Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

That better?
    yep. I can see it now.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That better?
    Yup, thanks!

Ya' might need hurricane straps to hold it down...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Yup, thanks!

Ya' might need hurricane straps to hold it down...
    I guess I'm going to thank you for at least the next decade for pointing out to me that arches get keyed. These details really make the oven. I'd have pm'ed you this but your inbox is full so I'll thank you publicly for it.. Many thanks. Out of rep again.........
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 04-04-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    "I am a bird"

I guess I'm going to thank you for at least the next decade for pointing out to me that arches get keyed. These details really make the oven. I'd have pm'ed you this but your inbox is full so I'll thank you publicly for it.. Many thanks. Out of rep again.........
    covered.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're very welcome!

It looks fantastic..

Off to clean out my inbox..

Today the pavement around the oven is being redone. I'm not doing this myself, I've tried doing pavement a couple times but it's not my thing. Not a real precise science and it has to slope a bit towards the water at the lower part of the yard. Ah well, we've got a guy who's been doing this all his life and he loves to do it... It's going to look nice, pics later!
    "I am a bird"

Ok well... Pavement done. Firebricks and insulation materials have arrived. I really wanted to have the rest of my plans finalized before I start working so I won't get any nasty surprises along the way. Hence I made a few drawings, which are to size but some details are lacking still. The hot face of the chimney is lines, so is the roof. But it's good to have these things figured out.

So I started the drawing at the floor level, I still have to draw the floor and underfloor insulation but that's details I don't really care about at this point. I mostly wanted to know the height of the dome and how high my chimney support would be if it were to go over that.

The blueish grey is reinforced concrete. Also notice the two small columns next to the oven entrance, these are to buttress the chimney arch, which is a much flatter arch. The light blue is cal-sil insulation board.

I want to support the chimney by casting a concrete arch into place. With plenty reinforcement. Most people building these ovens simply support their chimney on the dome, usually on top of some vermicrete insulation. I don't want to put the force of my chimney onto the dome though. I'm making a bigger chimney than most and want better insulation values. As it stands here there's 4inches of clearence between the dome and the supporting arch.

Thought I might share this. Replies are welcome!
    "I am a bird"

That better?
    Looks outstanding! Once you get it finished pizza is gonna just taste better regardless of how it is made.

Time flies when you are busy. Luckily I have found some time to work on the oven. I have made two moulds for the chimney buttress and the more important parts of the chimney support are laying behind that. Took some copy routing to get that done but it worked out fine. I still have to decide on the width of the arc. It shouldn't be much wider than a brick but I think I'll just make it a little wider in case it starts chipping on the edges.

"I am a bird"

Picture no workie?

Picture no workie?

Weird, it works for me. Does it work like this ? Thumbnail instead of direct image link (click it).

(maybe these two didn't work either ? from post 307)

Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-12-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    "I am a bird"

testing for luctor.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Weird, it works for me. Does it work like this ? Thumbnail instead of direct image link (click it).

(maybe these two didn't work either ? from post 307)

I can now see 3 pics!

Friggin' double posts......
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-12-2015 at 03:50 PM.

I can now see 3 pics!
    I can now see 3 pics!
    Does seeing them twice make 6?
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Does seeing them twice make 6?
    Well he has two eyes... So I guess yeah, he saw them 6 times. In fact, it changes your question entirely. It's 6 or 12 times. And just imagine if you are drunk, then it's 12 or 24 times. Makes me dizzy already.
    "I am a bird"

Well he has two eyes... So I guess yeah, he saw them 6 times. In fact, it changes your question entirely. It's 6 or 12 times. And just imagine if you are drunk, then it's 12 or 24 times. Makes me dizzy already.
    How do you know how many eyes tod has?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

That's an assumption..
    "I am a bird"

He's got at least four.

He's got at least four, six if he wears glasses.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Did you know I'm actually worried that by the time the oven is finished I don't like pizza anymore because I've eaten so many ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Did you know I'm actually worried that by the time the oven is finished I don't like pizza anymore because I've eaten so many ?
    "I am a bird"

Ha!

Now you're double posting too.....

NSA must have a glitch........

Ha!

Now you're double posting too.....

NSA must have a glitch........
    The forum tubes seem to be clogged up a bit. You know... TUBES.

Lol btw got any comments on my drawings ?
    "I am a bird"

Oh good grief.......

Nuthin' I have to say is worth posting twice...
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-12-2015 at 05:08 PM.

The forum tubes seem to be clogged up a bit. You know... TUBES.

Lol btw got any comments on my drawings ?
    Corbels must support something so consider some type of cornice or frieze and cornice...

I'd also like to see your chimney design included in the drawings, please.

Corbels must support something so consider some type of cornice or frieze and cornice...

I'd also like to see your chimney design included in the drawings, please.
    Yeah they will support a flat piece of colored concrete or stone. I don't want to make it too detailed but a couple nice details with small reveals and nice edges makes it a lot nicer to look at. I'm very happy with the masonry on the underside, it creates some depth.

The chimney is going to be interesting, since it's going to pass through a roof, so when you stand next to the oven you can't really see it. You can see it from the sitting area though.
    "I am a bird"

Here are the moulds. Now I need to bend some rebar and attach that to the slab with chemical anchors. Close the arch mould up and strengthen it a bit. Good to have this out of the way because I think it's hard to cast these things after I build the oven, at least without possibly damaging it and making it much more difficult. Overall there should be more than 4" clearance between the oven and the concrete arch. Filled up with insulation.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-14-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    "I am a bird"

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Here are the moulds. Now I need to bend some rebar and attach that to the slab with chemical anchors. Close the arch mould up and strengthen it a bit. Good to have this out of the way because I think it's hard to cast these things after I build the oven, at least without possibly damaging it and making it much more difficult. Overall there should be more than 4" clearance between the oven and the concrete arch. Filled up with insulation.
    Should you run another buttress leg to the rear?

It'd make sense to me.....And it would be stronger than hell if you poured it monolithic....

[edit]

Using your arch form add 1/2 an arch tied into the full one in the picture, effectively making it a three legged structure..
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-14-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Should you run another buttress leg to the rear?

It'd make sense to me.....And it would be stronger than hell if you poured it monolithic....
    You mean from the middle/top of the arch to the rear of the oven ?

Basically the oven has 3 layers of heat and all are separated from each other by about 1/2" which I fill with ceramic rope and heat resistant caulking. The oven itself which is about half a ball (not entirely) is the hottest part. Then there's the chimney section which is about 1ft deep, this is between the two buttresses. Then in front of that (layer 3) there's the regular masonry that I've been working with so far.

The two small buttresses in front are because the oven entrance/chimney section is a flatter arch. Unlike the opening in the oven itself which is an arch like the arches on the lower part of the oven. I'll put calsil pressure resistant insulation between the concrete and the chimney bricks.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The big arch doesn't touch anything on the oven, it's specifically so that I do not have to put the weight of the chimney (asymmetrically) onto the oven/oven opening and so I can keep my expansion gap between the different temperature zones.
    "I am a bird"

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast