Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    At this rate you'll be under water.....

Actually it's lookin' good.
    We are the Dutch, we build dykes if we have to. And no it's not going to take that long.. The end is in sight. More or less.
    "I am a bird"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    We are the Dutch, we build dykes if we have to. And no it's not going to take that long.. The end is in sight. More or less.
    I'm just giving you $#@!....

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm just giving you $#@!....
    I'm not into global warming either.
    "I am a bird"

The 11th course. Reducing from 36 to 18 bricks in a course. Thought it would be a major headache but they fit nicely.

The chimney, tested it out with some hay and it draws nicely. Left a space on both sides so I can fit a bar in there to suspend stuff that has to be smoked. I can probably sell my smoker when this is done.
    "I am a bird"

At this rate you'll be under water.....

Actually it's lookin' good.
    It must be costing a small fortune to keep renewing the permits to build that thing.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    It must be costing a small fortune to keep renewing the permits to build that thing.
    I gave them to him.No charge.

Permits ?

So since I took out the floor, I just stuck some pieces of brick on the center-point so I can continue building this thing form-free. Essentially all the bricks are cut so that when I put a straightedge on the side or top of the brick it hits the center-point.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-13-2016 at 03:23 AM.
    "I am a bird"

^^^Finally! A pizza!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    ^^^Finally! A pizza!!!!
    Not the best either. Not too bad but definitely not exiting. It used to be that going out for dinner would mean better tasting food but the last couple of years I rather eat at home . But takeaway pizza is convenient sometimes.
    "I am a bird"

Not the best either. Not too bad but definitely not exiting. It used to be that going out for dinner would mean better tasting food but the last couple of years I rather eat at home . But takeaway pizza is convenient sometimes.
    I don't care, I'm just glad to see a pizza in the damn oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't care, I'm just glad to see a pizza in the damn oven.
    It's just the box... The pizza is long gone. I needed something that's a bit softer (than the brick underfloor) in case I drop a brick while sticking it on there. Amazingly though, this mortar-glue stuff is pretty damn strong. After 10 seconds or so it's hard to move these large bricks. I think even at 90 degrees they will stick although I'm quite sure they will fall off once it's been dried out since there's hardly any tensile strength.
    "I am a bird"

Ordered the last materials I need to finish the oven/floor and insulation... When it comes in I should be able to finish the dome within a reasonable amount of time. 7 courses to go I think. I suspect it will be 18-18-18-18-18-9-1 bricks or something pretty similar. Got the first 18 of those ready to be stuck on. Although about half the time I have to grind a bit away to make a nice fit.
    "I am a bird"

I really like how this looks.. Quite proud of it. I'm not complaining about it taking too long, no regrets.

One layer up since the last pics. Starting to look like a dome isn't it ?
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-16-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    "I am a bird"

I want to know the trick to cutting firebrick with red-handled scissors?

I want to know the trick to cutting firebrick with red-handled scissors?
    Paper templates !
    "I am a bird"

Well, one more then. Snapped this pic so might as well upload it... Here you can see the center-point I'm using as a guide. Oh, and I'm now using a mirror so I can look at the inside in a more comfortable way.

"I am a bird"

Oh, and I'm now using a mirror so I can look at the inside in a more comfortable way.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

"I am a bird"

Burger looks dry.
    "I am a bird"

Well, looks like I have to wait to the end of next week or the beginning of the week after that for my materials.

In the meantime I'll be spending some of my spare time into the surrounding structure. I've ordered some lumber to make the wood frames for the rear and I've made a plan for the masonry in front. Since I put a couple hours of thinking into my early drawings everything seems to fit nicely and I won't have to do crazy stuff to make it work, especially the brick pattern, for some reason the dimensions of my oven are perfect for it. The roof is going to be significantly more complicated because it's an octagon and I have no real ability to brace the thing halfway or at the bottom. Luckily there will not be too much weight on top. I think I figured it out. It would have been a lot easier but I have a height constraint since there are beams above the oven for the veranda roof. The way I've got it drawn up right now with plenty space for insulation around the oven, the top of the roof will be about 3" from one of the beams..

The roof is mostly for decoration but it will have to handle all the water that comes from the veranda roof at the chimney since the veranda roof has gutter style lexan on top, in hindsight it would have been a lot nicer to just use wood and ceramic tiles for the veranda with two large windows in there for some light, a bit more expensive but it would have been a gazillion times more convenient to fit a chimney through there without leakage. I'm going to have to get a plumber over to bend/solder some custom zinc gutters around the chimney hole. There's like 30" between the beams, they are at a 7degree, and the chimney is supposed to be 24", so there's not a lot of space to fit some zinc gutters. The space in between the beams I'm going to fill with some wood so you don't see the gutters and it's a bit neater...

Long story, which I'm sure nobody will read, but sometimes writing something down helps making things clear. This topic is a bit like a notepad for me, I use it to generate ideas. Who knows, maybe someone can learn from the mistakes I'm making.
    "I am a bird"

Pop for copper flashing!

You've put all this time and money into it don't cut corners now.

Pop for copper flashing!

You've put all this time and money into it don't cut corners now.
    I really like the look of copper flashing.. It doesn't fit the look of the house though.
    Since it's a small roof, I was thinking about small roofing tiles, the flat ones, used a lot in France. Dark grey with a lot of contrast.

I'm not going to put something ugly on the roof.

Instead of copper, zinc could be an option. As far as cost goes. I think everything together, including some of the tools I bought (watercooled 14" stone saw) it's around 5k (copper roof could change that, not common around here so it's expensive). The firebricks being the single most expensive part.
    "I am a bird"

I really like the look of copper flashing.. It doesn't fit the look of the house though.
    Since it's a small roof, I was thinking about small roofing tiles, the flat ones, used a lot in France. Dark grey with a lot of contrast.

I'm not going to put something ugly on the roof.

Instead of copper, zinc could be an option. As far as cost goes. I think everything together, including some of the tools I bought (watercooled 14" stone saw) it's around 5k (copper roof could change that, not common around here so it's expensive). The firebricks being the single most expensive part.
    Zinc is what threw the flags for me...stainless or even lead will out live zinc, copper turns a cool shade of green, quickly if you acid wash it, brown if you heat and oil it..

Zinc is what threw the flags for me...stainless or even lead will out live zinc, copper turns a cool shade of green, quickly if you acid wash it, brown if you heat and oil it..
    Which is why I prefer using ceramic tiles. They will outlast me.

Like these;

Available used/weathered and new in many different colors/sizes, small enough so it doesn't look ridiculous on such a small roof.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 08-23-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    "I am a bird"

Which is why I prefer using ceramic tiles. They will outlast me.
    Flashing with tile isn't something I've ever heard of though....

The zinc flashing used here isn't like what was available 50+ years ago, it rots in 10-15 years now..Whereas copper, lead and stainless all last unless they're perforated...

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The zinc flashing used here isn't like what was available 50+ years ago, it rots in 10-15 years now..Whereas copper, lead and stainless all last unless they're perforated...
    Burnt copper for any ridges-n-valleys, even rafter ends if you don't close in the soffit and fascia....

I like those tiles!

The Zinc here is good I guess, I don't know. The stuff we already have here in zinc is at least 20 years old and it looks like it's new. Haven't had a problem with it. Like I said, copper is not a usual material around here, not many people working with it, making it even more expensive.
    "I am a bird"

Good news, the remaining materials for the dome will be delivered this week or Monday next week. Lets get this thing done and make some pizza's.
    "I am a bird"

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast