest wetsaw I could find . 350mm/14" blade, 3.5HP.
    "I am a bird"

This is a dry cut blade that'll last a long time in water.....

This is a dry cut blade that'll last a long time in water.....

I have one of those on my large angle grinder. The wetsaw has a different blade though, no expansion gaps. It's the blade that came with the machine. It works well, as you can see. The only downside to the one you pictured above is a very loud high pitch whistling sound that comes from it. I sometimes saw through something small without ear protection but not with this machine..
    "I am a bird"

The wetsaw, I must say this blade gives less chipped edges than the other blade. The whistling noise it produces is absolutely abhorrent though. But it's LOADED with diamonds and a new one is 100$+ so I'm still stuck with this one for a while.

I dry stacked a couple layers. It pretty much fits the profile exactly. So I tapered them at the correct angles. Also the amount of weird gaps in between/underneath stones appears to be minimal up to at least the 6th course. Out of 15 or so. Looks better than I had expected. I'm impressed with myself, having never done this before.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 10-22-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    "I am a bird"

2 Courses done.. 14 to go ?

I'm quite satisfied with the tight joints, however it does take a lot of time to get it neat.. Cutting the bricks to size actually takes much less time than sticking them into place. I'd have thought it would be the other way around.

Oh and that white thing there is a heating cable. Used in terrariums etc. I'm using it overnight to slightly heat the floor. Covered with wool blankets.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 10-24-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Well, it's not easy. I can say that much. It takes time. I do like the result.

Just sticking them on there is not a problem.. Getting them at exactly the right angle while also completely filling the joint is.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not too much time to work on the oven at the moment. I did cut some bricks and stuck a couple on the dome. The worst part is having to wait for the bricks to dry after cutting them.

Slowly but surely though it's starting to look like something. (the stains are water soluable)

Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 11-13-2015 at 05:36 AM.
    "I am a bird"

It's spring!

I took the cover off, put the saw back together and cut some bricks for the oven opening.
    "I am a bird"

It's spring!

I took the cover off, put the saw back together and cut some bricks for the oven opening.
    It's about $#@!ing time!

It's about $#@!ing time!

Yeah well, this job pays nothing and the boss is an $#@!.
    "I am a bird"

Yeah well, this job pays nothing and the boss is an $#@!.
    Believe me I understand......

Just wait until you've got a split-tail driving you.......

^^visible ?

Right, so this is the situation. I cut all the beveled blanks for the opening arch. Tying that into the dome is a bitch however. So far my method of complete form-free, guide-free sticking of bricks is working just fine. I only have a straightedge to check for the right elevation angle and a level to check if the bricks are level... Then just to double-check I use a tape measure every now and then to check if brick-centerpoint is still 50cm. (it's at 25degrees right now so a total of 18 courses will be needed to make 90)

The white stuff, dunno, doesn't seem to interfere with anything. Falls off cleanly when brushed. Not sure what it is. Might be from sawing all those bricks (we have pretty hard water here) in combination with the pH of the refractory glue (which is high).

I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.. I must say, making a dome isn't that complicated, even if you want to cut bricks to size. I've found that the best way to do it (with this kind of thin joints) is to saw all the bricks for a single course in 4 groups. Vary the width of the bricks slightly. This way it's pretty easy to manage any creeping up on the joint of the brick below or to stop tapered joints from occurring, especially the ones tapered the wrong way.

Working on it is pretty cool though. Especially those arch bricks are awesome. Takes a load of concentration though. It's really easy to forget which side you have to cut from when bricks are tapered and cut in several different ways.. I started using paper to transfer the shapes I need, that works pretty well.

And yeah, it's true, there's absolutely no reason to build an oven like this. I've only seen one other example of an oven built this way, it's posted somewhere earlier in this topic.. But I like a little challenge.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 04-16-2016 at 05:24 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Do you own a bevel gauge?

Do you own a bevel gauge?

Multiple. However, they are not easy to use on this project as a lot of stuff gets in the way one way or another because of the curvature. So I'd need a tiny one, which I don't have lol.

I mark where I want my brick to end with a pencil. Then I put a piece of paper over the spot I want to cut the brick for, moving it next to the adjoining brick with enough space for the joint. Then I mark the pencil line on the paper and press the shape of the front into the paper. I cut out the template and trace it on my brick. Then I check, recheck and triplecheck to make sure my angles are correct. This because my saw only bevels one way, so I have to saw some angles backwards, if that makes sense. The saw isn't 100% straight so I have to take that into account as well (it was a cheap saw lol but it works fine).

Sounds complicated but it works.

Oh and I'd never use nice tools like the ones in your pic on a project like this, they're gonna get messed up. I happen to know what those things cost.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 04-16-2016 at 05:34 AM.
    "I am a bird"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Multiple. However, they are not easy to use on this project as a lot of stuff gets in the way one way or another because of the curvature. So I'd need a tiny one, which I don't have lol.
    By using parallel blocks or even a trained eye angles can be transferred using one (or several), I find them indispensable when doing double curvature work...

I've known nuts over the years who will plot compound angles mathematically for curved railing...

By using parallel blocks or even a trained eye angles can be transferred using one (or several), I find them indispensable when doing double curvature work...

I've known nuts over the years who will plot compound angles mathematically for curved railing...
    I must say, I prefer the majority of bricks for which I simply calculate the angles and cut a whole bunch . Math can't go wrong if you're doing it right. I only have to make templates for the arch and some odd pieces to make the arch fit.
    "I am a bird"

I must say, I prefer the majority of bricks for which I simply calculate the angles and cut a whole bunch . Math can't go wrong if you're doing it right. I only have to make templates for the arch and some odd pieces to make the arch fit.
    That works painlessly plotting angles on a spherical dome but try plotting angles on differing points of an ellipse.....

Are ya getting close?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

That works painlessly plotting angles on a spherical dome but try plotting angles on differing points of an ellipse.....
    Well sure, that's a bit more complicated but it can be done with piece of paper and some math. However, these days, I prefer using a CAD program that I will feed the ellipse information and it will draw it for me. If I then want to subdivide it with angles or whatever, it's a piece of cake. I wouldn't say it's massively more difficult to do on a piece of paper than it is with a circle. The math is pretty much the same, the formula for an ellipse is a bit more complicated but that's all.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Are ya getting close?

Well I've got 6 courses down.. 12 more to go.

Luckily they are getting smaller and they will have fewer bricks in them at some point. The difficult part is the opening arch. Once that's out of the way, the rest is a piece of cake. I've become pretty good at cutting bricks, in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 04-16-2016 at 05:56 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Well sure, that's a bit more complicated but it can be done with piece of paper and some math. However, these days, I prefer using a CAD program that I will feed the ellipse information and it will draw it for me. If I then want to subdivide it with angles or whatever, it's a piece of cake. I wouldn't say it's massively more difficult to do on a piece of paper than it is with a circle. The math is pretty much the same, the formula for an ellipse is a bit more complicated but that's all.
    I'm glad to be able to access the interwebs with a 'puter.........

Drawings are still done by hand in my shop....

I'm glad to be able to access the interwebs with a 'puter.........

Drawings are still done by hand in my shop....
    A time will come when people can no longer draw by hand. I'm glad I still can .
    "I am a bird"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kind of funny how there are 17 pages to this topic but only the last two are on the building of the actual oven part.. I'll stop talking about that before someone points out that's because of me. I haven't even made any pizza's in the last couple of months... Maybe I should make some next week. I'm making a lot of burgers though..

Anyways, found this pic as well.

"I am a bird"

Now I know this is taking a long time but I've got a life as well. I'd have loved it if this thing was done already but I'm not someone who cuts corners. At least not easily. But yeah, the actual oven isn't going to take too much longer. The weather is clearing up a bit, temps are up, which means my bricks dry faster and that in turn means I can stick them onto the oven faster. As opposed to regular cement where a little bit of moisture is necessary to get a proper bond, the stuff I'm working with works best when the bricks are bone dry.

Anyways, I'm working on the arch you can see in the post above. This is the most complicated part of the entire oven. I made a new mould for the arch, re-tapered the bricks I already cut because they were cut too steep. Things really get complicated when you work within such a small tolerance. It's quite a challenge. Once the arch is in, the rest of the dome is a piece of cake. About 55% of it is done now. The chimney section should be a walk in the park on a sunny day compared to that as everything is straight.. Conclusion; the oven will be finished before the summer.

Pics will follow later.
    "I am a bird"

Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 04-30-2016 at 04:43 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Quitcherbellyachin!

You'd only eat one piece and fill up on wine anyway........

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast