Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

What about this ? I do like the offset stones, they make a sort of band around the whole structure and look as if they hold them together. Maybe the bottom 2 courses should be normal... Something to play with but I do like the pattern. It's not exactly that Flemish bond but it's similar, looks decent if you ask me.

<click to enlarge>

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thanks a lot, I'm building it for myself off course but it's a great compliment if other people like it. Especially people that know a lot about building things... Thanks !

You're welcome!

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool project!

Sportsmans Guide is selling some. Might give you some ideas...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...oker?a=1157556
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...oven?a=1714462
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-oven?a=790502
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...inea?a=1143760
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...oven?a=1559230

Understand you like thin crust, but going the other way for the rest of us... There is a legendary pizza place at the bottom of "The Hill" in Boulder Colorado. They make pizzas that are kind of a cross between a pizza, and a taco salad and a meatloaf. Inches of toppings! I'm sure cooking is a bit different. I remember it taking a really long time 30+ min. Something you want to bring friends to help you eat or have food for the week+...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Cool project!

Sportsmans Guide is selling some. Might give you some ideas...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...oker?a=1157556
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...oven?a=1714462
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-oven?a=790502
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...inea?a=1143760
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...oven?a=1559230

Understand you like thin crust, but going the other way for the rest of us... There is a legendary pizza place at the bottom of "The Hill" in Boulder Colorado. They make pizzas that are kind of a cross between a pizza, and a taco salad and a meatloaf. Inches of toppings! I'm sure cooking is a bit different. I remember it taking a really long time 30+ min. Something you want to bring friends to help you eat or have food for the week+...

-t
    I think I have seen the first oven in real life at some sailing event. That's a pretty nice thing and I'd totally get it if I weren't building a stone oven. It's a bit cheaper and more portable. I guess the quality of pizza that coms out is more or less the same. Still it's not the same for me. The second one is nice since it's cheap, I'd get that one just for fun, can't be too bad.

Yeah I do like thin crust, otherwise it's more of a pie to me. I'm open to other things tough. Sounds like good food. Nothing wrong with that but I'm not sure if I would call it pizza !

I cut the bricks for the bottom course. I also made templates for the arches out of some leftover bookshelves. The jigsaw I borrowed definitely works better than mine. I have been thinking of ways to get my cord in the right place to mortar everything in place. Since the top of the interior blockwork is level (about 1-2mm difference maximum) I'm thinking of making a framework that sits on top and drops down, I can then turn it 45 degrees and do the next side. Otherwise I'd have to plant a load of sticks and it would make it impossible to walk around the project. I want to start with something that's accurate enough and then use my eye, level and straightedge to determine wether I'm satisfied. The bricks aren't perfect so there's some room to play but things look nicer when they're actually straight.

Had coffee today with my contractor friend that borrowed me the cement mixer, he thought instead of stone sills(not drawn) I could also use masonry sills, which rise a little above the concrete level, I could then level it all with some tiles inside the wood compartment. I have drawn it but I'm not yet sure what I prefer. I'd love some opinions.

<click to enlarge>

or

Any input is appreciated.

My vote goes to the bottom picture...

It took me a few minutes to see the difference but I agree with tod evans, I vote bottom.

I sort of agree, if only because it means I can put more detailing in, such as a tile floor in the wood compartment, totally overdone but not that much more work. It does save me a number of half bricks that I have to cut so +1 for that. I do lose the kind of line that goes from the arch into the standing half bricks but the arches become more 'arch-like'. That probably doesn't mean anything. I guess once it's finished you don't see the things that were once considered, except if you built it. I think it will be option 2..

Now it's time to think about an onion shaped dome.......

(Kidding!)

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Now it's time to think about an onion shaped dome.......

(Kidding!)
    I have considered making the actual dome of the oven an octagon as well since it would require a whole lot less cutting to get very accurate thin joints (1-2mm). The heat distribution and strength of a more round shape are superior though. I still haven't decided anything towards this yet so I'm still open for suggestions, the only thing limiting me is the interior diameter of 40" or 100cm.

To tell you the truth I expected to receive few pizza slices by mail by now.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    To tell you the truth I expected to receive few pizza slices by mail by now.
    I'd send you one when it's done but I cannot guarantee that it arrives hot.

So I made a tool to help me with the brickwork, since it's an octagon it was going to be a lot of sticks all around with a lot of work getting everything level. This way I may have to make a minute adjustment but it's easy to confirm if everything is level. I put it in place and then load some weight on top so it doesn't move. And I just turn the whole thing 45 degrees to work on the other sides.

<click to enlarge>

Best of all, I didn't have to go out and buy anything, it was all leftover material or scraps. It should be fine like this, maybe when I get a bit higher I have to change the position of the front brace since that may get into the way a bit. I'm quite satisfied with it and pretty sure this will work.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.

We are currently experiencing two weeks of moderately good weather, no rain predicted and temperatures are around 20-24C / 68-75F. So I decided to paint my workshop which had only had a coat of primer and one coat of colored paint. Two sides and the window/door frames to go (different color). Maybe I'll make some mortar after dinner and test if my tool-thingy works. This paint really needs to go on before the winter (at least imo) and these two weeks may be the last chance at several days of good dry weather.

After painting my workshop the last few days back to the pizza oven, during the first bit of work I snapped this pic:

Here are some more pics I took where you can sort of see what it's going to look like. I have cut every brick so far to size. Some in half, the bottom course is completely split since I measure the courses from the top I had to do this or there would have been no room for mortar, now it's quite a thick joint.

<click to enlarge>

As you can see it's quite horrible to reach in and place stones, however I am dealing with it, my back is not liking me.

Just a reminder that this is not my job, so I can't do this too fast without making mistakes. In the background is some of the paintwork I did earlier this week.

They must really like pizza a lot on Mars... My pavement looks exactly like Mars' surface.

My friend, took some time to before we trusted each other but our relationship is very strong. I do use a dust filter in my breathing mask, I have cut a couple stones without it but I end up looking like an idiot with 2 red bars under his nose. It's clay powder, not sure if it's unhealthy but I'm not going to find out.

And I bought 6 pieces of 100cm stainless threaded rod (M6 / approx 1/4 inch) that I will cut up and bend so they can go in to reinforce the corners.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-06-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quick pic... With the brick pattern... Looking quite nice I think.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been fighting a bit with the mould for the keystone. Turns out I didn't notice that while drawing it the top and bottom in the drawing weren't exactly parallel but the top line is slightly V-shaped because I had drawn it directly over the bricks I had in the initial drawing. This made the angles different so when I finished sawing once piece I was stunned to find out that the angles were exactly right but for some reason the bottom line was 16mm short. I should have drawn it on the wood from the length of these lines without using the angles... Anyways, it was frustrating since I took the measurements from my 3d drawing and transferred them to a piece of scrap paper.. At first I thought my angle device was wrong, but I had used it a lot before and a 5degree error seemed too much.

When I drew the keystone again, out of nothing, with the original top/bottom measurements I was amazed to find out that the angles were different, I still didn't know why. So I copied the faulty keystone and placed them on top of each other. It then became apparent that the top line was V-shaped instead of straight.. Luckily I still have some more phenol coated board but it's amazing how much time such a stupid mistake swallows up.

Also I'm going to use a stone table saw for the rest, the angle grinder works fine but for the really accurate stuff where I don't have the comfort of losing inaccuracy in the joints it's going to be a lot easier. Also it will save me my back. (5/6 stones so far have been cut one or more times..)

At this point I hate myself for the octagon, everything that is giving me a hard time is related to it. But then.. When I stand in front and stare at it, I'm in love with it and it's worth the frustration.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-15-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Most anything built looks better with increased difficulty...

Keep on keepin' on...

You're balls deep now homie, time to cross the river.

2 years ago I changed out my roof. This past month I decided the moldy kitchen cabinets had to finally go. That project spiralled out of control into new sheetrock and insulation on 35 feet of exterior wall and foundation. Which spiralled into new plumbing on the wall... Which spiralled into new electrical in the wall... which spiraled into new electrical in 1/2 of my home when I realized that a good part of my household wall outlets were wired on LAN internet cables with 20 amp breakers. Yikes!

A few days ago I finally got all the electrical plumbing and insulating done. Putting up the 10 sheets of sheetrock was a huge turning point. I have my home back! New cabinets is going to be next year.

I suspect once you get your second slab poured you're going to have that same sense of turning point as you transition from foundation work to oven work.
    Last edited by presence; 09-15-2014 at 08:45 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Yesterday i wanted a boiled egg.I put it in small kettle pot added water and on put it on fire. I forgot about it until I heard BOOOM from my kitchen. Freaking egg EXPLODED!!! I dont mean popped I mean exploded. Most of it got glued on ceiling.

I cant believe that egg can explode. How?

Now I have to repaint my kitchen. Stains cant be removed.

If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Most anything built looks better with increased difficulty...

Keep on keepin' on...
    I have wanted a pizza oven for about 10 years, so a couple weeks/months isn't the problem.. I totally agree that you need a bit of complexity for beauty although it's a fine line. I must say I appreciate the encouragement a lot, can't say that much about my friends here at home. They mostly think I am taking too long. I agree that it's taking a long time but I'd rather spread it out than compromise on detail.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    You're balls deep now homie, time to cross the river.

2 years ago I changed out my roof. This past month I decided the moldy kitchen cabinets had to finally go. That project spiralled out of control into new sheetrock and insulation on 35 feet of exterior wall and foundation. Which spiralled into new plumbing on the wall... Which spiralled into new electrical in the wall... which spiraled into new electrical in 1/2 of my home when I realized that a good part of my household wall outlets were wired on LAN internet cables with 20 amp breakers. Yikes!

A few days ago I finally got all the electrical plumbing and insulating done. Putting up the 10 sheets of sheetrock was a huge turning point. I have my home back! New cabinets is going to be next year.
    Oh my. That wiring stuff is really worrying. Good thing you got that done. Stuff like that is a very good at burning your house down. I really like old houses, but if I ever move to another old house it's going to stripped down and all the electricity/plumbing would be replaced.

Ripping half your house apart is a lot of fun (no it's not), especially if you find more horror behind what you stripped out. Then again, the reward for getting it done is that much greater.

Are you going to make your cabinets from sheets or full hardwood ?

I suspect once you get your second slab poured you're going to have that same sense of turning point as you transition from foundation work to oven work.
    Yeah that is the milestone I am looking forward at. I really hope I can get that done in a reasonable amount of time. The table saw should make it a lot easier.

The funniest thing is, initially I thought the dome was going to be the biggest job in this project, I WAS WRONG.

Yesterday i wanted a boiled egg.I put it in small kettle pot added water and on put it on fire. I forgot about it until I heard BOOOM from my kitchen. Freaking egg EXPLODED!!! I dont mean popped I mean exploded. Most of it got glued on ceiling.

Could be air trapped inside the egg that expanded, increasing the pressure. Egg shells are pretty tough even though they break easily, the membrane that surrounds the egg helps with that.. There are poky-things that you can use to relieve your egg from such pressure. I must say I never use my poky-thing and eggs have not exploded here before. I do have a cracked egg from time to time.

<HACCP nazi>Repaint your kitchen ? Kitchens should have tiles for hygiene. </HACCP nazi>

While replying to your posts, thanks for those by the way, I forgot I was going to post that I just filled the keystone mould with some concrete. I tapped on it for a couple minutes, lots of air-bubles came out. I did not tap until all the bubbles were gone but I hope it's enough to get the faces of the concrete nice and smooth. This is a test with regular concrete, for the actual keystones I am going to use some ferrite in the mix (black iron oxide). This will darken the concrete a bit. I will also use some of this in my pointing mortar.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 09-15-2014 at 09:49 AM.

I've done that too.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mould filled... Also gives an impression of what the corners are going to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Could be air trapped inside the egg that expanded, increasing the pressure. Egg shells are pretty tough even though they break easily, the membrane that surrounds the egg helps with that.. There are poky-things that you can use to relieve your egg from such pressure. I must say I never use my poky-thing and eggs have not exploded here before. I do have a cracked egg from time to time.

<HACCP nazi>Repaint your kitchen ? Kitchens should have tiles for hygiene. </HACCP nazi>
    It got ceramic tiles on the walls but not on the ceiling. Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP)? Strange to have "poky-thing" and HACCP in same post.

I figured out that it was air expansion that caused it to explode but it surpried me how much force it had in it.

P.s.

I will probably try to recreate explosion one more time before I start with repainting.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast