Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    nice tod, I was leaning black walnut but I knew that wasn't right

I'll give a go at this pic, though its never easy from afar.

tall stack on left from top down

wenge
    fir
    zebrawood
    chestnut
    mahogany
    curly maple
    cherry
    white oak
    ash

small board by itself on left

red alder

middle stack top down

cumaru
    elm
    purple heart
    Brazilian koa
    poplar plywood

right stack top down

cedarbirch
    white pine
    Brazilian cherry
    red oak

lol I probably failed.
    I'd say about half are correct. I don't know all of them either, they aren't all marked!! Should be easy to figure out though, this hardwood supplier only has 100+ different types of wood, lol.

I'll see if I can compare your list tomorrow! I'd say you did pretty well from this single pic.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is what I know for certain (or pretty sure). Maybe I'll post pics of the individual ones I don't know, there seems to be a lot of wood knowledge around here and I like learning.

tall stack on left from top down

wenge - American walnut
    fir - Linden (apparently also known as basswood)
    zebrawood - correct!
    chestnut - Elm
    mahogany - correct!
    curly maple - correct!
    cherry - Spanish cedar (stuff they use in humidors)
    white oak - don't know yet.
    ash - don't know yet.

small board by itself on left

red alder - don't know yet.

middle stack top down

cumaru - Bubinga
    elm - correct!
    purple heart - correct!
    Brazilian koa - don't know yet.
    poplar plywood - correct!

right stack top down

cedarbirch - don't know yet.
    white pine - Maple
    (think you forgot one here, the white board with brown edge, Tulipwood or Yellow poplar.
    Brazilian cherry - Padouk
    red oak - don't know yet.

lol I probably failed.

This is cool. It looks inexpensive, within my skill set, and I like playing in mud. A win, win, win, for me. I'm a little confused about where the food goes, it looks like there's only one opening.

http://www.theyearofmud.com/2009/09/...ob-pizza-oven/

Also, I saw this pic and imagine this is how luctor sleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    This is cool. It looks inexpensive, within my skill set, and I like playing in mud. A win, win, win, for me. I'm a little confused about where the food goes, it looks like there's only one opening.

http://www.theyearofmud.com/2009/09/...ob-pizza-oven/

Also, I saw this pic and imagine this is how luctor sleeps.

Yeah there is only one opening. When you bake bread you take out the fire as soon as it reached a high enough temperature. Put an insulating door in and wait. When you make pizza you push the fire to one side so it keeps heating the oven while the entrance is open. This is is why good insulation is vital, it saves you a lot of fuel!

I'm sorry to inform you that that is not how I sleep, although, it would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Yeah there is only one opening. When you bake bread you take out the fire as soon as it reached a high enough temperature. Put an insulating door in and wait. When you make pizza you push the fire to one side so it keeps heating the oven while the entrance is open. This is is why good insulation is vital, it saves you a lot of fuel!

I wonder if I could just build a fire pit in the bottom. It seems like moving the fire would be a pain in the butt and I'd probably end up burning myself. It also seems like you would get ash in your food. Eww...

I'm sorry to inform you that that is not how I sleep, although, it would be appropriate.

I wonder if I could just build a fire pit in the bottom. It seems like moving the fire would be a pain in the butt and I'd probably end up burning myself. It also seems like you would get ash in your food. Eww...

Actually I don't know if wood ash is that bad for you, provided it's from clean wood. It's mostly potassium minerals and some of the other minerals that you can't burn off such as carbon and nitrogen in the wood. I wouldn't say eat it but I wouldn't worry about it either.

It's definitely easier to make an oven where you make you fire on the oven floor, a separate firebox is possible but it's going to require a lot more planning.

You use a shovel-type pizza-scoopy thing, it has a long handle...you just shove the wood or coals to the sides with it after it's properly heated (about 800F), then use the same utensil to shovel your pizza in the center. If it's thin enough (and it should be pretty thin--take it easy on toppings too), it only takes about 2-3 minutes to cook.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I like 'em all.

Maybe I'm..
    http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/d...ality-disorder

Discover your inner pizza-nality

our inner psyche can be summed up according to your favourite pizza topping, according to world-renowned Smell and Taste expert Dr Alan Hirsch, who teamed up with PizzaExpress to identify what the most popular pizza toppings suggest about someone’s personality. Dr Hirsch’s study also reveals which are the most romantically compatible.

The report looked at eight pizzas, which included five top sellers and three new additions to PizzaExpress’ menu. The Pizza Personalities were then generated using a pool of 500 British adults who took part in a comprehensive range of psychiatric and personality tests. Dr Hirsch used a bespoke form of ‘Pizza Rorschach’ testing – similar to the inkblot tests used to decipher underlying character traits – to analyse what favourite toppings say about a person.
    Among the other discoveries were that people who love a debate or might be described as cautious or good with money would usually opt for a creamy béchamel-based pizza, while having goat’s cheese on your doughy dish means you are most likely to be sensitive and easy-going.
    Personality dictates choice of food
    Dr Hirsch says: “It’s long been known, thanks to Freud, that your personality will dictate what you look for in your food. For example, if you like spicy foods then you tend to be a risk-taker and like the adrenaline rush that comes with it, whereas people who prefer a lot of protein in their meal are often more sociable or outgoing. Food can be such an emotive thing – the taste, texture, smell – and we often prefer certain foods because of an underlying personality trait.”
    Compatibility of Pizza Personalities
    The study also revealed the compatibility of the different Pizza Personalities, proving that the way to a person’s heart is through their stomach. This sort of information is advantageous when it comes to a first date, as Dr Hirsch explains: “You can tell a lot about someone by what they like on their pizza, which is useful when you’re on a date. You don’t just need to ask questions to get to know them; look at what they order to find out if they really are your perfect match or not.”
    This hypothesis could lead to some ‘interesting’ romantic couples. For example, the lover of a chicken topped pizza, whose personality is summed up as competitive, driven and assertive, is well matched with a principled and intelligent partner, who would most likely choose prawns or salmon as a topping. This indicates that someone like tennis ace Andy Murray and someone like the sexy and smart Carol Vorderman could be a match made in heaven.
    According to Dr Hirsch, fans of vegetable topped pizzas are self-absorbed, dramatic and flirtatious and are un-surprisingly most suited to people just like themselves – so perhaps we will see selfie-obsessed Lauren Goodger out for a romantic dinner with MIC charmer, Spencer Matthews, in the near future.

http://www.hospitalityandcateringnew...-pizza-nality/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, well, not much progress here... Working on other peoples' beautiful stuff right now. I guess I am no longer an amateur builder. I am now working for the contractor and expert carpenter/builder that I made my workshop with and that helped me brainstorm this oven.. Not a lot of time to work on other projects as I still have another part time job to do.

I'll try to get the foundation stuff all done so I can start on the oven in spring. With the amount of experience I am gaining right now this should go a bit faster. As soon as I have some time. My time is getting scarce, luckily I know a bit about economics and scarce goods... Well you know the drill.
    "I am a bird"

I have gotten some nice wood to make a countertop out of. Any guesses to what type of wood this is ? It's pretty dense wood though it's not hard as rock. No prize for getting it right beyond +rep and a lot of respect. (they are approx 6" wide by 1 3/4" thick (or so, we do decimals here, 150x40 or so, still rough.))
    These boards have now been glued up. We routed a slot in the sides, about 5/8" deep and 1/2" high. We used strips cut from the excess to fill these slots. Like with a biscuit joiner but then full length. Because we don't have a biscuit joiner and using the same wood makes it easier to route the openings for the ceramic bowls without having biscuits visible. We made another board to use as a table top for the sink in the toilet.. Same wood, same style, that should be nice. Apart from some sawdust I have a nice reference piece of Wenge left. Overall it's really nice wood but I think it's definitely better to work with power tools than hand-tools, it really likes to tear out.

Still a couple more days of vacation. I hope the weather is mild so I can cut the last number of stones I need for the pizza oven base. This project has been sitting idle for nearly two months now and I'm getting a bit restless but freezing weather doesn't make it easier. I don't want to put the tile-saw outside either when it rains (it's electric). And using it inside is not an option since it sprays a mixture of water and brick dust out of the end...
    "I am a bird"

This is what I know for certain (or pretty sure). Maybe I'll post pics of the individual ones I don't know, there seems to be a lot of wood knowledge around here and I like learning.
    Was the first picture with the single stack of wood Bocote?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Was the first picture with the single stack of wood Bocote?
    No, it's actually Wenge (which was mentioned but I don't blame you for missing that in this giant topic).

I looked it up since this woods look very similar but they are not very close family. It certainly seems to be similar in appearance to Wenge. It seems to be similar in other major characteristics as well.
    I must say I had not heard of this species of wood before.. So I learned something new today, cool!
    "I am a bird"

I like winter but I wish it were a bit warmer so I could work on the oven again. I haven't even finished my own and I have got someone who wants me to build one for them. A year ago I was slightly underemployed, right now I've got more work than I can handle... Not sure if I'll even have time left to make pizza's when my oven is done...

I thought I might give this topic a little nudge... Spring is about 2 months away. I've got the bricks cut to finish the base. All I need is suitable weather to work with masonry cement.
    "I am a bird"

Not sure if I'll even have time left to make pizza's when my oven is done...
    NO! Whatever is going on, other than a severely sick child, can wait on pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    NO! Whatever is going on, other than a severely sick child, can wait on pizza!
    Well I don't have kids. Although I take care of my pets as if they are...

I'm ashamed to admit that in the last couple of months I haven't made that many pizzas.. Less then once a week and usually no more than 3 or 4. On the upside, I've been able to spend a lot more money on tools I want, which is just about as good as pizza.. I know it's not a pizza substitute but I'll live with it !
    "I am a bird"

Once you're done acquiring all the tailed tools you need you're in the right geographical location to search out the nice original cordless ones;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	204216d.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	3671

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One can only dream about a toolbox that nice...

I really like high end hand tools though, as accurate as the user, unlike some (most) power tools.
    "I am a bird"

One can only dream about a toolbox that nice...

I really like high end hand tools though, as accurate as the user, unlike some (most) power tools.
    Kind of out of place in a thread about masonry and pizza...........Sorry..

Make sure you keep your work covered. Ice can ruin something like that fast without weather shed.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I follow a family on youtube that moved to the Ozarks to go off the grid and become self sustaining. In this episode the built a brick pizza oven. Figured I would share it. I like all of their videos, very interesting. The old guy with the gun on his side, yeah, that's me in 25 years. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru

Make sure you keep your work covered. Ice can ruin something like that fast without weather shed.
    I've had it covered for a couple of weeks already, ever since it appeared winter was coming. I did find that some of my unused bricks were frozen together, no apparent damage so I covered those as well, the freezing weather is going away next week, we'll probably get another round later so lets hope I don't have to get new ones. Although, I have to get new bricks anyways, I only had about 80 left and I still need a few hundred I think.

Kind of out of place in a thread about masonry and pizza...........Sorry..
    Well there's no pizza here now so nice tools is a good substitute.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
    I follow a family on youtube that moved to the Ozarks to go off the grid and become self sustaining. In this episode the built a brick pizza oven. Figured I would share it. I like all of their videos, very interesting. The old guy with the gun on his side, yeah, that's me in 25 years. Lol!

Thats a pretty simple but decent oven but perfect to cook in just as any other, might not be so practical for pizza's though. Without the door it loses too much heat and with the door it's kinda hard to make a pizza a minute... Good for pretty much anything else though. Thanks for sharing.
    "I am a bird"

The young father who is shown carrying a plastic gun looks to be in his early 30's........

Took me a bit since they don't tell ya' up front but it looks like their lil' farm is in Madison County Ar.

The young father who is shown carrying a plastic gun looks to be in his early 30's........

Took me a bit since they don't tell ya' up front but it looks like their lil' farm is in Madison County Ar.
    Lol, Zac is younger than me. I was talking about his father-in-law, Tim, with the white beard. He has a revolver.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Nothing says Freedom like outlawing everything
    I make videos at my YouTube channel. Home of my aquaponics diary. Feel free to subscribe, thumbs up, comment or leave nasty messages, I love them all.

Yeah, I bitcoin! And I love donations!! 1Fs2JaaWVhp69yvUxuTnofomowejZLuMru

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol, Zac is younger than me. I was talking about his father-in-law, Tim, with the white beard. He has a revolver.
    It's bad when iron in leather is so common I don't even notice it........Well actually it's good...

I do, for some reason, notice plastic guns?

It's bad when iron in leather is so common I don't even notice it........Well actually it's good...

I do, for some reason, notice plastic guns?
    They melt when they get too close to the pizza oven...
    "I am a bird"

I have decided that spring has arrived! We actually got some nice sunny weather yesterday. Not too much wind and several degrees above freezing. We may still get some very light freezing by night but I'll ignore that.

I've put the tile-saw outside, ready to make any of the strange cut bricks that I couldn't saw in advance. I hope to get the exterior brick wall up to the same level as the supporting blocks in the middle. Today that is.

I have quit using the frame with the piece of string as a guide, it took too much time to set up. Instead I now have a small X-Y bubble-level screwed onto a piece of hardwood plywood that I use while cementing bricks in place. I also made a jig that clamps on the interior walls and has a nail in the exact center. I attached an arm to this jig that I made sure was level. Then I measured up from the brick wall and scribed horizontal lines on the block wall, 58mm apart. 50 for the stone, 8 for the joint.

These lines are my guide for the height of the bricks, then I use a level both as a straightedge to make sure the wall is flat as well as vertical. Then I just put the small level on top of the bricks and see if they need some tappin'.

So yeah, winter is over, this project has been revived.
    "I am a bird"

I have decided that spring has arrived! We actually got some nice sunny weather yesterday. Not too much wind and several degrees above freezing. We may still get some very light freezing by night but I'll ignore that.

I've put the tile-saw outside, ready to make any of the strange cut bricks that I couldn't saw in advance. I hope to get the exterior brick wall up to the same level as the supporting blocks in the middle. Today that is.

I have quit using the frame with the piece of string as a guide, it took too much time to set up. Instead I now have a small X-Y bubble-level screwed onto a piece of hardwood plywood that I use while cementing bricks in place. I also made a jig that clamps on the interior walls and has a nail in the exact center. I attached an arm to this jig that I made sure was level. Then I measured up from the brick wall and scribed horizontal lines on the block wall, 58mm apart. 50 for the stone, 8 for the joint.

These lines are my guide for the height of the bricks, then I use a level both as a straightedge to make sure the wall is flat as well as vertical. Then I just put the small level on top of the bricks and see if they need some tappin'.

So yeah, winter is over, this project has been revived.
    Yay!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I got a bit further today, then had to run some errands and now I have to cook... Nonetheless it should be at the top of the keystones by the end of the week. Sadly I'll only have an hour a day to work on it, and it shouldn't rain. Maybe I'll cut some more bricks after dinner, we'll see.

I'll try to snap a few pics and upload them tonight but my neighbors asked me to have a drink later.. I'm too busy lately.
    "I am a bird"

No damage from freezing but I did notice that some lime-ish material must have been on the brush I used to clean the bricks before winter. Sucks but I can probably get that cleaned off later when I'm doing all the joints.

Almost ready to pour the oven slab. Apart from the staining I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out.
    "I am a bird"

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast